Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

You raised a point and then said that we should go for two players who go against the point that you raised.

Sanchez = not wanted by Barca
Robben = wasn't wanted by Madrid
Yes my bad on Sanchez, Robben has improved since he left Madrid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Truth is Real annoy me, maybe a mixture of jealousy for the squad they have, and personal opinion of just not liking the way they go about things.

Don't want United to give them the money to get a player they deem better than the one they are selling us.
Who gives a feck who they deem better. They're selling a winger for a #10 and we are stocked with no. 10's while have only shit wingers. Its a no brainer really. Also for my money, di maria is on another level to James irregardless of 4 games played in the world cup, that doesn't say how good a player is.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Can't see this happening, just doesn't look good a club like United taking a player form another top club that is been openly offered to us, because they see him as surplus to requirements
Like Mata? He's worked out pretty well and he hasn't even settled in yet. Also, we're not in the Champions League and finished 7th in the league. They are European Champions It's entirely possible that someone who could be surplus to requirements at Madrid would improve us immeasurably.

C'est Moi Cantona

Who gives a feck who they deem better. They're selling a winger for a #10 and we are stocked with no. 10's while have only shit wingers. Its a no brainer really. Also for my money, di maria is on another level to James irregardless of 4 games played in the world cup, that doesn't say how good a player is.
I care,
Like Mata? He's worked out pretty well and he hasn't even settled in yet. Also, we're not in the Champions League and finished 7th in the league. It's entirely possible that someone who could be surplus to requirements at Madrid would improve us immeasurably.
And aint that a sad state we find ourselves in, as I said Mata is the exception to the rule IMO.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I care,

And aint that a sad state we find ourselves in, as I said Mata is the exception to the rule IMO.
It may be a sad state of affairs. But we shouldn't be too proud to take a player who is deemed surplus to requirements at a club like Madrid if he his far better than anyone else we have in that position.

SirAF

Ageist
Truth is Real annoy me, maybe a mixture of jealousy for the squad they have, and personal opinion of just not liking the way they go about things.

Don't want United to give them the money to get a player they deem better than the one they are selling us.
:lol:

Suus

El Shaarawy, Draxler & Bernard are no where near "just as capable" as Di Maria. El Sha has been poor for fecking ages, Draxler's had an average season and while Bernard's good, he's not close to Di Maria. €50m is nothing for him in today's market.
I think its too much for someone who most likely will find a hard time in the Premier League. And I personally think Shaarawy, Bernard and Draxler are all at or near the same level. Di Maria isnt in the same weightclass as Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, Sanchez, Reus, and the fact that every season he's been at Madrid, there's been strong rumours linking him elsewhere shows that he isnt as well-liked.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thank you! Tail firmly between my legs at the moment, as luck would have it that is fairly easy for me to do though.

As I said above taking my stupid opinions elsewhere again.
I sort of understand your argument, there's a pride that comes with unearthing the next gem as opposed to say, signing Coentrao like we were meant to last summer. I think the main issue was with the hypocrisy of writing off Di Maria as a reject, then saying you'd prefer two others also put up for sale by elite clubs.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Thank you! Tail firmly between my legs at the moment, as luck would have it that is fairly easy for me to do though.

As I said above taking my stupid opinions elsewhere again.

Don't. You'll be fine. You just made a point that some people disagreed with.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
@RexHamilton @C'est Moi Cantona you guys can't be serious. So you'd rather not have a world class player in our squad simply because he is unwanted elsewhere? He'd be an instant upgrade on all of our wingers and has at least 5 good years left in him. If the reason he is being castoff was because of a bad attitude/behaviour or loss of form I'd understand. But Di Maria's a great player, who's only 25 and playing well who they don't want because they fancy another player. Look at the difference a castoff like Makelele made at Chelsea, or Robben at Bayern, Sneijder at Inter

Santos J

I think its too much for someone who most likely will find a hard time in the Premier League. And I personally think Shaarawy, Bernard and Draxler are all at or near the same level. Di Maria isnt in the same weightclass as Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, Sanchez, Reus, and the fact that every season he's been at Madrid, there's been strong rumours linking him elsewhere shows that he isnt as well-liked.
On what planet are El Sha, Draxler & Bernard anywhere near Di Maria's level? The shame El Shaarawy that was going to be loaned to Genoa prior to his injury because he was so poor? On a similar level to one of the best wingers in the world? 92 goals/assists in 125 starts is an incredible record regardless of the team he's in, something those 3 have come nowhere near to matching.

There's strong rumours linking almost every player away from Madrid, doesn't make them any better or worse of a player because of a rumour. There's been rumours linking Sanchez away from Barca for a while, what's the difference there?

What suggests he'll "most likely have a hard time in the Premier League" too?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seriuosly if Di Maria is available for around 40M € he is a definite buy for me. He can play as a CM in a 4-3-3 and on the wings two areas where we need quality.
So can Valencia

Pffff

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
@RexHamilton @C'est Moi Cantona you guys can't be serious. So you'd rather not have a world class player in our squad simply because he is unwanted elsewhere? He'd be an instant upgrade on all of our wingers and has at least 5 good years left in him. If the reason he is being castoff was because of a bad attitude/behaviour or loss of form I'd understand. But Di Maria's a great player, who's only 25 and playing well who they don't want because they fancy another player. Look at the difference a castoff like Makelele made at Chelsea, or Robben at Bayern, Sneijder at Inter
Emmmm....??

pseudo_canadian

It's like saying if Juve offered us Vidal because they thought he was surplus to requirements and that United shouldn't accept because we don't take unwanted players. It's just a ridiculous argument that makes little to no sense.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We've already had an argument over his comments. You're sooooo two thousand and late.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I agree with Cantona. On principle, that is. And because I can't stand di Maria. Or Madrid, really. Wouldn't buy a virus from them. Er, yes - you know what I mean.

I think LVG can get something out of our current crop of wide/wide-ish options, actually. I'd rather further strengthen the middle of the park - and buy a CB - than go for a winger. That can wait, as I see it. With a functioning, or even possibly a very well functioning midfield, our attackers will thrive. And we have great potential in that department. If Aloysius opts for a formation with "three strikers" as he calls it, I don't see why we need a shiny new winger. If he can make a combination of Rooney, RVP and, say, Adnan work as the front trio - well, I think we're looking pretty good. Even someone who has been written off as emphatically as Nani could have a revival under LVG for all we know.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
It's like saying if Juve offered us Vidal because they thought he was surplus to requirements and that United shouldn't accept because we don't take unwanted players. It's just a ridiculous argument that makes little to no sense.
We've already had an argument over his comments. You're sooooo two thousand and late.
Yes, and let the record show, I also disagreed. Don't know how it was picked up that I agreed with Cantona.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yes, and let the record show, I also disagreed. Don't know how it was picked up that I agreed with Cantona.
I bet mic is drunk.

For the record, I agree with Cantona's main point about pride. But pride can sometimes get in the way of the reality; that we are rebuilding our reputation and even before last year we weren't a team that every single top class player in the world is adamant to play for, only a few.

fallengt

Can't see this happening, just doesn't look good a club like United taking a player form another top club that is been openly offered to us, because they see him as surplus to requirements, would far rather piss Bayern off and go all out for Robben, or just outbid Arsenal for Sanchez if he can be persuaded to come.

Added to that we know we would be giving Madrid the money they need to get James Rodriguez, to me it makes us look a bit 'small fry'.

Madrid always seem to get what they want though so it'll probably go through.
That's a laughable statement. Di maria can walk into any teams in the world, there's nothing to doubt about his quality.
Football is about getting the best out of your team not about pissing other club off on the transfer market. Robben to BM, Sneijder to Inter, Makelele to Chelsea? Those transfers say it all about RM's transfer policy and are equal to middle fingers right in Perez's face.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's a laughable statement. Di maria can walk into any teams in the world, there's nothing to doubt about his quality.
Football is about getting the best out of your team not about pissing other club off on the transfer market. Robben to BM, Sneijder to Inter, Makelele to Chelsea? Those transfers say it all about RM's transfer policy and are equal to middle fingers right in Perez's face.
Two thousand and late.

Rossa

Do people seriously NOT want Di Maria? I can't think of many wingers out there who are better than him. Ronaldo is more a wide forward than a winger. Probably only Robben should be rated above him currently.

ravi2

Do people seriously NOT want Di Maria? I can't think of many wingers out there who are better than him. Ronaldo is more a wide forward than a winger. Probably only Robben should be rated above him currently.
As amazing as he is Id still prefer Cuadrado or Sanchez over di Maria.

Suus

On what planet are El Sha, Draxler & Bernard anywhere near Di Maria's level? The shame El Shaarawy that was going to be loaned to Genoa prior to his injury because he was so poor? On a similar level to one of the best wingers in the world? 92 goals/assists in 125 starts is an incredible record regardless of the team he's in, something those 3 have come nowhere near to matching.

There's strong rumours linking almost every player away from Madrid, doesn't make them any better or worse of a player because of a rumour. There's been rumours linking Sanchez away from Barca for a while, what's the difference there?

What suggests he'll "most likely have a hard time in the Premier League" too?
92 assists in 125 appearances in the league in the world where most goals are scored. Since the emergence of Messi and the transfer of Ronaldo, there increase if goals scored in Spain has almost doubled from any normal. You never saw Kluivert or Raul score 50goals. So, take it down a notch. Noone has in 15years scored 40+ goals in the Premier League alone. So, his stats arent as useful as you might think. There is a HUGE difference between bottom-to-mid table teams in Spain and England, thus the emergence of clubs such as Soton, Everton, Swansea, Hull. There have been times where Wigan have been beaten 5-0 or 8-0, but that happens so rarely anyway.

We're talking about recruiting a player who can do something spectacular for us - having played for several season in a league where most defenders give up or 'run out of legs' after the 3rd goal, doesnt give him alot of credit.

To be completely honest, the only stats in his career that could be of any use to us, is his Champions League stats, as they are the closest to the Premier League standard, and 39/14 isnt impressive. Far from it.

I dont give a flying hoot about him having made near 100 assists in 125 games, when were talking about the weakest league regarding oppositions defenses.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Di Maria, Vidal and CB and this summer would be the greatest ever.

red_7

di Maria would certainly be an improvement to our wings in almost every aspect.

We have to consider that he played CM most of the time and as a winger he can be as inconsistent as Nani but we would be foolish not to sign him if we can!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It makes absolutely no sense for Madrid to sell him which means they will sell him.

red_devil83

We should sign him and Sanchez. Then Vidal. They'll all be convinved by our 'project' once one signs. Then we can steamroller everyone :drool:

Just flog everyone else like Nani, Young, Kagawa - admittedly thats probably only enough to pay for one player but still! I love Kagawa but I would gladly get rid for Di Maria or Sanchez.

Who cares if they're 'cast-offs'. They're sodding amazing and in their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.