View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Danny

Would have thought it was one of the more self explanatory stats. It's the number of times a keeper catches a high ball inside his box. That was one of DDG's more annoying weaknesses, so it's great to see such solid evidence of Onana already being a big upgrade here.
Define a "high ball". Does a keeper have to jump and catch or do they have to just stretch their arms up and catch it? Not that it matters much but it would be a different skill for say Nick Pope than a Barthez height keeper.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Define a "high ball". Does a keeper have to jump and catch or do they have to just stretch their arms up and catch it? Not that it matters much but it would be a different skill for say Nick Pope than a Barthez height keeper.
Exactly. It doesn't matter. Same way it doesn't matter if one goal-scorer is able to kick the ball harder than another because he has stronger legs. All that matters is how often they kick the ball into the net.

criticalanalysis

Haven't many of these been shots along the ground, where he just doesn't get down quick enough? I think it's more a question of agility than strong hands.
That could certainly be a part of it. Not getting down fast enough so he isn't set while attempting to save and doesn't get good contact on the ball.
Pretty much. I think he's shown good wrist strength to push/deflect strong shots away and even yesterday caught a lot of power shots first time (i.e didn't drop it or bounce etc). It's just that his feet movement and general approach when it comes to things along the ground is inconsistent. He will jump from the same spot rather than taking small stutter steps left or right. It's hard to criticise him too much because he was really good with the high balls and with that 1 vs 1 against Foden in the first half but that 2nd goal hurt us.

Don't get me wrong though, I still rate his overall qualities and slowly he's showing us why we needed to move on from De Gea; the majority blame is still on ETH for me for both the individual performances of the players and the team of course.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Excellent performance yesterday and was unlucky with the second goal, can't save them all. Maybe could have kicked out a leg but absolutely nowt yesterday was on him. Very pleased with that.

lex talionis

The second goal required a super human save. Didn't the third goal (Haaland) begin with a misguided pass out of the back by Onana? At that point in the game you don't even think about playing out of the back against this opponent.

lex talionis

No, that's on Amrabat.
Amrabat has blood on his boots, no doubt, but Onana should never have played that ball to Amrabat with a City player breathing fine his socks. Shades of the De Gea ball to Eriksen.

That said, Onana was outstanding overall and was the clear MOTM.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Amrabat has blood on his boots, no doubt, but Onana should never have played that ball to Amrabat with a City player breathing fine his socks. Shades of the De Gea ball to Eriksen.

That said, Onana was outstanding overall and was the clear MOTM.
It was Casemiro that passed it to Amrabat. And it was an awful pass by Casemiro as well. Edge of your box and he does some weird loopy chipped pass.

Pickle85

It was Casemiro that passed it to Amrabat. And it was an awful pass by Casemiro as well. Edge of your box and he does some weird loopy chipped pass.
Yeah that was terrible from casemiro. Should never have put amrabat in that position. Horrendous from amrabat too mind.

lex talionis

Then I’m wrong. My apologies. In my mind’s eye I recall a pass by Onana that immediately put a United player under duress deep in our own third but I may have been so traumatized by us having gone behind that I’m remembering it all wrong. Sorry.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Then I’m wrong. My apologies. In my mind’s eye I recall a pass by Onana that immediately put a United player under duress deep in our own third but I may have been so traumatized by us having gone behind that I’m remembering it all wrong. Sorry.
Yeah that was terrible from casemiro. Should never have put amrabat in that position. Horrendous from amrabat too mind.
His touch was all over the place, and you'd expect better, but the fault for the 3rd goal lies mainly with Casemiro. We have a horrible habit of playing shit passes when playing out of the back. I remember Varane doing it to Maguire(? I think) in one of the CL games which meant Casemiro got a red card trying to make a last ditch tackle and gave away a penalty. We need to be better at playing out from the back, and if we can't then just hoof it. Especially in the 90th min when we're a goal down to City!

evil_geko

Quite a few called Onana a shite goalkeeper and wrote him off after a few months. Those people are going to micro analyse anything Onana does for when he doesnt do something perfect and blame Onana. That is easier than to just admit they were wrong about Onana and that they shouldnt have written off a new goalkeeper after only a few months of Premier League football with a injured and terrible defense in front of that keeper.
This post is nail on the head.

Pickle85

This post is nail on the head.
Quite a few called Onana a shite goalkeeper and wrote him off after a few months. Those people are going to micro analyse anything Onana does for when he doesnt do something perfect and blame Onana. That is easier than to just admit they were wrong about Onana and that they shouldnt have written off a new goalkeeper after only a few months of Premier League football with a injured and terrible defense in front of that keeper.
As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I was one of those that had him down as a flop but I'm delighted to see him perform so well the last month or two. That said, the jury remains out to a large extent...really promising signs but this is only the start of his journey towards proving he's a consistently capable number one for us.

evil_geko

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I was one of those that had him down as a flop but I'm delighted to see him perform so well the last month or two. That said, the jury remains out to a large extent...really promising signs but this is only the start of his journey towards proving he's a consistently capable number one for us.
Thing is, why doesn't this approach work both ways for some people? If jury is still out even when he is finally having good performances, why wasn't this the case at the start? When he was playing bad, why weren't people going "he came into the hard new league, getting used to it, he had injury ridden, dysfunctional defense in front of him, he just had a great season for Inter, let's wait some time and see how he does". So yeah, now that he is playing good, I am not going to go "I told you so" because like you said, jury should still be out. But it should work both ways.

Vidooq

His touch was all over the place, and you'd expect better, but the fault for the 3rd goal lies mainly with Casemiro. We have a horrible habit of playing shit passes when playing out of the back. I remember Varane doing it to Maguire(? I think) in one of the CL games which meant Casemiro got a red card trying to make a last ditch tackle and gave away a penalty. We need to be better at playing out from the back, and if we can't then just hoof it. Especially in the 90th min when we're a goal down to City!
Casemiro was at fault for 2 goals. It was he who let Foden pass him for the second goal on the one-two pass. He simply did not follow his runner from the middle. It baffles me that so many people got on Onana's back for the goal, but nobody even mentioned this.

On the third goal, I honestly don't know why he chipped the ball, making it 10 times harder to control. He has a clear pass on the ground. It was a baffling decision, maybe tiredness played its part.

Shinjch

The last number of games he has been good. Though the narrative has already been set for him I'm afraid.

mu4c_20le

Peter Schmeichel was one of his biggest critics... just sayin

Robbie Boy

He's definitely improved lately. Hopefully with a settled defence in front of him next season, he can improve further. I still think he has a very odd technique when it comes to saving the ball.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Casemiro was at fault for 2 goals. It was he who let Foden pass him for the second goal on the one-two pass. He simply did not follow his runner from the middle. It baffles me that so many people got on Onana's back for the goal, but nobody even mentioned this.

On the third goal, I honestly don't know why he chipped the ball, making it 10 times harder to control. He has a clear pass on the ground. It was a baffling decision, maybe tiredness played its part.
Yea, our off the ball tracking was abysmal...was it Casemiro? I thought it was Varane who failed to track the run...but I might be wrong. I missed the game so only went by the highlights.

mu4c_20le

Peter Schmeichel is a Utd legend, but he's also a massive idiot and always has been. His opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Oh come on, he just tells it like it is. Straight shooter, may not always be 100% accurate but I like that he speaks his mind

Vidooq

Peter Schmeichel was one of his biggest critics... just sayin
True, but I don't think it was anything malicious. He did a good technical analysis of his CL performances of the way he dived into a few of the clangers he conceded, and I agree with Peter that his technique did seem wrong. He was jumping up to go down for a shoot. It just did not seem natural, as by the time he went down, he was already too late to address the shot properly.

Matt Varnish

1st goal unstoppable by anyone
2nd goal, goes down late, the ball literally goes over his hand, watch it from behind the goal
3rd goal, if he goes out to meet Haaland it goes wide.

Yeah other players are culpable.
But we see keepers stop those shots week in week out for other teams.

Oranges038

2nd goal, goes down late, the ball literally goes over his hand, watch it from behind the goal

We also see lots of other keepers let them in as well. You could apply the same logic to the Foden 1v1 or the Rodri shot he saved in bottom corner, on another day those 2 might go in and the two goals are the ones that he saves.

This bollocks of finding a way to say he should have saved almost every goal has to stop.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Other keepers would've let some of the other shots in that he saved.

He should've done better for the 2nd goal but along with the 2 CBs he was our best player. That's how shit we were.

Mmm-Qatarian

Look, come on. This is getting absolutely ridiculous now. How in Christ's name can you blame him for not coming out on the third goal when Haaland literally takes it first time? If anything, Onana actually closes off the angle pretty well - Haaland had to place it right in the corner to score which, because he's fecking Haaland, he executed perfectly.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Look, come on. This is getting absolutely ridiculous now. How in Christ's name can you blame him for not coming out on the third goal when Haaland literally takes it first time? If anything, Onana actually closes off the angle pretty well - Haaland had to place it right in the corner to score which, because he's fecking Haaland, he executed perfectly.
First time dealing with Mr Varnish? :lol:

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

Andre Onana tested team-mates’ patience – now he is showing why Man United wanted him
  • Galatasaray was the low point. It truly was a ‘Welcome to Hell’ moment for Andre Onana as he stood alone on the turf in Istanbul, his team-mates already in the dressing room. Two Hakim Ziyech free kicks had caught him off guard and resulted in goals.
  • After the final whistle, Onana threw his gloves to the floor and covered his face with his hands. He tried to pull his shirt over his head as if he wanted to hide from the world. Then he stood alone. Onana’s team-mates didn’t offer support, they were too annoyed. The draw in Turkey effectively knocked United out of the Champions League group stage. Their goalkeeper’s apparent inability to protect his goal — he also made mistakes in the opening group game at Bayern Munich — had cost them.
  • For Onana, the European campaign was a huge disappointment, particularly when you consider he had excelled in the Champions League last season, reaching the final with Inter Milan and earning praise from Pep Guardiola, whose Manchester City side beat them to lift the trophy.
  • Five months later and back playing in the same city, Onana had become a figure of derision and a source of memes online.
  • Even though a stern-faced Erik ten Hag refused to blame him for errors, his team-mates doubted him, no matter what they said publicly. In one training session, a young player who had barely played a first-team game said, “Are you going to save one or what?” after he felt United’s new goalkeeper wasn’t stopping enough shots.
  • Onana was down and told people close to him: “I don’t know what is happening to me with these mistakes. I always have confidence in myself but now I’m losing it.” Those who know him best said he moved his body differently during games. The goalkeeper they saw wasn’t the goalkeeper they knew.

Read the whole article here
https://archive.ph/QwKrI

El Zoido

Andre Onana tested team-mates’ patience – now he is showing why Man United wanted him
  • Galatasaray was the low point. It truly was a ‘Welcome to Hell’ moment for Andre Onana as he stood alone on the turf in Istanbul, his team-mates already in the dressing room. Two Hakim Ziyech free kicks had caught him off guard and resulted in goals.
  • After the final whistle, Onana threw his gloves to the floor and covered his face with his hands. He tried to pull his shirt over his head as if he wanted to hide from the world. Then he stood alone. Onana’s team-mates didn’t offer support, they were too annoyed. The draw in Turkey effectively knocked United out of the Champions League group stage. Their goalkeeper’s apparent inability to protect his goal — he also made mistakes in the opening group game at Bayern Munich — had cost them.
  • For Onana, the European campaign was a huge disappointment, particularly when you consider he had excelled in the Champions League last season, reaching the final with Inter Milan and earning praise from Pep Guardiola, whose Manchester City side beat them to lift the trophy.
  • Five months later and back playing in the same city, Onana had become a figure of derision and a source of memes online.
  • Even though a stern-faced Erik ten Hag refused to blame him for errors, his team-mates doubted him, no matter what they said publicly. In one training session, a young player who had barely played a first-team game said, “Are you going to save one or what?” after he felt United’s new goalkeeper wasn’t stopping enough shots.
  • Onana was down and told people close to him: “I don’t know what is happening to me with these mistakes. I always have confidence in myself but now I’m losing it.” Those who know him best said he moved his body differently during games. The goalkeeper they saw wasn’t the goalkeeper they knew.

This was interesting, thanks for posting. I don’t think he’ll be a priority to replace so we’d better get behind him and hope he keeps the form up. He’s been very good in 2024. Goalkeepers need to be consistent, they can’t afford to be putting in a 4/10 performance every 6 games.

Also though, his job is harder if he’s facing 20 shots every game. Every shot on his goal is a chance for a mistake, and this applies to every goalkeeper. Ederson would make more mistakes if he was being called in to action 20 times a game, so I’d like to see how Onana is regarded as a gk once he has a tight defence in front of him. The INEOS rebuild will prioritise the rest of the squad first, changing the goalkeeper first is like putting a bucket under a leaky roof. Do we want a bigger bucket or do we want to fix the leak.

Cantonalegod

This was interesting, thanks for posting. I don’t think he’ll be a priority to replace so we’d better get behind him and hope he keeps the form up. He’s been very good in 2024. Goalkeepers need to be consistent, they can’t afford to be putting in a 4/10 performance every 6 games.

Also though, his job is harder if he’s facing 20 shots every game. Every shot on his goal is a chance for a mistake, and this applies to every goalkeeper. Ederson would make more mistakes if he was being called in to action 20 times a game, so I’d like to see how Onana is regarded as a gk once he has a tight defence in front of him. The INEOS rebuild will prioritise the rest of the squad first, changing the goalkeeper first is like putting a bucket under a leaky roof. Do we want a bigger bucket or do we want to fix the leak.
On average only 4.89 of those are on target per game though, so not really that many opportunities to feck up.

Apart from our poor defending, teams are probably taking more shots based on his inability to save them earlier in the season!

Lately he has been much more consistent, and I don't have so many worries about him.

He also showed good handling of high balls into the box in the last game.

All in all, a great improvement :)

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Not sure what right the young player has giving stick if he isn't scoring goals in the league or hasn't achieved anything. It's not like Keane giving stick after all he achieved.

tomaldinho1

Not sure what right the young player has giving stick if he isn't scoring goals in the league or hasn't achieved anything. It's not like Keane giving stick after all he achieved.
I mean, it almost certainly didn’t happen. Quotation marks in football journalism literally mean nothing these days.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I know he's had a lot of clangers and he's looked heavy too, but the distribution is just excellent and his footwork is better than most of the outfield players. Not certain about him, but absolutely rooting for him and I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing de Gea's horror passes for another season.

Litch

Def showing some consistency. Kicking hit and miss but in fairness, hitting long is a lottery ball….