5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Massively stepped up since Afcon but hardly over performing expectation. His current form is the minimum expectation for a club like Utd, made to look better by how shocking his start was.

Pughnichi

I like him
I’ve always liked him
Was a bit concerned with early season form
Since the turn of the year he’s been solid

surely nobody is missing DeGea now? The David defenders were out in force every game week at the start of the season….he’s almost a forgotten man though

crossy1686

career ending
Listened to the Athletic podcast the other week and Mitten said he had massive issues when he first arrived, mostly because the lads in training weren't having him, as in, they thought he was shit, and it affected him mentally. Glad to see he's on the other side of it now, the stats suggest he's one of the better GK's in the league, not the best but still a good one.

Mike Smalling

Listened to the Athletic podcast the other week and Mitten said he had massive issues when he first arrived, mostly because the lads in training weren't having him, as in, they thought he was shit, and it affected him mentally. Glad to see he's on the other side of it now, the stats suggest he's one of the better GK's in the league, not the best but still a good one.
How would he know that? Are players really discussing their teammates like that to journalists, or is he just speculating? It sounds super toxic.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
One of the poster mentioned in the match day thread yesterday that he already committed to other side for the third goal and that's why he couldn't reach other side. Posts like this are embarrassing . Firstly you have no idea how a GK is taught to react . Let's say if there was no deflection and he misses the ball on his side, then you will blame him again for not anticipating that direction of the shot.

He is our new Dalot. Can't do anything right or wrong.

Grande

Massively stepped up since Afcon but hardly over performing expectation. His current form is the minimum expectation for a club like Utd, made to look better by how shocking his start was.
I’d say since AFCON he’s been better than anything we’ve seen at the club since more than five years ago, so that makes me happy.

mu4c_20le

How would he know that? Are players really discussing their teammates like that to journalists, or is he just speculating? It sounds super toxic.
Hmm, in this case I dont mind, shows we still have standards. Shows we arent chelsea yet.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Been much better from the start of this year. Still think he needs to improve his shot stopping and try to push to safety rather than in our own penalty area. Salah scored due to that. Not saying it was his fault or he could have done anything about it.

Teja

Been much better from the start of this year. Still think he needs to improve his shot stopping and try to push to safety rather than in our own penalty area. Salah scored due to that. Not saying it was his fault or he could have done anything about it.
+1

Even the shot stopping I feel he fecks up on very specific situations. His general shot stopping is alright. Maybe something that can be coached.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Because he interviewed Onana for an Athletic article, it's why he mentioned it on the podcast.

Rodgerzzz

I really enjoyed that moment he rushed out & shanked the ball to clear it, then started manically shouting at everyone to push up. Also his pass to pick out Maguire on the left wing was scrumptious, especially given how their relationship started with Onana screaming at Maguire in that pre season friendly, felt like a good story arc. I'm glad he's coming good now, he's a bit eccentric but I do love someone with a bit of character.

IRN-BRUno

Doesn't surprise me if this was the case. De Gea was a popular member of the squad, his exit was handled pretty badly and he ends up being replaced by someone the manager had already worked with. So he already had a little extra to prove even before he made those errors at the start of the season.

OmarUnited4ever

I like him, he is a lot more solid now and his ball distribution is quite good and helps the team a lot, our issue is we face too many shots and only legendary keepers like Buffon or Neuer or even Allison and Courtois are able to handle that many shots consistently, the likes of Ederson might struggle if their teams aren't controlling the game

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
There was so many mistakes involved in that goal, yes. The build-up was overly risky, so we got squeezed into the corner of the pitch, Bruno got dispossessed too easily, and as you say McTominay is ballwatching. So I don't put much of the blame on Onana, but I still don't think it was good technique to parry it there, and I only really bring it up, because it seems to be inherent in his game.
What seems to be inherent?
Onana doesn't have a history of making poorly parried saves.

The thing he's infamous for is taking too many risks with his dribbling and passing, which he hasn't really done for United.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I agree with him and he should know more than random people on the CAF. But even people here can see his technique is all off a lot of times
Yes, but not there. 3rd was a massive deflection and he committed/did his pre jump at the right time, hugely unlucky. The 2nd he's done well with a virtually point blank shot hit well by Nunez and gotten unlucky with the bounce. You are talking milliseconds in him raising his hands to get to the initial shot that forces the ball somewhere else on its trajectory.

As someone who has GK Coaching licences, technical scouting and performance analysis qualifications if i'm reviewing those then I am not suggesting he needs to do better.

Mike Smalling

What seems to be inherent?
Onana doesn't have a history of making poorly parried saves.

The thing he's infamous for is taking too many risks with his dribbling and passing, which he hasn't really done for United.
He's done it plenty this season, and it's been discussed quite a lot in this thread.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Yes, but not there. 3rd was a massive deflection and he committed/did his pre jump at the right time, hugely unlucky. The 2nd he's done well with a virtually point blank shot hit well by Nunez and gotten unlucky with the bounce. You are talking milliseconds in him raising his hands to get to the initial shot that forces the ball somewhere else on its trajectory.

As someone who has GK Coaching licences, technical scouting and performance analysis qualifications if i'm reviewing those then I am not suggesting he needs to do better.
The top keepers would do better or at least review it post match and think they could have done better. Just like an ex pro Foster just said. Yes its not a blatant mistake but he could and should have done better. Like Rashfords miss. Yes not a howler. It went just past the post. It happens. But top goal scorers would not accept that. Top keepers would not be happy flapping a ball to Salah. It wasnt that point blank or hard that it was impossible. Same as the third goal. Tricky but not impossible. He nearly got it. Half a second quicker and would have had it

criticalanalysis

MacAllister's goal is from 14 yards and hit with good pace, takes a deflection which adds pace and takes it further away to the post. Those are incredibly difficult to stop.

Salah goal, Nunez hits a wicked shot around a defender from all off 8 yards, Onana makes a really good save, one where he's unable to control where the ball goes after, because it was enough just to get his hand to it to keep it out. Salah shouldn't be left all alone 6 yards out like that.

For Elliotts strike, he's going to where the ball is headed until the deflection takes it the other way. He's not gambling on the shot. He's had to change direction and try to get down low to his right. Not impossible to get there, but you see these goals wrong foot keepers all the time.

I think it's ridiculous that Utd fans just can't accept he had a really good game without suggesting he should have done better for the goals. Both keepers had excellent games yesterday and still there was 7 goals in the game, it happens.
Like I said with the two deflected goals, I'm not too fussed to place blame on him. That's different to whether I thought he could have done better, which is where I tried to explain why.

As for the Nunez shot, we'll have to agree to disagree, it was a below par save for me. He will have to deal with many close shots like that in his career and he will have to learn to not meet them with equal strength and let the momentum take it further away from goal. I'm not the only one suggesting it's been bit of a weakness and pattern of his this season. It's happened less compared to earlier in the season because he's been in good form recently but it's still an issue we need to be wary of.

As for your last sentence, why can't Utd fans acknowledge he was good and also could have done better? It's not binary. I've also already explained my thoughts if I was a Liverpool fan regarding Kelleher. Maybe opposition fans can share what they thought of his performance @Dumbstar @Klopper76?

Jev

He should absolutely have done better with the Nunez save, surprised anyone would disagree. That is his big glaring weakness, he’s really not good at handling shots or pushing them away, resulting in way too many dangerous rebounds. Good game otherwise, but for a slightly clumsy moment when Nunez shot from angle zero.

tomaldinho1

The top keepers would do better or at least review it post match and think they could have done better. Just like an ex pro Foster just said. Yes its not a blatant mistake but he could and should have done better. Like Rashfords miss. Yes not a howler. It went just past the post. It happens. But top goal scorers would not accept that. Top keepers would not be happy flapping a ball to Salah. It wasnt that point blank or hard that it was impossible. Same as the third goal. Tricky but not impossible. He nearly got it. Half a second quicker and would have had it
Extremely different scenarios you’re comparing here. Rashford’s miss was a very standard finish at the elite level.

The Onana save you’re discussing isn’t really, some keepers wouldn’t even get to it, then it’s a bit of a lottery where the ball goes and also a very good first touch from Salah. I think it’s fair to say the elite of elite shot stoppers would try and be clawing it further away to Onana’s left but it’s a powerful shot and I don’t really see how you’d say it’s an error unless you go down the rabbit hole of basically everything that isn’t world class being an error.

Pronewbie

Peep

I didn't either but I'm inclined to defer to Foster's experience about what's expected of a top tier goalkeeper.

Irwin99

I don't think his shot stopping is that impressive but i do like his general calmness on the ball and i've been banging on about this since the Arsenal game earlier in the season, we looked really comfortable playing from the back with Onana, Martinez and Dalot. It does bode well for the future if we can bring in a few new defenders who are equally good on the ball.

Marcelinho87

Disagree.

You mention for a club like United but fail to mention that a club like United wouldn't be getting hammered every game, or shouldn't be.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On 3rd goal, his hand reached the ball trajectory. But when the ball bounced off the surface close to the goal, i've seen many times, even best of the best Gk, would somehow miss it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't think his shot stopping is that impressive but i do like his general calmness on the ball and i've been banging on about this since the Arsenal game earlier in the season, we looked really comfortable playing from the back with Onana, Martinez and Dalot. It does bode well for the future if we can bring in a few new defenders who are equally good on the ball.
Agreed. His technique will just always be unorthodox I think. But he is not scared of the ball. Some great passes and the personality to not be rattled no matter what. De gea for all his incredible saves never had a "presence". Could never be intimidating. Onana can and that adds a dynamic to our defense we were lacking .

Rojofiam

Even those simple passes he makes in this video were a problem for DDG last year. Onana makes them look effortless, even if the opponents try to press him.

And those high claims where he leaves the goal area. I cannot remember De Gea doing those, almost ever.

Onana isn't the best shot-stopper in the world, but watching any one of his performances will show you how much of a difference a true technical goalkeeper makes for us, even now, let alone when we will become a possession-based team, looking to control most of their matches.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
On 3rd goal, his hand reached the ball trajectory. But when the ball bounced off the surface close to the goal, i've seen many times, even best of the best Gk, would somehow miss it.
The thing about Onana though, is having watched him closely for 3/4 of a season now, is that there are too many times where he lets in these shoulda/coulda/woulda shots for it to be just unlucky. I still hope he can elevate himself to Ederson-tier and I'd be delighted. We can build a team around his strengths to mitigate his average (at best) shot-stopping.

Slightly off topic but I was impressed with Kelleher's performance and think he could be a starter for a PL club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The thing about Onana though, is having watched him closely for 3/4 of a season now, is that there are too many times where he lets in these shoulda/coulda/woulda shots for it to be just unlucky. I still hope he can elevate himself to Ederson-tier and I'd be delighted. We can build a team around his strengths to mitigate his average (at best) shot-stopping.

Slightly off topic but I was impressed with Kelleher's performance and think he could be a starter for a PL club.
Yeah. I'm still not convinced with him either. That Kelleher guy for example, seems like at the level of Onana. And he's just Liverpool's 2nd choice from their academy.

lex talionis

Ben Foster on TUS says Onana should be doing better for the 2nd and 3rd goals.
3rd goal there’s nothing Onana could have done, but the 2nd goal could have been dealt with better by Onana. But if we’re going to be honest Onana was brilliant overall. Not perfect, but brilliant.

Onana’s improvement since the AFCON has been remarkable and even though it cannot in any way be argued that Onana delivered the transformation Beth, Statman Dave and so many others predicted what we have now is a keeper who makes all the saves we expect him to make and distributes the ball with confidence and quickness.

Abraxas

2 of the goals took fairly big deflections that most keepers would struggle to keep out.
Nunez one was a shot from 8 yards out that came around a defender, he did well just to get a strong hand to it. Sometimes a save is about as much as you can do and you don't have time to think about directing the ball away. Why Salah is left standing on his own on the 6 yard box, where's the midfield tracking runners?

Don't see anyone blaming Kelleher for letting in 3 soft goals down to his left. Or palming the McT goal up in the air. I'd imagine most Liverpool fans would have been happy with his performance today. But yet here we are, Onana had a good game, made some good saves but is still getting shit on for goals that he could do shag all about.
I'm not sure the Kelleher point has any merit. It's not relevant to Onana's performance or any assessment of it. That's Liverpool's problem to worry about.

I think he could have saved that one. Note, I wasn't saying a certain, easy save that's always made or even offering major criticism that he didnt. But I think it's a stretch to say he could do nothing about it. It's somewhere in-between, I think the absolute elite top shot stoppers that are getting there and getting a hand like Onana did might have got more on it, or made a better dive to start with to make the hand easier. One thing that seems evident with him is that he doesn't seem to be in the top bracket of shot stopping which also plays into my suspicion it was possible to save.

CoopersDream

Did extremely well on the double chance. Otherwise not much to do in terms of saves, weird as that sounds. Maybe not his best game in terms of distribution, but it wouldn't have mattered today as the outfield players couldn't string three passes together. Looking better each game IMO.

arnie_ni

Great double save. Didn't stand much of chance with the 3 or 4 times they hit the woodwork or the goal