View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

jesperjaap

Said in the summer caerful what you wish for. Akk these tactcal geniuses banging on abot how DeGea is so yesterday and its urgent we get a keeper than can play with ther efeet, improvment would be huge.

Onana isnt a bad keeper, he is great with his feet, but he is a mediocre keeper in other areas hyped like many cause of the fascination with playing the ball out.

People forget the pressre and scrutiny there is on being the keeper for this club, very few have succeeded and far better keepers than Onana have failed. For all his mistakes, DeGea handled that pressure well, even last season until the last few months.

Dont get me wrong, it was time for him to go....but I said I really dont see an available keeper that irs ready to be the number one here, not Roberto Sanchez, not the keeper now at Arsenal...and ngot bombarded with crap stats of how they are better shot stoppers than DeGea and he is rubbish at that.

The truth is, we spent near £50m on a keeper very good with his feet and average in other areas, he was average at Ajax and he was decent at Inter when the aforemention keepers....and other such as Vicario are on a similar level overall and cost half the price, paying half the price would have enabled us to sign another cb, which is the main reason we are squandering so many goals, as poor as Onana has been, we signed Evans on a ruddy free when there was uncertainty of Martinez and Varanes fitness this season....and now we are seeing the liability that he is playin gconsistently of Victor Lindelof....how the hell is he still here and our third choice cb? That is the biggest problem, the inability so far of Onana to even make a good save is obviousl compounding it....but he is 6games in, Lindelof has been here for years

Kweku Amonoo

There was no need in spending the amount we did on him. We had Kovar ready to go in as Number 1. He showed during pre season too that he was up to the task. But no, ETH just had to spend some money. Terrible signing, and a real net negative.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wish we tried for Maignan instead. A shame he never played in the Dutch league :(

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think it's more like the case of Man United making him bad.
Lev Yashin reincarnated would look bad here.
Onana is good, he was fantastic for us last season.
Give any keeper a defence like yours and he'll be doomed
You can have him back for half the price. We have had enough of him. He could be your Yashin as you might have wished, but he is basically a Taibi at Man Utd.

Chinchy98

Amazed no one is mentioning the stonewall penalty he gave away in first half, but got bailed out by a hand ball.

Even the palace game at the weekend I felt a top keeper saves that.

This is 1 howler at the weekend against Brentford away from being unrecoverable.

What an appalling start to his career here. Can’t dive, his distribution when down to 10 men was terrible (it’s been subpar all season imo outside of the Arsenal game), horrific 1v1 & doesn’t claim crosses with any calmness.

Signs so far point to signing a lemon. Disappointed big time

The United

Said in the summer caerful what you wish for. Akk these tactcal geniuses banging on abot how DeGea is so yesterday and its urgent we get a keeper than can play with ther efeet, improvment would be huge.

Onana isnt a bad keeper, he is great with his feet, but he is a mediocre keeper in other areas hyped like many cause of the fascination with playing the ball out.

People forget the pressre and scrutiny there is on being the keeper for this club, very few have succeeded and far better keepers than Onana have failed. For all his mistakes, DeGea handled that pressure well, even last season until the last few months.

Dont get me wrong, it was time for him to go....but I said I really dont see an available keeper that irs ready to be the number one here, not Roberto Sanchez, not the keeper now at Arsenal...and ngot bombarded with crap stats of how they are better shot stoppers than DeGea and he is rubbish at that.

The truth is, we spent near £50m on a keeper very good with his feet and average in other areas, he was average at Ajax and he was decent at Inter when the aforemention keepers....and other such as Vicario are on a similar level overall and cost half the price, paying half the price would have enabled us to sign another cb, which is the main reason we are squandering so many goals, as poor as Onana has been, we signed Evans on a ruddy free when there was uncertainty of Martinez and Varanes fitness this season....and now we are seeing the liability that he is playin gconsistently of Victor Lindelof....how the hell is he still here and our third choice cb? That is the biggest problem, the inability so far of Onana to even make a good save is obviousl compounding it....but he is 6games in, Lindelof has been here for years
Can't trust a goalkeeper who took someone else's medication. That was a huge red flag that United missed!

Ludens the Red

Very poor performance. Whatever the problem is needs to be sorted quickly.
You can surely see now what my point was regarding spending that money a lot more wisely? He’s been absolutely dreadful and there’s been absolutely zero effect on our play. I know you’ll say wait till Mainoo and Amrabat go into midfield but Ten Hag isn’t going to drop Bruno and or Mount..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he'll be good. But he needs dropping where he plays his way back in. It's just dumb to keep forcing all these people who are out of form and low on confidence, and it sends a bad message.

Jund

This guy is basically worse at everything he was supposed to be better at.

Yeah, we needed an upgrade in this position, but I kind of feel we played ourselves. EtH ain’t dropping him anytime soon, so I hope Cameroon don’t drop him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You can surely see now what my point was regarding spending that money a lot more wisely? He’s been absolutely dreadful and there’s been absolutely zero effect on our play. I know you’ll say wait till Mainoo and Amrabat go into midfield but Ten Hag isn’t going to drop Bruno and or Mount..
Surely you can see my point aswell. The previous GK had to go and we had to attempt to play a more expansive game and not look to cede possession every time we played a team who were adept at pressing high in a compact high block.

Onana's going through a bad patch and I'm going to support him to get through this tough period. But I have absolutely not changed my mind because Manchester United should absolutely look to play a more proactive attacking game. And if Onana doesn't improve and it gets to a stage where we need a new GK, then there's cheaper options who we can still target who fit the criteria for a GK for a EPL that us being dominated by teams who play a more expansive game.

ClassOf'99

I've just watched the goals back again... I've wanted to defend him, I was hopeful that having a ball playing keeper would ease the pressure... little did I know he would be ball playing to the opposition 2 CL games in a row.

I don't know what he's doing for the 2nd, what he's thinking for the penalty or why he just falls over and lets icardi have the easiest chip of his life to win the game.

I thought you're taught as a keeper to stay up and make yourself as big as possible, not shrink into a ball.

Before anyone brings up De Gea this, Dave made similar mistakes to these and needed to go but this... this is not a good way to become Dave's replacement

Captmfla

To be fair, Onana's mistakes didn't cause any goals. Even the penalty by Galatasaray was a miss.

He has such weird fundamentals. He's saved at least three shots here already with his chest :confused: which doesn't seem remotely sustainable/repeatable/advisable. The way he's glued to his line and so slow to react on obvious 1v1s is also absurd.

Good passer though. Really vital that he can Sling It Like Scholes in between the times he's throwing it into his own net or making face saves.

RuudTom83

That's 18 goals in 9 games. Fantastic way to start your united career.
It’s not great.

But the defence also takes some blame for goals conceded. Plus I don’t think United have had the first choice back 4 available once this season.

I’m trying my best to see a glimmer of hope this turns good.

redIndianDevil

Maybe I'm harsh but his positioning looked off for their first goal. I knew the stats and highlights at Inter showed he was an average shot stopper but I think he's worse that I thought he would be. Issue is that we concede plenty of shots on goal and don't dominate in a way that his weakness can be masked.
People showed us stats that showed Onana being better than De Gea at shot stopping. Simple eye test shows that Onana is rank average.

atkar83

This guy was good enough to make it to a Champions League final, so I doubt he's as trash as people are saying. He's very low on confidence, De Gea went through those patches too but would usually get out of it. Onana needs to asap

r0663664

Worships Man City
Sorry, if Onana is still not drop then there is an obvious favoritism here. ETH needs to bench him, I don't care he lose confidence when he is crap. He hasn't done anything in the last 10 games to show me that he is no.1. I cannot imagine that we paid 50 million when we could have bought a CB or ST. Erik's decision to spend money on position is puzzling.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This guy was good enough to make it to a Champions League final, so I doubt he's as trash as people are saying. He's very low on confidence, De Gea went through those patches too but would usually get out of it. Onana needs to asap
Benfica and Milan were the teams he faced to get to the final, mind you.

El Zoido

Sorry, if Onana is still not drop then there is an obvious favoritism here. ETH needs to bench him, I don't care he lose confidence when he is crap. He hasn't done anything in the last 10 games to show me that he is no.1. I cannot imagine that we paid 50 million when we could have bought a CB or ST. Erik's decision to spend money on position is puzzling.
We all unanimously agreed that we needed a new gk this summer. De Gea was playing these kinds of dodgy passes all last season and Martinez kept bailing him out. When Maguire was in, it was a disaster since neither were comfortable with the ball at their feet. But usually Maguire was the scapegoat in that situation. Seems we may have chosen a poor replacement, but gk was basically the primary position most fans felt we needed to upgrade on. People have got major rose tinted glasses on with De Gea, he was a fecking calamity towards the tail end of his career with us and definitely needed replacing.

Pintu

Inzaghi took time integrating him to the team. He kept rotating him… He watched the first 2 months of Serie A from the bench and had to earn his place. I think it was the same week, Handanovic was poor against Roma and Onana produced a good game with a CS against Barcelona in then CL, only after that did he earn his spot.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
a) DDG needed to be replaced
b) it shouldn’t have been hard to find an upgrade
c) we fecked up that simple task.

I mean, you don’t need to follow the club very closely to know that all three of these things can be true at once.
This needs to be pinned to the top of every page of every goalkeeper thread on the Caf.

Pintu

Benfica and Milan were the teams he faced to get to the final, mind you.
Those are better teams than Galatasaray… And he actually did face Bayern, Barcelona and Manchester City (that’s the 3 Champions of the other top 3 leagues faced during his UCL run)… None of those adversaries managed to make him look anywhere near the calamity we are witnessing now. Much to the contrary, he seemed up to it.

RuudtheRed

I will go against the grain here and say that while he had a terrible game in the UCL once again, we need to give him time and I believe he will be a good goalkeeper for us. A ball playing goalkeeper and playing out from the back comes with risks like these. I remember Alisson and Ederson making similar if not worse howlers too when they first joined their clubs (though he is nowhere near their level at the moment). The hope is that it happens so infrequently that the advantages of playing out from the back outweigh the negatives.

I love De Gea but even so, he was making these kinds of suicidal passes with more regularity last season and was very poor in possession. The difference is that he got bailed out by our defence last season. I do believe though that De Gea remains a better shot stopper than Onana, which is probably something he will need to improve. It might be worth dropping Onana for a game or two to take him out of the firing line, but I don't think ETH will do that.

ExoduS

That guy appears to be a terrible signing. Out of depth for sure. Massive downgrade from De Gea.
I’m not blaming him for the loss as for the goals he isn’t really at fault but he is at fault for Casemiro's red card and he is at fault for defense having 0 faith in him.

In my opinion he needs to be replaced as soon as possible. We seen enough that he is a major liability and he is gonna get worse and worse psychologically.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He may be another case of where the scrutiny and bright lights of United shrink you. I have not seen very much of the traits that he exhibited at Inter at all. The expected most transformative player seems to be playing within his shell.

Maybe all that talk about his supposedly 'confidence' may be just bravado.

justboy68

Really disappointed in him (and for him). We know he's a better keeper than what he's shown, seems like the pressure is just too much for him unfortunately. Going to have to hope he can turn it around though, because there's not much else we can do.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Really disappointed in him (and for him). We know he's a better keeper than what he's shown, seems like the pressure is just too much for him unfortunately. Going to have to hope he can turn it around though, because there's not much else we can do.
His perceived strengths were his communication/confidence, command of the box and his passing range. We have not seen any of that exhibited at all. But instead, he has made a series of Taibi-level blunders in such a short space of time.

Let's hope he can recover.

Maybe DDG can comeback and do an Ole and help us out!!!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
You can have him back for half the price. We have had enough of him. He could be your Yashin as you might have wished, but he is basically a Taibi at Man Utd.
Taibi? That's harsh. Onana has proven pedigree at least even at a smaller league

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Taibi? That's harsh. Onana has proven pedigree at least even at a smaller league
That’s not harsh consider their time at Man Utd. In fact, Taibi hasn’t been given fair chance here as we dumped him immediately after he started to leak goals after his first couple of games.

Taibi
- conceded 11 goals in 4 games in PL

Onana
- conceded 11 goals in 7 games in PL
- conceded 7 goals in 2 games in CL

united for life

What happens to players when they join united? I watched some of his games last year. He is not the best keeper in the world but he is not this bad! Is it the pressure for playing for united? It must be. He was known for being confident and great with his feet, i do not see a keeper who is confident and good with his feet

RedAlert27

How? Other than the mistake against Bayern and falling for the dummy against Forest he has done nothing wrong, the pass tonight was poor but Lindelof shouldnt have passed it back to him in the first place.
That's quite a scary assessment.

flappyjay

Where has this anti-Onana agenda come from? After the absolute liabilty we've had in goal for the last 3 or 4 seasons Onana is a refreshing change but is struggling because he is playing behind absolute dross like Lindelof, Maguire, and Evans.
Both his champions league howlers had nothing to do with the center backs. His poor handling can't be blamed on the center backs either.

flappyjay

How? Other than the mistake against Bayern and falling for the dummy against Forest he has done nothing wrong, the pass tonight was poor but Lindelof shouldnt have passed it back to him in the first place.
He had enough time to try to pick out Casemiro with his horrible pass. Which means he had enough time to boot it if he felt there were no viable options.