5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

What a load of bollocks.
Which top club do you believe would take Insna over who they’ve already got? Let’s limit it just to the PL.

City, no.
Arsenal, no.
Liverpool, no.
Spurs, no.
Newcastle, no.
Villa, no.
Brighton, no.
West Ham, no.
Brighton, no.
Chelsea, no.
Brentford, no.
Wolves, no.

I’ll grant you that Fulham might give it serious consideration. Fine, you got me.

Oranges038

Which top club do you believe would take Insna over who they’ve already got? Let’s limit it just to the PL.

City, no.
Arsenal, no.
Liverpool, no.
Spurs, no.
Newcastle, no.
Villa, no.
Brighton, no.
West Ham, no.
Brighton, no.
Chelsea, no.
Brentford, no.
Wolves, no.

I’ll grant you that Fulham might give it serious consideration. Fine, you got me.
The whole post was a load of bollocks.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

City, no.
Arsenal, no.
Liverpool, no.
Spurs, no.
Newcastle, no.
Villa, no.
Brighton, no.
West Ham, no.
Brighton, no.
Chelsea, no.
Brentford, no.
Wolves, no.

Are you talking about Onana here?

Marcelinho87

Who from that list would fall over themselves to sign Onana as soon as the next transfer window is open? We are all ears.
Conveniently forgetting he was nominated for the best goalkeeper in the world just last season but let’s write his career off based on his time at this shithouse of a club where even the very best become crap.

Gordon Godot

Conveniently forgetting he was nominated for the best goalkeeper in the world just last season but let’s write his career off based on his time at this shithouse of a club where even the very best become crap.
Nominated, so what? he was available for a free last summer, his careers stats are pretty average

Mmm-Qatarian

We're already reaching Harry Maguire levels of people overstating how poor Onana has been.

The idea that Onana would not be preferable to the likes of Jason Steele, Robert Sanchez and Mark Flekken in goal is a bit silly to me. Even this season, I would argue he has performed better than all three, which I understand is not necessarily glowing praise of him but it does highlight how ridiculous some peoples' criticisms are getting.

Marcelinho87

We're already reaching Harry Maguire levels of people overstating how poor Onana has been.

The idea that Onana would not be preferable to the likes of Jason Steele, Robert Sanchez and Mark Flekken in goal is a bit silly to me. Even this season, I would argue he has performed better than all three, which I understand is not necessarily glowing praise of him but it does highlight how ridiculous some peoples' criticisms are getting.
Ignoring the CL and taking into account his PL form he has been better than the majority of goalkeepers considering he has the third highest amount of shots against him in the whole league…. Sheff United and Luton with only more, that is damning.

Berbaclass

Ignoring the CL and taking into account his PL form he has been better than the majority of goalkeepers considering he has the third highest amount of shots against him in the whole league…. Sheff United and Luton with only more, that is damning.
Would probably indicate that the team around him are letting him down.

Mmm-Qatarian

Yeah, he's honestly been fine in the Prem. Unfortunately his mistakes have pretty much all come in the same competition, and that's cost us big time in that competition, but I really don't think he's been as crap as people make out.

Berbaclass

Yeah, he's honestly been fine in the Prem. Unfortunately his mistakes have pretty much all come in the same competition, and that's cost us big time in that competition, but I really don't think he's been as crap as people make out.
People are conveniently also forgetting his match winning penalty save against Copenhagen which kept us in contention really.

ShinjiNinja26

I’d love to see how many goals the likes of Ederson would ship if he was facing 25 shots a game. Onana’s made some mistakes no doubt but he’s performing a lot better than what’s being made out. The team are doing him no favours at all, we concede chances far too easily. When Everton are having 26 attempts against us something is seriously wrong with the team as a whole, this isn’t an individual problem.

Oranges038

Who from that list would fall over themselves to sign Onana as soon as the next transfer window is open? We are all ears.
All bar City and Liverpool would take him.

And every one of those teams would probably consider him an option of they were in the market for a keeper. They aren't which is why Utd got a free run at him.

lex talionis

Not a persuasive argument. Sancho was incredible at Dortmund but he’s been shit for us. Pogba was unbeatable at Juve but shit for us. Rashford had one purple patch. Martial had one purple patch. Casemiro was mint at Resl. Varane is a Real legend.

I can go on.

erikcred

Every one of those teams would probably consider him an option of they were in the market for a keeper. They aren't which is why Utd got a free run at him.
We really need to make our minds.

On the one hand, it's "Onana's only been putting in mediocre performances because he's having to face many shots" and on the other hand, "teams in the PL who are likely to face many shots when playing any half-decent team would love to have Onana in goal".

If anything, the only clubs who may be interested in Onana are the top clubs because of the whole quality with the feet being just as important as shot stopping for them. But lower down? With his suspect technique he'll be spilling routine shots at the feet of poachers up and down the country.

Gordon Godot

I’d love to see how many goals the likes of Ederson would ship if he was facing 25 shots a game. Onana’s made some mistakes no doubt but he’s performing a lot better than what’s being made out. The team are doing him no favours at all, we concede chances far too easily. When Everton are having 26 attempts against us something is seriously wrong with the team as a whole, this isn’t an individual problem.
This seems another attempt to rewrite history. A lot of keepers struggle when they move to the top teams as they face a lot fewer shots so their concentration has to be near perfect. So facing lots of shot in itself should bot a be a problem. Too many of the goals onana has let in have just been awful technique or positioning

Oranges038

In terms of a modern progressive style of football he is arguably our best player.
That's the thing about picking a keeper now, you pick one that suits the how you want to play. It's easy to see why ETH went for Onana.

It's very easy to say no top team will look at him, well if they needed a keeper. Newcastle would, Arsenal, Brighton, Spurs, Brentford toobecause he has a skillset that suits there style of play.

Berbaclass

That's the thing about picking a keeper now, you pick one that suits the how you want to play. It's easy to see why ETH went for Onana.

It's very easy to say no top team will look at him, well if they needed a keeper. Newcastle would, Arsenal, Brighton, Spurs, Brentford toobecause he has a skillset that suits there style of play.
If City sold Ederson they’d take him. Pep loves him and raved about him after the final I think

Marcelinho87

Not a persuasive argument. Sancho was incredible at Dortmund but he’s been shit for us. Pogba was unbeatable at Juve but shit for us. Rashford had one purple patch. Martial had one purple patch. Casemiro was mint at Resl. Varane is a Real legend.

I can go on.
exactly, almost like the problem isn’t the player but is this football club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This seems another attempt to rewrite history. A lot of keepers struggle when they move to the top teams as they face a lot fewer shots so their concentration has to be near perfect. So facing lots of shot in itself should bot a be a problem. Too many of the goals onana has let in have just been awful technique or positioning
:lol: That’s incredible logic. It’s easier being a goalkeeper who faces loads of shots than it is being a goalkeeper who faces very few shots. Amazing!

The concentration thing is a real issue but that’s just a unique challenge that keepers at top clubs need to deal with. Which is completely separate from whether it’s easier to keep a clean sheet facing 20 shots per game than it is facing 5 (hint, it isn’t)

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

That’s just nonsense.

lex talionis

exactly, almost like the problem isn’t the player but is this football club.
The seriousness of the problem with United is obvious to all but is oblivious to the owners, who either are guilty of willful blindness or willful indifference. We bring in all these top players and if it's not thing or another but they almost all turn to shit.

Even Fellaini, who should have never worn a United shirt, was never the player for us that he was with Everson. Mata, Di Maria, Pogba, Cavani, Ronaldo...the list is quite long.

But this thread is about Onana. He's just not a top keeper. Is he capable of being good enough? Probably, but he'll never be at De Gea's level of last year, let alone peak Dave four seasons ago. His shot-stopping is substandard, if not atrocious. His footwork is his calling card but is nothing special. His command of the box is slightly better than Dave's but we saw him flapping at balls that thankfully did not result in goals just last weekend and it wasn't the first time.

A shame that the circus at Old Trafford has come to this.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Based on FBREF and WhoScored, the stats say he's one of the best in the League so far this season and on course for the Golden Gloves, who'd have thunk? This won't convince those who have already made up their minds that he's useless, but it might buy some patience from those (like me) still on the fence about his ability to make it in the PL.

Premier League XI of the season so far: Andre Onana keeps his place in goal (football365.com)

Premier League keepers ranked: Alisson and Onana battling with Luton stopper (football365.com)

He's definitely not passing the eye test and he might not be doing an excellent job since we signed him, but he has not been as poor as many are led to believe.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That pass to Garnacho, should have got him an assist. That was my theory at the start of the season when I had him in my fantasy team!

RedOrange

He's definitely not passing the eye test and he might not be doing an excellent job since we signed him, but he has not been as poor as many are led to believe.
Sometimes keepers let in a few ugly goals in between worldie saves. Over the long term the important question is whether they're giving up more goals than the guy we could replace them with.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did ok again tonight and wasnt at fault for the goal.
I’m gonna be picky and say his footwork was poor. One more step to the left before he dives and he’s saving that. Watch the replay. He plants his left foot too soon. That’s nit picking and he made up for that with a brave block against Jackson earlier on (the sort of thing DDG just didn’t do)

Distribution was very good though. Against Galatasary and tonight we’re finally starting to see that really composed passing out from the back I was hoping he’d add to the team.

Mike Smalling

Also his distribution was much better today, good stuff.
Yeah, very noticeable tonight. He can pick out a fullback or midfielder in good positions with either foot - that’s actually pretty impressive.

It’s up and down with Onana, but tonight was pretty good.

Litch

I think the shot was scuffed which is always a nightmare for keepers....

Chinchy98

The below thread is great analysis and echoes my thoughts: https://x.com/jhdharrison1/status/1732510908469985451?s=46&t=VSHmiQTFzH1S46eXOOqeCg

He is way too erratic. Some great distribution and the save from Jackson was great, but he lets too many soft goals in.

His performances vary too much, in game and from game to game.We would be better served with a keeper with a stable baseline of performance.

Clangers/soft goals conceded sprinkled at regular intervals between other good play is not going to be good enough as we get better.