André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I think his falling out was more with Ajax than with Erik, because he didn’t want to extend his contract after Ajax stood by him in the drugs case and the suspension.
Be interesting to see if any of the Utd tier 1's link him with us at all. I know Law is reliable for Chelsea but needs Ornstein/Whitwell to say something from our side

Partridge

I thought we might look at this guy when i saw his kicking vs city. Don't know much about him, but, he is better with the ball at his feet than de Gea by the look of it.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
just to clear up the whole falling out thing;

Onana and Ajax did have a falling out, with him (supposedly) being open for a one year extension, Ajax wanting two, him sort of playing things along until it was obvious he would just run out his contract (despite not being eligible to play). Then his ban ended and we had injuries to both our (geriatric) first and second keepers, and so Onana was called on, and he was really bad.

But not just bad, his whole attitude was sour, and it became an issue with his teammates even commenting on his lack of professionalism. It boiled over when he then one game couldn't be bothered to join the rest of the team in thanking the away support, making the whole team wait, with Klaassen and Blind visibly irritated at him.

Onana (who was bad in that game, conceding a goal after a very lazy pass that lost possession) said in a post-game interview that he didn't care about the criticism from the fans, saying:
"People can say what they want, I don't care. If you are angry, it is your problem; if you are happy it is your problem. So for me it doesn't matter, I only take the critic from the coaches. For the rest, they can sing they can cry, I don't give a shit."

Which you can imagine didn't land well with fans - with a player who clearly looked like he didn't give a shit on the field came out and said (in their eyes) that he actually really didn't.
After that, Onana went from starting to not included in the squad for any of the season's remaining games (including that week's cup final). There were then reports Ten Hag had sent him away on holiday for the final month (7 games) of the season, though he did then appear on one photo on social media around the title win I think?

Pasveer (that season's actual first keeper) commented on Onana's attitude in an interview after the season as well:

'After his suspension André followed his own plan, didn't say much and that bothered some guys as well,' Pasveer shares in Heroes Magazine. When Onana made his return under the crossbar, Ajax conceded as many goals in two games as in 20 games with Pasveer: four. 'If you are not only concerned with yourself, but also with your backline, that ball might not get near the goal,' Pasveer searches for an explanation.

The veteran makes it clear that he assigns Onana 'enormous talent' and knows the goalkeeper was causing a furore before his suspension. 'But he was mainly concerned with himself at the end,' he adds. 'I can only judge on what I saw. And then I don't think he is a real top athlete, but maybe that was very different before the doping case. In my eyes, he is not someone who wants to do everything to get better.'
Ten Hag always refused to comment on the situation though, so we can't really know if he took personal issue with Onana. We do know that Onana's attitude was openly shit, failing to be there when two injuries meant he was needed, and then immediately getting sent away from the squad for the remainder of the season

Unam333

just to clear up the whole falling out thing;

Onana and Ajax did have a falling out, with him (supposedly) being open for a one year extension, Ajax wanting two, him sort of playing things along until it was obvious he would just run out his contract (despite not being eligible to play). Then his ban ended and we had injuries to both our (geriatric) first and second keepers, and so Onana was called on, and he was really bad.

But not just bad, his whole attitude was sour, and it became an issue with his teammates even commenting on his lack of professionalism. It boiled over when he then one game couldn't be bothered to join the rest of the team in thanking the away support, making the whole team wait, with Klaassen and Blind visibly irritated at him.

Onana (who was bad in that game, conceding a goal after a very lazy pass that lost possession) said in a post-game interview that he didn't care about the criticism from the fans, saying:
"People can say what they want, I don't care. If you are angry, it is your problem; if you are happy it is your problem. So for me it doesn't matter, I only take the critic from the coaches. For the rest, they can sing they can cry, I don't give a shit."

Which you can imagine didn't land well with fans - with a player who clearly looked like he didn't give a shit on the field came out and said (in their eyes) that he actually really didn't.
After that, Onana went from starting to not included in the squad for any of the season's remaining games (including that week's cup final). There were then reports Ten Hag had sent him away on holiday for the final month (7 games) of the season, though he did then appear on one photo on social media around the title win I think?

Pasveer (that season's actual first keeper) commented on Onana's attitude in an interview after the season as well:

Ten Hag always refused to comment on the situation though, so we can't really know if he took personal issue with Onana. We do know that Onana's attitude was openly shit, failing to be there when two injuries meant he was needed, and then immediately getting sent away from the squad for the remainder of the season
I want to add something. I believe after it became clear Onana had no intentions of extending his contract, the club decided to punish him and didn't want to give playing time to a player who has decided to leave on a free. However, when that goalkeeper crisis hit the Ajax squad Ten Hag had no choice but to reinstall him as the first team keeper. I think him initially not training with the first team and the Ajax fans turning against him really made his attitude toxic.

AaronRedDevil

Damn Chelsea get all the good players. They are selling Mendy and we are keeping De Gea. Ffs.

quadrant

If we’re not going big on a striker then there’s no excuse not to sort out the GK position. Whether I would definitely go for him over other options I’m not sure, but he would be a big upgrade in most departments on what we have.

Crimson King

Damn Chelsea get all the good players. They are selling Mendy and we are keeping De Gea. Ffs.
They need to shift two keepers before they bring in another one. Onana isn't going anywhere to sit on the bench.

I'd say this hinges on them getting rid of Kepa and whether or not DDG agrees a new contract.

tomaldinho1

Always wanted him purely because of how easy it would be to steal Rihanna's song and have it blaring from the terraces.

Oh na-na, what's my name?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Was Ten Hag his manager at Ajax? And didn't he fail a drug test, have Ajax stick by him, only to refuse a contract and leave for nothing? Does not sound like someone Ten Hag would be targeting but who knows?

croadyman

If we’re not going big on a striker then there’s no excuse not to sort out the GK position. Whether I would definitely go for him over other options I’m not sure, but he would be a big upgrade in most departments on what we have.
Oh I definitely would

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They need to shift two keepers before they bring in another one. Onana isn't going anywhere to sit on the bench.

I'd say this hinges on them getting rid of Kepa and whether or not DDG agrees a new contract.
Kepa will probably happily stay as a back up, he's a rare case at Chelsea of an underperforming record signing actually having some self awareness over where he's at.

However unfortuently there's rumours Pochettino is happy to have Kepa in the nets next year. Hopefully that's a case of immediate resources being prioritised elsewhere as opposed to him actually thinking he's good enough.

croadyman

Always wanted him purely because of how easy it would be to steal Rihanna's song and have it blaring from the terraces.

Yeah let's hope we hear that out of the Stretford End and not Shed End

croadyman

Was Ten Hag his manager at Ajax? And didn't he fail a drug test, have Ajax stick by him, only to refuse a contract and leave for nothing? Does not sound like someone Ten Hag would be targeting but who knows?
That's my biggest concern

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think people at Ajax tend to be understanding of players wanting a move to a bigger league. No idea what their relationship is like, @AjaxCunian @AjaxNL can maybe say more?

AjaxNL

I have no idea on what really happened between Onana, Ajax and Ten Hag. All i know is that pre-ban, Onana was absolutely phenomenal, and post-ban he was absolutely terrible. Seems to be back to his old form now. After 10(?) years of DDG, you lot wouldn't know what hit you if you got him. He is 30 yards in front of his goal all the time and his ball playing ability is better than most CB's. Really hope he comes here

croadyman

I have no idea on what really happened between Onana, Ajax and Ten Hag. All i know is that pre-ban, Onana was absolutely phenomenal, and post-ban he was absolutely terrible. Seems to be back to his old form now. After 10(?) years of DDG, you lot wouldn't know what hit you if you got him. He is 30 yards in front of his goal all the time and his ball playing ability is better than most CB's. Really hope he comes here
Fingers crossed Chelsea have difficulty managing to sell Kepa and Mendy so we can get him

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Fingers crossed Chelsea have difficulty managing to sell Kepa and Mendy so we can get him
Don't think we have to sell both of them. Mendy already has a foot out the door, Kepa goes back to overpriced backup & leaves in a year when he has a year left on his deal, Slonina goes on loan for a year to get regular playing time and steps into the backup role from next season.

mu4c_20le

I've only read about this supposed falling out with ETH on social media, it was never reported or anything. Could simply be fans putting two and two together tbh. I guess we'll know if its true or not if Erik actually goes for him, since he of all people should know about his abilities.

DepaysCowboyHat

Thats exactly what the Ajax supporters did

Lux Thunder

Put those past issues aside, every fallout story has two sides - speaking purely about qualities he showed during this season and particularly in the CL Final we won't find a better replacement for DDG.

His composure on the ball and passing range made their press so inefficient and we rarely see that happen.

Superden

Does registering an interest come before or after 'preparing a bid' , as we're masters at that bit.

Abraxas

I believe this is much more like it for a keeper target than David Raya.

I don't see the point in shopping in Aldi for that particular role. Get that role nailed down for the foreseeable. It's not like it costs as much as a striker and it's fundamental to a team. Look what a difference Alisson makes for proof that a keeper should not be underestimated.

It's okay saying we want competition, fine - but you need at least one that has the pedigree and talent. Not two "good" keepers in DeGea and Raya spurring each other on to simply be good, not the best. What's the point of that? Is that Man United?

I think Onana is top shelf and Costa is on the cusp of it with more experience so get one of these boys in.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If we are in for him, we will get him. For once I think we can be confident about it. Problem is, our take over delays and it's subsequent impacts.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Onana easily.
Costa does have a few more years to grow, is a fair few years younger and is currently near too Onana's level. I don't think it is as cut and dry as you might think. They are near identical in terms of profile and this has been Onana's first year outside of the Netherlands

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Between Onana & Costa, who would be the better signing?
Honestly I'd be happy with either keeper. I just want to see us evolve and not struggle against well coordinated pressing teams. De Gea is nowhere near good enough to start for us, especially under a head coach who wants to build play from the back.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Nice that there's a halfway reputable source saying we're at least fecking thinking about maybe signing a goalkeeper who can play football.

Still fairly sure we're seeing Dave in nets until the end of time, though.

daba

I believe this is much more like it for a keeper target than David Raya.

I don't see the point in shopping in Aldi for that particular role. Get that role nailed down for the foreseeable. It's not like it costs as much as a striker and it's fundamental to a team. Look what a difference Alisson makes for proof that a keeper should not be underestimated.

It's okay saying we want competition, fine - but you need at least one that has the pedigree and talent. Not two "good" keepers in DeGea and Raya spurring each other on to simply be good, not the best. What's the point of that? Is that Man United?

I think Onana is top shelf and Costa is on the cusp of it with more experience so get one of these boys in.
As a bald, Dutch manager with a double digit number in his name once said, good is not good enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Between Onana & Costa, who would be the better signing?
Costa from what I've seen was the top goalkeeping prospect around the last bit, but a big part of that was Onana dropping off due to the ban. He did struggle in the world Cup and you can't ignore it, though he's young. Onana on the other hand was brilliant in the CL final so the "can he perform under pressure" question is answered for him, and that's one of the biggest unknowns in football for any transfer. Then again, there is the drug thing and his own world cup experience to answer for where he quit ok the team, though I don't know what the full reasons were. That's typically not a great sign though.

Just hope we get one of them.

OleGunnar20

Costa from what I've seen was the top goalkeeping prospect around the last bit, but a big part of that was Onana dropping off due to the ban. He did struggle in the world Cup and you can't ignore it, though he's young. Onana on the other hand was brilliant in the CL final so the "can he perform under pressure" question is answered for him, and that's one of the biggest unknowns in football for any transfer. Then again, there is the drug thing and his own world cup experience to answer for where he quit ok the team, though I don't know what the full reasons were. That's typically not a great sign though.

Just hope we get one of them.
His volatile personality does appear to be the only thing you can hold against him really. As a player he'd transform our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.