5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It won't surprise me if he gets booed by Cameroonians once he plays because what he did, to miss out on their first group stages game, was highly criticized

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
It was so ridiculous that the club didn’t allow him to go earlier.
Cameroon agreed to him staying for the Spurs game.
Once selected he had to go, under FIFA regulations if he had refused to go, he wouldn't have been able to turn out for United during the AFCON tourno.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Cameroon agreed to him staying for the Spurs game.
Once selected he had to go, under FIFA regulations if he had refused to go, he wouldn't have been able to turn out for United during the AFCON tourno.
Even still, it was ridiculous he didn't just go in time for the tournament prep

Kostov

You don't think the sheer amount of over-the-top criticism for every little thing has an impact on the pressure the keeper is under? Look at that situation in his very first game for us where he barged into the Wolves player. It's one that 'could' have been a penalty but keepers get away with things like that all the time, yet it was virtually back page news for a couple of weeks, every commentator and sports journalist was making a massive deal about it for ages, etc. Any other keeper in the league does that and it's barely talked about at the time and is forgotten the next week. That constant over-the-top criticism does have an impact, both directly on the player who is being unfairly criticised left, right and centre and on the fans.

The Man Utd keeper is certainly under more pressure than any other keeper in England. Real Madrid is perhaps the only other club in Europe with a similar amount of pressure, but even they basically have half the media in Spain in their back pocket.

The demands and pressure from within the club doesn't change between us and other top teams. You are correct in that. But players don't live in a bubble. Outside influences obviously make an impact too.

Actually no they don't.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Actually no they don't.
They really do. The Wolves keeper himself punched a player in the face last season when late challenging for a ball, nothing given.
Ederson vs Arsenal was one of the few given and it surprised people.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It was in the club's best interests that he didn't.
Was it? Lads hardly been pulling up trees since he got here, and it meant he missed his countries first game of AFCON, which at best, is disrespectful to fans of his home nation.

If Mo Salah can miss Liverpool games, I'm pretty sure Andre Onana can miss United games.

Kostov

They really do. The Wolves keeper himself punched a player in the face last season when late challenging for a ball, nothing given.
Ederson vs Arsenal was one of the few given and it surprised people.
So they don't get away with it all the time like the poster said?

Remember the geese

Was it? Lads hardly been pulling up trees since he got here, and it meant he missed his countries first game of AFCON, which at best, is disrespectful to fans of his home nation.

If Mo Salah can miss Liverpool games, I'm pretty sure Andre Onana can miss United games.
Of course he can miss games, but why would we want that? It was in our best interests to keep him for as long as we could.

Stadjer

How could it possibly not be in the clubs best interest to keep a player, let alone the first choice goalkeeper, at the club ?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
How could it possibly not be in the clubs best interest to keep a player, let alone the first choice goalkeeper, at the club ?
Because he's a bit shit? Because it doesn't give the biggest vote of confidence in your other goalkeepers that you're desperate to keep a goalkeeper that's hardly been great around?

As always I think, what would SAF have done... Now the man obviosly loathed players going off for International football, but he also always had total trust in his number 2 goalkeeper do to a job for the team.

Red00012

Mental if anyone's blaming him for Bentancur's power shot. Try standing in front of that. By the time you move an inch the ball would have been in the back of the net.
He’d be blamed for Hojlund’s goal if it was a Spurs player who took that shot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Of course it was. He's rated as the best keeper at the club. Any decision which allows us play our best keeper - instead of our second best keeper - in an important fixture is in the club's interest.

Which is a separate issue to whether or not the club can cope during the matches he will miss.

Kostov

What they said was correct, the sentence doesn't mean keepers get away with them every single time.
What is important here is to stop finding excuses for garbage quality players. Onana did spectacularly bad on that instance and was lucky he didn't cost us on opening day. "GKs get away with that all the time" is a lazy excuse for a lucky break we got from the ref, he was nowhere near the ball and smashed the Wolves player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Mail reporting that he managed to come in time (3 hours before kick-off) but manager left him out completely. And now Onana is pissed on Song. Again....

I would not be surprised if he comes back to Manchester tomorrow.:)

Marcelinho87

I believe his lack of commanding the area and sweeping like usual is tactical, I think the manager has him deeper to accommodate a poorer/slower backline and with Martinez and Casemiro back he may revert to his usual self.

sebsheep

What is important here is to stop finding excuses for garbage quality players. Onana did spectacularly bad on that instance and was lucky he didn't cost us on opening day. "GKs get away with that all the time" is a lazy excuse for a lucky break we got from the ref, he was nowhere near the ball and smashed the Wolves player.
What even is this as a post?
None of what you're even saying even relates to where or not those type of incidents are given as penalties often. Even in the same game Sa makes contact with Antony after he's player the ball, technically a foul but rarely given.

Instead of suggesting people are trying to make up excuses to defend a "garbage player" maybe you should ask yourself if your criticisms might exaggerated due to your dislike of the player.

Kostov

What even is this as a post?
None of what you're even saying even relates to where or not those type of incidents are given as penalties often. Even in the same game Sa makes contact with Antony after he's player the ball, technically a foul but rarely given.

Instead of suggesting people are trying to make up excuses to defend a "garbage player" maybe you should ask yourself if your criticisms might exaggerated due to your dislike of the player.
You talk about sense and mention Sa on Antony that was not even remotely the same profile of incident. If Sa touched Antony (i don’t remember) in 99% of that kind of collisions it’s a penalty against the GK. If it was not given and there was contact it’s another blatant ref mistake. Rarely given? What are you blubbering about?

Maybe we should all be hypocrites, pretending it’s something “gk get away all the time” if it makes you feel better for our clown 50m goalie.

sebsheep

You talk about sense and mention Sa on Antony that was not even remotely the same profile of incident. If Sa touched Antony (i don’t remember) in 99% of that kind of collisions it’s a penalty against the GK. If it was not given and there was contact it’s another blatant ref mistake. Rarely given? What are you blubbering about?

Maybe we should all be hypocrites, pretending it’s something “gk get away all the time” if it makes you feel better for our clown 50m goalie.
That 99% isn't looking so great when Vicario did the same thing that game week and nothing was given. Nobody called it a mistake, nobody called the Sa one a mistake.
You're mistaking what you believe should be a penalty with what is actually given as one.

People pointing out it's rarely given isn't actually a defence of Onana, I doubt you find many who don't consider clattering into the wolves player a mistake.
I don't know why you're so insistent that they're given as penalties all the time. Go check.

lex talionis

We can dispense with the complaint that Onana looks tubby. We can each have our opinions on that I suppose but that's not a fair criticism of Onana. What is a fair criticism of Onana, however, is that his command of the box is no better than De Gea's and that was one of the key complaint against De Gea. Onana's distribution is better than De Gea's, so we can check that box, but his distribution is nothing special as it turns out -- although he did have that one fantastic lone ball to Garnacho in the first match against Spurs.

His shot-stopping is where things get interesting with Onana. If you look at the stats (which I don't have handy, but I've seen several posts here with said stats), Onana tops or nearly tops the PL in the relevant shot stopping stat. However, stats can be misleading. The second Spurs goal, by Betancur, was a shot from point blank range that must have had a high xG value, the logical conclusion being that no keeper should have been expected to stop the shot on goal. But a top keeper wouldn't have remained rooted to his line in that situation, as Onana was. AQ top keeper will see the defender having been beaten, come out and smother the defender, as we saw Pete did countless times, as did Buffon. But by remaining rooted to his line Onana leaves the goal an easy target for Betancur.

Onana isn't as poor a keeper as some here are making him to be, but he does need to improve his situational awareness and anticipation to close the angle down to reduce the frequency of goals he concedes.

As for his command of the box, I'm afraid it is what it is and we should expect to continue to preyed upon on set pieces while he remains rooted to his line. But his distribution is fantastic, a undeniably significant upgrade from De Gea. What difference his world class distribution has made to our ability to control possession and create chances, however, is negligible. I'm not sure where one would find official stats for our last match v Spurs, but I distinctly recall the announcers mentioning that United had only 36% possession -- which feels about right. Except for City, I don't recall United ever having such a low possession percentage when De Gea was keeper.

Red_toad

His weight and height are fine, sometimes it's really as simple as him being an ordinary keeper. We just got conned once again by another football club.
2nd best keeper in Milan last season, but certainly very good for them. His confidence is shot at United, after all the fuss about him clattering that wolves player, that media reaction would never have happened with a none United player.
Think we all knew he could be erratic, but he just doesn’t pull off world class saves, doesn’t come for crosses and for whatever reason has taken to Dave online keeping.
Looking very much like he can’t handle the pressure and is not being helped by the constant changing of defenders. Hopefully now our 1st choice central defenders are available we may see an improvement, but it’s on him to prove he can handle the pressure.
Wonder Who’ll take his place while he’s away on international duty and what EtH does when he comes back. For me if someone comes in and does well, he has to be benched,

Marcus

2nd best keeper in Milan last season, but certainly very good for them. His confidence is shot at United, after all the fuss about him clattering that wolves player, that media reaction would never have happened with a none United player.
Think we all knew he could be erratic, but he just doesn’t pull off world class saves, doesn’t come for crosses and for whatever reason has taken to Dave online keeping.
Looking very much like he can’t handle the pressure and is not being helped by the constant changing of defenders. Hopefully now our 1st choice central defenders are available we may see an improvement, but it’s on him to prove he can handle the pressure.
Wonder Who’ll take his place while he’s away on international duty and what EtH does when he comes back. For me if someone comes in and does well, he has to be benched,
I think he got scared and scarred coming off his line when he got lobbed for a goal.

kouroux

All the signs of an average keeper at the moment, what he did at Inter is irrelevant in my eyes.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The thing i hate about this transfer the most is the price. Its not on the player, but whoever decided to go for Onana after his best season, when his stock was on the absolute high after the CL final, when Inter could charge whatever they wanted should be sacked.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We can dispense with the complaint that Onana looks tubby. We can each have our opinions on that I suppose but that's not a fair criticism of Onana. What is a fair criticism of Onana, however, is that his command of the box is no better than De Gea's and that was one of the key complaint against De Gea. Onana's distribution is better than De Gea's, so we can check that box, but his distribution is nothing special as it turns out -- although he did have that one fantastic lone ball to Garnacho in the first match against Spurs.

His shot-stopping is where things get interesting with Onana. If you look at the stats (which I don't have handy, but I've seen several posts here with said stats), Onana tops or nearly tops the PL in the relevant shot stopping stat. However, stats can be misleading. The second Spurs goal, by Betancur, was a shot from point blank range that must have had a high xG value, the logical conclusion being that no keeper should have been expected to stop the shot on goal. But a top keeper wouldn't have remained rooted to his line in that situation, as Onana was. AQ top keeper will see the defender having been beaten, come out and smother the defender, as we saw Pete did countless times, as did Buffon. But by remaining rooted to his line Onana leaves the goal an easy target for Betancur.

Onana isn't as poor a keeper as some here are making him to be, but he does need to improve his situational awareness and anticipation to close the angle down to reduce the frequency of goals he concedes.

As for his command of the box, I'm afraid it is what it is and we should expect to continue to preyed upon on set pieces while he remains rooted to his line. But his distribution is fantastic, a undeniably significant upgrade from De Gea. What difference his world class distribution has made to our ability to control possession and create chances, however, is negligible. I'm not sure where one would find official stats for our last match v Spurs, but I distinctly recall the announcers mentioning that United had only 36% possession -- which feels about right. Except for City, I don't recall United ever having such a low possession percentage when De Gea was keeper.
It was a middling opportunity, in the 0.10-0.12xG range, according to most open models. That's mainly down to the angle, which doesn't leave the striker with many options. But Betancur managed to do the difficult thing, aim high and hit the target. As Pogue said, what Onana did was textbook goalkeeping. It takes nerves of steel to delay your decision when anticipating a shot. I remember Neuer saving Giroud's perfectly placed shot in the QF of the 2014 WC, and that was a world class save from one of the all-time greats. And i won't blame him for not leaving his box, after the defender has been beaten and Betancur is about to hit the ball, when there are so many bodies in the box able to score an easier goal. He doesn't have enough time to be proactive. Other than that, i agree that his command of his area is as bad as De Gea's which is a big disappointment. His distribution means nothing when the plan is to beat the opposition press by launching hoof balls forward. I'd say we only daw glimpses of what he can offer at the Emirates, when he had an active role in the build-up and he allowed us to have an extra body in the midfield. Still counter-attacking football, but with a bit of purpose to it. Why we haven't seen more of it, i don't know.

Kostov

That 99% isn't looking so great when Vicario did the same thing that game week and nothing was given. Nobody called it a mistake, nobody called the Sa one a mistake.
You're mistaking what you believe should be a penalty with what is actually given as one.

People pointing out it's rarely given isn't actually a defence of Onana, I doubt you find many who don't consider clattering into the wolves player a mistake.
I don't know why you're so insistent that they're given as penalties all the time. Go check.
You are talking crap. I haven’t said they are given all the time, I just pointed it out as a blatant error and brain fart by Onana, as it was. I haven't seen the top keepers go and do that ( I mean go for a high ball and absolutely shit the bed like Onana did on that instance in that manner) and also get away with it all the time like it was said in this instance.

I remember Diego Lopez doing something similar to Vidic, and we were all fecking furious it was not given as a penalty and that was 10 years ago.

Onerealunited

He is really not showing much respect for his national team the way he acts and talks. I can only imagine that both fans and players would be against him, and rightly so.
Seems like a problem person. Wish he won't show any of that bad personality at United....

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You are talking crap. I haven’t said they are given all the time, I just pointed it out as a blatant error and brain fart by Onana, as it was. I haven't seen the top keepers go and do that ( I mean go for a high ball and absolutely shit the bed like Onana did on that instance in that manner) and also get away with it all the time like it was said in this instance.

I remember Diego Lopez doing something similar to Vidic, and we were all fecking furious it was not given as a penalty and that was 10 years ago.
Technically it should be a penalty. But in instances like that it's rarely actually given as a penalty because keepers are protected far more than other players, hence the comment of keepers getting away with it all the time. You seem to have taken that as 'keepers are doing it all the time and getting away with it', instead of 'when keepers do it they get away with it all the time'. I'll change it to get away with it most of the time if it makes you happy.

And in which of those similar instances have you ever seen even close to the level of criticism and media spotlight on it, which is what the original comment was focused on?

I suggest you actually read my previous post, because you seem to have seen the 'get away with it all the time' comment, seen red and then completely missed the entire point of the post with your responses.

Last edited:

neon_badger

He is really not showing much respect for his national team the way he acts and talks. I can only imagine that both fans and players would be against him, and rightly so.
Seems like a problem person. Wish he won't show any of that bad personality at United....
I'm not sure how this has played out, did United or Onana consult Cameroon about delaying his arrival? If it was mutually agreed I can see why Onana is frustrated however if Utd/Onana simply told Cameroon he's arriving late to the tournament whether you like it or not, then Cameroon are well within their rights to bench him.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I'm not sure how this has played out, did United or Onana consult Cameroon about delaying his arrival? If it was mutually agreed I can see why Onana is frustrated however if Utd/Onana simply told Cameroon he's arriving late to the tournament whether you like it or not, then Cameroon are well within their rights to bench him.
I'm sure they did consult (think everything beforehand said it was a mutual agreement) - but what I don't get it is, surely they had also agreed that he wouldn't be playing in the game? I thought it was pretty obvious that a player who had literally just been travelling, who hadn't been with the squad, or prepared for the match, wouldn't play in the game.

kouroux

I'm sure they did consult (think everything beforehand said it was a mutual agreement) - but what I don't get it is, surely they had also agreed that he wouldn't be playing in the game? I thought it was pretty obvious that a player who had literally just been travelling, who hadn't been with the squad, or prepared for the match, wouldn't play in the game.
Since he decided to play vs Spurs, he was never starting in the first group stages even if his plane arrived on time

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Since he decided to play vs Spurs, he was never starting in the first group stages even if his plane arrived on time
Exactly- surely this must have been communicated to him/established beforehand? But then why was he in such a great rush to get the game/apparently upset he didn't play? It makes no sense

lex talionis

It was a middling opportunity, in the 0.10-0.12xG range, according to most open models. That's mainly down to the angle, which doesn't leave the striker with many options. But Betancur managed to do the difficult thing, aim high and hit the target. As Pogue said, what Onana did was textbook goalkeeping. It takes nerves of steel to delay your decision when anticipating a shot. I remember Neuer saving Giroud's perfectly placed shot in the QF of the 2014 WC, and that was a world class save from one of the all-time greats. And i won't blame him for not leaving his box, after the defender has been beaten and Betancur is about to hit the ball, when there are so many bodies in the box able to score an easier goal. He doesn't have enough time to be proactive. Other than that, i agree that his command of his area is as bad as De Gea's which is a big disappointment. His distribution means nothing when the plan is to beat the opposition press by launching hoof balls forward. I'd say we only daw glimpses of what he can offer at the Emirates, when he had an active role in the build-up and he allowed us to have an extra body in the midfield. Still counter-attacking football, but with a bit of purpose to it. Why we haven't seen more of it, i don't know.
On the Betancur goal Onana’s reaction was everything a top keeper shouldn’t do. He stayed on his line and made himself small. As a keeper when you see your defender being beaten and the attacker is inside the six yard box, you have to come out even if it’s just two steps out. Even if your mind the cause is lost, you can’t give up as Onana did.