View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

Did I say that? I'm just pointing out to you why he does it.
I don't know what you said, but I do know what you wrote:

Still trotting out that claim I see.

He must hold onto the ball to draw the press and create gaps in behind for other players to fill and look for the ball. It's standard practice really when your trying to play out from the back like that with the keeper.

Would you rather he hoofed it aimlessly down the middle or out for a throw under no pressure?

Unless someone stole your login credentials it's pretty clear you wrote this.

What I'm reading is that "Onana must hold onto the ball..." and I'm telling you is that holding onto the ball often slows down the transition from defense to attack. Sometimes a keeper has to be judicious but with Onana it's a habit. All that said, our attack is shit in the first place so I'm not going to blame Onana for the shitness of our attack. But we were told here for most of the month of June that we needed to get rid -- and the words were "get rid" of De Gea because it was De Gea who was retarding our attack with his shit passing. But it turns out that our attack is no better now with Onana in goal than it was with De Gea in goal, which in no way is an indictment on Onana as it is never the case that the keeper is directly connected to chance creation.

As for Onana, the choices are not limited to holding onto the ball until the attacker is on top of him or aimlessly hoofing the ball out to touch. He can make his passes quickly, before the opposing team has a chance to get itself organized in defense. Sometimes that's not a realistic option and when it that's the case holding onto the ball may be the only viable option, but it's a routine part of his play and it gets us nowhere and arguably is a part of the problem releasing the ball out of the back when that much pressure is invited.

simplyared

Looks very uncontrolled when saving shots. Catching a shot in his gloves looks impossible the way he throws is arms about. Looks like he's hanging out his washing. Also the rebounds can end up anywhere. Certainly not convincing!

Oranges038

I don't know what you said, but I do know what you wrote:

Still trotting out that claim I see.

He must hold onto the ball to draw the press and create gaps in behind for other players to fill and look for the ball. It's standard practice really when your trying to play out from the back like that with the keeper.

Would you rather he hoofed it aimlessly down the middle or out for a throw under no pressure?

Unless someone stole your login credentials it's pretty clear you wrote this.

What I'm reading is that "Onana must hold onto the ball..." and I'm telling you is that holding onto the ball often slows down the transition from defense to attack. Sometimes a keeper has to be judicious but with Onana it's a habit. All that said, our attack is shit in the first place so I'm not going to blame Onana for the shitness of our attack. But we were told here for most of the month of June that we needed to get rid -- and the words were "get rid" of De Gea because it was De Gea who was retarding our attack with his shit passing. But it turns out that our attack is no better now with Onana in goal than it was with De Gea in goal, which in no way is an indictment on Onana as it is never the case that the keeper is directly connected to chance creation.

As for Onana, the choices are not limited to holding onto the ball until the attacker is on top of him or aimlessly hoofing the ball out to touch. He can make his passes quickly, before the opposing team has a chance to get itself organized in defense. Sometimes that's not a realistic option and when it that's the case holding onto the ball may be the only viable option, but it's a routine part of his play and it gets us nowhere and arguably is a part of the problem releasing the ball out of the back when that much pressure is invited.
Look, DDG just had to go, there's no two ways about it. He was done and has been since 2018. He should have been told to do one after he missed that penalty in the EL final, but he should have been shown the door a lot sooner in my view.

Onana is holding the ball waiting for a player to move into space or for everyone to be set up and in position. Such a thing exists. Because rushing it and losing the ball when players aren't in shape, can result in moments like the one that got Casemiro a red against Galatasaray. Watch Pope or Ederson do it, or Allison they do this time and time again. But, they will tend to move the ball quicker because the players in front are quicker to drop and move into space.

You keep going on about the keeper retarding or transforming the attack. I don't remember anyone claiming the keeper would transform the attack. I've asked of you before to provide those posts from June to back up those claims. And you never have.

lex talionis

Look, DDG just had to go, there's no two ways about it. He was done and has been since 2018. He should have been told to do one after he missed that penalty in the EL final, but he should have been shown the door a lot sooner in my view.

Onana is holding the ball waiting for a player to move into space or for everyone to be set up and in position. Such a thing exists. Because rushing it and losing the ball when players aren't in shape, can result in moments like the one that got Casemiro a red against Galatasaray. Watch Pope or Ederson do it, or Allison they do this time and time again. But, they will tend to move the ball quicker because the players in front are quicker to drop and move into space.

You keep going on about the keeper retarding or transforming the attack. I don't remember anyone claiming the keeper would transform the attack. I've asked of you before to provide those posts from June to back up those claims. And you never have.
There actually were "two ways about it". Onana is better with his feet, but De Gea is indisputably a better shot-stopper. The one and only argument for getting rid of De Gea for Onana is a once-in-a-generation keeper who was available last summer but would never be available again if we missed out on him, akin to what the situation we found ourselves in with Ronaldo 20 years ago. But the truth is that Onana is not a once-in-a-generation keeper. We actually had an outstanding defensive record last season and the last thing we needed to worry about was the keeper. We had a massive hole at CB (Varane being a permacrock), CM (Casemiro can't do it all on his own), CF (Martial is a clown) and arguably second CB (Maguire was a problem) and a second CM (Eriksen is collapsing). But instead we fukked around with a vanity keeper we didn't need and who is arguably a downgrade from De Gea.

Onana holding ball waiting around for players to get into position negates the whole idea of a brilliant ballplaying keeper. Defenders read exactly what Onana is going to do and lick their chops while holds the ball. I'm the first to admit that Onana has solid ballplaying skills but by holding the ball as long as he does -- with his foot on the top of the ball while we waits -- he nullifies his very strength. When you have a keeper with that kind of ability you want that keeper to hit his passes quickly. If this is not self-evident to you there's not much more than can be stated.

OMG reams of posts were posted here and elsewhere about the supposed "transformation", which I documented here months ago. Hilarious how so many people picked up on the cliche.

YouTubers:

Other media:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man...kZkFCEztQfmHAiBZqFQp-jKOugi_Mg-LRZ0zUwRNIzom9

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...would-transform-manchester-united/vi-AA1fCLRK

https://strettynews.com/2023/07/05/...s-andre-onana-to-transform-manchester-united/

https://en.hocmarketing.org/revolutionizing-man-utd-how-andre-onana-transformed-the-clubs-g-58785

https://www.magzter.com/stories/newspaper/Irish-Daily-Mirror/ONANA-TURNS-UP-THE-HEATON-UNITED

https://www.theinfostride.com/onana-will-transform-how-mufc-plays-erik-ten-hag/

https://loveworlduk.org/andre-onana-could-transform-man-united/

https://www.downthewings.com/scout-report-how-can-andre-onana-transform-manchester-united/

I could go on.

This is a typical "analysis" of how Onana would "transform" United's attack:

Onana would be a transformative signing. It’s been clear how big of an impact Ederson and Allison have had at Manchester City and Liverpool respectively. Onana would likely have a very similar impact at United.

Which is to say, not very astute. Although there can be no denying that Ederson was a huge upgrade over Hart and Alisson a huge upgrade over whoever preceded him, in no universe can it be argued that either keeper had a more transformative impact on their squad than Aguero and DeBryune for City and Salah and Virgil for Liverpool. Matches can be lost with a poor keeper, but great keepers have never and will never make a mediocre attack a powerful attack. Aguero and now Haaland are the difference between chances missed and chances converted. And beyond those two, their outfield players are outstanding. As many of us discussed yesterday, not a single United player would make the combined XI between the two squads. As for the ferocity of City's attack yesterday (which by their standards wasn't even that great of a performance), could it in any way be argued that the Ederson had a meaningful impact on the game? Of course not. But what was argued in June, when the mantra to "get rid" of De Gea became a fatwah -- "Look, DDG just had to go, there's no two ways about it."
-- we fukked ourselves with ridiculously poor squad rebuilding decisions, starting with getting rid of De Gea for a keeper who didn't suit the players we already have and who cost the club 40m that could have been spent on vastly higher priorities, such as a CB and a CDM. We haven't learned our lessons from previous mistakes and appear hellbent on making the same mistakes again and again and again.

Oranges038

There actually were "two ways about it". Onana is better with his feet, but De Gea is indisputably a better shot-stopper. The one and only argument for getting rid of De Gea for Onana is a once-in-a-generation keeper who was available last summer but would never be available again if we missed out on him, akin to what the situation we found ourselves in with Ronaldo 20 years ago. But the truth is that Onana is not a once-in-a-generation keeper. We actually had an outstanding defensive record last season and the last thing we needed to worry about was the keeper. We had a massive hole at CB (Varane being a permacrock), CM (Casemiro can't do it all on his own), CF (Martial is a clown) and arguably second CB (Maguire was a problem) and a second CM (Eriksen is collapsing). But instead we fukked around with a vanity keeper we didn't need and who is arguably a downgrade from De Gea.

Onana holding ball waiting around for players to get into position negates the whole idea of a brilliant ballplaying keeper. Defenders read exactly what Onana is going to do and lick their chops while holds the ball. I'm the first to admit that Onana has solid ballplaying skills but by holding the ball as long as he does -- with his foot on the top of the ball while we waits -- he nullifies his very strength. When you have a keeper with that kind of ability you want that keeper to hit his passes quickly. If this is not self-evident to you there's not much more than can be stated.

OMG reams of posts were posted here and elsewhere about the supposed "transformation", which I documented here months ago. Hilarious how so many people picked up on the cliche.

YouTubers:

Other media:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man...kZkFCEztQfmHAiBZqFQp-jKOugi_Mg-LRZ0zUwRNIzom9

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...would-transform-manchester-united/vi-AA1fCLRK

https://strettynews.com/2023/07/05/...s-andre-onana-to-transform-manchester-united/

https://en.hocmarketing.org/revolutionizing-man-utd-how-andre-onana-transformed-the-clubs-g-58785

https://www.magzter.com/stories/newspaper/Irish-Daily-Mirror/ONANA-TURNS-UP-THE-HEATON-UNITED

https://www.theinfostride.com/onana-will-transform-how-mufc-plays-erik-ten-hag/

https://loveworlduk.org/andre-onana-could-transform-man-united/

https://www.downthewings.com/scout-report-how-can-andre-onana-transform-manchester-united/

I could go on.

This is a typical "analysis" of how Onana would "transform" United's attack:

Onana would be a transformative signing. It’s been clear how big of an impact Ederson and Allison have had at Manchester City and Liverpool respectively. Onana would likely have a very similar impact at United.

Which is to say, not very astute. Although there can be no denying that Ederson was a huge upgrade over Hart and Alisson a huge upgrade over whoever preceded him, in no universe can it be argued that either keeper had a more transformative impact on their squad than Aguero and DeBryune for City and Salah and Virgil for Liverpool. Matches can be lost with a poor keeper, but great keepers have never and will never make a mediocre attack a powerful attack. Aguero and now Haaland are the difference between chances missed and chances converted. And beyond those two, their outfield players are outstanding. As many of us discussed yesterday, not a single United player would make the combined XI between the two squads. As for the ferocity of City's attack yesterday (which by their standards wasn't even that great of a performance), could it in any way be argued that the Ederson had a meaningful impact on the game? Of course not. But what was argued in June, when the mantra to "get rid" of De Gea became a fatwah -- "Look, DDG just had to go, there's no two ways about it."
-- we fukked ourselves with ridiculously poor squad rebuilding decisions, starting with getting rid of De Gea for a keeper who didn't suit the players we already have and who cost the club 40m that could have been spent on vastly higher priorities, such as a CB and a CDM. We haven't learned our lessons from previous mistakes and appear hellbent on making the same mistakes again and again and again.
Nah, he had to go. His shot stopping was just about average and every other aspect he was in the bottom rung of PL keepers. Onana might not be the long term solution but that doesn't mean his predecessor should have been kept. What annoys me is that ETH specifically targetted a keeper with his skillset and is now drifting away from utilising it to it's max potential, but that is largely due to injuries in key areas.

Where are the posts on here you keep referring to? I've never been able to find them and you won't provide them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Onana is not on positive end of PSxG, leaped from bottom of the table to middle, just where I expect him to end up as he definitely isn't top tier shot stopper. But it doesn't seem to be doing much of a difference to us anyway in terms of results.

acnumber9

Does nothing on the first goal to make it even remotely difficult for Almiron to pick his spot.

acnumber9

First goal was definitely on Dalot .. what was he doing ...
Not sure why we still have him
It was but when a mistake happens I expect my keeper to make it more difficult for the attacker. He just stands in his six yard box.

Based Adnan

Will never understand why we brought a goalkeeper known for his ball playing only to ask him to constantly hoof it

Irwin99

Maybe being harsh but I thought he could have made more of an effort to save the first goal ( but FAR more blame goes to Dalot's 'defending' to be fair)

FriedClams

Will never understand why we brought a goalkeeper known for his ball playing only to ask him to constantly hoof it
I mean, isn’t that fairly obvious? I don’t rate his shot stopping, but put him in man city team I guarantee his passing from the back is as good as if not better than ederson

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Onana, while it was a good strike for the third, only starts to dive when the ball is in the net :lol:
I noticed that too.
Actually, this is one of the few moments where it would have been better had he simply not moved and accept he wasn't going to go any near that shot.
But nope. I think he made that attempt not to get criticized, which ironically is backfiring.

Also I think he could have done better to hinder Almiron's shooting angle.

I don't like placing more pressure into Onana and loved his attitude in the Copnehage match but I think this is the best he can do and unfortunately it is not enough.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Anyone who watched him at Ajax could see this disaster a mile away
Except ETH who also didn't see the disaster that is Antony. I mean, actually, the more I think about it, the more I think ETH is clueless. These two signings plus Mount for an already filled position total around 200m. Mental.

Captmfla

He's still a decent keeper. Top 50 in the world right now. Good in passing and good in body. block

Sylar

Some of his dives reminds me of when Henderson would do a joke dive when it was miles over, except Onana does it when its in the net.
I agree hes gotten better though for us. I really do want to see how he does when we have a defence like AWB, Varane, Martinez and Shaw and maybe a midfielder or two that shows for the ball. I think thats where we may see him for what we got him for (but until then, its kinda pointless that he seems to have been told to stay deep when we have the ball (guessing that might be due to the defence we have in front of him) and also him going long more so (but again, hopefully because of the options ahead of him)

Fulham 0:1 Man Utd

MrWilliams

Growing game by game. Made two good saves today and kept us in it.

His save style is unorthodox though. Saves with his body rather than hands.

Confidence is growing.

FerociousCorgis

Needs to work on his technique though cause dude is wristing shit back into danger areas. No idea why he doesn't use his hands not wrist like any top keeper would

Marcelinho87

Growing game by game. Made two good saves today and kept us in it.

His save style is unorthodox though. Saves with his body rather than hands.

Confidence is growing.
DDG was also unorthodox he used his legs over his hands a lot of the time.

at the end of the day, it it stays out then its job done.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
His saves give strong Cal the Dragon vibes.

Glad he got a clean sheet though.

Red00012

He’s improving and defence are helping him out and are alert most of the time because he could rebound the ball anywhere

lex talionis

Great performance today. Not that it matters a whole lot, but there is something odd about his save technique. It’s as though he watches Superman movies as training film.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It will probably be forgotten but there were a few saves from Onana today that saved us some serious embarrassment.