View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Heinzesight

Not sure why people are going in on him. Whilst its arguable about whether saves the second or not, hardly a mistake.
Not his fault for the loss but I think the problem is, a lot of the goals we concede we are not thinking ‘yeah, nothing he could have done to prevent that’. Many of the goals he lets in are always on the edge of being questionable.

FerociousCorgis

Not his fault for the loss but I think the problem is, a lot of the goals we concede we are not thinking ‘yeah, nothing he could have done to prevent that’. Many of the goals he lets in are always on the edge of being questionable.
Think this is pretty accurate. First goal I don't fault at all. Second one there's just something about it where you watch and can't quite pin it down but something just looks wrong with how he tries to save it

redshaw

Reminds me of what Southall would look like at 45 with a leg in plaster.

I'm used to players coming here and fading quickly but Onana seems pre-prepared coming to OT, like he put on the weight, had a summer bender and now finds it difficult to move.

We're facing too many shots and half of it is not his fault but ever since he arrived I sense little application.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He doesn't look like a natural goalkeeper. Every save looks awkward and wrong.
Technique, handling and footwork.

Good lord the Dutch system is so crap, it's so overhyped and arrogant. Any manager that comes here gets found out so quicky.

All this crap about angles and positions is all footballing homeopathy, sounds good, on paper is good but in reality it's crao. They can't set teams up, they struggle if another team actually tries against them, they can't motivate players, and they focus so much on their own hot air about how football should be played that they end up creating nothing.

A keeper like Onana should be playing for Utrecht. He's wonderfully under par.

UnitedFan93

He's been utterly shambolic. How the feck has Altay Bayindir not started a game yet for us? How many more shite performances can Onana get away with? Fecking ridiculous. Maybe Ten Hag wants the sack.

Red Star One

He is a good keeper but he is playing with no defence in front of him, playing with no defence would make any keeper look bad.

He is also unlucky that a lit of his clubs fans wont back him because they are still upset about De Gea leaving.
It’s not easy to defend “good keeper only bad defense” if we concede 3 goals out of 4 shots on target (could’ve been 4 goals, he deflected badly for the disallowed goal too)

IWat

Think this is pretty accurate. First goal I don't fault at all. Second one there's just something about it where you watch and can't quite pin it down but something just looks wrong with how he tries to save it
For the 2nd he jumps up and almost backwards rather than towards where he can intercept the ball. His feet are rooted and he just dives rather than taking a step to get his motion going in that direction and as a result he doesn't get far enough across in time.

AndyMUFC

His performances are comedic at this point. Would’ve looked even worse for him if that 4th goal had have counted.

Winrar

How did this guy get to the Champions League Final last season? Has he been kidnapped and replaced by a body double?

miked99

I haven't seen today's goals but this is a good summary of how I feel about it. We conceed plenty of goals where it's not obviously his fault, yet you're left feeling like something wasn't right somehow.

Bole Top

he will let plenty of goals in that De Gea or any other better keeper would save without ever being at fault for anything except not being a miracle worker. it's up to fans to decide whether the rest of his game is worth having such keeper.

redshaw

How did this guy get to the Champions League Final last season? Has he been kidnapped and replaced by a body double?
Inter defended like bastards. Check through the CL stats on Uefa.

Before we signed Onana people brought up the stats that while De Gea was at the lower end, Onana was worse. So what we're seeing is coming to fruition, a keeper worse at saving shots and no protection.

JediSith

Yeah. The second goal it’s almost like the force/velocity he uses for the dive doesn’t match the shot if that makes sense. Best analogy I can give is someone trying to throw a haymaker punch and completely missing

Stadjer

Agree. A goalkeeper stopping that second goal would be praised for making a very good save at a strong header from very close to him. I dont think it is a blunder but it would be nice to have a goalkeeper who makes a very good save a bit more often.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Today is not the day to criticise Onana, plenty of other times where it's worthy, but not today.

Geistman

Was anyone else baffled how the second goal went in. I was watching it live and it seemed to be a header you never see hit the back of the net. Even the replay it's like he has no reflexes. He's genuinely not a natural goalkeeper his technique is all over the place. I think if the team magically become more solid he will look more solid but he will never be an excellent keeper. Why in God's name did we buy him. His limitations are absolutely blatant.

Heinzesight

His arms seem to get shorter the more he stretches for a save. Like Weghorst last season used to get smaller as he jumped for a header.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They beat nobody to get to the final. All the decent teams were on the other side of the draw. If they got Real,Bayern,city etc in the earlier rounds they would have been stuffed.

arnie_ni

He doesn't look like a natural goalkeeper. Every save looks awkward and wrong.
Even the 1st disallowed goal, he parried the first header straight back into the danger area. He has no control over his saves, if he saves them

MonkeysMagic

ETH must believe that Biyinder is even worse than Onana not to get a game. That takes some doing by our recruitment department but not a surprise!

Mercurial

We have for a long many years been a leaky and error prone team at back. Members on this forum need to reevaluate the value of a cat like shotstopper. Bringing in Onana before we are 'fixed' was gross mismanagement on all parties involved. It's wishful thinking unhinged from reality. He is what he is, not his fault really. He is the worst fit for us.

Jund

What an average player. I'm amazed there are still people defending this guy.

city-puma

Martinez is an awesome goalkeeper.
We paid a premium for Onana, but he doesn’t do more to justify the price. We are awful in transfer business.

OleGunnar20

Horrific. I thought he'd be really good for us. I was wrong. There's quite a few this season that our Sunday league keeper would have saved, and he's rubbish.

He needs to be dropped.

Zed is not dead

People saying « it’s hard blaming it on him » but what use is a goalkeeper if he doesn’t make the difference between a 1-0 loss at the 60th minute while you‘re clearly dominating and a 3-0 loss because the team got lost chasing a goal after being down to 2-0?

That’s my biggest grief against him. You can say players capitulate but the keeper helps them very little in weathering the storms. And today the storm was just 2 shots on target in 60minutes.

The same scenario has been played a lot already this season. He basically lets in cheap shots when the team at the worst possible moments

He basically doesn’t help keep the team afloat when the team needs him to stay afloat.

JediSith

Was anyone else baffled how the second goal went in. I was watching it live and it seemed to be a header you never see hit the back of the net. Even the replay it's like he has no reflexes. He's genuinely not a natural goalkeeper his technique is all over the place. I think if the team magically become more solid he will look more solid but he will never be an excellent keeper. Why in God's name did we buy him. His limitations are absolutely blatant.
TBF, City’s keeper is not a very good shot stopper. So if we limit opposition chances and Onana does the creative ball playing keeper stuff I can see it working. But realistically we’re not going to become as dominant as City any time soon.

lex talionis

We have for a long many years been a leaky and error prone team at back. Members on this forum need to reevaluate the value of a cat like shotstopper. Bringing in Onana before we are 'fixed' was gross mismanagement on all parties involved. It's wishful thinking unhinged from reality. He is what he is, not his fault really. He is the worst fit for us.
This.

The witch hunt on De Gea will forever be a black mark on the fanbase.

iKeano

I'm convinced he'll wind up being investigated for match fixing.
He's awful. John O'Shea is a better goalkeeper!

lex talionis

:lol:

He was crap, needed to be replaced and giving him a new contract would have been beyond stupid. Get over it.
Onana can’t even dream of ever reaching De Gea’s level. But what’s done is done and we must live with the shambolic management of the club.

One billion quid shoveled straight into the furnace.

Rockets Redglare

Onana can’t even dream of ever reaching De Gea’s level. But what’s done is done and we must live with the shambolic management of the club.

One billion quid shoveled straight into the furnace.
No one has said that Onana is near De Gea at his peak. But he was dreadful last season and needed to go, the fact he still hasn’t got a club speaks volumes.