View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

jadaba

After a high-profile howler, it'd be easy for any player to try overcompensate in the following match and mess up the simple things they need to do. He seemed entirely immune to that today which was reassuring to see. Did everything well and simply. Big fan of his personality.

Oranges038

Agreed. The main thing we're missing a deep midfielder which can push the CBS apart and the full backs to the line which would also open the option for the diagonal.
I'm interested to see what happens if / when everybody is fit
Aye, Burnley pressed up and blocked off the passes, there's no point pressing him when he's just going to play around you, or change direction and switch the play. Like that one early on where he dropped the shoulder on the edge of the 6 yard box and sent the Burnley player to the shops.

ti vu

Looks intentional to me. A combination of him not having options but it also looks like we are trying to invite the press so he can then break it with a good pass.
Agree.

Also remember that we just played Bayern away on Wednesday, where their mostly superior athletic players run us rag. I believe our fitness level doesn't allow us to play a fast high intense game with said fatigue, and current technical level. Just grind result, and getting that clean sheet. Not a game to micro analyze player especially GK for gamechanging factorl

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Honestly, I don't think Onana has had a bad game for United. He has had some bad moments, Wednesday night in Munich providing the most horrific, but even that night he pulled off a bunch of saves after the horror show. Something we needed given how our midfield seems to open like a 7/11.

Solid tonight. Came for crosses. Was frustrated in his short distribution by the centre backs and centre midfield being either unwilling or unable to take the ball short and beat the press. Hopefully Licha returns from injury soon...

redIndianDevil

Always seems a bit skittish but solid today. The thing that grates me is why is he taking so long to make a pass, I wouldn’t fault him for that but does passing out from the back look so forced for us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Read back the thread when we signed him. Lots claimed it would revolutionise us. Lots said De Gea held the attacking back.
He held back our build up and ability to see out a game and right now an injury crisis is

acnumber9

At this point it’s better to climb down and accept you got it wrong.
It’s a game of opinions. I don’t like our goalkeeper keeping the ball so long and I don’t think it granted any real benefit tonight than wasting time. Others do. That’s up to them.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
In that scenario pass it to the defenders right in front of you. That’s what every other keeper does. The alternative was him taking an age and then passing it to the defenders who were always open. All you do is give them time to set themselves.
He is first trying to see if there are better options.
On top of that, his possession and control came at times when Burnley was dictating pace ... he didn't hurry and that helped United dictate their own pace and reclaim control over the game.
He acted as a regista, oddly enough as a goalkeeper. Just like a good regista know when to speeden the game up and when to give their team time to recollect themselves, Onana did the same.
I understand how it can be infuriating if you are used to a goalkeeper just kicking it up or quickly giving it back to the first defender available as their only option .... Onana gives you more options in that regard.
Yes, it can feel like a waste of time if you aren't aware of what he's trying to do there.
His play helped United massively in this game. Games are all about taking advantage of those times where there inertia of the game is favouring your time. Onana helped to change the tide of that inertia from Burnley to United

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s a game of opinions. I don’t like our goalkeeper keeping the ball so long and I don’t think it granted any real benefit tonight than wasting time. Others do. That’s up to them.
Of course. But yours seems to be the odd one out at the moment.

As pointed out it’s clearly tactical and something quite common in the game today.

AR87

Onana always had defenders to pass to. It’s not ideal but it is what it is. Our midfielders are also the reason a midfielder was more important than a goalkeeper.
Those passes would achieve nothing and are exactly what Burnley were hoping for him to do. He's trying to draw defenders to himself so that when he does play it to the CB they have time and space to try to play the ball forward.

I have no idea why him passing it earlier to Lindelof or Evans when Burnley would've been in better position to put them under pressure is a good idea to you or a mark against Onana.

AaronRedDevil

Did you not think that he simply couldn't find a player to pass it too when he had the ball. Only the cb were open. He was trying to pick out a good pass but all of our players were hiding.

acnumber9

Of course. But yours seems to be the odd one out at the moment.

As pointed out it’s clearly tactical and something quite common in the game today.
So be it. I won’t change my mind because people pile on. I’ll change my mind when I see the net benefit. I don’t believe we’ve seen it yet.

acnumber9

Did you not think that he simply couldn't find a player to pass it too when he had the ball. Only the cb were open. He was trying to pick out a good pass but all of our players were hiding.
But he did. And it was usually to the player that was available the whole time. This may be the modern game, but is the modern all that good?

TheReligion

Abusive
So be it. I won’t change my mind because people pile on. I’ll change my mind when I see the net benefit. I don’t believe we’ve seen it yet.
That’s not the point though. You’re criticising the player when what he was doing is quite clearly tactical instruction.

acnumber9

That’s not the point though. You’re criticising the player when what he was doing is quite clearly tactical instruction.
It is the point. My initial post was about how infuriatingly slow I find him and I don’t see where we’re benefitting. It may very well be tactical but that doesn’t mean the tactic is working.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is the point. My initial post was about how infuriatingly slow I find him. It may very well be tactical but that doesn’t mean the tactic is working.
So the issue should be with the gaffer then.

And you may find the tactic works better when we have our first choice players back.

acnumber9

So the issue should be with the gaffer then.

And you may find the tactic works better when we have our first choice players back.
In part, but players still have to make decisions on the pitch.

It may do, but that would have no impact of how I’ve found his performances to date or whether he was infuriatingly slow tonight.

criticalanalysis

The net benefit is that we don't start playing passes to our defenders deep in our half with the opposition ready to press.

They played chicken with Onana and he didn't bite. The bigger issue is that we don't have (a) player/s or tactical instructions on how to bring the ball out from the ball more effectively. Onana is more than clearly comfortable playing a square pass to Evan or Lindelof. The problem is that when those two then receive the ball, they are reluctant to play it forward because the progressive pass isn't as clear (and therefore dangerous) so it'll eventually go back to Onana, where he'll be put in a position to either take a touch and invite even more pressure or boot it long because the Burnley players will be in position to chase it down.

So to go back to the full circle, Onana chose to wait on the ball until a much better option came forward rather than going through the motions/process of the above scenario.

It's the lesser of the evils unfortunately in this dysfunctional set up we have.

The alternative of course is that Onana boots it long from a goal kick, which is even worse of an option as we all know it will come straight back.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly I really like him as a goalkeeper. He's brave, composed as feck, a solid shot stopper overall imo, actually tried to stop crosses and has dealt with them to a high level so far... he's made a big difference to our play. Looking forward to us getting out main team out around him though and building forward.

Longshanks

Read back the thread when we signed him. Lots claimed it would revolutionise us. Lots said De Gea held the attacking back.
He has made a difference in that regard, see the arsenal and Bayern games, in both games we periods of control and were able to build attacking pressure even away from home and push both sides back at times. Ultimately we lost both games of course but you could see some encouraging building blocks. Unlike when De Gea was in charge and it was hit and hope and likely get penned in all game.

I think though yesterday the injury crisis and make shift back 4 meant we played to protect ourselves a little, we were deeper, didn't push high that often, hit quite a lot of long balls etc. I think that was to protect lindelof and Evans, somewhat. Despite that he hit some good passes with good distance and accuracy that helped us to get out, he allowed us to have some rest periods playing around at the back confidently aswell.

The team was set up to be defensively solid yesterday with the mctom, Casemerio double pivot being the most obvious sign and the full backs noticeably staying deeper and not really inverting. The team was set up to get a result rather than set up to play full ETH ball. Perhaps understandable given the injuries and players missing.

RPT_Reddevil

Being a United player, you will always be under severe scrutiny, with everyone with their magnifying glasses out.

The way he handled all of the noise after the Bayern game is commendable. With all his areas of improvement, it feels so assured with him on the ball.

stw2022

I think he's great. Even his long passes seem like they almost always have chance of finding someone in dangerous position.

the_cliff

Always seems a bit skittish but solid today. The thing that grates me is why is he taking so long to make a pass, I wouldn’t fault him for that but does passing out from the back look so forced for us.
He's waiting for the press. He waits for an attacker to press him first so he can take out a player with the first pass, it helps build up.

Marcelinho87

Honestly, I don't think Onana has had a bad game for United. He has had some bad moments, Wednesday night in Munich providing the most horrific, but even that night he pulled off a bunch of saves after the horror show. Something we needed given how our midfield seems to open like a 7/11.

Solid tonight. Came for crosses. Was frustrated in his short distribution by the centre backs and centre midfield being either unwilling or unable to take the ball short and beat the press. Hopefully Licha returns from injury soon...
I rate him and think he's done well too.

He's been let down by injuries ahead of him a never changing line up and a midfield so non existent it throws opposition chances at him all game long... He has had to be on the back foot more because of this.

When there is a settled team ahead of him we will see him further up dictating.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I think he's great. Even his long passes seem like they almost always have chance of finding someone in dangerous position.
This, I really like him. He's going to be really good once he beds in and hopefully has a settled defence in front of him.

RuudTom83

Badly needs a player to be a link between him and the midfield.

Hopefully it’s the on loan Amrabat.