g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Frightens the life out of me personally, i really want to be where the majority of other posters are but he concerns me massively.

Time will tell but jury massively out for me.
Don't see how. He's quality on the ball, ederson level. He's a massive improvement with dealing with crosses. Shot stopping over the past 5 years he's been better statistically than de Gea was on average (and hasn't shown any weaknesses). I think people assume because he's good with the ball at his feet that he must be bad elsewhere... It's not the case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's a brilliant claim and the thing I was most interested in seeing how he'd be tbh. How is he claiming crosses. So key in the prem, and de Geas weakest point by far throughout his time here. Very brave from Onana but also the right call.
Although statistically , he's apparently not much better at claiming crosses than DDG.

Mind you, crosses aside, there was a moment near the end where the ball deflected really high up in the air coming down not far outside our six yard box. I had a sudden flashback to the limpwristed punch we would have inevitably seen from DDG, so it was great to see Onana claim it comfortably. Although a little depressing to think how pleased I was feeling at watching some pretty basic goalkeeping.

bosnian_red

Fair point. Don't really agree that teams that press are our kryptonite... Feel like we have struggled against wolves type teams for years, and teams like Leeds who have tried to play high up the pitch have had terrible form against us. But I agree that wolves are negative, hard to play against and a goalkeeper isn't going to make any difference there.
Last season we didn't struggle that much against teams who sat deep. We had a great record against them, home and away. Our trouble came against any coordinated high press, mainly away. Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, city, brighton, Brentford all pressed the shit out of us and made us look like mugs.

bosnian_red

Although statistically , he's apparently not much better at claiming crosses than DDG.

Mind you, crosses aside, there was a moment near the end where the ball deflected really high up in the air coming down not far outside our six yard box. I had a sudden flashback to the limpwristed punch we would have inevitably seen from DDG, so it was great to see Onana claim it comfortably. Although a little depressing to think how pleased I was feeling at watching some pretty basic goalkeeping.
De Gea was honestly laughably terrible at it. Love the guy, but he refused to catch crosses. Was it the PSG game under Ole he did that random punch for no reason?

Also, I personally hate statistics for goalkeepers. It's so flawed, shot stopping, cross claiming, passing, whatever. There's one guy on twitter who does his own model really well, but he's gone private after Carragher used him on MNF as all good things seem to go. Both defensive stats and goalkeeper stats/analytics are best done just watching. On ball analytics for things like passing through the lines and creativity and dribbling has a lot of value, but off the ball and goalkeepers for me is really far behind and too heavily skewed by tactics to be of any use.

Meep

Got to love Lindelof's defending there. Couldn't prevent the player from moving forward, little to super weak jostling, couldn't get himself goal side and if Onana hadn't claimed, it would have been a simple tap in.
Actually I think he handles this quiet good. He holds him just enough to give Onana space to come out for it. If he'd rushed in on the player it could have ended in a penalty. They were also holding up to line to begin with to give Onana space. If he had tried to come goal side the whole line would've come closer and Onana had to stay put.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Don't see how. He's quality on the ball, ederson level. He's a massive improvement with dealing with crosses. Shot stopping over the past 5 years he's been better statistically than de Gea was on average (and hasn't shown any weaknesses). I think people assume because he's good with the ball at his feet that he must be bad elsewhere... It's not the case.
it’s not an assumption that he’s bad elsewhere just because he’s good with his feet, he worries me with how erratic he appears. As I said, jury is out for me but hopefully he’ll be a world class GK for years to come.

bosnian_red

it’s not an assumption that he’s bad elsewhere just because he’s good with his feet, he worries me with how erratic he appears. As I said, jury is out for me but hopefully he’ll be a world class GK for years to come.
I don't see what's erratic about him though? He's incredibly confident and very good at claiming the ball, and on the ball he is excellent at passing it out. It's not like he is indecisive off his line, he doesn't flap at crosses, he has a normal saving technique... Genuinely don't see anything other than a confident and solid goalkeeper who plays in a way that is very common in the modern game

M Bison

Supports
York City
I don't see what's erratic about him though? He's incredibly confident and very good at claiming the ball, and on the ball he is excellent at passing it out. It's not like he is indecisive off his line, he doesn't flap at crosses, he has a normal saving technique... Genuinely don't see anything other than a confident and solid goalkeeper who plays in a way that is very common in the modern game
Fair points, his style makes me nervous is all I’m saying. Hopefully I’m just getting old and out of touch with how a modern GK plays, and I’m worrying unnecessarily.

Andersonson

Fair points, his style makes me nervous is all I’m saying. Hopefully I’m just getting old and out of touch with how a modern GK plays, and I’m worrying unnecessarily.
Im the same. I think we'll see blunders after blunders when the heat is on.

Hopefully im totally wrong

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The penalty controversy was definitely a rash decision. He was never getting anywhere near that ball. Although I’m definitely happier with errors from being too reckless than too timid. If only because it’s a refreshing change!

criticalanalysis

Actually I think he handles this quiet good. He holds him just enough to give Onana space to come out for it. If he'd rushed in on the player it could have ended in a penalty. They were also holding up to line to begin with to give Onana space. If he had tried to come goal side the whole line would've come closer and Onana had to stay put.
He had his hands on the player and did nothing to stop or alter the player's movement. If Lindelof did, Onana wouldn't have had to dive at the guys feet and getting smacked into where the guy literally landed on top of him. Holding the line there from the edge of a penalty box cross is ultra high risk and from the clip, just before it is lofted in, they're all level anyways. That's not to mention Shaw was playing them all onside anyways. It wasn't a set piece/free kick, it was a live in ball play.

bosnian_red

The penalty controversy was definitely a rash decision. He was never getting anywhere near that ball. Although I’m definitely happier with errors from being too reckless than too timid. If only because it’s a refreshing change!
I feel like I'm in the minority here but the only reason that was any sort of controversy for me was because it is United involved and because football has become so overanalyzed where every incidental contact is looked at like crazy. He had body on body contact with a player who was between the guy who headed the ball and the goalkeeper... Goalkeepers since forever were allowed to clean out players in their way when attempting to get to the ball (so long as they don't punch players). He had arms spread to block the header and just closed the angle down, did a Schmeichel-esque brave jump towards the player and the other guy happened to be between them. It's just not a pen for me, but I guess we'll see if they start calling it a pen. It's also a bit different if the guy heading it gets taken out rather than the guy off the ball. It's similar to when a player shoots and is then tackled while attempting a block but misses the ball. It's never really called a pen?

As you say, we've been used to a timid goalkeeper but this is more down to him being a brave goalkeeper who will close down attackers aggressively and get in their faces rather than shy away and pretend to be injured at slight contact despite the ref not calling the foul.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I feel like I'm in the minority here but the only reason that was any sort of controversy for me was because it is United involved and because football has become so overanalyzed where every incidental contact is looked at like crazy. He had body on body contact with a player who was between the guy who headed the ball and the goalkeeper... Goalkeepers since forever were allowed to clean out players in their way when attempting to get to the ball (so long as they don't punch players). He had arms spread to block the header and just closed the angle down, did a Schmeichel-esque brave jump towards the player and the other guy happened to be between them. It's just not a pen for me, but I guess we'll see if they start calling it a pen. It's also a bit different if the guy heading it gets taken out rather than the guy off the ball. It's similar to when a player shoots and is then tackled while attempting a block but misses the ball. It's never really called a pen?

As you say, we've been used to a timid goalkeeper but this is more down to him being a brave goalkeeper who will close down attackers aggressively and get in their faces rather than shy away and pretend to be injured at slight contact despite the ref not calling the foul.
Jaysus. Take off the red tinted specs. That didn’t happen at all. He tried to punch the ball but got there far too late.

bosnian_red

Jaysus. Take off the red tinted specs. That didn’t happen at all. He tried to punch the ball but got there far too late.
He got there late but he didn't go for a punch, he went to smother it! He fully ran into the guy yes (arms out going for a smother and not a catch or punch), but it was the guy who was inconsequential to the play. Guy behind him headed the ball. So in effect that to me is closer to just a goalkeeper clearing people out who are in front of them, off the ball, on their way to claim a ball than it is doing anything to affect any of the play or fouling an opponent, punching a player in the head as that player goes for the ball, etc.

I didn't watch it live, so honestly this isn't me getting stuck in an emotional feeling in the moment, my genuine thought on it is that I've never seen that called a penalty. It's completely different for me if it was the guy who actually headed the ball, who then got taken out. Even then, that rarely gets called unless it's fist to the face rather than body on body tackle basically.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vX6aEmj5qC8?feature=share

dubplate warrior

Agreed, the feeling I got watching him in the CL and against Wolves was that he's quality. The thing that shocked me was how poor our movement off the ball was, I couldn't understand it. We practically have a spare CB in Onana, give him him an option!

Paul778

Agreed, the feeling I got watching him in the CL and against Wolves was that he's quality. The thing that shocked me was how poor our movement off the ball was, I couldn't understand it. We practically have a spare CB in Onana, give him him an option!
It's been like this since the days of Moyes.

We should give them ankle straps during training matches where if they stand still for more than 3s it gives them a little electric shock.

NLunited

It is in the sense that Onana did not affect the opponent's ability to play the ball as best as he could in that situation, as it had already happened, and no obvious goal-scoring opportunity was denied either.

Taken from the FA's website, the following factors were surely also taken into consideration and were in favour of Onana here:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders
No penalty for me.
I saw a keeper missing the ball last season, instead punching the player in the head who headed it. No pen.

Onana was going for the ball and didn‘t interfere with play, I don‘t see how the decision to not give the penalty could be construed as a clear and obvious error.

I didn‘t think it would be a pen for one second.

Apparently the VAR ref of Monday‘s game has been punished. This makes me think there‘s a campaign against us. Along with the two bullshit suspensions of Casemiro last season.

And that handball of Martinez that came off his own body, that they gave a penalty for. That was a clear misinterpretation of the rules.

But if a decision goes in our favour, the ref gets punished. What‘s going on here?

Apokalips

I saw a keeper missing the ball last season, instead punching the player in the head who headed it. No pen.

Onana was going for the ball and didn‘t interfere with play, I don‘t see how the decision to not give the penalty could be construed as a clear and obvious error.

I didn‘t think it would be a pen for one second.

Apparently the VAR ref of Monday‘s game has been punished. This makes me think there‘s a campaign against us. Along with the two bullshit suspensions of Casemiro last season.

And that handball of Martinez that came off his own body, that they gave a penalty for. That was a clear misinterpretation of the rules.

But if a decision goes in our favour, the ref gets punished. What‘s going on here?
Technically they should be a penalty, but I don't get why people act like this doesn't happen multiple times a season. Keepers often clean players out in the air and get no punishment for it including, like you say, punching players in the head. These should probably be called as pens, but need to be done so consistently and uniformly. The act may be erratic but it's not something exclusive to Onana, but every single keeper (bar DDG who doesn't leave his line).

I'm not saying keepers should be allowed to do this sort of thing, but it is commonplace that keepers get away with some wild, reckless attempts to win the ball in the air.

dubplate warrior

It's been like this since the days of Moyes.

We should give them ankle straps during training matches where if they stand still for more than 3s it gives them a little electric shock.
It wasn't for long periods last season until Martinez got injured. There were plenty of times I saw us playing nice patterns and working through the lines, working a space for Rashford to score. That didn't happen against Wolves for whatever reason.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
(inspired in Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da)

Onana makes another miraculous save
He is commanding our defense
Dont mess with him he's tough and brave
But if you try you won't stand a chance

Onana, Onana saves the day
La la la la la la la

( I tried, don't spank me)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
(inspired in Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da)

Onana makes another miraculous save
He is commanding our defense
Dont mess with him he's tough and brave
But if you try you won't stand a chance

Onana, Onana saves the day
La la la la la la la

( I tried, don't spank me)
Using a scouse song? Sacrilegious.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
It was never a penalty in my opinion, though it was a risky play.
Having watched the highlights of the game, and Onana in the past season as well, I'm finding his positioning to be incredible. I think you guys got the best goalkeeper in the world.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Only Onana, Varane, and Casemiro could come out of this game with some sort of dignity. The rest are just garbage and should be fined.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He played well again and the sweeping action in the first half followed by evading the pressure and then playing a lovely curled effort to Garnacho deserved a goal

FerociousCorgis

Good game by him. Honestly I didn't think adding him without getting the rest right would matter but seemingly it has.

Ace of Spades

Why are we now playing this stupid long ball crap when we finally have a keeper who can help in build up play.

criticalanalysis

He made good saves, held onto shots, slowed down the game multiple times and even set off some really good chances with his passing.

Our best player and was very good himself. Nothing else needs to be said.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He made good saves, held onto shots, slowed down the game multiple times and even set off some really good chances with his passing.

Our best player and was very good himself. Nothing else needs to be said.
He deserves so much better. He was awesome.