Television Andor (Star Wars series) - Disney+

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This show is so good I wonder how it snuck through Disney's control of the Star Wars universe.

It's genuinely smart, artful and subtle.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This show is so good I wonder how it snuck through Disney's control of the Star Wars universe.

It's genuinely smart, artful and subtle.
All they had to do was dropping the force which became more like Marvel superpower type stupidity under di$ney.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
All they had to do was dropping the force which became more like Marvel superpower type stupidity under di$ney.
I feel the decision to stop cramming in fanservice and dumb cute animals and droids with the intent to sell toys to children is especially smart. This actually feels like it's targeting adults. Which, let's face it most Star Wars fans are.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I feel the decision to stop cramming in fanservice and dumb cute animals and droids with the intent to sell toys to children is especially smart. This actually feels like it's targeting adults. Which, let's face it most Star Wars fans are.
Ah yes, that too. Sadly it was George who started this fetish, but disney took it on another level. At least George invented Ahsoka and podracing just before selling his baby to the evil empire.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Would the inevitable dom love scene after Dedra warms up to Syril be too much for Disney or will that happen off-screen?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's a whole host of things, but the adult take on Star Wars has certainly improved the franchise. Think back to all of the previous tv shows and films, how many times has a side character died? In this show, we've already had several of the good guys die, the show has made the Empire truly frightening. The improved world building by FINALLY going to new worlds and new locations. Better characters, with interesting dialogue that actually matters further along the show. It's not just a show that rushes from one set piece to another. The set pieces are just the cherry on top, with the real show being the build up between.

I think it helps an awful lot that they decided to split the season up into small chunks and dedicate a writing/directing team to each chunk rather than having them change episode by episode. It's more consistent with the storytelling this way.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a whole host of things, but the adult take on Star Wars has certainly improved the franchise. Think back to all of the previous tv shows and films, how many times has a side character died? In this show, we've already had several of the good guys die, the show has made the Empire truly frightening. The improved world building by FINALLY going to new worlds and new locations. Better characters, with interesting dialogue that actually matters further along the show. It's not just a show that rushes from one set piece to another. The set pieces are just the cherry on top, with the real show being the build up between.

I think it helps an awful lot that they decided to split the season up into small chunks and dedicate a writing/directing team to each chunk rather than having them change episode by episode. It's more consistent with the storytelling this way.
That's a good point yes. Stormtroopers no longer being used as dumb bowling pins to be knocked over, but as the frightening arm of a fascist regime helps immensely. Also roots itself in our world a bit with the unjust arrest by that stormtrooper cop.

Hamnat

This episode was great. This was what I wanted last week from the prison scenes. They upped the tension, and stakes, they started adding in "the plan" and making enemies and allies start forming.

acnumber9

Think back to all of the previous tv shows and films, how many times has a side character died?
A few times in the original trilogy and quite a few more in the prequels. Then again in the sequel trilogy. They killed every single one of the original main human cast in that trilogy. It pretty much happens all the time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
A few times in the original trilogy and quite a few more in the prequels. Then again in the sequel trilogy. They killed every single one of the original main human cast in that trilogy. It pretty much happens all the time.
The only normies that died were Anakins mum in the films from memory. All the others were Jedi heroes. I'm not talking about random people/soldiers with no lines/one sentence, but side characters that aren't Jedi heroes that represent every day people.

From the recent trilogy, I can only think of Laura Derns character. Manda had that wee alien engineer guy.

acnumber9

The only normies that died were Anakins mum in the films from memory. All the others were Jedi heroes. I'm not talking about random people/soldiers with no lines/one sentence, but side characters that aren't Jedi heroes that represent every day people.

From the recent trilogy, I can only think of Laura Derns character. Manda had that wee alien engineer guy.
There was a guy called Han Solo died at one stage.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You’ve a lot of weird rules for this.
To be fair, I have twisted the initial point as you did correctly point out side characters do die. But as the films have focused on the Jedi those side characters tend to be powerful heroes rather than just normal people. The normal people end up as cannonfodder with the perhaps one sentence. Zak for example in ESB. The only character I would say that defies that is Rose. Han Solo for me would be classed as a hero character as he's a General and survived many gunfights/battles.

I find Andor and Rogue One refreshing because its just normal people trying to fight up against the Empire. Many of them who will ultimately fail and be killed, Andor himself hasn't even really gotten involved in any gunfights either so far. He was carried in Episode 3 by Luthen and not involved in the fight in Episode 6. It's certainly a refreshing show and i've yet to roll my eyes at a character having clear plot armour to avoid a deadly situation.

stepic

I’ve loved it. Really enjoyed the realism and revolutionary aspect. Only bit so far I’ve felt forced was how quick he wound up in jail after those first 6 or so episodes which were just intense. For me this is better than Mando. Best SW post OT

also I’m now in celeb love with Adria Arjona

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Would the inevitable dom love scene after Dedra warms up to Syril be too much for Disney or will that happen off-screen?
Probably happen offscreen like the earlier implied sex scene but I hope they at least leave the strap on she uses in the background in shot

Swedish_Plumber

I love the Mandalorian and it has more classic star wars about it, but this show is my favourite now. Love how dark it is and how much it’s delving into the unseen aspects of both the rebellion and empire.

hope Andy Serkis somehow managed to make it

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Escape from Ferrix, the heist, penal colony... stuff happening, still two more to go.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Enjoyed the final speech about sacrifice when earlier on in the episode Mon Mothma had been deciding whether to sacrifice her own daughter's future. Also that throwaway comment from Luthen about supplying the ISB spy with information to allow him to rise the ranks, no doubt sacrificing hundreds of Rebels in the process. He had some killer lines in that speech.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So damn good. The speeches in this episode were brilliant.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Imagine if Rings of Power had writers like this.
Dude, if only. But I guess the universe favors balance in the force: this and Hot D cancels out RoP and The Witcher disasters.

I spotted some nice symbolism: the elevator with the guy meeting Luther almost matching the elevators in the prison, showing the prison the guy himself was in and emphasized by the conversation regarding his daughter holding him hostage to his situation. Luthen then calls him a hero while Cassian is making a heroic escape. If that makes any sense...could probably have done a better job knitting that together…

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
The focus on building up the characters shows Disney what they could do with all other Star Wars shows and films. I re-watched Rogue One the other week.

I was a bit confused by the ending, does that mean only two of the prisoners made it to land or am I reading into it too much.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
The focus on building up the characters shows Disney what they could do with all other Star Wars shows and films. I re-watched Rogue One the other week.

I was a bit confused by the ending, does that mean only two of the prisoners made it to land or am I reading into it too much.
We saw many escaping, but as far as the story is concerned it revolves around Cassian and the inmate who was with him was also in Rogue One so that ties in together. The fall out of the prison break will likely be shown in the next episode where they might touch upon the number of escapees and how many of them they have managed to capture and kill and how many are still at large

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
That was hands down the best 45 minutes or so of telly I have watched in a long, long time. Edge of your seat stuff. Excellent.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
We saw many escaping, but as far as the story is concerned it revolves around Cassian and the inmate who was with him was also in Rogue One so that ties in together. The fall out of the prison break will likely be shown in the next episode where they might touch upon the number of escapees and how many of them they have managed to capture and kill and how many are still at large
I never copped that other prisoner was in Rogue One

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
IIRC, this season covers 1 year in Star Wars’ timeline & then season 2 will cover the next 4 years until Rogue One. It’s going to be interesting if they can maintain the same tone & tension in season 2 when we start seeing big time-jumps.

evil_geko

Fantastic series this, it is crazy that it's not at least as popular as Mandalorian. This is one of, if not, the best Star Wars series. I guess when you don't have fancy lightsabers and bounty hunters, popularity drops down.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fantastic series this, it is crazy that it's not at least as popular as Mandalorian, one of, if not, the best Star Wars series. I guess when you don't have fancy lightsabers and bounty hunters, popularity drops down.
I think it's one of those shows that will slowly gain in popularity once word of mouth spreads. Mandalorian was so popular because lets face it, Baby Yoda stole the show and was good meme material that dragged in a lot of people that wouldn't normally watch it. Andor is a show that is basically very un Star Wars like in it's delivery, it's what a lot of people have been crying out for since Empire Strikes Back and yet a lot of Star Wars fans haven't bothered watching it yet.

I'll be honest, when the show was first announced I thought it was going to be bland and boring. I liked the concept of it being about the Rebellion but Andor himself wasn't a character I overly connected too while watching Rogue One. I'm totally won over now though and boy is it going to make Rogue One so much better as a result.