Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
On average only 4.89 of those are on target per game though, so not really that many opportunities to feck up.

Apart from our poor defending, teams are probably taking more shots based on his inability to save them earlier in the season!

Lately he has been much more consistent, and I don't have so many worries about him.

He also showed good handling of high balls into the box in the last game.

All in all, a great improvement :)
I see what you mean, but good goal keepers and defenders covers clear angles and forces the opposition players pick harder shots forcing off target shots. So conceding shots like that is always a worry.

arthurka

I don't know but I want him to have another season with couple of games with the same defence.

NM

Except for CL. I believe that wasn‘t just him though: defending is done as a team.
Nahh the CL is on him. We got kocked out due to his individual errors. Done well in the league though.

Andersonson

I'm not sold by him at all, he makes me nervous. He often has his weight on his wrong foot, looks like he is gambling to early on where they are gonna shoot. Still, has been good lately

Pintu

Nahh the CL is on him. We got kocked out due to his individual errors. Done well in the league though.
No we didn’t… Keep the penalty he saved that gave us our only win and take away his mistakes and we still finish behind københavn in all scenarios.

Sylar

There was a thread comparing him to Massimo Taibi a few months back.
We had people writing off hoijlund after a month or two here. This place goes from one extreme to another.

I'm still hoping to see what he looks like when the spine is sorted. Once we have two settled CBs, maybe mainoo or somebody similar then hoijlund up top. That spine sorted and then a consistent back four too. It's really hard to judge when it changes every game

NM

No we didn’t… Keep the penalty he saved that gave us our only win and take away his mistakes and we still finish behind københavn in all scenarios.
I don't think that takes into account the impact that playing in front of a clown had on the team at the time. When he fecked up in one of the games, the team just walked off as they were done with him.

Great transformation, but he has cost us both confidence and money in the UCL

Well, he was absolutely horrendous for the first half of the season and almost single-handedly got us knocked out of the CL, but it's great that he's finding his form and doing better. I think he can do fine here, so long as his utterly disastrous start is well behind him and not something we have to deal with again in the future. I wouldn't call it "rash" to judge him when he was so awful for quite a long time
You wouldn’t call it rash to judge someone after 4 months?
And you consider 4 months a long time for a new player.

o…….. k

Some people should’ve learnt from De Gea that GKs, just like outfield player such as Højlund, can take some time to settle in and judging them after less than half a season is absolutely rash as feck.

NLunited

Bad defending leads to anxiety leads to errors. I stand by what I said.

Rojofiam

The CL was mostly on him IMO, but all of our games were pretty much end-to-end. He still made mistakes in at least 4 of our 6 group games, though.

However, I've been saying it since the beginning that I think he has what it takes to be our long-term number 1 if we are going to play possession football, and his recent performances have give me even more confidence about that statement.

I really don't think the current City team would notice any difference if you replaced Ederson with Onana. Neither of them are world class shot stoppers, but both of them are incredible with the ball.

Marcelinho87

Needs to be this solid for the remainder of the season for me to have hope, don't want to see any more clangers this season.
Harsh considering almost 500 shots against us this season.

He’s going to make mistakes when he’s having to deal with 3 x the amount of shots that he should.

Litch

The CL was mostly on him IMO, but all of our games were pretty much end-to-end. He still made mistakes in at least 4 of our 6 group games, though.

However, I've been saying it since the beginning that I think he has what it takes to be our long-term number 1 if we are going to play possession football, and his recent performances have give me even more confidence about that statement.

I really don't think the current City team would notice any difference if you replaced Ederson with Onana. Neither of them are world class shot stoppers, but both of them are incredible with the ball.
Thats fair.....

Cantonalegod

Harsh considering almost 500 shots against us this season.

He’s going to make mistakes when he’s having to deal with 3 x the amount of shots that he should.
He doesn't have to deal with most of those shots though, most of them are well off target.

Only 5 shots per game on target on average in the league.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Only 9th highest (4.93).

3rd highest shots conceeded per 90.

3rd lowest shots conceeded on target per 90.
So basically showing that shots per match is as useful as a metric as a chocolate teapot

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

good post!

Marwood

If he made those same mistakes in City's Champs League campaign I think you'd notice a big difference.

Doesn't matter how good you are. It you're keeper is repeatedly chucking in goals you're in trouble.

Rojofiam

If he made those same mistakes in City's Champs League campaign I think you'd notice a big difference.

Doesn't matter how good you are. It you're keeper is repeatedly chucking in goals you're in trouble.
Yes, and I've also mentioned several times that those mistakes can't keep happening.

The problem I have is several posters not acknowledging his strengths, and the fact that those strengths are more important to today's top teams than his weaknesses, because even if he's weak at shot stopping, elite teams like City or Arsenal concede far fewer chances than we do, meaning Ederson and Raya/Ramsdale don't have to make half as many saves as Onana has had to this season.

Last edited:

Red00012

This thread has gone very quiet these past few weeks . The haters must be sickened lately

Man Utd 4:3 Liverpool New

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I thought he was great today, deserves lot of praise.

Some blaming him for that Nunez shot was ridiculous, the fact that he saved it was already good enough considering how close Nunez was.

Last edited:

Alemar

Did well today. 2 goals were deflections, third one a rebound. Saved everything else, and there were many shots

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Some blaming him for that Nunez shit was ridiculous, the fact that he saved it was already good enough considering how close Nunez was.
It's not an easy one, but I do think he could have parried it a bit further out.

Otherwise he had a good match, unfortunately beaten twice by deflections.

Oranges038

Another good display.

But the gowls will still find a way to blame him for all 3 goals.

Abraxas

I think the MacAllister one was very much saveable. Not a 100% save, but I'd expect a top shot stopper to save that a reasonable amount of the time.

Was very composed on the ball today despite the centre backs in front of him not looking comfortable against the press, he managed to relieve some of that pressure with the right passes.

MetoTTT

Some blaming him for that Nunez shit was ridiculous, the fact that he saved it was already good enough considering how close Nunez was.
Nothing to add really. Was brilliant today and very good lately. Keep it going!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Another 50% passing rate, with 28 long balls (and only 6 successful). Need to cut down those.

Two deflections, not his fault. Thought Onana’s passing was brilliant today. Also claimed another couple of crosses. Has been very very good since the turn of the year.

Cecc

He is getting better and better. I hope he grow to be great player for us!

criticalanalysis

Another weird one. Great aerial claiming, some decent shot saving, some good passing, some poor passing and again some questionable saving technique/approach on Nunez's shot (that lead to Salah's goal) and Mac Allister's goal.

Superunknown

I don't blame him for any of the goals today, tbh. The first and third were jammy with deflections. He's growing on me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He cost us CL and had some blunders but lately he is doing really well. He is getting better and better.