André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With all the ethical approaches our fans take - should a drug taker be allowed at the club?
There's already a player in our squad who was handed a 1-year ban for a doping offence and I rarely see it mentioned, so I doubt people will care that much.

Glorio

That’s wrong as well then. Very few goalkeepers parry as many balls straight back into the six yard box as often as our Dave. It’s been less of an issue this year in fairness because the defenders have been better organised and expected it, so dealt with it more than in previous seasons.
You've definitely been watching a different Dave then - what you're describing rarely ever happens, and you're doing him a massive disservice. You'd think he was a league 2 keeper from your estimations of his abilities

criticalanalysis

He seems like a more agile version of Ederson. So if we exaggerate the bad, he could be a bit iffy when dealing with shots and positioning but on the other hand, his ability on the ball would help our game tremendously.

As long as we have someone, who is 'average' at shot stopping and penalty box command, his game with the ball would MORE than offset that.

I'm muppet excited.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Costa would be my first choice but he’s to expensive. This would be an upgrade on DDG. We’d look so much better in possession and then ETH can really implement his style. If we have space out wide or in the middle then this is the keeper to find the players.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
i prefer him over de gea. but i don’t think he is a particularly good goalkeeper. great on the ball? yes. but not good enough at actual goalkeeping.
We're buying a goalkeeper first and foremost. If he's great on the ball he should play outfield.

dinostar77

That’s wrong as well then. Very few goalkeepers parry as many balls straight back into the six yard box as often as our Dave. It’s been less of an issue this year in fairness because the defenders have been better organised and expected it, so dealt with it more than in previous seasons.
What an absolute load of rubbish. Have you ever watched de gea play? He doesnt parry the ball back into the six yard box.

OverratedOpinion

I've watched him play exactly twice. Once in the Europa League final and once in the Champions League final.

I can confirm he was perfectly fine both times.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This post is a bit clueless but hey. I'm all for upgrading on Dave but lets not make things up.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

What an absolute load of rubbish. Have you ever watched de gea play? He doesnt parry the ball back into the six yard box.
He does buddy. He used to parry left and right of the post more but in the last two years he's been parrying into his own 6 yard box. I imagine its the flight of the new balls hes struggling with.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Let's not downplay De Gea's effectiveness over the years. He's been phenomenal. He's started a slow decline and more importantly, he just doesn't fit the coaches playing style. United were absolutely lost trying to play out from the back and that had a lot to do with De Gea not being confident with his feet.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Let's not downplay De Gea's effectiveness over the years. He's been phenomenal. He's started a slow decline and more importantly, he just doesn't fit the coaches playing style. United were absolutely lost trying to play out from the back and that had a lot to do with De Gea not being confident with his feet.
De Gea gets the blame for this for the occasional hilarious mishap, but our midfield not always showing for the ball has made it impossible for de Gea and the defence to succeed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was hardly slow. Literally went from probably one of the best shot-stopping seasons of all time, to utterly falling apart in the World Cup two months later and being fairly poor ever since. It was one of the most sudden and significant declines I've ever seen a footballer have (barring career-changing injuries).

croadyman

It was hardly slow. Literally went from probably one of the best shot-stopping seasons of all time, to utterly falling apart in the World Cup two months later and being fairly poor ever since. It was one of the most sudden and significant declines I've ever seen a footballer have (barring career-changing injuries).
Yeah it's sad but De Gea just hasn't been the same since that first game of 2018 World Cup

JB7

I stand behind him literally every week, he does parry a lot out and doesn’t get great distance or positioning with them. Why else would we see so many of the supposedly brilliant double or triple close range saves if he got them all clear first time? :rolleyes:

Bondi77

Well he knows more than a random bloke on a forum that has seen a youtube video of Onana.

I trust the manager and his judgement, and he knows Onana. How naive i am!
Everyone on here is random unless you happen to know them personally.

croadyman

After watching Howson's The case for Andre Onana video will admit I am worried about him not being comfortable on crosses

Great post. He was the best keeper in the world in 2017/2018 bar none due to his sensational shot stopping.

Since that Ronaldo hattrick at WC2018 he’s been bang average. And he developed a trend to bottle in important games.

Alongside the development of the modern game, and his inability to command his area and catch a cross, he’s been left behind.

Thank you DDG, you time has been up and now it’s up.

Onana will be such a substantial upgrade, people will be shocked.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I've watched him play exactly twice. Once in the Europa League final and once in the Champions League final.

I can confirm he was perfectly fine both times.
I'm also happy to confirm I have seen Costa play twice and he looked terrible, so Onana all day long.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Very much doubt there is anything in this one. Just an easy rumour to make after a decent display in the CL final.

Mcking

Those punches and saves back into dangerous areas definitely look worrying. Doesn't look secure with his handling.

twitter thread suggester
I assume this has been posted before.
some of these howlers are embarrassing.

spiriticon

I actually don't think he is better than De Gea but we do need another keeper.

Sigh...this club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A lot of these new keepers who are great with their feet are dodgy with their hands or general decision making.
Ederson for example gets away with a lot of howlers.
Modern coaches are willing to overlook it for their ball playing ability.
If you are looking for the perfect keeper, you are wasting your time.

izec

I assume this has been posted before.
some of these howlers are embarrassing.
I dont mind him doing 2-3 howlers per season, i mean De Gea has been doing it consistently for the last 5 years, even at a high rate compared to other keepers in the league. As long as he provides the goods and what we bought him form, i can live with a couple of clangers. That is the tradeoff i am willing to take, because we will be better off as a team than some dude with some less howlers, but zero ability in passing and controlling the box.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Personal opinion. When we played Ajax in the EL or when I watched them in the CL, his GK work didn't stand out to me.

I haven't followed him in Italy though, maybe he's turned into a monster.
Hes not a monster but hes alot better than DDG.
Comes off his line to claim crosses and to sweep and is a good shot stopper.
DDG is one of the worst keepers in Europe for dealing with crosses.
Thats without mentioning his distribution.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but if hes available for a decent fee I would be happy for him to join.

Rolaholic

A lot of these new keepers who are great with their feet are dodgy with their hands or general decision making.
Ederson for example gets away with a lot of howlers.
Modern coaches are willing to overlook it for their ball playing ability.
If you are looking for the perfect keeper, you are wasting your time.
Allison too but their strengths on the ball always outweigh all that

Status
Not open for further replies.