5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One excellent long ball to Dallot. But then, what was he expecting by lumping the balls so often to our weak, small, and young attackers up front?

E-mal

Goldbridge is on one here. Not wrong either.
Another example of our fans just being about vibes and jagons but loosing the whole essence of this discussion. Onana is not good enough, neither was DDG. If DDG was good enough, he'd have a club by now

jem

His distribution was good tonight. And has been in plenty of games this season. Goes without saying it will get a lot better in the unlikely event we ever a) play some defenders who are more comfortable on the ball than Maguire + 1 and b) play the same back four for more than one or two games in a row!
I don't know, I haven't seen a big difference between his distribution and De Gea's (granted I haven't watched every match, particularly in the Champion's League.) I'm very worried about him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No player is ever singularly responsible for a bad campaign, but Onana had a fair crack at it this group stage. Needs to be upgraded in summer, Liverpool and City binned off their shite keepers, we need to do the same.

Unam333

Goldbridge is on one here. Not wrong either.
You shouldn't listen to Goldbridge. Nobody should.

Unfortunately, Onana is out of his depth at United and that's okay. We try new things, sometimes it works out, sometimes it won't. If it's the latter the club should replace him asap. 50m take your loss, at least he still has value.
Staying at United will only further drop his value. Maybe we can do a swap plus cash for Diogo Costa. We need to do something because he's costing us points in the league and costing the club CL-money.

lex talionis

I'll never forget the dozens of insane posts on the De Gea performance thread in June when it became clear that we were going all in for Onana. Look it up for yourself if you want a good laugh...or a good cry.

40m million shoveled straight into the furnace.

Lee565

We had so many chances to get a better keeper than de gea in the past few years, we could have got pope for free two summers back, we could have signed a better tried and tested premier league keeper like martinez this summer or even pickford, sanchez or raya but nope we go for another one of ten hag ex players.

arthurka

I'll never forget the dozens of insane posts on the De Gea performance thread in June when it became clear that we were going all in for Onana. Look it up for yourself if you want a good laugh...or a good cry.

I didn't think he was all that but I thought he could kick a ball. But he has been absolutely shit.

RedDevilQuebecois

But how about we have some patience and give a player more than a few months before completely claiming we need to sell. That's just not sustainable! It's like people don't live in the real world in this forum!
Pep binned Claudio Bravo in favor of Willy Caballero by February of their first season at City. That is the real world.

After what Onana has done, it's not reaching too far if I say that a responsible manager will bin Onana for good right before the AFCON and afterwards.

Nas-JR

Pep binned Claudio Bravo in favor of Willy Caballero by February of their first season at City. That is the real world.

After what Onana has done, it's not reaching too far if I say that a responsible manager will bin Onana for good right before the AFCON and afterwards.
Pep had the luxury to do so cause he had an unlimited pot of money. That's why he binned about 3 LBs. We do not.

A separate point, but plenty of his signings needed a year at least to bed in. Look at grealish, rodri, alvarez etc. Obviously GK is much different and, again, our terrible squad management means no new signing has a luxury with us, but that in itself is causing a huge huge problem because we as fans don't afford them any breathing space. By the time they're in their second season we completely write them off and want them sold, which in turn gets their confidence completely shot. I don't know what the solution is (apart from the obvious, get your recruitment right, but again, even if you do then fail to integrate properly, then it doesn't matter). We as a football team are toxic from top to bottom and that includes us fans.

Castia

I said he would be shite. I’ve seen enough if his bloopers over the years to know he’s got a mistake in him but he’s even surprised me by how bad he is. I thought his saving grace would be his passing but he’s not even great at that.

Spent 400m in the last 12 months and we already need to look for replacements for most of those signings. The club is a fecking disgrace

FerociousCorgis

I get that the goal was Def not his fault in the sense that the team screwed him over, but holy hell come off the line man. The bayern guy took like 4 touches too wasn't like a one time shot. Did absolutely feck all to make the shot remotely difficult

el3mel

Everyone here is so toxic. It's a one on one from 5 yards out with no pressure on him. That is never on him! People just love to moan about everything! Apparently he offered nothing at all. Well i think his passing was decent today. He put through dalot with a great pass.

Havign said that, we are out of the Cl cause of him. But how about we have some patience and give a player more than a few months before completely claiming we need to sell. That's just not sustainable! It's like people don't live in the real world in this forum!
His flaws aren't going to improve with time. His reactions won't get any better when he gets older. Probably will get even worse.

Get rid and replace next season. Let's not waste time until his value in the market is completely lost.

El Zoido

We’ll stick with him for another two years at least.

Skills

Snitch
His flaws aren't going to improve with time. His reactions won't get any better when he gets older. Probably will get even worse.

Get rid and replace next season. Let's not waste time until his value in the market is completely lost.
£40m of his amortization left next summer...

Castia

But that would hurt the higher ups feelings. Their pride won’t let them see a massive investment thrown out after 6 months that would admit failure.

2 more years of mediocre shite followed by a 4 month bright spell that will see him rewarded with a further 5 year deal. We all know it’s coming.

The Irish Connection

Agreed. He was doing ok in the match tonight but not to make a move towards Coman in the 6 yard box was poor to say the least.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He never comes off his line to narrow angles for attackers. It gives them the entire goal to slot it into. Drives me fecking mad.

lex talionis

I didn't think he was all that but I thought he could kick a ball. But he has been absolutely shit.
I would have been ok with bringing in Onana as De Gea's cover, although not at the price of 40m, and ease him over a season or two as we ease De Gea out, but getting rid of De Gea for Onana will forever live in United lore as one of the most idiotic decisions in club history.

And if the bloodlust for getting rid of De Gea --- who was undoubtedly paid obscene wages, but whose fault was that? -- was irresistible, we could have brought in another keeper like Sanchez, who's not all that great but he's several steps above Onana, at considerably less cost in terms of transfer fee and was already PL proven quality.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But that would hurt the higher ups feelings. Their pride won’t let them see a massive investment thrown out after 6 months that would admit failure.

2 more years of mediocre shite followed by a 4 month bright spell that will see him rewarded with a further 5 year deal. We all know it’s coming.
Yeah. They extended contracts for Jones and Mata. And there were heresy they also offered extended contracts to Pogba and jlingz.
All this regime care is about assets.

Nas-JR

Except his reactions are generally fine. His save percentage is higher than most keepers in the prem. People are more pissed off cause of his errors, and understandably so. Those however are just as likely to be due to first season anxiety as much as anything else. I think it's something he will get better at because historically, he hasnt made this many errors!

Look I get it, it's so easy to look at it and assume he will not get better, but there is a few things to consider here. The first is, we absolutely have not been set up to maximise his strengths. That is as much to do with personnel as anything else and hopefully, in time, as the squad is turned over, that comes to the fore. You have to look at the bigger picture and not just the last three months. Where is our playing style heading towards in the next 2-3 years? The younger purchases like Martinez, Mount, and Onana, hojlund plus players like Mainoo and garnacho coming into the team means that we want to be better technically and be able to pass more . The limitations of most of the other players in possession and intensity means our performances are wildly inconsistent. Simply put, the individuals in the squad don't have complimentary attributes to execute a style of play that is consistently good. So we must commit to building a squad that can execute a style of play, otherwise the next manager comes in and wants a change of style, so no longer sees value in playing martinez, onana and mount. This is not sustainable. We have to commit to this and see it through, regardless of how painful it'll be. I've seen enough decent passing to think, with a little more confidence and more complimentary players around him, he will come good.

The second point is, as far as I can tell all goal keepers are making huge errors. Look at the arsenal keepers, they have been terrible. Alisson has made several mistakes, as has Edersen and the new spurs keeper. But the big difference is their forwards have scored double what we have so there's even more pressure on our backline to not concede. The grass is not always greener.

If there is a golden opportunity to bring a keeper on the cheap to compete and replace Onana, then sure, let's go for it. but the reality is. if we deem him surplus to requirements then we will not be able to recoup what we paid, meaning we won't have much money to buy a new gk especially given our ffp troubles. Whether you like it or not. He is here to stay so rather than putting him down, it's better to put up with these teething problems, get behind him, and believe in the longer term planning of the squad.

VP

I'm so baffled by this signing - how could so many people not see the fundamental flaws in his goalkeeping technique?

I mean take a look at his best saves last seasons - they're all so underwhelming:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Good keeper but should be binned this summer. Never wanted him and will never rate him higher than his current level.

Confidence and ability get convoluted to be the same thing. He is displayed a level of confidence to be the United number 1 but his ability is not.

He might be going through the same phase VDS had that led to his transfer to Fulham from Juve but their natural ability is not comparable.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I dont think he had any chance with that goal but why is that every goal he concede is being questioned and majority of the times that question makes sense too ? Something is seriously wrong with his positioning.

Ted Lasso

Would rather have paid De Gea that for a couple more seasons.

ScholesyTheWise

I'm always a bit more patient in a player's first season. You'd think that the Players' Performance Threads of Vidic or Evra would have looked exactly the same as Onana's. There's always a chance for a player to turn it around, I guess.

But yeah, this looks really, really bad.
Looks like another one of ETH's signings where the area on the pitch that needed improving upon was correctly identified,
but the player that was signed as an upgrade turns out to be a failure.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not at fault for the goal but he may aswell of given Coman a cookie while he strolled it in. Genuinely laughed out loud. He's rubbish lads sorry.

prateik

Another example of our fans just being about vibes and jagons but loosing the whole essence of this discussion. Onana is not good enough, neither was DDG. If DDG was good enough, he'd have a club by now
De Gea was much much better than Onana.. he wasnt the best in the world, but its not even a fecking contest..

This guy is a massive downgrade.

ti vu

I'm always a bit more patient in a player's first season. You'd think that the Players' Performance Threads of Vidic or Evra would have looked exactly the same as Onana's. There's always a chance for a player to turn it around, I guess.

But yeah, this looks really, really bad.
Looks like another one of ETH's signings where the area on the pitch that needed improving upon was correctly identified,
but the player that was signed as an upgrade turns out to be a failure.
Evra and Vidic signings were punts signings. Also unlike outfield players, GK gets very different treatment. SAF didn't mess around giving time with all the GK signings that come to replace Schmeichel.

We're in the pinch, if Onana can't cut out his mistake and improve his general shot stopping. His transfer fee for a GK is big, making it difficult to move him on. Buying another lhigh profile GK likely eats further into the budget when we have plenty other priorities to focus on.

Oranges038

Laughable. De Gea can suddenly do no wrong :lol:
People fearing a battering against Liverpool at the weekend because of the keeper and simultaneously pining for a guy who conceded 7 there on his last outing.

De Gea was much much better than Onana.. he wasnt the best in the world, but its not even a fecking contest..

This guy is a massive downgrade.
Not really. Utd fans have DDG and the idea of being Man Utd goalkeeper on some sort of weird pedestal. Onana hasn't covered himself in glory, specifically in the CL. But he's not really been the massive downgrade many seem to think. Why? Well because the previous guy, wasn't actually that good anyway. Onana just doesn't make those once in a while big youtube highlight reel camera saves whilst still being shite at everything else to keep up the illusion of being a top keeper.

https://fbref.com/tiny/TIpu8

Wing Attack Plan R

I think he's going to go like Tim Howard. Some good saves, a lot of blunders, ultimately too much of a liability. UNLESS magically somehow we start playing the style which we bought him to help facilitate. But that would mean a number of other pieces would need to fall into place, like Licha being able to play, fullbacks who don't lose the fecking plot, and someone who can hold up the ball and someone else who can fecking pass it. He's not the only problem this team has, but he is a very specific puzzle piece and ten Hag is no longer trying to build that puzzle.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Remember when the essay writers told the forum that a ball playing keeper will help the team score goals? Yeah, that's not exactly how things work.

Remember the geese

People fearing a battering against Liverpool at the weekend because of the keeper and simultaneously pining for a guy who conceded 7 there on his last outing.
When you put it like this. You really couldn't make it up. Reminds me of those who are happy we are out of Europe, so we can focus on the league. Frightening.