Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
it's incredible how many fans actually bellieved that.

except for those trully stacked all-star teams, clubs on average score about 2 goals per game during the season. Inter, with Onana there, scored 71 goal in previous season. Liverpool scored 75 and they have Allison. Barca scored 70. most attacks don't result in goals and those who do in vast majority of cases have nothing to do with how good your goalkeeper handles the ball.

this season, Inter is toying with everyone in Italy and already scored 37 goals. caf's conclusion? let's buy Sommer then, their new keeper :lol:

it's always better for your keeper to be good with the ball, but even in a perfect scenario it's just a nice bonus, the same way a good corner kick taker is. we have clueless coach, inexperienced kid in attack and shit, lazy wingers. the idea that goalkeeper is changing our attacking potential with those same players on the pitch is beyond crazy.
Just as well literally nobody claimed that.

So much tilting at windmills in this thread…

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Not true. Look where he met the attacker when Bournemouth had their fourth disallowed. Or when he blocked a shot from Jackson against Chelsea. He did a similar one v one save against Everton too. He’s well capable of coming off his line to meet an incoming attacker and has done it plenty of times.
It's consistency and the fact that he seems to lack competence in this area.

He wasn't likely to save Coman's shot but he his positioning was atrocious and he stays absolutely rooted.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Here's all of the goals he's conceded, some he naturally can do nothing about but I think some are saveable outside of the howlers.

Marty1968

Here's all of the goals he's conceded, some he naturally can do nothing about but I think some are saveable outside of the howlers.
There are probably 8-10 of these that he should have done much better with! For a 'sweeper keeper' he's glued to his line for a couple of them! Really shocking!

jem

Really? Is distribution is clearly levels above De Gea, he’s comfortable on either foot and his passing is crisp. That’s not even mentioning the fantastic diagonal balls he’s been capable of (which I don’t think De Gea ever did once here!). Of all the things to critique his ball playing is clearly not one, he’s doing turns on the halfway line around opposition players ffs.
It's obviously not all on him, but I don't see a huge difference in our playing out from the back - it still seems like a lot of aimless long hoofs. Halfway line turns are great and all that....

Kostov

"If you put a keeper who is competent on the ball and a midfielder who can control and pass a ball properly, it would totally transform this teams abiltiy to transition the ball out of defence."

Transitioning the ball out of defence and into midfield in the build up phase, is what I was talking about. Nowhere have I mentioned the attack or anything about the attack or transitions in attack.

How is it even close to being the same thing?

As for the bolded, check the stats and performance metrics. He really hasn't been significantly worse at all. How many times has DDG got the team knocked out of Europe of cup competitions with stupid mistakes?

This is just like last season when people were adamant that DDG was still the best GK in the world, when every performance metric had him as being a below average PL keeper for a number of years. It doesn't add up.
Oh yes, you were talking about that transformations?!? Okey Mr Strawman. Wasn't building up from the back half of the attacking game in modern football? Pretty sure you banged that drum somewhere too.

And you can keep your stats. Onana has been a total disaster, and nowhere in his decade long stay at the club DDG cost the club in such short amount of games such a heavy price like Onana did. Tell me one time in which DDG's mistake was the single culprit of us being out of Europe? Sevila last season when we were appalling and 2 goals down? Barcelona couple of years ago when we had 30% possession of the ball and could not score a single goal in 2 matches against them?

EDIT: I wrote this yesterday, and forgot to post.

Ok update, watch Onana closely in this clip.
Jesus fecking Christ, wtf is that? Give it a week and the "he has been fine outside the howlers" brigade will tell you this never happened.

Nas-JR

Nobody is saying it's on him... However he basically gave himself a zero percent chance to save that shot, and that quite frankly is not good goalkeeping, whatever way you slice it.
Yeah but surely that's just being pedantic for thesake of it. He was caught on his heels a little, sure, but it would have increased the chances of a save by maybe 2-3%. The main problem was the non-tackles by about 5 players before kane played that pass. Onanas part is a miscalculation at worst.

Nas-JR

They are far from fine. Watch videos for the goals he shipped this season and you realize they aren't. Even the balls he saved, his technique in stopping them was pretty awful and let the ball fall in more dangerous areas.
They are fine because the stats indicate he saves better than most keepers. Fine does not mean stellar and I understand that his reactions are nowhere near prime de gea.

I still think we are a massive work in progress because he should not be facing as many shots as he faces (which is way too high!) and we don't utilise what he's good at cause we don't have the players. I'd like to see where we are with him in a year's time before passing full judgement.

Obviously if we can get actual competition on the cheap then why not. But spending another 50/60 mil on a keeper while losing all value in onana will no longer fly with our finances.

el3mel

They are fine because the stats indicate he saves better than most keepers. Fine does not mean stellar and I understand that his reactions are nowhere near prime de gea.

I still think we are a massive work in progress because he should not be facing as many shots as he faces (which is way too high!) and we don't utilise what he's good at cause we don't have the players. I'd like to see where we are with him in a year's time before passing full judgement.

Obviously if we can get actual competition on the cheap then why not. But spending another 50/60 mil on a keeper while losing all value in onana will no longer fly with our finances.
Watch the games instead of depending on stats.

FerociousCorgis

haha i knew it wouldnt be pretty on the goal but man he doesnt look great there. Even though that will be a goal about 75 percent of the time at least, he makes it a 99 percent chance with his staying rooted as he does his weird shuffle thing. No idea why he is so scared to come out 1v1 in these situations when he is so comfortable coming out in other situations.

Oranges038

Oh yes, you were talking about that transformations?!? Okey Mr Strawman. Wasn't building up from the back half of the attacking game in modern football? Pretty sure you banged that drum somewhere too.

And you can keep your stats. Onana has been a total disaster, and nowhere in his decade long stay at the club DDG cost the club in such short amount of games such a heavy price like Onana did. Tell me one time in which DDG's mistake was the single culprit of us being out of Europe? Sevila last season when we were appalling and 2 goals down? Barcelona couple of years ago when we had 30% possession of the ball and could not score a single goal in 2 matches against them?

EDIT: I wrote this yesterday, and forgot to post.

Jesus fecking Christ, wtf is that? Give it a week and the "he has been fine outside the howlers" brigade will tell you this never happened.
I was talking about the build up phase, the link from gk, defenders and midfield. Last season we saw a gk who couldn't do it, but at least 2 defenders and one midfielder that were capable.
So far this season, a gk who can but no defenders who can a no midfielder to link the play. It's not difficult to see why it's not working.

I have said that if you want to build a possession based team, the keeper needs to be part of it. If you want to build sustained periods of pressure higher up the pitch in the opposition half, play higher, press higher and recycle the ball. Then you need a keeper who is suited to that. Ideally if you play this way you create more pressure and have more of the ball, you will create more chances by virtue of playing the game more and more in the opposition half. There are a lot of the pieces from that puzzle still missing from this Utd squad.

I will keep my stats, because they paint the full picture. You can go on and keep pretending that the still unemployed DDG is the best keeper in the world. And yes like Onana and Bosnich, he did cost Utd in Europe and big games, there's just no denying it.

FerociousCorgis

slow-mo makes it look worse, he has 1-2 seconds to react? Sane is scoring this against any goalkeeper
i mean literally any u 14 level goalie prob knows to come out and cut down the angle in this situation. Instead he just sits there and shuffles his feet repeatedly while giving up half the goal at least by being so out of position. Just another example of his shit technique, which is noticeable damn near every game. It is the little things that make a difference. Not every mistake will be some massive blunder where a slow roller goes right thru a keepers hands. Fact remains that he did absolute nothing right in this situation and the shooter took several touches that gave Onana plenty of time to come out and at least make the player feel a minimal amount of some sort of pressure (you know like any "top level" goalkeeper should)

red_de_pologne

i mean literally any u 14 level goalie prob knows to come out and cut down the angle in this situation. Instead he just sits there and shuffles his feet repeatedly while giving up half the goal at least by being so out of position. Just another example of his shit technique, which is noticeable damn near every game. It is the little things that make a difference. Not every mistake will be some massive blunder where a slow roller goes right thru a keepers hands. Fact remains that he did absolute nothing right in this situation and the shooter took several touches that gave Onana plenty of time to come out and at least make the player feel a minimal amount of some sort of pressure (you know like any "top level" goalkeeper should)

I don’t agree, it’s a split second and he is dummied to go left. No keeper in the world can help in this situation

vanrooney

I don’t agree, it’s a split second and he is dummied to go left. No keeper in the world can help in this situation
he speculated with a shot to his left and thats why he reacts. if coman takes a shot first time he could have saved it by doing so. people on here are all experts and really think they know more about goalkeeping as a gk who playes for one of the top clubs in the world and in a cl final. weird

Oranges038

But they think Dave would have saved it, that's really what it's all about.

It's a 1v1, 8 yards out, he got sold a little dummy fell for it. A keeper is not saving that 95 times out of 100, the other 5 he gets lucky and it's blasted right at him.

FerociousCorgis

he speculated with a shot to his left and thats why he reacts. if coman takes a shot first time he could have saved it by doing so. people on here are all experts and really think they know more about goalkeeping as a gk who playes for one of the top clubs in the world and in a cl final. weird

both of you are just plain wrong. The minute that pass is coming thru, any top keeper should be coming off the line to cut down the angle. You can see Onana hashing away with his feet going absolutely nowhere. Even if you think he "is dummied" or he is "speculating", that should be happening as he is moving forward to cut down the angle. That is literally goalkeeping basics that any coach would be teaching someone, le alone a supposed top gk.

Edit: and just a quick edit, i fecking hate the bullshit with oh we know nothing and how dare us question the true "experts". Just because we dont have some pro league coaching badges doesnt mean those of us who have been watching the games all our lives, or maybe have coached at lower levels dont know a thing or two. If that is the case then what the hell is the point of the CAF we might as well all just sit quietly at home because we know nothing and cant talk about the game since we arent "experts"

FerociousCorgis

It's a 1v1, 8 yards out, he got sold a little dummy fell for it. A keeper is not saving that 95 times out of 100, the other 5 he gets lucky and it's blasted right at him.
it is only a 95 percent goal when you stay rooted to your line. If he comes out the second he sees the pass slipped in, he has a good chance of "getting lucky and having the shot blasted right at him". Pretty basic math with angles. By staying back on his line he gives himself no chance.

The David stuff is irrelevant. I dont care about past goalies in this situation. I merely care about did Onana give himself the best chance of affecting the shooter. Clearly it is a no.

And i have also stated multiple times that this is prob more than likely going to end up in a goal regardless. just incredibly poor technique from him yet again.

Haha one last edit- The ball goes from outside the 18 yard box to being shot from about a step or two away from his 6 yard box in a 4 second time period, and Onana has moved forward perhaps half a tiny step in that entire time. The exact opposite of what a GK should do to cut down the angle on a player bearing down on them free.

Heinzesight

Last night it’s another one where yeah, he’s unlikely to save it, but you can question what he was doing, he has to at least rush out. He didn’t make it difficult for the goalscorer. Just doesn’t look the part for me.

Ludens the Red

Yeah that was some very weird goalkeeping. Not sure why people are defending him. It was obviously poor and non reactive. You come out and make yourself bigger in that situation. You’re clearly not going to save it staying routed to the spot whereas if you’d closed down you’d increase the chances of a close save or cause Coman to hesitate.
I mean how often do you see goals like that? With that kind of positioning with the keeper and forward. Rarely and with good reason.

FerociousCorgis

Last night it’s another one where yeah, he’s unlikely to save it, but you can question what he was doing, he has to at least rush out. He didn’t make it difficult for the goalscorer. Just doesn’t look the part for me.
that is exactly my point. Im not saying damn it Onana that was an easy save how dare you mess that up. Just another one where you think why would a top GK in the world do that?

FerociousCorgis

Yeah that was some very weird goalkeeping. Not sure why people are defending him. It was obviously poor and non reactive. You come out and make yourself bigger in that situation. You’re clearly not going to save it staying routed to the spot whereas if you’d closed down you’d increase the chances of a close save or cause Coman to hesitate.
I mean how often do you see goals like that? With that kind of positioning with the keeper and forward. Rarely and with good reason.
shit i feel like weve seen multiple times our players take that extra touch, that coman did in fact, and then the goalkeeper is right in their face and puts them off. Wasnt garnacho thru in a couple games ago and had that exact situation?

Last edited:

massey

He could have Messi like skills and scholes passing ability on the ball stuff we haven't really seen or improved us this season but as an actual goalkeeper he's shite and we made a mistake.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

He falls for every dummy ffs.

No one thinks DDG is saving it. It's solely Onana keeps falling over.

RedDevil@84

Because he is rooted to his line. Which was the complaint people here had against DDG. Apparently "modern keepers" shoot out like a bullet and neutralize the threat.

Oranges038

it is only a 95 percent goal when you stay rooted to your line. If he comes out the second he sees the pass slipped in, he has a good chance of "getting lucky and having the shot blasted right at him". Pretty basic math with angles. By staying back on his line he gives himself no chance.

The David stuff is irrelevant. I dont care about past goalies in this situation. I merely care about did Onana give himself the best chance of affecting the shooter. Clearly it is a no.

And i have also stated multiple times that this is prob more than likely going to end up in a goal regardless. just incredibly poor technique from him yet again.

Haha one last edit- The ball goes from outside the 18 yard box to being shot from about a step or two away from his 6 yard box in a 4 second time period, and Onana has moved forward perhaps half a tiny step in that entire time. The exact opposite of what a GK should do to cut down the angle on a player bearing down on them free.
It was goal scored from a nice pass and after some fairly pathetic defending and another brain dead defender keeping him onside.

I'd focus more on that than the keeper not stopping a free shot from 8 yards.

FerociousCorgis

It was goal scored from a nice pass and after some fairly pathetic defending and another brain dead defender keeping him onside.

I'd focus more on that than the keeper not stopping a free shot from 8 yards.
i'd focus more on the fact that we are in the Onana performance thread, which has resulted in......focusing on Onana here. Shocking i know.

Kostov

Nobody says Dave would save it, but it’s damn sure you would be the first to criticise him if he did something like this for instance.

IWat

We've bought a fire engine that can't hold any water, it's OK though because it has got really good flashing lights. He makes Roy Carroll in comparison look like prime Yashin. Bloody unreal.

Wrecking ralf

Is there anyone that watched him regularly at Inter that can shed some light on why he doesn’t seem like the keeper he was there. Is it the type of attackers being different to what he was facing in Italy, different defence and team setup, or is he just being found out by being in a better league. I remember the praise Pep was giving him after he played City. He can’t just actually be shite and he’s not been tested enough for that to be shown.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Don't know why, in this game, people are complaining about Onana ?

The goal was a succession of horrible individual mistakes, positional and potentially tiredness, but what Onana should have done here ?

Coman is 6 meters from him when he has the ball, Onana was already on on side, and he tried to close one side before Coman's feint.

He didn't had the time to close the space (I saw some videos of Alisson doing it against Newcastle but he had the time to analyse the pass to Almiron and close the space).

Onana had nothing to do but a miracle here so I think that his mistakes against Bayern and Galata will stick for a long time

Mike Smalling

He doesn't look good in that situation, but it doesn't change that it's a 99% chance, when Coman gets in behind. Onana has cost us progression almost single-handedly, but clearly not by letting in that goal.

Matt Varnish

Is there anyone that watched him regularly at Inter that can shed some light on why he doesn’t seem like the keeper he was there. Is it the type of attackers being different to what he was facing in Italy, different defence and team setup, or is he just being found out by being in a better league. I remember the praise Pep was giving him after he played City. He can’t just actually be shite and he’s not been tested enough for that to be shown.
I did some digging around when it was first mentioned that we were buying him, mainly because I had not heard that much about him.
I think at Inter and to some extent Ajax he had a better defence around him, which saved his blushes a few times.
I found a video which includes clips from his Ajax and Inter days, and when you watch it, you realise he is making the same mistakes years later, they have been coached out of him, his howlers are not a recent thing by any means.
I can't find the original video I saw of him, but this one seems to be an updated version of it.
It makes you wonder why we would even consider buying him.
My first impression of him was that he would cost us goals and games.