5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

And so he shouldn't be in the "park" position as a squad player. Hes not even good enough for that if your a team aspiring for top level football.
The other lads in here have proven how useful he has been recently, unless you have anything to back up what you're spouting then I suggest we leave it here because you're boring the life out of me.

mancan92

The other lads in here have proven how useful he has been recently, unless you have anything to back up what you're spouting then I suggest we leave it here because you're boring the life out of me.
No one has proven anything. We have all watched the matches here. Perieira is often one of our lowest performing players in games he constantly looks out of his depth even against low level midfields. He is being dragged up by players who are better than him and performing the far higher levels. Do you really think that he is having a positive impact on this team? Do you think that when martial has an opportunity to be put though on goal only for periera to completely not see the pass or completely miss him that this is positive for the team?

He has been our best attacking midfielder this is true. But we all know thats only because the rest (Mata, lingard) have been absolute kak all season. So as long as he had ok games 1 in every 2 then he will be better than both those players. But to act as if he has actually made a good contribution to the team and a player we should be keeping its a joke.

Raven

No one has proven anything. We have all watched the matches here. Perieira is often one of our lowest performing players in games he constantly looks out of his depth even against low level midfields. He is being dragged up by players who are better than him and performing the far higher levels. Do you really think that he is having a positive impact on this team? Do you think that when martial has an opportunity to be put though on goal only for periera to completely not see the pass or completely miss him that this is positive for the team?

He has been our best attacking midfielder this is true. But we all know thats only because the rest (Mata, lingard) have been absolute kak all season. So as long as he had ok games 1 in every 2 then he will be better than both those players. But to act as if he has actually made a good contribution to the team and a player we should be keeping its a joke.
I take it that means you won't be adding anything further to the debate. I'm going to leave this here, I'm bored.

mancan92

I take it that means you won't be adding anything further to the debate. I'm going to leave this here, I'm bored.
Thats fine. I personally really wanted Pereira to be given chances under Mourinho and hoped he'd be a good player at this level. Unfortunately its proven not to be the case. If he wasn't with us its pretty clear he wouldn't be playing at this level.

Utdstar01

Except he has made a contribution. He's created the most chances out of anyone in the squad so to suggest he's not contributed, then you're spouting drivel. He may not be good enough for where we want to get to but he can still improve. Not sure what your agenda is.

manunited1919

No because Bruno isnt a player who has only played one full season and not even top flight.
So you think he would hit the ground running? And as a #10, a position that requires knowing his teammates well? A large majority of the CAF was blindly supporting the Maguire transfer, despite it being clear we should be investing in midfield, and now opinion is swinging the other way against Maguire. If we buy Bruno as a #10 now, we will be buying the wrong position (we have a dire need of a CDM or box-to-box) at the wrong time (it’s difficult for any January signing to settle into a team, specially at #10). The purchase is being done by the Glazers to appease the fans who are getting restless, and once again shows how we make mistakes due to not having a DOF.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Such a short sample size I thought you were trolling. Does one not want to consider the teams we played against?
That's an interesting point that I'll go into further.

The only two matches we've won this season where he didn't play as the #10 or on the right were Spurs and City. Otherwise we've drawn against Wolves, Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Everton, and lost against Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Watford and Arsenal. So we won two of the four difficult matches (and drew one), and won absolutely none of the six 'easy' matches.

Whereas when he's played on the right or as #10 we've won against Chelsea, Leicester, Norwich (twice), Brighton, Newcastle and Burnley. Drawn against Southampton, Arsenal and Liverpool. And only lost against West Ham and Bournemouth. So once again we won two of the four difficult matches (and drew both the others), and won five of the eight 'easy' matches.

So with him we have a slightly better record against the good teams (and I'd say his four matches have been more difficult than the four without him), while having a far superior record against the easier teams that we should be expecting to beat. To be fair I will say his easy matches have been a bit easier than the ones without him, but ultimately there's not that much difference and we should be expecting to win all of them.

Obviously it's a small sample size and the difference wouldn't be as extreme if we got a full season of both examples. But it's also obvious that he does make a difference, so it's ridiculous to say he's one of the main reasons we've done poorly when a very large majority of the games we dropped points in were the games he didn't play or was out of position to cover for injuries.

Last edited:

mancan92

Except he has made a contribution. He's created the most chances out of anyone in the squad so to suggest he's not contributed, then you're spouting drivel. He may not be good enough for where we want to get to but he can still improve. Not sure what your agenda is.
My agenda is I want United to get back to the top and be successful. We won't get there by being charity cases constantly. If a player has shown they are not good enough they should be moved on. Heart and running are not enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you think he would hit the ground running? And as a #10, a position that requires knowing his teammates well? A large majority of the CAF was blindly supporting the Maguire transfer, despite it being clear we should be investing in midfield, and now opinion is swinging the other way against Maguire. If we buy Bruno as a #10 now, we will be buying the wrong position (we have a dire need of a CDM or box-to-box) at the wrong time (it’s difficult for any January signing to settle into a team, specially at #10). The purchase is being done by the Glazers to appease the fans who are getting restless, and once again shows how we make mistakes due to not having a DOF.
No I am not saying he will hit the ground running.

I am saying you can expect him to adapt alot better than a player who has only played one season in the championship

Hence the reason he is costing a lot more than James

I dont know why you mention Maguire who wasnt even very good at Leicester

With regards to the position. Bruno can play as a 10 and an advanced 8. We lack 2 major things in midfield creativity and composure. He would bring those. Yes we also need a CDM but why are you acting like it is either or. We need creativity in the midfield as well as defensive stability.

flappyjay

Because Bruno would replace Pereira in the team. We wouldn't need Pereira for cup matches either because Mata is more useful. No point offering Lingard; they don't want him.
Mata had a good game the other day but let's not wipe our memories. There is a reason why he is behind Andreas in the pecking order

MadDogg

Are you serious?

The reason he didn't play consistently wasn't because of injuries its because he was performing below the standard and got dropped.
Once he established himself in the team he's only really been dropped once this season, and that was immediately after he had those shockers in central midfield. Otherwise there was the Arsenal match where he was wrongly dropped (and Ole realised his mistake and bought him on quite early where he made a clear and obvious improvement), but he's started all the others. He's just been moved around a bit because of all our injuries where he's had to cover.

jackal&hyde

Both the talent and work ethic are obvious for everyone who has eyes to see. He needs to improve his decision making and i think in his most recent games he is doing just that. Could be a late bloomer but deserves a lot more chances then Lingard.

mancan92

Once he established himself in the team he's only really been dropped once this season, and that was immediately after he had those shockers in central midfield. Otherwise there was the Arsenal match where he was wrongly dropped (and Ole realised his mistake and bought him on quite early where he made a clear and obvious improvement), but he's started all the others. He's just been moved around a bit because of all our injuries where he's had to cover.
He has been dropped twice. That's what I mean against arsenal ole didn't "realise" he made a mistake by not picking pereira. It was that lingard was soo absolute dog shit that he had to be hauled off. Ole wasn't like oh Pereira will change the game for us lingard had to be taken out.

He is in the team not on merit but because the others are sooo bad.

MadDogg

He has been dropped twice. That's what I mean against arsenal ole didn't "realise" he made a mistake by not picking pereira. It was that lingard was soo absolute dog shit that he had to be hauled off. Ole wasn't like oh Pereira will change the game for us lingard had to be taken out.

He is in the team not on merit but because the others are sooo bad.
There is a mid-ground.

It's not like I'm here saying he's been incredible and should be our starting #10 for years to come. That would be as ridiculous as saying he wouldn't start for any premier league team except for maybe Norwich and Bournemouth and that he's not even good enough to be a squad player for us atm. Or like the other guy saying he was garbage in games would have allowed us to put pressure on the top four, and then naming three games where he either didn't play or was played out of position because he was literally the only player we had fit who could play there.

The reality is that he is comfortably our best in the position at the moment (that might change once Pogba comes back and we move him into that role, or if we buy one of the players we are being linked to). And as somebody in his first real season in our first team and who has only just turned 24, he's done enough to warrant being the squad player to cover those roles while we sell the likes of Lingard and Mata who he has comfortably outperformed.

mancan92

There is a mid-ground.

It's not like I'm here saying he's been incredible and should be our starting #10 for years to come. That would be as ridiculous as saying he wouldn't start for any premier league team except for maybe Norwich and Bournemouth and that he's not even good enough to be a squad player for us atm. Or like the other guy saying he was garbage in games would have allowed us to put pressure on the top four, and then naming three games where he either didn't play or was played out of position because he was literally the only player we had fit who could play there.

The reality is that he is comfortably our best in the position at the moment (that might change once Pogba comes back and we move him into that role, or if we buy one of the players we are being linked to). And as somebody in his first real season in our first team and who has only just turned 24, he's done enough to warrant being the squad player to cover those roles while we sell the likes of Lingard and Mata who he has comfortably outperformed.
I completely agree. Although genuinely we will see but if we did try to sell him I think its very unlikely many premier league clubs would be in for him. He isn't better than someone like even Cleverly and he barely gets games for Watford. He is the best we have now and there are 2 other players in his position I would get rid of first but I won't shed a tear if he was to leave sooner.

DanClancy

Agreed, would love to have seen Pereira make a huge success of it but anyone who has any sort of idea about the game can see he's not improved and not good enough. If he improves between now and the end of the season I'll be delighted but so far thats clearly not the case. He has a good footballing brain and probably see's what he should do but time and time again he's shown he doesn't have the necessary skills to execute it; He takes far too much out of the ball, more than likely through lack of ability.

He'sRaldo

I remember that match in the Europa league this season, where Pereira and Mata absolutely dominated on the left-hand side. The key then was that he had a lot more time on the ball than in the Prem, and because of that, his skills came off and he looked class.

What that tells me is that it may simply be an adjustment issue. This is the first time in his career that he's playing at this high a level, and of course, some adjustment will be necessary as it's not everyone who takes to the league immediately. What I don't know is, will his adjustment make him good enough eventually, or will he still fall short?

The encouraging thing is he seems to have all the ingredients except experience. Good technique, promising physicality, good attitude and work rate, and seems to want to learn. The question is, can he eventually put it all together? He's been improving this season to a good level (IMO), so I'm optimistic.

billybee99

There is a mid-ground.

Is it ridiculous? Who would he start for other than us and those 2 teams? Who would he replace on those teams? He certainly wouldn't start for anyone in the top half excluding us so that's 10 teams gone. That leaves you 8 excluding the aforementioned Norwich and Bournemouth.

Silas

Agreed, would love to have seen Pereira make a huge success of it but anyone who has any sort of idea about the game can see he's not improved and not good enough. If he improves between now and the end of the season I'll be delighted but so far thats clearly not the case. He has a good footballing brain and probably see's what he should do but time and time again he's shown he doesn't have the necessary skills to execute it; He takes far too much out of the ball, more than likely through lack of ability.
Not sure about the bolded. I'd say it's the reverse. He has the tools and has shown a lot of them in isolation, but as of yet, hasn't been able to put everything together. It's more a case of him needing to improve his football IQ to keep up with the speed of the game and make the right decisions regarding when to apply those skills. That's something that comes with experience.

::sonny::

I invented in the internet the nick name Gareth Fail for Gareth Bale in his first 2 season at spurs (played as a left back)

I have a new one for Pereira and it is:

The Null

Andreas "the Null" Pereira

::sonny::

Pereira, the null

null /nʌl/

adjective
  1. having no legal or binding force; invalid.
    "the establishment of a new interim government was declared null and void"
  2. having or associated with the value zero.
  3. noun LITERARY a zero, a dummy letter in a cipher.

Sylar

Thought he did ok. Do think we look better with three in midfield (he's more in midfield than a standard number 10 which lingard occupies)

mancan92

He was poor when he came on, gave the ball away several times when not under little or no pressure. He's easily up there as one of the worst midfielders I've seen since the mid 80's.
Yep have no idea what they are on about. Did he even keep the ball successfully one time? Just kept giving it away and running around like a headless chicken.

Mickson

Yep have no idea what they are on about. Did he even keep the ball successfully one time? Just kept giving it away and running around like a headless chicken.
And at the end, instead of keeping the ball, he shot like he always does and as always it was a poor attempt.

NoPace

Is it ridiculous? Who would he start for other than us and those 2 teams? Who would he replace on those teams? He certainly wouldn't start for anyone in the top half excluding us so that's 10 teams gone. That leaves you 8 excluding the aforementioned Norwich and Bournemouth.
Norwich have good midfielders of his style (Buendia seems to just be plain good and Cantwell has been scoring enough), but Bournemouth get nothing from Solanke most weeks (though I'd take health Josh King). I don't think Pereira has been as good as similar types in Mooy and Gross at Brighton.

He works hard and can cross a ball but our #10 play of him and Lingard has been below the standards of even most of the 9 relegation unsafe teams. Armstrong was struggling until recently for Southampton and Newcastle could use another midfielder like him to be able to go 4 at the back at times and attack when down, but it's tough to see where he'd really genuinely help a team playing at his current level. Same for Lingard. Even players on those teams who play as a #10 create more and with far worse quality players up front/wide.

If we had a solid, productive #10 this season like say a pre-injury Lanzini, we'd be where Leicester are, even if we look incoherent most of the time and they don't. Our front players have been very good, De Gea is De Gea and Fred, McTominay, Lindelof and even Maguire and Wan-Bissaka have all been sort of difficult to play against if also real flawed.

Ekeke

He's due another goal soon, but in terms of creating chances for teammates this is the truth of his performances in the hole this season. There arent many players in the league who have been picked in that position most weeks and statistically he has done well moving the ball to our attackers to get shots away.

Maddison is 30 from key passes from 12 matches from an 8 position. Grealish was 14 from 6 from the 8 position. De Bruyne and Moutinho run away with key passes from CM though with over 50 each. De Bruyne also has 22 key passes from 5 games in the hole, showing hes obviously still better in that position than Andreas is even though he hasnt played the role that much this season.

El Jefe

He's just nowhere near good enough not even as a squad player IMO. Lingard is responsible for the creation of this recent Pereira fanclub, he's been so shit that the mediocrity of Pereira is an upgrade.

He'd be on the bench in most PL clubs and wouldn't see a second of game time in a top 6 club.

Robaldo

Set up our best chance today, but no one will mention it because he's Pereira

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The nationality of a Brazilian, the identity of a footballer, the intelligence of a cabbage

His assist to Martial was one of the few times he made the right choice, and low and behold it was good

Sp00ks11

Set up our best chance today, but no one will mention it because he's Pereira
Setting up one chance Vs messing up a whole bunch of times.. there is a reason nobody will mention it.

Hopefully we get rid in summer. There are millions of much more effective players than him out there.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Him and Lingard need to be the next out the door. Just totally inept in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.