---------Wilson
Depay--Pereira--Januzaj

Very interchangeable.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I think Van Gaal has mentioned this a few times but Pereira is pretty much considered a squad member of the first team now. Also it seemed the reasoning to why he took so long to sign the contact extension was because of the worry of not getting any chances at the first team. You would have to image that with him signing the extension he's pretty confident of getting chances next season.
That seems entirely plausible mate. However, Van Gaal has certain short term sporting targets to meet, especially after spending big amounts of money - with more to come this summer. Which ultimately might mean fewer opportunities (and less margin for error) for the likes of Andreas this coming season. We've seen Januzaj's progression come to a standstill with infrequent first team playing time combined with inconsistency (which Van Gaal often abhors), so I'm a bit wary of the whole situation recurring.

If the likes of Pereira aren't regularly turning out for the first team, Louis will inevitably stick them in the reserves, which isn't the greatest level of competition by all means (as opposed to a season long loan at say PSV - who are expected to contend for the title, and play a similar scheme as Van Gaal under Cocu). On some levels, retaining players on the cusp of first team football at United does make sense. They'll slowly be integrated into the team, will have a much better understanding of Van Gaal's requirements etc.

But at the same time, this is a very critical stage in Pereira's development, especially in terms of playing time. He is going to turn 20 this season, and sitting on the bench (like he did last season) or turning out for the reserves won't really push him forward. Not discounting either scenario (retained - most likely vs loaned), but sometimes a good loan move can help a player find his bearings, become more consistent, and gain more confidence in terms of playing first team football.

Like Pique for example, who really progressed in his time at Zaragoza, or Wilshere at Bolton, Evans at Sunderland, Kroos at Leverkusen, even Welbeck at Sunderland for that matter.

m1y2

Ain't good enough to get a look in at United is what I mean. His passing even further forward lets him down too many times. Januzaj's passing and vision was on a different level when he was a regular in the team under Moyes. Consistency isn't the issue not that Januzaj can be described as consistent either. Januzaj just looks far far more talented.

I actually think his best chance of making it will be as a #8 not further forward.
That is just bullshit, why would you like to exaggerate like that? Is Fosuh-Mensah more talented than James Wilson or Sam Johnstone? they are different players, having different talent. Pereira is very versatile and could play almost any position, has certainly better shot than Januzaj and I feel his footwork is also better, more dynamic and better working player, Januzaj has a great vision and directness in him both are great playmakers but from different positions, they need also different positions o play in right now, Pereira will eventually play deeper than Januzaj who will later be used as free roaming attacking player I feel.
And consistency certainly is the issue, it is a must have attribute to become regular first team player.

Januzaj is slightly better and more settled player in A team, older and more experienced, that's true but he stagnated while Pereira got a sniff in the first team and maybe next year he will have a breakthrough season.. but one does never know judging players is always tough when they are in different stage of development, is Odegaard better than Hazard? Both Januzaj and Pereira are great talents, time will tell but the former is definitely not much more or far far more talented.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Just got back from the game. Thought he had an immediate impact, caused the Serbian side a lot of problems. Then he made 3 poor cross pitch passes and shortly after that was moved forward and got far less ball. Not sure why the coaching staff moved him forward as he was doing a lot of talking and directing in the middle. I had great seats and could hear and see him really well. I also saw him a couple of times tell a team mate to move into spaces 2-3 passes before Anders got the ball and then get frustrated when he got the ball and his team mate wasnt in position.
I have seen him live in a few of these games and thought that he wasnt playing as well as he could but saw enough tonight to believe he has the ability to become a very talented player for us if the stars align for him. Live his footwork, speed of thought and movement is much more impressive than tv footage I have seen of him.

Sweet Square

That seems entirely plausible mate. However, Van Gaal has certain short term sporting targets to meet, especially after spending big amounts of money - with more to come this summer. Which ultimately might mean fewer opportunities (and less margin for error) for the likes of Andreas this coming season. We've seen Januzaj's progression come to a standstill with infrequent first team playing time combined with inconsistency (which Van Gaal often abhors), so I'm a bit wary of the whole situation recurring.
I would argue that the Januzaj situation is a bit different (Januzaj has been a bit shit this season).But Van Gaal has shown a number of times this season that even when the pressure's is on he is willing to play youth players. And now already now Van Gaal has said he will be taking youth players on the summer tour(Rumours of a couple of U18's players going)And this summer tour is more important than most considering we've got CL qualifiers coming up. Lack of opportunities won't be a problem with Van Gaal as manager

If the likes of Pereira aren't regularly turning out for the first team, Louis will inevitably stick them in the reserves, which isn't the greatest level of competition by all means (as opposed to a season long loan at say PSV - who are expected to contend for the title, and play a similar scheme as Van Gaal under Cocu). On some levels, retaining players on the cusp of first team football at United does make sense. They'll slowly be integrated into the team, will have a much better understanding of Van Gaal's requirements etc.
Yep to have a state of flux situation where a player is clearly too good for U21's but getting no game time is a concern(It's really the situation with Januzaj now)but it would on the player to turn it around, Januzaj did get chances this season but didn't take them(Not for the lack of trying mind)and Mata/Young did. As for understanding of Van Gaal's requirements. Pereira has trained with the first team for pretty much the whole season and being picked a couple of times this season. So that shouldn't be a problem

But at the same time, this is a very critical stage in Pereira's development, especially in terms of playing time. He is going to turn 20 this season, and sitting on the bench (like he did last season) or turning out for the reserves won't really push him forward. Not discounting either scenario (retained - most likely vs loaned), but sometimes a good loan move can help a player find his bearings, become more consistent, and gain more confidence in terms of playing first team football.

Like Pique for example, who really progressed in his time at Zaragoza, or Wilshere at Bolton, Evans at Sunderland, Kroos at Leverkusen, even Welbeck at Sunderland for that matter.
I'll be honest I'm not a massive fan of the loan system.The main reason being your first point,managers tend not to pick young players when the pressure is on and almost always fall back on 'experience'. Is this different in Holland, I haven't got a clue but PSV will be in the CL this season and trying to defend their league title, the pressure will be on. Also if Pereira talented enough to get into United's first team and make a difference.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You can tell from the way he moves that he's a very, very good player. Skilful, strong and precise. I like him even more now!

Crashoutcassius

Why didn't he even start the final for Brazil u20s? We all knew he had moments like that in him, we've seen it at reserve level, but why isn't he even starting a big match for that team?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I would argue that the Januzaj situation is a bit different (Januzaj has been a bit shit this season).But Van Gaal has shown a number of times this season that even when the pressure's is on he is willing to play youth players. And now already now Van Gaal has said he will be taking youth players on the summer tour(Rumours of a couple of U18's players going)And this summer tour is more important than most considering we've got CL qualifiers coming up. Lack of opportunities won't be a problem with Van Gaal as manager
Fair enough. Here's the thing though - while Januzaj has been inconsistent for the first team, and Pereira has been mint for the reserves (by and large) - the step up in terms of quality on a week by week basis is substantial. What happened with Januzaj this season in terms of below par decision-making and trying entirely too much, might happen with Pereira too given his propensity to take charge, and play with a sense of adventure and artistic freedom.

And while Van Gaal has an undeniable historical track record of promoting youth team players, and people say that lack of opportunities won't be a problem, the situation at United is very fluid so we can't say anything definitively. Will Van Gaal be willing to provide developmental game-time for Pereira if (hypothetically) we sign someone like Gundogan or Schweinsteiger ? How many first team minutes will Pereira realistically get if we're again struggling to cement Top 4 status next season and all bets are off ? These minor circumstances will invariably come into play, and might inhibit first team opportunities for Pereira.

Especially on the basis of this year - where Van Gaal evidenced a distinct reluctance to introduce him into the starting line-up, or even use him as an impact sub despite obvious weaknesses in midfield and injuries to Carrick, or Blind, or Herrera at various points during the season (he played just 13 minutes in the league vs Tottenham). In recent times we have seen some talented young players getting buried in the depth charts, and stagnating at a certain level. So I'm a bit concerned for Pereira from that perspective.

Yep to have a state of flux situation where a player is clearly too good for U21's but getting no game time is a concern(It's really the situation with Januzaj now)but it would on the player to turn it around, Januzaj did get chances this season but didn't take them(Not for the lack of trying mind)and Mata/Young did. As for understanding of Van Gaal's requirements. Pereira has trained with the first team for pretty much the whole season and being picked a couple of times this season. So that shouldn't be a problem
Don't necessarily disagree with any of that. But again, there's a degree of speculation at play here. We can't say one way or another if adapting to regular first team action will be a problem for Pereira (or not). What if Pereira doesn't make the most his chances ? It would be unacceptable at United, but some other clubs might be willing to persist with him given thei dearth of quality options at their disposal (when compared with United). That's my sole argument here, though to be fair - it too is speculative in some ways.

I'll be honest I'm not a massive fan of the loan system.The main reason being your first point,managers tend not to pick young players when the pressure is on and almost always fall back on 'experience'. Is this different in Holland, I haven't got a clue but PSV will be in the CL this season and trying to defend their league title, the pressure will be on. Also if Pereira talented enough to get into United's first team and make a difference.
That is why I brought up the specific example of PSV. The second sentence of your paragraph is applicable to United, and generally most clubs in the Premier League/ La Liga/ Serie A. But Eredivisie clubs are much more receptive to the idea of persisting with young players, given their weaker resources and lack of experienced options. And that argument is somewhat vindicated by the development of the likes of Klaassen, Kishna, El Ghazi, Sinkgraven at Ajax; or Van Beek, Kongolo at Feyenoord; or Rekik, Willems, Hendrix at PSV who were given regular chances to develop despite inconsistent performances. A good example for a loan deal working out really well would be Arkadiusz Milik from Leverkusen to Ajax. This is someone who couldn't get adequate playing time at the former, but really shone - scoring 11 goals, and making 21 league appearances for the latter under De Boer.

PSV have some weaknesses in midfield and wider attacking areas (Memphis' departure didn't help either), so Pereria would most likely get enough playing time. Furthermore, he has a history with the club having spent 6 seasons in the youth teams at Eindhoven, is familiar with the language and culture, will get the chance to develop and improve under low amounts of pressure, plus Cocu played under Louis and employs a similar 4-3-3 system at PSV - which will help Pereira acclimatize to Van Gaal's requirements, and given the gaffer's close personal ties with both the club's upper management and Cocu, he can keep tabs on Pereira's development. Infact, if I'm not wrong @NL Max (a PSV fan) stated that they would likely entertain the idea of having Pereira in their team.

Then again, maybe Van Gaal plans on making Pereira a centerpiece for the future, which would render all the loan chatter moot. But loan deals can certainly be super effective under the right circumstances. eg. Oliver at Porto last season because he was a bit inconsistent and maybe slightly light weight for Simeone's liking, Carvajal at Leverkusen from Real Madrid (not exactly a loan deal but a great developmental curve of sorts), Berardi at Sassuolo from Juventus, among other.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
@Invictus

I think Pereira's lack of gametime this year can't be looked at seperately from the inbalance in our squad. LvG has his own strict ideas about defensive balance and we just lacked defensive midfield options when we moved away from 3 at the back, this combined with the fact we needed top 4 wasn't ideal to let a flair player like Pereira get experience in the first team. Once we have a more balanced selection van Gaal will have more options to use him, wether he's going to is hard to predict as I haven't seen that much of Pereira myself. Normally it shouldn't matter what position a talent plays, van Gaal isn't shy to use them if he thinks they are ready.

I'm sure PSV would take him on loan, they tried to sign him before he extended his contract. Brands said that he would like to attract top talent to the ED and with captain Wijnaldum probably leaving Pereira would have a good chance of playing 1 of the 2 CAM positions. The problem is that Cocu is one of the few Dutch coaches who dares to play counter attacking football and that van Gaal rarely loans out talents. I actually think Wilson, McNair, Januzaj and Pereira will all be here next season because they wouldn't learn football 'the van Gaal way' if they moved elsewhere temporarily. That said, I'd love Januzaj or Pereira at PSV next season.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
@akash02 really loves to exaggerate with my favourite of his claims being "Sterling is twice the player Depay is"

I haven't watched Andreas that often apart from a few of our youth games and a couple of his WC games, but from the little I have seen I don't see how Adnan looks more talented than him, let alone "far far".

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@NL Max

Cheers mate !

Reading that, part of my argument was predicated on the continued imbalance within our squad. Carrick, our first choice deep lying midfielder is one year older. Blind might be a part of the solution when it's all said and done; but and even apart from him, we are yet to fully address the defensive frailties in the squad. Will the incoming additions this summer be of requisite quality to remedy that lack of balance from the get go, and as a consequence bring younger, more adventurous members of the squad like Pereira into the equation without jeopardizing the defensive structure of the XI ? Hope so, but there are still some ways to go from that regard, and it will very much be a work in progress, which makes me kinda skeptical.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
"Far far" was a double type but Januzaj is comfortably more talented in my view. And he looked a lot more talented when he played in the reserves when compared to Pereira.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The defending isn't great but his touch and balance for that goal are excellent.
It was Serbias only lapse for the night, they were brilliant defensively throughout the game. Therefore I put it in the Pereira brilliance.

Trizy

Brilliant goal, imagine if Messi scored that goal the whole world would lose their shit.

Hope he gets more game time next season, very promising youth.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Brilliant goal, imagine if Messi scored that goal the whole world would lose their shit.

Hope he gets more game time next season, very promising youth.
Makes you think who else in our squad could score that sort of goal?. Di Maria or januzaj maybe? Nani too I guess.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Hope fans are patient with him. He has moments of pure brilliance and moments where it all goes wrong. There is a ton of talent there but hopefully we dont push him too fast too early but still give him decent game time in the league cup etc.

ricky-romeo

i think the last 20 minutes of normal time + 30 minutes of extra time during the final kind of sums up the player pereira is at the moment.

a brilliant solo goal, plus some brilliant passing, skills and link up play, but 3 poor cross field passes to his teammates. agree he got bags of talent yet we have to be patient with him. hope he'll get his chance to impress at the US tour too.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Considering he's only just started his summer break, is it even reasonable to expect him to go on tour?

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Considering he's only just started his summer break, is it even reasonable to expect him to go on tour?
it's essential that he does. it's so important for players to be involved right from the off, especially for young players trying to break into the first team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it's essential that he does. it's so important for players to be involved right from the off, especially for young players trying to break into the first team.
Yep we saw how lingard impressed on tour and got his chance, hopefully pereira gets that chance too.

Bwuk

Hopefully he breaks through this year. Would be nice to have another product of the academy in the first team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's saying all the right things in the press as well, hope he gets a good go!

Status
Not open for further replies.