André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He has been a lot more reserved at Inter than in his early days at Ajax, he's an adaptable keeper.

VivaRonaldo85

Crying out for a straight swap plus cash - Onana for DDG with Inter (our ex player feeder club)

OleGunnar20

Would be transformative to our play. If ETH thinks he's the right fit character wise then I really, really hope this one goes through.

Brophs

The One and Only
I wouldn't be in any rush to spend £50m or whatever it is on a guy less than two years out from a doping ban.

RedStarUnited

Guarantee it would be a mistake. There’d be 1 goal the Caf wanks itself over where he played a decent pass but all the late draws we’d concede without Dave bailing us out wouldn’t be worth it. Combine that with all the Barthez WTF moments. The Caf just want a shiny new toy unfortunately.
Yeah lets forget about all the late set pieces/chances that we face because De Gea refuses to come out of his six yard box.

Chairman Steve

Exciting I must say. I think we need to get used to a different kind of heart in the mouth moment when he’s casually playing sweeper keeper (Alisson and Ederson are both capable of these antics as well) as opposed to DDG rooted to the goal line as the opposition charge the 6 yard box as a cross comes in.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He wouldn't be a good number 2 at all. Our setup will change so much with new gk, that any time ddg plays we'd turn to shit.
We’ll have that issue without him too, and he’ll know what ETH wants even if hes less competent than the no1

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Are people ok with the fact that Onana was free last year?
Yeah, that bugs me too but it is United way. We don't buy cheap stuff. This summer you have Thuram who is free. But we rather look at Muani or Hojlund who are worth 60+ mil.

L1nk

Are people ok with the fact that Onana was free last year?
Yeah, that bugs me too but it is United way. We don't buy cheap stuff. This summer you have Thuram who is free. But we rather look at Muani or Hojlund who are worth 60+ mil.
He signed a pre contract with Inter Milan in January that season, we still had Ralf back then and not Erik. There's nothing we could have done in the summer so it's not the clubs fault

JB7

Yeah lets forget about all the late set pieces/chances that we face because De Gea refuses to come out of his six yard box.
No no no, we can safely ignore literally every statistic out there and blindly say he bails us out all the time. And ignore the fact we're trying to play football with one of the deepest defensive lines in the entire league to compensate for him. And that half his supposed wonder saves wouldn't happen if he hadn't a) blindly kicked the ball up in the air to give possession away in the first place or b) took the simple catch or collected the ball that had gone across the face of his goal.

Literally nobody wants to sign him. At what point will the penny drop with these people?

Yorke to Cole

I get the feeling he is not as good as people think he is? In other words, I get the impression he is a walking disaster.

Dominos

Guarantee it would be a mistake. There’d be 1 goal the Caf wanks itself over where he played a decent pass but all the late draws we’d concede without Dave bailing us out wouldn’t be worth it. Combine that with all the Barthez WTF moments. The Caf just want a shiny new toy unfortunately.
Funny how you talk about other keepers being error prone like De Gea doesn't have a highlight reel full of howlers every season over the last 5 years.

Onana's errors can't be any worse than the ones De Gea dropped this season against Brentford, Everton, West Ham, City, Sevilla off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Nice. I think he alone completely transforms the way we play. Alleviates so much pressure on the midfield.

I can't wait to see the passing map connection between him and Luke Shaw.

Swedish_Plumber

Would be transformative to our play. If ETH thinks he's the right fit character wise then I really, really hope this one goes through.
Would he though? I’m all for this type of signing and think he would be good at playing past a press, but without reinforcements in the middle and final third we’re still gonna be dog shit at passing.

One of our main weaknesses is that horrendous ability to produce sloppy passes in moments of promise. It’s a big reason alongside the lack of a proper striker why we haven’t scored enough PL goals in years.

Onana or a keeper like him will help us keep pressure off ourselves defensively, but there’s a long way to go to call him completely transformative of our play in general.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Haven't seen enough of the likes of Diogo Costa to be able to say if Onana is the best option. And it would be a case of us opting for another player ETH has first-hand experience with, which is something to monitor in terms of how we do business.

But taken on its own merits it would be a massive upgrade stylistically, for reasons made clear when you read Guardiola's comments about Onana before and after the CL final.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Would he though? I’m all for this type of signing and think he would be good at playing past a press, but without reinforcements in the middle and final third we’re still gonna be dog shit at passing.

One of our main weaknesses is that horrendous ability to produce sloppy passes in moments of promise. It’s a big reason alongside the lack of a proper striker why we haven’t scored enough PL goals in years.

Onana or a keeper like him will help us keep pressure off ourselves defensively, but there’s a long way to go to call him completely transformative of our play in general.
It also keeps the pressure ON teams offensively, allows the whole team to squeeze up, we have some players who like the game stretched but we have others who are much better when they can float. It seems weird but bringing Onana and someone like Mount would make our goal output go up by quite a bit, I think you would get loads more out of Jadon Sancho as well, both in offensive and defensive output by being able to keep the play in the opponents half of the pitch as much as possible.

prateik

Saw this compilation.. saw about 5 mins and the goalkeeping part (at least in this video) is very underwhelming.. I swear I wouldve saved 90% of those..

People who have seen him..

He is clearly comfortable with the ball at this feet.. how is he as a keeper?

OleGunnar20

Sure, we'll still need replacements if we want to consistently challenge for trophies again. A functional ( I won't say top class here even, since our current options are so bad) striker with a solid injury record is for me, equal top priority with a modern keeper. CM also needs strengthening, though I wouldn't say its quite as urgent as either end of the pitch.

But I think transformative is right, considering just how poor DDG has been for a long time now. Take his distribution against City in our Final and compare it with Onana's in theirs - The difference is stark, and shows just how much of a difference a keeper with good distribution would make to our style of play.

Red-17

If Dave isn't kicking the ball to the opposition every time he touches the ball or not coming out for the ball, maybe this wouldn't be needed in the first place.
I would love to see a compilation of dangerous chances we concede from the countless misplayed passes De Gea makes game after game. He was slightly better at sweeping this past year but still a major weakness as well as his inability to command his box from crosses. Keepers preventing shots from every happening is just as important as being a good shot stopper in modern football.

croadyman

Saw this compilation.. saw about 5 mins and the goalkeeping part (at least in this video) is very underwhelming.. I swear I wouldve saved 90% of those..

People who have seen him..

He is clearly comfortable with the ball at this feet.. how is he as a keeper?
Presume you would prefer Costa then

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Seems like we are working on this and Mount both at the same time ... as well as selling off Iqbal

So I don't know what to tell you.
It's good if that's the case but recent history has suggested otherwise.

Marcelinho87

Funny how you talk about other keepers being error prone like De Gea doesn't have a highlight reel full of howlers every season over the last 5 years.

Onana's errors can't be any worse than the ones De Gea dropped this season against Brentford, Everton, West Ham, City off the top of my head.
Sevilla... arguably the worst of the lot.

FujiVice

I love it:
-----------------------Onana----------------------
AWB-----Martinez----Varane----Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.