g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Abraxas

I think part of looking good as a ballplaying keeper is you need guys in front of you that want the ball and move to receive it. If they're all stood there against a proactive Wolves pressing side then there isn't much that is going to happen without taking unacceptable risks. He's a keeper stood between his own posts not a fecking magician. He showed with that pass out to Garnacho the range and ability he has but as with any player, we need to be providing movement and understand how to position if we want to get the most out of it. It might take time because it's a new set of skills we didn't have before.

Blood Mage

A bit pointless and dare I say unnecessarily risky having an eccentric playmaking goalkeeper if the rest of the team are planning to stand around like statues. Might as well have kept De Gea.

Bertie Wooster

Could have been a pen but I think it was the correct decision in the end. Other than that he’s a clear upgrade on David. That diving catch at the end was fantastic proactive keeping. Potentially saved a goal and that’s exactly what we have missed. A keeper that stops the chance before it forms.
Yeah, that's a good description.

You often hear more / louder criticism of proactive keepers who look to come off their line for through balls or crosses because, when they get it wrong, it's a more glaring error than keepers who stay on their line and 'can't do anything' about a close range finish - but, as you say, they can do something by being proactive and cutting out plenty of those threats before they turn into those close range chances.

It's comparable with other discussions that go on - such as passing the ball out from the back. When that goes wrong, and leads to a goal, it's more noticeable as the error is made closer to goal. Whereas opponents scoring after a long hoof up the field turns over possession is less obvious a connection. And many don't attribute goals scored to the continual dragging opponents out of position that comes from playing through the press, whereas a long ball up front that gets flicked on and scored within seconds is a more obvious assist to notice.

tenhagsimp

He's our best player out there tonight for sure. With the way people talk about his "shot stopping" as a concern you would think he would concede at least 2 or 3 goals tonight. Very good display

Olecurls99

Yeah, that's a good description.

You often hear more / louder criticism of proactive keepers who look to come off their line for through balls or crosses because, when they get it wrong, it's a more glaring error than keepers who stay on their line and 'can't do anything' about a close range finish - but, as you say, they can do something by being proactive and cutting out plenty of those threats before they turn into those close range chances.

It's comparable with other discussions that go on - such as passing the ball out from the back. When that goes wrong, and leads to a goal, it's more noticeable as the error is made closer to goal. Whereas opponents scoring after a long hoof up the field turns over possession is less obvious a connection. And many don't attribute goals scored to the continual dragging opponents out of position that comes from playing through the press, whereas a long ball up front that gets flicked on and scored within seconds is a more obvious assist to notice.
What close range finish did he cut out? There was no chance to snuff out. He created a problem by coming off his line needlessly.

Bertie Wooster

What close range finish did he cut out? There was no chance to snuff out. He created a problem by coming off his line needlessly.
I was making a more general point, responding to the posters point about: "That diving catch at the end was fantastic proactive keeping. Potentially saved a goal and that’s exactly what we have missed. A keeper that stops the chance before it forms."

Wasn't actually referring to the 'penalty' incident.

Olecurls99

I was making a more general point, responding to the posters point about: "That diving catch at the end was fantastic proactive keeping. Potentially saved a goal and that’s exactly what we have missed. A keeper that stops the chance before it forms."

Wasn't actually referring to the 'penalty' incident.
Well if we're gonna praise the proactive stuff we should also accept criticism when it turns a nothing situation into a problem.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Loved the dive for the cross near the end

On the passing out from the back, to be honest Wolves didn’t press too much high up the pitch. They just let our outfielders give the ball away instead :lol:

lex talionis

Onana was my MOTM by some distance. A nearly flawless performance — and it was no pen, not a chance — but there wasn’t even a scintilla of a glimmer that his performance, as great as it was, had any kind of “transformational” impact on our attacking play.

devil99

24/36 passes (67%)
4/15 long balls (27%)

Thought he was good at this.
You understand there are two players required to make a pass work right?

He most often than not found an United player with his passing. Our forwards being sh** at winning headers and trapping long ball is not his problem.

With DDG most of the time it was either going out or not in the vicinity of targeted player for long balls.

sugar_kane

A clean sheet after we conceded the most shots at OT in nearly 20 years is a great stat to point to for his debut and should give him and the team confidence.

He looked assured all game although surprisingly conservative - whether that was nerves or not (it didn’t seem to be) it wasn’t the worst thing in the world since you know the press would have been desperate to put the knife in.

The only player who came out of last nights game with credit. Maybe Sancho as well for his positive cameo and Varane for being fairly solid + the goal.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
That Cross catching save produced by Onana right at the end of the game sums up how badly we needed a goalie brave enough to come off his line.

De Gea would never have come out for that cross, Glad we made this Signing, he would save us lot of points by being proactive.

flappyjay

That Cross catching save produced by Onana right at the end of the game sums up how badly we needed a goalie brave enough to come off his line.

De Gea would never have come out for that cross, Glad we made this Signing, he would save us lot of points by being proactive.
There was a through ball where Varane slowed and let the striker run past him, I was about to scream then I realised Onana had come to meet the ball. I saw Chelsea's Sanchez claim a high cross on Sunday and I thought damn that's beautiful.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That potential penalty moment was a big error no other way to frame it. He misjudged the flight of the ball and made a big booboo. Apart from that though he was great. I made the big Pete comp early and I'm sticking to it. He's gonna be great for us.

ManRed

A bit pointless and dare I say unnecessarily risky having an eccentric playmaking goalkeeper if the rest of the team are planning to stand around like statues. Might as well have kept De Gea.
Wolves were spot on with their pressing. They let Onana have the ball and only pressed when pass was made. Agreed we needed better movemenr from our players and need that trust he will find them.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The one at the end where he cut out the cross was something I’ve never seen de Gea do and that prevented a massive chance no doubt.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Interesting to note that his starting position during the build up was deeper than it has been during pre season.

The two lobbed goals he conceded have obviously changed his thought process about being too high up the pitch.

sillwuka

Interesting to note that his starting position during the build up was deeper than it has been during pre season.

The two lobbed goals he conceded have obviously changed his thought process about being too high up the pitch.
I noticed this, I wonder if that was instructed by the manager or his own decision.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I noticed this, I wonder if that was instructed by the manager or his own decision.
Yeah that's an interesting question, I'd imagine it has to have been EtH with the instruction, but maybe he just trusts Onana with his own decision?!

Longshanks

Good performance made some good saves and commanded his area well. Those cross claims towards the end of the game where an absolute pleasure to see.

Maybe got a bit lucky with the penalty shout, you don't normally see those given but you could certainly make a case for it. But I like the intent and the commitment. Already sending messages to the rest of the league that you can't just throw balls into our six yard box because Onana will have them. It's was a very valid tactic against us in the past.

In terms of his distribution and having a transformative impact on our attack. It's not going to be overly noticed in game where we spent most of our time looking at a wolves low block. But against teams that are going to press high with a high line we should hopefully notice it then that's where we and De Gea struggled most last season. That should be where we notice it the most.

crossy1686

career ending
What I like about him, apart from the obvious improvement in general goalkeeping, he's fronting up to every interview pre and post game. Definitely not shy and is making a claim as a squad leader already.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He still needs to calm a bit.

I think he wanted to prove that he can do better than De Gea and that he's worth it.

He has one saved that was dubbious and that jump on the striker was awful.

Other than that thought he was great

fallengt

Performed exactly how we wanted. Class at what he's good at, some errors here and there but that is expected with his chaotic playstyle.

Red Rash

Overall pretty good debut. Made a few saves and generally decent short passing. I noticed some of the long passes were a bit erratic but I'm not sure if this was so much on Onana or our outfield players not being aggressive enough to win those balls.

The long pass to Garnacho in the first half was nice though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
just tapped it round the back. i think people were willing it to be something different, but it wasn't. it was extremely dull build up play.

he is obviously capable of being far better than today, but just like when people said mourinho guaranteed trophies, that sancho was top 10 player in the world etc, it is just never as easy as it seems
He still looked more comfortable with the ball at his feet than DDG ever did. Even if it was just tapping it round the back. And we’ve already seen in pre-season he’s a level above on the ball. Don’t know why you’re so keen to be in denial about this? It’s quite obvious. There’s more than enough other reasons to be on a downer about last night anyway.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
just tapped it round the back. i think people were willing it to be something different, but it wasn't. it was extremely dull build up play.

he is obviously capable of being far better than today, but just like when people said mourinho guaranteed trophies, that sancho was top 10 player in the world etc, it is just never as easy as it seems
The build up wasn’t his fault, weird post

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The team were passing back to him too often. A lot of the team today were extremely passive on the ball. Its good to have a keeper who can play but that doesn’t mean the rest of the team should just stop taking responsibility on the ball. Hopefully ETH sorts that crap out

Idxomer

Overall pretty good debut. Made a few saves and generally decent short passing. I noticed some of the long passes were a bit erratic but I'm not sure if this was so much on Onana or our outfield players not being aggressive enough to win those balls.

The long pass to Garnacho in the first half was nice though.
It was the latter, almost none of his long balls were aimless and our players failed every time to win it.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There was a through ball where Varane slowed and let the striker run past him, I was about to scream then I realised Onana had come to meet the ball. I saw Chelsea's Sanchez claim a high cross on Sunday and I thought damn that's beautiful.
Yeah that was mint. So refreshing having a goalie being proactive and brave. The team has to FECKING MOVE for him though so we can utilise his passing strengths too.

MegadrivePerson

After years of playing with De Gea, I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to for some of our players that are playing with a goalkeeper that has the complete opposite style.

Red Rash

It was the latter, almost none of his long balls were aimless and our players failed every time to win it.
Yea that's what I was thinking. My only point is in time if Onana realises our players don't win these long balls he may want to rethink his distribution. Something that will come with time once he gets to know his teammates better I think.

justboy68

I just love seeing a keeper coming for crosses and to be honest I love the occasional clattering of an opposition player as well in the process. We conceded countless opportunities and goals from having a keeper who was glued to his line at all times.