5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Revan

Assumptionman
That was obviously a mistake, not the end of the world cause it is a friendly, but most definitely a mistake. Hopefully he learns from it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De gea would have saved that
That's true.

De Gea saving that whilst being rooted to his line would've prolonged the agony of having players in the first phase who aren't good enough in possession. De Gea himself wasn't good enough hence we never evolved into a proactive attacking team in a era where the top end of the EPL is being dominated by teams who place heavy emphasis on having a high technical level from the GK up.

With Onana in the team, even more focus will be on raising the technical floor of the team and it'll be easier to pin point the weaknesses to improve on rather than get stuck in our half in a deeper defensive line against any half decent high pressing team.

Raven

Thought he was good again barring a couple of loose passes. Goal had almost nothing to do with him, it was a dodgy pass from Dalot and a lovely shot.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He should learn from this, EPL teams would look to catch him off his line.
What is he learning? Should he drop deeper?
His position is where he needs to be. What we should learn is to stop giving the ball away under no pressure.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Looked really solid and instant ready for the season start.

For the goal. Meh.. it was a really good shot, just at good pace and height.

Last edited:

Stadjer

Obviously that is not a mistake. He is supposed to be far of his line because it helps the general play. This kind of chip is just a risk that you will have with Onana or someone like Neuer or Ederson at goal. As long as the team keeps the ball than its no issue that Onana is far off his line.

Shimo

He may stay on his line until we get a capable right back!. I’m joking obviously but he needs to be on guard especially when one of our right backs are on the ball. Definitely not his fault for the goal.
Through the team we have players that can be quite frivolous with the ball. Casemiro can be very loose with his passing at times and Bruno does his thing. It will take work from Onana's teammates and himself to get used to each other. Overall though the onus will be on the team to be lot better with the ball, Onana was brought in to play exactly as he does up the pitch, so players have to know they can't give away chances like that.

Glorio

I'm intrigued at how many chances we created from his long out balls. Credit to Rashford and co for almost always finding a teammate with the flick on. One second the keeper has the ball, the next couple, we're facing the opposing keeper and it's not even a counter.

This game has shown that he will in fact transform our attack.

Tiber

Doubt it's the last time we see him get chipped from near the halfway line this year. He will get assists but it will cost us as well.

RuudTom83

If Hojlund can be a wall upfront to control those long balls and then move it left/right for Garnacho/Rashford/Antony...its going to be a huge impact on the overall play.

Regardless of stats, Onanao passes the eye test for sure.

NLunited

That was obviously a mistake, not the end of the world cause it is a friendly, but most definitely a mistake. Hopefully he learns from it.
Obviously Dalot made the mistake, I hope he learns from it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Delighted we’ve got him and I’m sure he’ll be great and improve the way we play, but come on Caf, he has to take some responsibility for the goal, he got done from the half way line ffs :lol:

NLunited

Delighted we’ve got him and I’m sure he’ll be great and improve the way we play, but come on Caf, he has to take some responsibility for the goal, he got done from the half way line ffs :lol:
He was where he needs to be. Why don‘t you bring up Dalot‘s hospital pass?

Drainy

Because a fullback misplaced the pass giving the opposition a clean strike on goal.

He is positioned to support the defence in possession, which is the phase of play we are in.

This is 2023, goalkeepers are expected to be a spare man when building out from the back.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This isn't the Dalot's thread.

Gaidal

With de Gea the defensive line would have been like 50 meters lower so we couldnt have lost the ball at the half way line.

Onana is a huge upgrade and you can see that with how high up the pitch we can play now.

NLunited

Media is spinning this as an Onana mistake, it is 100% a Dalot mistake.

More clicks blaming the new gk I suppose.

Based Adnan

It would be a mistake if the opposition had the ball on the halfway in a position to shoot and he was still so high up

Fact is the ball was turned over in an instant due to a dumb unexpected mistake. You can't blame the goalkeeper for being positioned where he is supposed to be when we have possession.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
A lot more teams would be targeting him on the chip from long way out...
Same with Ederson too then, just don't give possession away in stupid places (Dalot)

Also Dalot passed it in such a way he could run onto it and hit it, you don't usually give the opposition a lay off at the half way line

Revan

Assumptionman
Same old story when the new signings get a honeymoon period (remember the Darmian, the Italian fantastic defender) before turning to them. Maguire the world class CB, AWB the best tackler in the world and countless other examples where the new signings, especially if they are the manager’s, can do no wrong.

I just hope Onana and ten Hag actually learn something from this. Under no circumstances (except probably in the last minute where the keeper goes to score from a corner kick) is acceptable to concede a goal from 50+ meters. If that happens, it is a mistake. Yep, we have seen Neuer and Ederson conceding these goals too but those were mistakes too. Luckily, it happened in a match that has no importance, and hopefully it does not happen again.

JakeTheRed

A lot of people claiming it to be a mistake from Onana when, in fact, it's completely Dalot's fault for the misplaced pass.

Onana is most likely told by Ten Hag to not be glued to his line (which, for the people with short memory, everyone gave De Gea so much stick about never coming off his line).

Remember the geese

Same old story when the new signings get a honeymoon period (remember the Darmian, the Italian fantastic defender) before turning to them. Maguire the world class CB, AWB the best tackler in the world and countless other examples where the new signings, especially if they are the manager’s, can do no wrong.

I just hope Onana and ten Hag actually learn something from this. Under no circumstances (except probably in the last minute where the keeper goes to score from a corner kick) is acceptable to concede a goal from 50+ meters. If that happens, it is a mistake. Yep, we have seen Neuer and Ederson conceding these goals too but those were mistakes too. Luckily, it happened in a match that has no importance, and hopefully it does not happen again.
You're wrong.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some are really desperate to come down on Onana that they'd pretend that he had any part in us conceding that goal.

Onana was where he's supposed to be. He helps with the build up and he's always an available option for a pass. When the team has the ball under no pressure we should be able not to give it away cheaply and cause our own issues.

I'm glad Onana kept playing the way he plays unbothered, and was still making himself available as a passing outlet high up the pitch.

And those thinking teams will be attempting to chip him from far, how many teams attempted to chip in for far this pre season? Exactly once. That's right, from a needless mistake. This should tell people everything they need to know.

Idxomer

We conceded from the same misplaced pass in the last game too which tells me more about our right-backs than Onana.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

What did Neuer and Ederson “learn” from it? You can’t seriously be suggesting they changed their play to cut out any risk of it happening again. They repeatedly exposed themselves to the same risk.

Revan

Assumptionman
What did Neuer and Ederson “learn” from it? You can’t seriously be suggesting they changed their play to cut out any risk of it happening again. They repeatedly exposed themselves to the same risk.
That you need to be a bit more careful, I guess. I believe since Stankovic goal where Neuer fecked up (and might have caused them the tie), he didn’t get a goal from 50 meters again.

Dalot fecked up but players misplace passes all the time, especially 50-60 yards away. That should not result in a goal.

Idxomer

That you need to be a bit more careful, I guess. I believe since Stankovic goal where Neuer fecked up (and might have caused them the tie), he didn’t get a goal from 50 meters again.

Dalot fecked up but players misplace passes all the time, especially 50-60 yards away. That should not result in a goal.
He conceded one from even further than that under Pep.

ShinjiNinja26

Media is spinning this as an Onana mistake, it is 100% a Dalot mistake.

More clicks blaming the new gk I suppose.
I wouldn’t expect anything less from that lot, the media in Britain is fecking terrible. Seen lots saying “Onana Embarrasses himself on home debut” the only thing embarrassing is the state of their reporting.

cafecillos

How the feck is that not 100% Dalot's mistake? Unfortunately I'm starting to realise Onana is going to be given a hard time by quite a few "supporters" (DDG's windowers + people who doesn't understand the role of a goalkeeper in 2023, although there's certainly a huge overlap between the two groups). Hopefully he will be able to handle it.

OverratedOpinion

Onana will not stop making himself available as a passing option to help beat the press in those situations. The next time we are in that exact situation he will be stood in the exact same position.

Hopefully Dalot will learn that it's not a good idea to play square hospital balls across the backline to the other team.

The reason that you don't see goals like that every week is.

1. Because defenders don't make such careless passes in that position often.
2. Because on the very, very rare occasions they do, strikers don't usually hit a flawless first time effort with the perfect angle on it.

This is nothing to do with a keeper making themselves available for a pass and being proactive. It is everything to do with a near suicidal pass from that position and a stunning effort.

FriedClams

It was not a mistake by Onana. He was where he was supposed to be, it's actually just a very well executed goal from Lens that came about because of a mistake. It's a risk you take with a sweeper keeper, the defence know where his position is too so any give away is going to leave their keeper struggling to get back.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I don't think a Lens player could have played a pass better than Dalot did for the striker to hit it first time. Beautiful weight of pass with minimal time for Onana to drop back.

Onana wouldn't be so far off his line if Lens were in possession. Any other stray pass would have given him time to get back.