View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Unam333

Oh my, Onana was outstanding. The man was like a new signing. Easily MOTM but more importantly for the first time he looked like an upgrade on De Gea.

Onward and upward.
Looked very comfortable today. Keep it up Andre.

Vidooq

Yeah, he was decent today, but there was that one time when Garnacho made a run in open space, and Onana did not release the pass on time for the assist. He should've done better there.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Good to see his fine form continuing. Hope he keeps this up because I still think he has it all to be part of a strong team. To be honest champions league aside he’s always been better than some have made out.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
Oh my, Onana was outstanding. The man was like a new signing. Easily MOTM but more importantly for the first time he looked like an upgrade on De Gea.

Onward and upward.
:lol:
Yep he stopped every shot that was directly at him, isn't that what he is supposed to do.
He really didn't have to go above and beyond, and that performance hardly calls for MOTM.

Pickle85

Looked much more settled the last little while. I thought he was a total waste of money based on the first six months or whatever, but there are definite reasons for optimism. Long may this continue!

Lentwood

For all the stick he gets, when did he actually last make a 'mistakes?

You get all the usual cranks trying to blame him for every goal we concede because they have this weird obsession with DDG but aside from his disasterclasses in the Champions League vs Bayern and Galatasary, I think he's largely been absolutely fine, if not pretty good.

Rossa

What I like about his last matches, not just a few either, is that he is settling to a solid level. He still makes some very strange moves - at least two or three of the shots he takes a step the wrong way which makes a simple save look strange. However, he deals with everything that we expect him to deal with, and that is a very good base-level to be at.

Also, I love his pause on the ball when playing out from the back, just getting the attacker to move a stride, and then Onana releases to a different player, completely flat footing the attacker and removing his momentum. It's one of those subtle but very important elements of his from playing out from the back. He creates space where there is none.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yep he stopped every shot that was directly at him, isn't that what he is supposed to do.
He really didn't have to go above and beyond, and that performance hardly calls for MOTM.
I heard for years those kind of games get awarded to De Gea when he didn’t make an exceptional save.

next_number_seven

What I like about his last matches, not just a few either, is that he is settling to a solid level. He still makes some very strange moves - at least two or three of the shots he takes a step the wrong way which makes a simple save look strange. However, he deals with everything that we expect him to deal with, and that is a very good base-level to be at.

Also, I love his pause on the ball when playing out from the back, just getting the attacker to move a stride, and then Onana releases to a different player, completely flat footing the attacker and removing his momentum. It's one of those subtle but very important elements of his from playing out from the back. He creates space where there is none.
If he can achieve this I'd be happy.
Make the saves he's expected to make, no silly mistakes, plays the ball out sensibly.
Just solid all round.

lex talionis

I watched the game again last night. What a difference in Onana’s performance yesterday from what we saw in September and October. Fingers crossed, or perhaps I should say gloves crossed, he can maintain his newfound outstanding form.

lex talionis

A churlish reply. Whatever one expects of a keeper Onana clearly exceeded all expectations last night. No, he did not make any saves the equal of prime De Gea but he did everything he needed to do perfectly and without a moment’s doubt that he would let his club down. No else came close to putting in a MOTM performance.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
A churlish reply. Whatever one expects of a keeper Onana clearly exceeded all expectations last night. No, he did not make any saves the equal of prime De Gea but he did everything he needed to do perfectly and without a moment’s doubt that he would let his club down. No else came close to putting in a MOTM performance.
Dalot ? Varanne ? Casemiro ?

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
I watched the game again last night. What a difference in Onana’s performance yesterday from what we saw in September and October. Fingers crossed, or perhaps I should say gloves crossed, he can maintain his newfound outstanding form.
Be honest though, he didn't set a very high bar to better did he?

lex talionis

Dalot ? Varanne ? Casemiro ?
All had good games and if one of them is your pick for MOTM that's great, but the only point I'm making is that Onana put in a very good performance last night despite not having to make a single outstanding save. A footballer, even a keeper, can have a great match without having a single YouTube moment.

lex talionis

Onana's past performances this season, say going back to pre-February 1, were for the most part dire to mediocre at best, I'll grant you that. He was competing for FOTS -- Flop of the Season -- as things stood on February 1 and there's no erasing the history of his poor performances in the first half of the season, but our expectations for any Manchester United keeper are very high and Onana met those expectations yesterday.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So lets not praise him when he does well.

Yet another boring negative narrative for the fans to continue with.

He's in great form, long may it continue.

frostbite

Yeah, but this is an improvement, isn't it? He did not push the ball into his own net like in CL.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Onana's past performances this season, say going back to pre-February 1, were for the most part dire to mediocre at best, I'll grant you that. He was competing for FOTS -- Flop of the Season -- as things stood on February 1 and there's no erasing the history of his poor performances in the first half of the season, but our expectations for any Manchester United keeper are very high and Onana met those expectations yesterday.
It was really only the first two months that he was 'that' bad. Since then he's been mostly decent with the occasional good and occasional bad, but with a fairly slow but steady improvement as the season wore on. It was just that his early dreadful performances seemed to have turned people against him, so they continued seeing huge mistakes in at least 50% of the goals that he was conceding when in reality they were perfectly normal goals to concede.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was a good performance from him the other night, some good saves and was good with the ball at his feet. Been better recently in general too, hopefully this is him sorted now and he keeps improving.

lex talionis

It was really only the first two months that he was 'that' bad. Since then he's been mostly decent with the occasional good and occasional bad, but with a fairly slow but steady improvement as the season wore on. It was just that his early dreadful performances seemed to have turned people against him, so they continued seeing huge mistakes in at least 50% of the goals that he was conceding when in reality they were perfectly normal goals to concede.
I’m ok with the word “decent”, if what we mean is average for a PL keeper. But our expectations for a keeper who cost 47m to bring in have to be higher than merely decent.

Let’s put another way. Even if after Onana’s disastrous start to the season he was decent, or average, he never looked assured in the role either as a shot stopper, distributor of the ball, or commander of his box. What we saw against Forest was a keeper who looked assured, confident and I would say supreme in all aspects of keeper play.

Finally.

OsloRed

Guaranteed feck up in coming

Makes sense. Moving to a new club, new country is different for everyone. That club being United, where the difference between expectation and reality has been huge won't have made that easier.

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He made a really good save at one point. I think they was offside though so wouldn’t have counted but that was a standout save. Looking much better. DDG wasn’t the best when we first signed him was he, and he also made tons of mistakes during the end of his spell here..: was a top shot stopper though. Onana will improve once the teams settled and the defence is settled.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Tomorrow’s game against city is where we should see the best of him with playing out. They’ll press high up. We need people in midfielder and up top who are able to hold it up like Inter had in the CL final.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yep, have to agree. He did what he needed to do, but looked a bit more confident, not sure if that was because McGuire wasn't playing?
I would give him another season, hopefully behind much better back four than we've had for most of the season, and perhaps we will see the keeper we've been hoping for.

RedDevil@84

I swear we have the stupidest players in the whole league. Making that statements just before the game vs City, putting more pressure on himself sounds great.
To be fair to Onana, the interview may have happened days back and Telegraph wanted to put it out just before the big derby.
Having said that, I don't really get the "I am back" thing. I don't think Onana has been giving a standout performance. He is not feckin up. Which is expected from a player.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I swear we have the stupidest players in the whole league. Making that statements just before the game vs City, putting more pressure on himself sounds great.
He was obviously asked questions about his rocky start and how he's starting to find form and he gave generic, diplomatic answers. The Telegraph have done the best they can to try and spin an angle out of it. It's literally nothing.

It's so strange how some of our fans look for excuses to jump on our players for absolutely anything.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great first half. Genuinely the best he's looked for us.

God knows what happened in the second... He turned into a total idiot.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Was heading for his best game for us but yeah that 2nd goal wasnt great from him and took the shine off his performance

but we are seeing signs he is improving in recent weeks

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Weak hand for the second.

I don't know why keepers are trained to dive for those types of shots though. It leaves a big gap under the body. An outstretched leg is a surely a faster reaction.

KeanoMagicHat

Good performance ruined by that second goal. Felt he should have done better.
It was hardly ruined ffs. He was absolutely exceptional in the first half and it wasn't an easy save for the goal. We should have lost by 4 or 5 if it wasn't for him.

Telsim

Maybe he could have done better, maybe not. But statistically, you just can't save them all. And when the statistics are like this...

The player that can hold his head high after this.