André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplate warrior

I agree, this is what makes me nervous. There is too much focus on playing out from the back and not enough on how the player is between the sticks, which should be his primary function.
Remember folks, goalkeepers are goalkeepers because they can’t play football. :nervous:
We also won't concede anywhere near as many chances either.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I agree, this is what makes me nervous. There is too much focus on playing out from the back and not enough on how the player is between the sticks, which should be his primary function.
Remember folks, goalkeepers are goalkeepers because they can’t play football. :nervous:
This stone age level of argument needs to die. The game has evolved and its very easy to see how important it is to have a proactive GK.

Its not like our no.1 was flawless last year. Numerous blunders and then inability to command his box and was an easy target for the opposition.

dubplate warrior

Why?

We are still one injury away from maguire in the middle of our defence.
He's 5th choice? We won't concede anywhere as many chances because we have a keeper who can pass and as a result we won't suffer as many transitions. Our play out of the first phase will transform with Onana and we will finally be able to play through a high press.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why?

We are still one injury away from maguire in the middle of our defence.
I mean, that's just not true, given we had our main two CBs injured for a considerable period last season and EtH still didn't play Maguire and opted for Lindelof and Shaw instead.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
very error prone keeper. a good keeper, absolutely. but his mental lapses are wild at times, esp with crosses and such.

worldinmotion66

Offer £40m, leave it on the table and walk away. They signed him on a free a year ago, they need money, he wants to join us, and they’ve reportedly found his replacement. They will fold first.

There are also alternatives out there for cheaper that have premier league experience and can do a job if they call our bluff

Big Ray

very error prone keeper. a good keeper, absolutely. but his mental lapses are wild at times, esp with crosses and such.
Thought I seen stats recently that recorded 0 errors for him last season?

BorisManUtd

Our first preseason game is on 12th July so you wouldn't expect this deal to be done by then but next game vs Lyon is on 19th and I do believe he could be part of the team by then. Get this done over next 10 days and concentrate on selling players to make way for a striker and potentially another midfielder (Amrabat etc.).

Last edited:

WPMUFC

UK media been edging for a week because they wanted to do all the Mason Mount coverage first.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This stone age level of argument needs to die. The game has evolved and its very easy to see how important it is to have a proactive GK.

Its not like our no.1 was flawless last year. Numerous blunders and then inability to command his box and was an easy target for the opposition.
This all goes out of the window when you concede a goal you shouldn't.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I've just come to the weird realization that if this transfer is done I know more about the abilities of this United team then I do about my own team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
After this I expect a striker & then cheaper another midfielder
I think it has a lot to with who we sell. Onana and Mount seem like the clear must haves, then we appear to be very flexible - especially with the left wing rumour.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Ederson is shocking at goalkeeping.

He's brilliant with the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There isn't a single metric that can support that statement. We won more, scored more, defended better, broke down defences better, and improved league table position.
This is the Onana thread or I would've delved deeper into the wreck of a team Solskjaer created after claiming in a press conference about wanting to play a high line like Liverpool. And after having the highest net spend in the league in his time at the club, he still didn't close to implementing a high line.

And hence when he tried to play more expansive football in his 3rd full season after signing Varane, the wheels completely fell off. And if you want to continue this discussion in a relevant thread then respond to me in a relevant Solskjaer thread and I will delve deeper into the mess Solskjaer created by signing players who just didn't fit into the high defensive line he spoke about creating.

But as this is the Onana thread, I hope we end up signing the player. And hopefully we can come to a agreement with Inter soon.

Last edited:

Santos J

Nice, think this will get done fairly quick now with us seemingly not being too far apart in valuation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Delighted that Whitwell is finally reporting on it. Should get done, not far off. Great signing if it goes through.

Rolaholic

If offered at the same price, who would you prefer between Onana and Diogo Costa?
I don't trust Costa's nerves the same as De Gea

He might be a better shot stopper similarly but I don't feel that's enough to overlook the potential big match lapses

L1nk

If offered at the same price, who would you prefer between Onana and Diogo Costa?
Costa for the longevity aspect, but they are both pretty great. Onana probably more confident in himself which we could really do with.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So seeing as they are reporting in pounds in euros, 60m is £51m, so just a 12m gap

Status
Not open for further replies.