View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Litch

Instead of blubbering a ton of nothing, can you actually say the 3 mistakes the poster mentioned did not happen?
Bluppering a ton...too funny but lets keep this grown up. Not sure that was a question? Thanks for that nonetheless, but for clarity, all footballers make mistakes inc keepers.

Kostov

Bluppering a ton...too funny but lets keep this grown up. Not sure that was a question? Thanks for that nonetheless, but for clarity, all footballers make mistakes inc keepers.
So did Onana make those high profile errors or he did not?

Last edited:

Litch

So did Onana make those high profile errors or he did not?
Do bears shit in the woods....but like said, that was never the question. More than one thing can be true and whilst he did, that doesnt mean that he hasnt improved or whether he'll be 'good enough'.
My point is its literally been one season, there have been other factors and whilst everyone has an opinion, to suggest a professional goalkeeper flaw, thats played at the highest level cant save low shots is ridiculous.

Kostov

Do bears shit in the woods....but like said, that was never the question. More than one thing can be true and whilst he did, that doesnt mean that he hasnt improved or whether he'll be 'good enough'.
My point is its literally been one season, there have been other factors and whilst everyone has an opinion, to suggest a professional goalkeeper flaw, thats played at the highest level cant save low shots is ridiculous.
Of course he has improved and has had plenty of good games nobody should deny that. But there’s also so many people getting overboard with the praises. And yes low shot are obviously a weakness, that doesn’t mean he can’t save them at all.

lex talionis

The cushion header was brainless, but Onana did not need to plow through the Burnley forward in that situation. Massive mental error, which is a glaring weakness in his game. But he did make some great saves.

Litch

Of course he has improved and has had plenty of good games nobody should deny that. But there’s also so many people getting overboard with the praises. And yes low shot are obviously a weakness, that doesn’t mean he can’t save them at all.
I guess its the nature of fans and people equally go overboard as much about how shite he is.

Not sure low shots are his weakness but if they are, anybody's weaknesses are exposed or amplified if you are faced with so many shots per game.

We dont know what the Liverpool or City's consistent weaknesses are (they have them), cause they rarely are tested.

Hes not my first choice stylistically, but thats not the measure and equally I think hes better than some give him credit for. Lets see when hes had a full season, made some adjustments and a stable back four in front of him.

Hughes35

I'm far from his biggest fan but he's been good for a while now. Not brilliant but good.

He would be one of the few that deserves a second season even though the jury is still out.

Mike Smalling

I'm far from his biggest fan but he's been good for a while now. Not brilliant but good.

He would be one of the few that deserves a second season even though the jury is still out.
Of course he deserves a second season, but can you really say he's been good recently, when he has cost us a goal in each of our last two matches? He also let in a fairly weak shot against Bournemouth, if I remember right.

Has he really put together a two month spell of consistent good performances during this season? It seems to me there has been a lot of false dawns followed by some kind of howler.

Hughes35

Of course he deserves a second season, but can you really say he's been good recently, when he has cost us a goal in each of our last two matches? He also let in a fairly weak shot against Bournemouth, if I remember right.

Has he really put together a two month spell of consistent good performances during this season? It seems to me there has been a lot of false dawns followed by some kind of howler.
Yea, I think he's been good. The howler at the weekend should really be on Casemiro (even though Onana didn't cover himself in glory).

If you look at my previous posts you will see I'm really not a fan of Onana but he's more than ok in recent times. The question mark is if he is top class. I suspect the answer will be no but I'm willing to give him a chance when we see how bad everything in front of him has been.

Yakuza_devils

He is a possession based team GK but we bought him to face min 30 shots per game. End to end stuffs

Cantonalegod

He is a possession based team GK but we bought him to face min 30 shots per game. End to end stuffs
He faces an average of 5 shots on target per game.

Teams may have a lot of shots against us, but most of them don't find the target.

Mike Smalling

Yea, I think he's been good. The howler at the weekend should really be on Casemiro (even though Onana didn't cover himself in glory).

If you look at my previous posts you will see I'm really not a fan of Onana but he's more than ok in recent times. The question mark is if he is top class. I suspect the answer will be no but I'm willing to give him a chance when we see how bad everything in front of him has been.
Sure. I have concerns but we are not in a position to switch the goalkeeper again anyway. We need to focus on other areas on the pitch.

Kostov

I guess its the nature of fans and people equally go overboard as much about how shite he is.

Not sure low shots are his weakness but if they are, anybody's weaknesses are exposed or amplified if you are faced with so many shots per game.

We dont know what the Liverpool or City's consistent weaknesses are (they have them), cause they rarely are tested.

Hes not my first choice stylistically, but thats not the measure and equally I think hes better than some give him credit for. Lets see when hes had a full season, made some adjustments and a stable back four in front of him.
I asked for the stats of previous seasons, since I think it's been a long standing issue for years if I am not wrong. People used it as some kind of beating stick for DDG in the past now it's been reversed to excuse Onana. I stand to be corrected I genuinely do think it was always a ton of shots against our GK.

We don't know what Liverpool and City's weaknesses are because they are smart team builders unlike ETH and our recruitment team of last season. We were having much bigger problems all over the starting 11, he chose to spank big money on Onana.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I asked for the stats of previous seasons, since I think it's been a long standing issue for years if I am not wrong. People used it as some kind of beating stick for DDG in the past now it's been reversed to excuse Onana. I stand to be corrected I genuinely do think it was always a ton of shots against our GK.

We don't know what Liverpool and City's weaknesses are because they are smart team builders unlike ETH and our recruitment team of last season. We were having much bigger problems all over the starting 11, he chose to spank big money on Onana.
The most saves De Gea ever made in a full league season was the Ole/Rangnick season with 128 (and that was an outlier because we were terrible that season, his average was a good bit lower). Onana has already made 131 with four games left to play.

We've left our keeper more exposed than ever this year, by a long shot.

Red Royal

The most saves De Gea ever made in a full league season was the Ole/Rangnick season with 128 (and that was an outlier because we were terrible that season, his average was a good bit lower). Onana has already made 131 with four games left to play.

We've left our keeper more exposed than ever this year, by a long shot.
Agree, I think even prime Peter Schmeichel would have struggled this season in our goal.

lex talionis

The point is again we bought player without any plan to play to their strengths
There was a plan, but it was a daft plan. Last June, when it become clear that De Gea would be kicked to the curb and Onana brought in, supporters became ecstatic over the idea that Onana would bring about a transformation of our buildup play.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Actually more likely players who were fundamental to make that happen were missing a lot. E.g Martinez and Mount also the striker not having enough experience to reliably pin defences back (which was also part of the plan)

tomaldinho1

There's a clear plan, we just need to be much better with recruiting. Think of the amount of signings City made in the first couple of seasons when Pep went there and that was with a vastly better team versus us.

If you want to play a completely different style, you need completely different players but we're doing it piecemeal with some typical United idiocy thrown in i.e. FDJ is top target, how do you go from his profile to Case? Why spend so much on Mount that it handicaps you for FFP and means you have to settle for loaning bloody Amrabat.

Stig

I would say that top keepers don't make as many mistakes that Onana does, nor do they have such poor diving technique nor poor simple ball collection technique. He is nowhere near Premier League standard.

lex talionis

I would say that top keepers don't make as many mistakes that Onana does, nor do they have such poor diving technique nor poor simple ball collection technique. He is nowhere near Premier League standard.
That's a bit harsh. Onana is no worse than PL midtable level.

I wouldn't put him in the top 6, as this table does: https://www.givemesport.com/premier-league-best-goalkeepers/

But I wouldn't Onana in the bottom half either.

Litch

Too funny. Like said, he must have done some kind of Jedi mind trick to fool the Ajax, Inter and Man Utd goal keeper scouts!!...but didnt fool you Stig. I salute you from behind your laptop.

Stig

Too funny. Like said, he must have done some kind of Jedi mind trick to fool the Ajax, Inter and Man Utd goal keeper scouts!!...but didnt fool you Stig. I salute you from behind your laptop.
Thank you. You're right; he didn't fool me. I've seen through him.:nono:

David De Gea

He went to Ajax after failing to make the grade at Barca, yeah Ajax in the Dutch league, yeah the Dutch league that's what 5th or 6th best league in Europe? Yeah he went there for 6 years when he would have been as attainable as every player in the Dutch league except no big team took him despite many big teams changing keepers in that time. I wonder if it was anything to do with scouts seeing the glaring holes in his technique? Or seeing that hes a big time Charlie that thinks he's a lot better than he is?

Then he went to Inter when he was available on a free, yeah the same Inter that took Alexi Sanchez of us and who obviously have to operate in the opportunist market. He had a good season there (though still filled with plenty of trademark howlers).

Then United went and paid stupid money for him. Yeah the same united that paid stupid money for Antony, Mount and a load of other players that had played for EtH before and look how well they've all done! I don't think that's anything to do with scouts and everything to do with Ten Hag lacking in ideas.

Litch

He went to Ajax after failing to make the grade at Barca, yeah Ajax in the Dutch league, yeah the Dutch league that's what 5th or 6th best league in Europe? Yeah he went there for 6 years when he would have been as attainable as every player in the Dutch league except no big team took him despite many big teams changing keepers in that time. I wonder if it was anything to do with scouts seeing the glaring holes in his technique? Or seeing that hes a big time Charlie that thinks he's a lot better than he is?

Then he went to Inter when he was available on a free, yeah the same Inter that took Alexi Sanchez of us and who obviously have to operate in the opportunist market. He had a good season there (though still filled with plenty of trademark howlers).

Then United went and paid stupid money for him. Yeah the same united that paid stupid money for Antony, Mount and a load of other players that had played for EtH before and look how well they've all done! I don't think that's anything to do with scouts and everything to do with Ten Hag lacking in ideas.
Do you want me to list some of the greatest players ever to kick a ball from the crap dutch league?

I think keepers are different, they tend to stay at clubs longer.

I also think generally keepers big move tend to happen in their mid 20's.

Didnt EtH sign a CB from dutch football thats done ok, why have you missed him off your list?

Comments like 'big time Charlie' that think hes better than he, its pretty transparent you have an agenda beyond whether hes any good or not.

The funny thing is, I think you are probably gonna have to put up with him quite a bit longer, hes not going anywhere anytime soon....

Rojofiam

We don't need an exceptional goalstopper .. but we surely need a goalkeeper who doesn't perform howlers .. and can do a decent passing game ..
Onana can do neither

For eg, Ederson is not a great showstopper.. but his all round skills make him the best goalkeeper out there
:lol: :lol: :lol: One of the worst takes I've seen recently

RoyH1

I cannot stand watching him a single minute in our goal anymore. Cannot get the basics of shot stopping right and transmits no security at all to his defenders

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolutely donkey in goal. He doesn't cover the goal with any urgency at all.

Cantonalegod

The defence were absolute shite in this game, Casimero was running in diver's boots, but I completely give up with Onana.

Words fail me for the whole shit show!

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Will be the albatross across the fecking neck of the next manager. Regrettable purchase that will hurt the team for years.

El Jefe

Just waiting for Pogue to come in here and tell us he could save none of those goals.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Laughably bad at being a goal keeper and amazed people want to defend him