View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

flameinthesun

Was looking so much better recently and then goes and does that. The level of his errors is concerning. It’s never really a slight one. It’s like something you’d see someone do who has never played in goal in their life.
Even in his better appearances his saving technique was still all over the place. I just don't see how you can have a settled defence or team with a keeper like him at the back. I know he had a good run in the champs league with Inter but there is no way a keeper with his horrendous saving technique should be at United.

AndyMUFC

Awful tonight and in the Champions League in general but just hope he can eventually cut these mistakes out. Happening too often.

frostbite

I wrote it in the match forum. Everyone is going at out defence and Ten Haag etc but it was all Onanas fault. They had 3 proper shots on goal and he fkd them all up. Even the 3rd he should not get beat near post.

His mechanics of goalkeeping is all wrong. They way he positions, which hand he leads with, the strengths of his hands. Everything. I can't believe a pro goalkeeper or coach can't spot it a mile off
It's ETH's fault. The club gave a contract to De Gea, De Gea signed it, and ETH vetoed it because he wanted his boy Onana. ETH had worked with him in the past, it is not like he didn't know what he is getting. ETH is 100% responsible for any mistakes by Onana. Don't blame Onana, he is doing what he can, he was never a world class keeper.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like him as a character and his foot work is second to none, but those mistakes, tonight and against Bayern especially, are just indefensible. And I am still of the opinion that Dave 100% needed replacing. People can say that he'd have saved this or that shot, but our playing from the back would still be terrible. Love him, but he was done here.

Blood Mage

Almost flawless against Everton, hopeless tonight. We can't afford to have an inconsistent goalkeeper even if he is capable of being world class on his day.

mav_9me

Hard to continue with him.

He's gotta be a major reason for our goals conceded record.

And I was so happy to get him. We are cursed. fecking cursed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I like him as a character and his foot work is second to none, but those mistakes, tonight and against Bayern especially, are just indefensible. And I am still of the opinion that Dave 100% needed replacing. People can say that he'd have saved this or that shot, but our playing from the back would still be terrible. Love him, but he was done here.
Dave definitely needed replacing. He probably made the same amount of howlers in Europe last season anyway. Plus anyone who couldn’t see his general deficiencies must surely be completely clueless about the way the goalkeeper role has developed over the last several years.

Feck me, though, we haven’t half made a bollox of replacing him. Onana’s actually started to look decent in the league but this has to be one of the worst CL campaigns for any goalkeeper ever. Maybe that blonde, long haired Liverpool keeper?

His technique for their second goal was catastrophic. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pro keeper look less like a pro keeper (and more like an 8 year old fat lad stuck in nets because he’s so shit outfield)

PoTMS

Was looking so much better recently and then goes and does that. The level of his errors is concerning. It’s never really a slight one. It’s like something you’d see someone do who has never played in goal in their life.
Honestly, it's keeping you'd see in a YouTube charity match.

Bole Top

at one point we were actually debating whether DDG was better than Schmeichel or Edwin. Onana on the other hand is being compared to Taibi, Claudio Bravo and Stevie Wonder. that's all you need to know about this transfer.

3KDré

Dave definitely needed replacing. He probably made the same amount of howlers in Europe last season anyway. Plus anyone who couldn’t see his general deficiencies must surely be completely clueless about the way the goalkeeper role has developed over the last several years.

Feck me, though, we haven’t half made a bollox of replacing him. Onana’s actually started to look decent in the league but this has to be one of the worst CL campaigns for any goalkeeper ever. Maybe that blonde, long haired Liverpool keeper?

His technique for their second goal was catastrophic. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pro keeper look less like a pro keeper (and more like an 8 year old fat lad stuck in nets because he’s so shit outfield)
People did raise question marks about his shot stopping prior to this, but for it to be this bad is really alarming. Even though he has been decent in the league, he does have a habit of making easy saves look very dramatic. His footwork when saving shits is all wrong, the way he parries it is also wrong.

What baffles me even more is, how a pro footballer that has played for Ajax, Inter and now United can get to the age of 27 without a goalkeeper coach putting these BASICS into him?

I wonder what we do now. I still don't see Ten Hag dropping him. If he does he's basically going to have to sell him. If we sell him, who do we get?

Waynne

at one point we were actually debating whether DDG was better than Schmeichel or Edwin. Onana on the other hand is being compared to Taibi, Claudio Bravo and Stevie Wonder. that's all you need to know about this transfer.
:lol::lol:

erikcred

Surely there must come a point where he has to be dropped?
Sadly that may only happen after he gets ETH the sack.

We were so impressed with the way he took responsibility in the post match interviews after some poor games in preseason. Guess he's had a lot of practice at that.

Dve

Almost flawless against Everton, hopeless tonight. We can't afford to have an inconsistent goalkeeper even if he is capable of being world class on his day.
Flawless, except that he had close to 0% compliance on his long passes.

MoskvaRed

Time to cut our losses. He looks like he’s in a Dancing on Ice-style reality TV show where some random celebrity tries to learn the art of goalkeeping.

erikcred

His league performances have been fine though. Statistically the second best keeper in the league.

It’s mad how he completely falls apart in the CL. Time and time again. He should have been going into this game absolutely full of confidence too.

Statistically, he's been acceptable against some shit teams in the last few weeks.

Dansk

I want to know why it is that players routinely lose all semblance of form and ability when we sign them. Time and time again, anyone we buy starts performing much worse than they did before they arrived. It's legitimately a rare exception that one even maintains their previous level, and improving after coming here is practically unheard-of. Onana is just the last in a long line of players who turned to crap the moment they sign, and while part of it seems to stem from his somewhat awkward goalkeeping technique, it's not as if he was a walking calamity at Inter.

Stig

Even with the more basic saves he still fumbles the ball. He's trash.
There was a game recently where people said he did well; but I saw that he didn't stop a single shot on the ground cleanly and had two takes at every one of them.

fallengt

Damn just when I thought he got this then he's started shitting the bed again. Sigh..

UpWithRivers

This is the thing I dont understand. He is still a top goalkeeper. Its not like he's some fat builder playing non league football. He is capable of saving every now and again. But so are a hundred other keepers. If Henderson or any other Prem keeper was in net for us against Everton we would expect them to perform the exact same. It was basic goalkeeping. The difference between an average Prem keeper and a good one is that they get their basics right 98 percent of the time. And the difference between a good one and a really good/world class one is they do the basics 98 percent of the time and then they have a handful of world class saves that most other keepers cant. Onana cant even do the basics most of the time. Sure he will have a decent game every now and again but thats not enough

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah. To me it's just a sad situation. I don't think anyone expected him to be this shaky at the very basic things. Did anyone following Inter or Ajax have this to say about him? I doubt it. And the rumours were that the scouting department was all in on Costa at Porto - not that I can say he'd be the real deal (was actually clamouring for Verbruggen this summer).

SAFMUTD

It's something mental, there's no way he's playing relatively well in the EPL and shitting the bed every single time in UCL. It's something wrong with him, mistakes like that are clearly mental if you can't save those shots you won't even make it to semi pro football.

adamwest

Don’t keep talking because you’re making too much sense for this place.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He just simply has to get better. I'm willing to give him a bit of rope, as it's not like he's come into a very secure back line and different level of security at United, but I genuinely fear any shot coming in at the moment.

I have faith he'll get through it, but I think most fans patience is wearing thin with some of these mistakes.

Waynne

I want to know why it is that players routinely lose all semblance of form and ability when we sign them. Time and time again, anyone we buy starts performing much worse than they did before they arrived. It's legitimately a rare exception that one even maintains their previous level, and improving after coming here is practically unheard-of. Onana is just the last in a long line of players who turned to crap the moment they sign, and while part of it seems to stem from his somewhat awkward goalkeeping technique, it's not as if he was a walking calamity at Inter.
I can only think of one common denominator:

$$$$

ClassAct147

It's like this guy is playing with empty gloves.
Once a fumbler, always a fumbler.
He won't recover from this so time to get him out before we're tanked by Newcastle and Varpool.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I agree we needed at least an alternative to DDG. Great guy though. Onana is not a top level goalkeeper. Get rid.

RedDevilQuebecois

He just simply has to get better. I'm willing to give him a bit of rope, as it's not like he's come into a very secure back line and different level of security at United, but I genuinely fear any shot coming in at the moment.

I have faith he'll get through it, but I think most fans patience is wearing thin with some of these mistakes.
You must be quite a very patient person with him because I personally think he already hung himself with that rope. Those howlers are the kind of stuff that costs goalkeepers their jobs in a flash.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You must be quite a very patient person with him because I personally think he already hung himself with that rope. Those howlers are the kind of stuff that costs goalkeepers their jobs in a flash.
I think most keepers in my time supporting the club have had some horrendous periods. He has positives to his game too, it's not like other keepers where the only thing they had to do is be glued to the line and wait for the odd chance.

I think it's probably fair to say he's been our worst performer in the CL and cost us at least 4 goals, but I think the defence and midfield has been the catalyst for our shite performances.

Verward

I had said it multiple times before that Onana has mistake in him from time to time. Inter is not stupid to let him go so easily, they duped us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If there's any chance we can get rid in the summer we should cut our losses. Appalling.

Waynne

He's an ok ball playing defender masquerading as a goal keeper.

As long as you can keep the opposition team away from his 18 yard area he's semi ok.

Would have been a comfy win with a semi crocked De Gea