g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

arnie_ni

He has no control over where his saves go. Made a very good save that went straight to a Fulham player that had an awkward header wide.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Yeah, the problem is when some posters decide to shit on somebody, they will do it no matter what.

First he doesn't save, now his saves are not in controlled direction.

It's a whole new level of football analysis for this forum, congratulations.

Rex Banner

He has no control over where his saves go. Made a very good save that went straight to a Fulham player that had an awkward header wide.
I thought this, only a matter of time until we concede from one of them.

Reminds me of when De Gea joined and he would always parry shots straight to opposition players.

Pickle85

Yeah, the problem is when some posters decide to shit on somebody, they will do it no matter what.

So are you saying that goalkeepers have no control over where their saves go then and that it's ridiculous to suggest they should?

Longshanks

Decent enough today, goes too long to often with his distribution for my liking and he does seem to have a habit of parrying shots back into the danger zone. But overall he was good today.

Does seem to have settled now hopefully he can continue putting positive performances in.

Judas

Open to offers
His technique is absolutely bizarre for a top level keeper. But he had a good game today and made some massive saves, even if they were done in quite a unconventional fashion.

Chinchy98

Performances have improved which is great.

His ball handling skills still worry me a bit, feel like he’s due a palm into his own net or into the path of an on-rushing attacker. Everything is batted away in a rash manner it feels.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Was solid today. Made some decent saves. Improved from the start of the season

crossy1686

career ending
His technique is absolutely bizarre for a top level keeper. But he had a good game today and made some massive saves, even if they were done in quite a unconventional fashion.
I know, he makes the weirdest saves but they stay out of the net so you can’t really complain.

Mwooyo

Good performance today but he goes long far too much. I still don't understand why we begun playing this hoofball thing...am not surprised hojlund is struggling with it. They never play floor passes to him, its like whenever they see him, they see "big and tall, prefers aerial balls" and immediately go long...its horrible. Martial too was struggling with this nonsense as well. Ten Hag needs to fix that otherwise he will escape the fire

RedIan

Kept us in the game ina spell we were under the cosh, after a shocking start to his United career hes starting to show some form.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It is a valid point though. Yes its wonderful it didn't go in but its obvious some of his saves are unorthodox

arnie_ni

I mean there's been a few instances of it the last few games. There was none before because he wasn't saving anything.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's saving more but I'm instantly reminded of some poster that kept making this point before he had even signed for us.

arnie_ni

It is a valid point though. Yes its wonderful it didn't go in but its obvious some of his saves are unorthodox
He had the one against city as well that he ended up taking of halaand right in the 6 yard box.

Mercurial

His technique reminds of a Tube Man. As long as they don't go in its all good. We need to offer him better defensive cover at the end of the day to minimize shots against.

Alemar

His ball handling skills still worry me a bit, feel like he’s due a palm into his own net or into the path of an on-rushing attacker. Everything is batted away in a rash manner it feels.
He needs to work on his handling, but it’s a more general matter. That said, he is surely better in the air than DDG was

crossy1686

career ending

You could argue that if you don’t know where his saves are going to go then there’s no way to anticipate a rebound if you’re a striker.

Sylar

Clean sheet and win will be good for him and the defence. If we're struggling to score the least we can do is make it hard for teams to score against us

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Considering goalkeepers are coached to push the ball away towards the touchline...

Oscar Bonavena

I really don't want to shit on him as he's had a clean sheet, made some saves and provides his defenders with an option to pass to that DDG could never provide BUT.....

... that technique that he uses to save shots where he's diving to the side is gonna cost us goals this season. It's like he tries to bat the ball away with his wrists volleyball style rather than just palm it to the sides, and it goes back into the danger zone.

el3mel

The technique he saves the ball with is really bad. Like seriously I think there are non GK players who saved the ball with better techniques than whatever the hell he does.

Onana doesn't seem like an actual goalkeeper for me.

AdNani

The technique he saves the ball with is really bad. Like seriously I think there are non GK players who saved the ball with better techniques than whatever the hell he does.

Onana doesn't seem like an actual goalkeeper for me.
Strange that he’s played for top teams in Holland, Italy and now England, with technique worse than Outfielders, go figure.

el3mel

Strange that he’s played for top teams in Holland, Italy and now England, with technique worse than Outfielders, go figure.
Don't give a damn where he played before. Someone like Antony is playing for Man United right now and costed 70m even though he's easily one of the worst wingers in the whole league.

Levenstein

I hope that technique thing is a form/new club jitters issue and will go better with a time as well.
Everyone has their own style and if it works for him, then there is no reason to keep moaning about it. If he keeps costing us, then that's a problem.

I believe we gonna see soon more confidence in the passing department as well, cause it feels like Ten Hag has told him to play safe at the moment. Mostly to ease him into the game and to create a bigger bond and understanding between him and the defenders. Players look for him a lot with the passes. If he's got the ball there should be more movement and openings from the midfielders. (Just an example - Eriksen was very stagnant against Fulham). It's difficult to play the balls when the players are hiding.

JediSith

I wish the pundits and media who are quick to highlight a players poor form, or mistakes, would also acknowledge when he’s now had just as many games in row being very good so looks like he’s playing well.

He’s been very good for the past 5 matches now. Definitely the match before the Copenhagen save was when I thought he was quietly good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think a top top class shot stopper could save the last two.

The last one especially, his positioning / footwork is pretty poor. He takes a slight step to the right for some reason.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Don’t actually expect him to ever really save anything. One things for sure de Gea made saves even throughout the games he made mistakes he still made some quality stops. With Onana it’s basically hit the target and it’s probably a goal.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s a midfielder we’ve put in goal. Just don’t let him face any shots and we’ll be alright.

Zed is not dead

Some good moments, some very shite moments. As usual with him since the beginning of the season.

When I look at Barca or Madrid or Bayern, what they have is first and foremost elite shotstoppers, who happen to be able to pass the ball. Not the other way around.

Of course you now need keepers comfortable on the ball, but you can’t build a great team without a great keeper (in the first sense of the word, ie he keeps the ball out of the net) and a great striker.

Unfortunately for us he’ll leak a lot of goals, so we’ll have to get used to this kind of games where we‘ll score but also concede a lot

Ágætis Byrjun

No point in bringing past performances, but if we don't make it out of the group, he'll be the main reason for it. Contrary to our PL form, we've actually been playing decent football in all 4 CL games and still bottom of the group because of him.

arnie_ni

His actual goal keeping is poor at best. Even when he saves shots he has no control.

Then for his ball playing etc, we aren't good enough to make use of it.