View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Litch

He just not DDG and the vultures were circling from that moment on....he was always going to be a failure....Any player starting this club at this moment in time, its almost an impossible task.

Not sure what he could have done differently today? None of the goals were remotely saveable.

Kostov

On top of being a howler merchant, he has a knack of making every shot on target impossible to save or borderline world class.
And what happened to command of the box and catching high balls? Abysmal signing and the cherry on top for the ETH “era”.

Oranges038

Not sure what he could have done differently today? None of the goals were remotely saveable.
Just a load of gobshites who think DDG was still the best keeper in the league, despite the 5 years of shite he served up.

Second one you see a keeper save every now and then, maybe 4 or 5 out of 10. The other 2, he had no chance of.

C'est Moi Cantona

He just not DDG and the vultures were circling from that moment on....he was always going to be a failure....Any player starting this club at this moment in time, its almost an impossible task.
Not true, many were ready to move on from De Gea, just not to this.

And tbf a decent keeper can be a hero when the team is struggling overall, like De Gea was, but it's only proven very quickly that Onana just isn't very good at stopping goals going in.

el3mel

Any goalkeeper worth his salary would save the 2nd goal. It was shot straight at him. He just took ages to react and jump.

saivet

I think the 2nd goal was far from unsaveable. It would have been a good save but the ball wasn't that far away from him or particularly quick.

I'm certainly hoping that a top keeper can save that header.

The first disallowed goal was shocking.

el3mel

Just a load of gobshites who think DDG was still the best keeper in the league, despite the 5 years of shite he served up.

Second one you see a keeper save every now and then, maybe 4 or 5 out of 10. The other 2, he had no chance of.
De Gea at his worst is twice the keeper prime Onana is. He saves balls Onana can only dream of coming close to save them.

Nevermind comparing prime De Gea to Onana as this will be embarrassing.

Anyway that's not the point. De Gea left at the right time. The issue we replaced him with a far worse keeper in every possible metric, then we are now trying to convince ourselves that we didn't sign a flop and one day Onana will turn good.

It's just what we have been doing with every awful signing of the last few years, before conceding to the fact we fecked up again, then we pass through that denial phase again with the next flop.

ti vu

Technique, handling and footwork.

Good lord the Dutch system is so crap, it's so overhyped and arrogant. Any manager that comes here gets found out so quicky.

All this crap about angles and positions is all footballing homeopathy, sounds good, on paper is good but in reality it's crao. They can't set teams up, they struggle if another team actually tries against them, they can't motivate players, and they focus so much on their own hot air about how football should be played that they end up creating nothing.

A keeper like Onana should be playing for Utrecht. He's wonderfully under par.
Dutch/Ajax system produced VdS. I would pay anything to have VdS right now.

The issue is not the system, but our own recruitment policy when again we prioritized to pay big fee for high profile player in lesser urgent position by letting the manager picking the transfer target. We're stuck in a bizarre situation where, Onana is being exposed for what he's not that great, while his best quality is being negated since we don't exactly utilize build play from the back as much as a possession team should.
For the 2nd he jumps up and almost backwards rather than towards where he can intercept the ball. His feet are rooted and he just dives rather than taking a step to get his motion going in that direction and as a result he doesn't get far enough across in time.

I don't think there was enough time (split second reaction time) to take a step before diving. The issue is his initial position when moving diagonally backward across the goal, leaving his left leg behind when the header connected with the ball. Because of this footwork (left leg), he's flat footed without the extra spring from the jump to better leap further toward the right (having dragged his right leg back balance before jumping).

Last edited:

Oscar Bonavena

Can't blame him for goals 1 and 3 but 2nd goal wasn't great. He concedes a lot of those soft looking goals that's aren't exactly howlers but there's always a niggly feeling that a top class keeper would've saved that.

Tavernier's disallowed goal was a typical Onana mistake that we'll see a lot more of due to his ridiculous saving technique of "batting" the ball and having no control over where it goes, more often than not straight back into the danger zone.

Bondi77

I wish someone on the coaching staff would tell him to push the ball away from the danger area when he makes a save.
Fecking basic shit is'nt it??

Bondi77

I imagine we will be seeing our No.1 once Onana heads off for his international duties.

El Presidente

I don't even care whether or not he could have done better for some of the goals today. Everyone knew very clearly what we are getting with this guy. Average shot stopping ability, occasional howler, but prime ball playing skills. Like an 11th outfield player.
Now, you get this guy in and the manager goes "you know that thing you're very good at? I want to you to completely forget about it and hoof the ball as far as you can".

Blood Mage

His passing is great to watch at times, but his shot stopping, reflexes and positioning are shambolic and you can't afford that in the PL. I think we will have to buy a new goalkeeper in the summer.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think we have wasted £45m+ on this signing. If he comes for free, maybe its worth a punt. But he is not, its a big money signing for a keeper, he should at least get the basic (shot stopping, reflexes, positioning) right.

Dex_Utd

Onana has his positives and De Gea had his. But both of them lack the thing we miss the most, which is a goalkeeper who can command his area, knows when to come out to catch the crosses/corners and does the basic things right. Someone like VDS.
The amount of headers we concede from crosses and corners is just criminal.

massey

Onana has his positives and De Gea had his. But both of them lack the thing we miss the most, which is a goalkeeper who can command his area, knows when to come out to catch the crosses/corners and does the basic things right. Someone like VDS.
The amount of headers we concede from crosses and corners is just criminal.
Yep we needed a proper commanding keeper for years since ddg's regression.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I imagine we will be seeing our No.1 once Onana heads off for his international duties.
Uh-huh, Turkish gem is gonna tear the place up. This, I believe, is what science calls 'grasping at straws'

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Something change about him. When he first came in, he's way more confident and had an aura of a boss.

Now he looks afraid and timid.

Amira

It's just what we have been doing with every awful signing of the last few years, before conceding to the fact we fecked up again, then we pass through that denial phase again with the next flop.
This is very accurate. We’ve replaced past prime players with younger worse ones.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Something change about him. When he first came in, he's way more confident and had an aura of a boss.

He realized he is not good enough for EPL at this level?

erikcred

Acting the big man in public against the often booed Maguire during a preseason game is not an "aura of a boss".

Or maybe you mean in his early interviews where he pulled up our strikers for not scoring?

Because not once on the pitch has he displayed any such aura in his actual job of goalkeeping.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Dutch/Ajax system produced VdS. I would pay anything to have VdS right now.

The issue is not the system, but our own recruitment policy when again we prioritized to pay big fee for high profile player in lesser urgent position by letting the manager picking the transfer target. We're stuck in a bizarre situation where, Onana is being exposed for what he's not that great, while his best quality is being negated since we don't exactly utilize build play from the back as much as a possession team should.

I don't think there was enough time (split second reaction time) to take a step before diving. The issue is his initial position when moving diagonally backward across the goal, leaving his left leg behind when the header connected with the ball. Because of this footwork (left leg), he's flat footed without the extra spring from the jump to better leap further toward the right (having dragged his right leg back balance before jumping).
I get VDS but let's be clear, that was 30 years ago and he was a very good keeper, fundamentally.

The rest of your post is very good and highlights the huge issues with Onana. Technique and actual Goalkeeping ability

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A rough first season for Onana but I think he'll be fine in the long term. His service at Ajax and Inter was good.

I did expect some more command of his box to be honest.

Andersons Dietician

I saw a tweet that said he was the Darwin Nunez of goalkeepers. Guaranteed entertainment as long as he isn’t your player. Possibly a bit harsh but it’s not far off the truth. One moment looking worldclass and then next giving Taibi vibes.

He did have some cracking saves but then with his cement boots on I guess it would be hard to move your feet and get to things.

sugar_kane

He’s gash. He can occasionally pull off good reflex saves but is terrible at the basics, and doesn’t make up for it in the ways we expected.

Ten Hag needs to show some balls and drop him. What a shame we haven’t really anyone of quality to turn to.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He’s gash. He can occasionally pull off good reflex saves but is terrible at the basics, and doesn’t make up for it in the ways we expected.

Ten Hag needs to show some balls and drop him. What a shame we haven’t really anyone of quality to turn to.
Exactly.
He reminds me of an outfield player who has to go in goal because the goalkeeper is injured.

Litch

Not true, many were ready to move on from De Gea, just not to this.

And tbf a decent keeper can be a hero when the team is struggling overall, like De Gea was, but it's only proven very quickly that Onana just isn't very good at stopping goals going in.
......yet you go on to use DDG as a point of reference?

breezy12

Just seen a Twitter comp someone posted of all his mistakes this season in a row. Jesus Christ, it's not even half way through the season. He's so so bad.

lex talionis

As for yesterday, Onana did everything any average PL could do to prevent the humiliation from going to 4, 5 or even 6. I think I gave him a 5 for his performance since we did lose 0-3 and no keeper who concedes 3 goals gets a 6.

But if we zoom out the lens to wide angle this will go down in global football lore as one the most idiotic transfer acquisitions of all time. We were all assured that even though Onana wasn’t in the same league as De Gea as a shot stopper that Onana’s footwork was so brilliant that he would have a “transformational” impact on our attacking play. And if anyone denies that I’ve posted up two lengthy posts with all those claims, but even one thinks I somehow made up those links (which I wouldn’t know how to do) they’re easily found here and googled. It was easily forseen that no keeper, regardless of how great their footwork may be (and it turns out that Onana’s footwork is nothing more spectators than Pickford and Sanchez, keepers I’m watching right now), his footwork would be er gave the transformational impact that had Beth on the United Stand and scores of posters here in a state of orgasm over the thought of bringing in Onana.

There’s no denying De Gea made mistakes last year, but we literally brought in a keeper who is an inferior shot stopper. Einstein would not approve of the logic of bringing in an inferior shot stopper on the back of the promise that the inferior shot stopper would improve our attacking play. Not only has our attacking play not improved with our new keeper, it has significantly regressed, though Onana cannot be blamed for that.

All that said, Onana was not at fault for the three goals we conceded yesterday, although another one of the arguments used to scapegoat De Gea and justify bringing in Onana was Onana’s imperious command of the box. Onana’s command of the box had been poor this season, often characterized by flapping, and yesterday he was rooted to his line on two crosses that a keeper who actually is on command of his box would have claimed. It’s too much expect Onana to have claimed either cross, but part of the brief for Onana is the he, unlike De Gea, would not be rooted to his line. No keeper would have come off his line for the ball that led to the third goal, although most would have anticipated the header better and attempted a save, but a top keeper with command of the box would have claimed ball on the second goal, but there’s no doubt De Gea would not have. Point is, we not only got a worse shot stopper and a keeper whose footwork has had no impact on our attacking play, we also got a keeper who has command of the box is mo better than that of his predecessor — at a cost of 40m when we had vastly higher priorities that went unaddressed.

Bobski

He appears to be stiff and lack the flexibility/agility/reflexes you would expect in a world class keeper, and his much hyped ball playing ability has been underwhelming to say the least. Shots in the upper body and above range he is fine generally but he rarely seems to be prepared for the lower stuff.

Kostov

The moment we sack ETH, and appoint another permanent manager, the club will be looking for another GK. Yes he is an appalling acquisition and needs replacing.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
All that said, Onana was not at fault for the three goals we conceded yesterday, although another one of the arguments used to scapegoat De Gea and justify bringing in Onana was Onana’s imperious command of the box. Onana’s command of the box had been poor this season, often characterized by flapping, and yesterday he was rooted to his line on two crosses that a keeper who actually is on command of his box would have claimed. It’s too much expect Onana to have claimed either cross, but part of the brief for Onana is the he, unlike De Gea, would not be rooted to his line. No keeper would have come off his line for the ball that led to the third goal, although most would have anticipated the header better and attempted a save, but a top keeper with command of the box would have claimed ball on the second goal, but there’s no doubt De Gea would not have. Point is, we not only got a worse shot stopper and a keeper whose footwork has had no impact on our attacking play, we also got a keeper who has command of the box is mo better than that of his predecessor — at a cost of 40m when we had vastly higher priorities that went unaddressed.
Disagree,
The first goes low across his body, he should have seen that coming and have been able to deal with it.
He gets caught out exactly the same way moments later, but the post saves his blushes.
The second is a nice height, I think he actually goes for a hollywood save and messes it up.
The third, he should be organising his defence and put a man on the post, he had no chance of getting to it, it was a brilliant header.
This keeper can only stop shots that are directly at him, he's slow getting down to a ball, and for a bloke his size he completely fails to command his area.
You hardly ever see him come to claim a ball, even when one on one he failed, save by a dodgy VAR decision.

If he was a young keeper learning his trade, then his mistakes could be coached out of him, but he's an experienced player, with ECL and WC experience, he should not be making these mistakes this often.
He's the typical guy who gets picked last in the playground game and is told to go in goal
His distribution also has to be questioned, ant best it's poor, more often than not the ball comes straight back at us.

Neto gave him a lesson in goalkeeping yesterday, I have a feeling he's about to get two more in the coming week.

Oranges038

He's right isn't he? The impact he'd have on our attacking play was pushed HARD by many.
By who?

I've asked that poster to provide evidence of those claims several times.

Guess what? They never appeared.

Why? Because it's an argument that they've made up in their own head.