Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

Hasn't performed well? Or hasn't performed well there? He's definitely performed well, and last season he was excellent as a wide forward, not a million miles from what we'd do with him i think.
Tbf Sanchez has performed well for 1 season, last season. Barca fan wanted to get rid of him in his 2nd season says it all. But I agree with you, just don't understand why some people think we don't need a quality wide player? The lack of end product from Nani Young Valencia and playing Kagawa Mata out of their natural position were the reasons we finished 7th in the league ( ofc It was moyes's fault as well). It's clear a day we have quantity but most of them have been the disappointments for years, LvG won't magically solve it in a day or two, even fergie was looking for quality wide player in the last year of his reign to fix that.

I agree signing CB/MF is the priority but we have cash to spend, why not sign them all?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Tbf Sanchez has performed well for 1 season, last season. Barca fan wanted to get rid of him in his 2nd season says it all. But I agree with you, just don't understand why some people think we don't need a quality winger ? The lack of end product from Nani Young Valencia and playing Kagawa Mata out of their natural position were the reasons we finished 7th in the league ( ofc It was moyes's fault as well). It's clear a day we have quantity but most of them have been the disappointments for years, LvG won't magically solve it in a day or two, even fergie was looking for quality wide player in the last year of his reign to fix that.

I agree signing CB/MF is the priority but we have cash to spend, why not sign them all?
Fair point. But we don't know how deep the war chest really is. If we have money to burn, however, and if we can line up buyers for those players who will become redundant - then by all means, do it. I just don't think it's realistic to expect a perfectly smooth transition in this regard.

Red Comet

The press would have a field day if we were to sign him.

"Devils score with Angel"
"Angel wins it for Devils"
"Angel's wing play mesmerism Devils' faithful."

NK86

92 assists in 125 appearances in the league in the world where most goals are scored. Since the emergence of Messi and the transfer of Ronaldo, there increase if goals scored in Spain has almost doubled from any normal. You never saw Kluivert or Raul score 50goals. So, take it down a notch. Noone has in 15years scored 40+ goals in the Premier League alone. So, his stats arent as useful as you might think. There is a HUGE difference between bottom-to-mid table teams in Spain and England, thus the emergence of clubs such as Soton, Everton, Swansea, Hull. There have been times where Wigan have been beaten 5-0 or 8-0, but that happens so rarely anyway.

We're talking about recruiting a player who can do something spectacular for us - having played for several season in a league where most defenders give up or 'run out of legs' after the 3rd goal, doesnt give him alot of credit.

To be completely honest, the only stats in his career that could be of any use to us, is his Champions League stats, as they are the closest to the Premier League standard, and 39/14 isnt impressive. Far from it.

I dont give a flying hoot about him having made near 100 assists in 125 games, when were talking about the weakest league regarding oppositions defenses.
You should stop talking out of your arse. That would be a good start. Look up the stats of goals scored and you would find that PL has outscored La Liga the last season and it has been very very close the last three season with PL outscoring La Liga at least in one more season during that time.

Moreover if Liverpool score 100+ goals a season in the PL, they are an excellent attacking unit. If Madrid and Barca do the same, La Liga defense is shit. Sound logic right there.

About the comment on teams like Swansea and Everton being better than their counter parts in Spain, remind me which team won the Europa League and Champions League last season?

As for the last statement that only the CL is of the same standard as the PL, :lol:

You should dig up stats and watch some matches from different leagues before going on a rant and spouting such bollocks. Fair enough if you don't like di Maria or don't rate him higher than El Sharaway (:houllier:), but don't post nonsense to try and back it up.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Fair point. But we don't know how deep the war chest really is. If we have money to burn, however, and if we can line up buyers for those players who will become redundant - then by all means, do it. I just don't think it's realistic to expect a perfectly smooth transition in this regard.
That would the case if we didnt have Van Gaal though. Its gonna be all brand new for him too, so all the players - apart from RVP, he wont have seen in training etc..

Of course new player need time to settle in - new city for their families etc.. but Van Gaal seems to have a magic wand in garnering team spirit & makin sure all his players are feelin good outside of football too.

I've no doubts whatsoever, that if we sign a shitload of players & get rid of some aswell, the team will flourish next season under this new regime. The more players in, that are better quality & of better mentality than what we have (which is a lengthy list), is a no-brainer decision for me.

I've no worries about us doin a Spurs last season with all the players they brought in at the same time - they used their funds to the best of their ability. They've a new manager now though - a better one that Villas Boas & that gobshite Sherwood, so i think they'll do alot better this season. United are a much bigger proposition to any player than Spurs are anyway, so the players they signed last summer may have been under-whelmed when the dust settled.

Our new players coming in will be overwhelmed at the start, from the enormity of the club & the players we've been linked with the 2 we're already bought, will all have a great mentality to match their footballing ability. Spurs didnt seem to have that structure to get the new players motivated to excel. With Van Gaal & his no bullshit policy - that shit wont have at United!

Moral of the story - the more upgrades we sign the better. Van Gaal will work his magic at United - just the same as Fergie did for 26 & a half years. Its not blind faith either - Van Gaal's reputation is built on that mantra & look how well the Dutchies are doin at the WC - even though their squad isnt great - far from it in fact..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A top class winger is also required just as much as another midfielder in my opinion. I would even go as far and say, I would rather see someone like Di Maria bought over a midfielder like Vidal. With Herrera already on board i really do think our wide options need a serious upgrade right now. Di Maria would make us a much more potent and fluid attacking team, that would make us genuine title contenders. I would be surprised if Van Gaal doesn't bring in a top class winger in this window.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That would the case if we didnt have Van Gaal though. Its gonna be all brand new for him too, so all the players - apart from RVP, he wont have seen in training etc..

Of course new player need time to settle in - new city for their families etc.. but Van Gaal seems to have a magic wand in garnering team spirit & makin sure all his players are feelin good outside of football too.

I've no doubts whatsoever, that if we sign a shitload of players & get rid of some aswell, the team will flourish next season under this new regime. The more players in, that are better quality & of better mentality than what we have (which is a lengthy list), is a no-brainer decision for me.

I've no worries about us doin a Spurs last season with all the players they brought in at the same time - they used their funds to the best of their ability. They've a new manager now though - a better one that Villas Boas & that gobshite Sherwood, so i think they'll do alot better this season. United are a much bigger proposition to any player than Spurs are anyway, so the players they signed last summer may have been under-whelmed when the dust settled.

Our new players coming in will be overwhelmed at the start, from the enormity of the club & the players we've been linked with the 2 we're already bought, will all have a great mentality to match their footballing ability. Spurs didnt seem to have that structure to get the new players motivated to excel. With Van Gaal & his no bullshit policy - that shit wont have at United!

Moral of the story - the more upgrades we sign the better. Van Gaal will work his magic at United - just the same as Fergie did for 26 & a half years. Its not blind faith either - Van Gaal's reputation is built on that mantra & look how well the Dutchies are doin at the WC - even though their squad isnt great - far from it in fact..
Thing is - I mentioned this in another thread as well - that LVG has some pressure on him to do well straight away, or so we must assume. If he's going to hit the ground running (which isn't something he has always done, be it said) you'd normally think it's a good idea not to implement too many dramatic changes at the same time, i.e. rather tweak on what's already there than introduce a revolution.

Again, I think midfield is key here. If we can go into the season with a radically improved midfield - then there should be enough quality up front to make us capable of beating just about anyone on our day. Defense is a bit more sketchy, no doubt, but he might bring in an extra CB for good measure.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
The press would have a field day if we were to sign him.

"Devils score with Angel"
"Angel wins it for Devils"
"Angel's wing play mesmerism Devils' faithful."
"Angel flies in to sign a deal with the Devil.."

"Angel is really a dirty Devil at heart.."

"Angel has requested 666 as his squad number & wants to be called 'Philip'.."

"Angel's anal-beeds orgy with the Devil's wife shocker.."

"Angel gets his wings clipped after superstitiously masterbating before each game.."

didz

"Angel flies in to sign a deal with the Devil.."

"Angel is really a dirty Devil at heart.."

"Angel has requested 666 as his squad number & wants to be called 'Philip'.."

"Angel's anal-beeds orgy with the Devil's wife shocker.."

"Angel gets his wings clipped after superstitiously masterbating before each game.."
:lol:
Let us sign him just for these

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Thing is - I mentioned this in another thread as well - that LVG has some pressure on him to do well straight away, or so we must assume. If he's going to hit the ground running (which isn't something he has always done, be it said) you'd normally think it's a good idea not to implement too many dramatic changes at the same time, i.e. rather tweak on what's already there than introduce a revolution.

Again, I think midfield is key here. If we can go into the season with a radically improved midfield - then there should be enough quality up front to make us capable of beating just about anyone on our day. Defense is a bit more sketchy, no doubt, but he might bring in an extra CB for good measure.
So you're cheating on this thread with another thread? You're a friggin disgrace mate - hang yer head in shame.. :)

I'd tend to agree with ya as regards to not tinkering too much with a settled winning team etc.. but we've anything but a settled team of quality man - nevermind a winning one, & those closest to the club & including the club's top-brass itself (including Fergie & Bobby) - all agree we need massive changes & they thought that last summer aswell man. If they think that & i think that - the chances are that i'm not being deluded about the quality of the squad. They know better than anyone.

We've some great young players that will surely get bled this season under Van Gaal too, so i'm lookin forward to seeing all the positives that can bring. We need to make way for them to get promoted & get rid of players that have failed miserably for far too long & are just comfortable creaming the club's coffers & offering feck all in return & those who just arent United quality.

Here's my list of players that should be sold asap:

Young
Nani
Cleverely
Anderson
Bebe

My list of players that still have many question marks in their respective positions (not saying to sell them either, but we need upgrades on the 1st 3):

Smalling
Jones
Rafa
Kagawa

pseudo_canadian

Probably is, no one wants them. They are that shit.
Young - Could easily play overseas somewhere for someone like Shaktar Donesk or whomever could pay his wages. Somewhat unlikely but not impossible to offload.
Nani - Juve has obviously been interested, and I could see a decent handful of teams taking a punt on him at the right price
Cleverley - Would thrive for a top Championship side or even a lower-tier PL team, IMO the least "useless" on this list.
Anderson - Some mid-level European club from any league would probably take him off our hands at a low to decent price.
Bebe - IMO could still have a chance of pulling through (unlikely). But from the way he played in Portugal this past season he at least deserves to get a good look in during preseason I think.

All in all, if people think that 3+ players will be sold this summer then they're dreaming. Van Gaal will access all his options and realistically sell 1-2 players in the summer and maybe a couple more in January after he's had some time to look at the full squad for a few months.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Probably is, no one wants them. They are that shit.
Cant argue with that Minger.

I wouldnt even worry about a transfer fee at this stage to be honest - just get rid & give the young lads a chance. Makes my stomach churn just seeing them in a United shirt & i can only imagine the braggin most of them do outside of football, about how they play for a top 3 team in the world & how minted they are because of it. Cleverely & Bebe are excluded from that list, goin from what i've read about his quiet humble attitude - he's just not United quality though..

Young, Nani, Anderson talking amongst friends & potential lays:

"I've made it, i'm on whopper bucks, i'm a success & i'm on a bumper contract to cream it in for the next number of years - without even having to break a feckin sweat.. Go me ha ha ha..."

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Young - Could easily play overseas somewhere for someone like Shaktar Donesk or whomever could pay his wages. Somewhat unlikely but not impossible to offload.
Nani - Juve has obviously been interested, and I could see a decent handful of teams taking a punt on him at the right price
Cleverley - Would thrive for a top Championship side or even a lower-tier PL team, IMO the least "useless" on this list.
Anderson - Some mid-level European club from any league would probably take him off our hands at a low to decent price.
Bebe - IMO could still have a chance of pulling through (unlikely). But from the way he played in Portugal this past season he at least deserves to get a good look in during preseason I think.

All in all, if people think that 3+ players will be sold this summer then they're dreaming. Van Gaal will access all his options and realistically sell 1-2 players in the summer and maybe a couple more in January after he's had some time to look at the full squad for a few months.
If we cant sell during the Summer - i'm all on for a Hiace van & goin on road trip with these numpties.

"Hey Youngie - does this smell like Chloroform?..."

"Hey Andie - does this smell like Chloroform?.."

"Hey Nani - does this smell like Chloroform?.."

"Thought so.. Jobs a goodun Louie.. we're all set big man..."

pseudo_canadian

If we cant sell during the Summer - i'm all on for a Hiace van & goin on road trip with these numpties.

"Hey Youngie - does this smell like Chloroform?..."

"Hey Andie - does this smell like Chloroform?.."

"Hey Nani - does this smell like Chloroform?.."

"Thought so.. Jobs a goodun Louie.. we're all set big man..."
:lol:

RedRover

Two reasons, midfield still needs a player, defence maybe two, that won't come cheap, and we have Nani, Janujaz, Mata, Kagawa, Valencia, Young, Zaha, Rooney who can all play wide (some not v well admittedly!), any of these who we want to sell will prove very hard to do so, can we really afford another one.

Plus just an opinion of mine is that I think VG could make something of Welbeck as a wide man.
I dont see the fact that we need other players being an issue. It's evident various areas need strengthening and it seems the money is there to do it.

People keep referring to a list of players. Mata and Rooney are not wide players and neither is Kagawa. Nani and Young could both be headed for the exit door - probably Zaha as well who had shown very little since he joined. I definitely don't think LVG will turn down a top wide player to rely on a player who he's probably never seen simply because he's already there.

You're entitled to your opinion but for me Welbeck will never be a wide player. Can't run quickly enough with the ball, hasn't got a trick or a decent enough delivery. He's a forward - whether he gets any game time up front I don't know.

I see no reason why LVG wouldn't want to add a quality winger. The club wants to push in and is seemingly ambitious. Deadwood will be moved on, on loan or permanently as part of the rebuild. You don't not bring in quality just because you have players who can be crowbarred into those positions.

Ace of Spades

I dont see the fact that we need other players being an issue. It's evident various areas need strengthening and it seems the money is there to do it.

People keep referring to a list of players. Mata and Rooney are not wide players and neither is Kagawa. Nani and Young could both be headed for the exit door - probably Zaha as well who had shown very little since he joined. I definitely don't think LVG will turn down a top wide player to rely on a player who he's probably never seen simply because he's already there.

You're entitled to your opinion but for me Welbeck will never be a wide player. Can't run quickly enough with the ball, hasn't got a trick or a decent enough delivery. He's a forward - whether he gets any game time up front I don't know.

I see no reason why LVG wouldn't want to add a quality winger. The club wants to push in and is seemingly ambitious. Deadwood will be moved on, on loan or permanently as part of the rebuild. You don't not bring in quality just because you have players who can be crowbarred into those positions.
Good post.

I have never liked us trying to shoe horn players where they are just not suited to, and the rest of our actual wingers are poor.

A quality winger is needed, and it is good to see us being linked to quality wingers like Sanchez, Di Maria and Cuadrado.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I've not decided if I want him yet. Does he even play on the wings or would he play in a 3 men midfield? I think there are better options

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'd be going for him in a heartbeat. I know some people say a winger is not a priority, but next season, if we get back into the CL, surely it would be, because right now, our wingers are poor.

The problem is, the likes of Sanchez or Di Maria may not be available, whereas they are right now, and are both quality wingers

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I've not decided if I want him yet. Does he even play on the wings or would he play in a 3 men midfield? I think there are better options
He's a magnificent winger and has further developed his game, now he is just as good playing narrower.

Plugsy

I'm still sceptical of our genuine interest. His agent seems to be drumming this up and leaking far too much for a deal that's done. It seems to me that he's trying to oversell the player to us in a hope we bite but as I've said before, if Di Maria wasn't on van Gaal's original target list surely the fact he's now been touted as free won't make a difference. We won't abandon those ear-marked by the manager as presumably preferable to Di Maria (and others) in the position just because he's now being flogged off because Madrid want to make room for someone else.

Surely we won't allow ourselves to become completely deviated from the players we had intended to sign and target just because another club or a player's agent says we can have someone else. Not only that but I'd not be hugely pleased if our transfer policy was to target players we wanted and then change our minds if Real Madrid say "jump"

RedRover

Good post.

I have never liked us trying to shoe horn players where they are just not suited to, and the rest of our actual wingers are poor.

A quality winger is needed, and it is good to see us being linked to quality wingers like Sanchez, Di Maria and Cuadrado.
Agreed. Quality wingers can be game changers - as Robben is showing for Holland at the World Cup.

I can understand that some people are concered as to where some players are going to fit in, the likes of Rooney, Mata - possibly even Kagawa (who seems to have his fans) can operate outwide, but none of them have done so with any real success. One thing about Van Gaal is that he seems to set up a system and find players to play in it, rather than the other way around. He may use a system that gets the best out of certain players, but he'll want his system nonetheless and if players can't fit into it then that will be that. He doesnt strike me as a man who will bend just to keep players happy.

In terms fo players playing out of position - again I suspect that if LVG's system relys on wingers then it'll be wingers he'll want, not central players not good enough to get into his side in their favoured position.

There are some players who really don't add a lot for me. Nani and Young for certain - they've had a chance and not done well. Possibly Kagawa, but he's obviously talented. he wont get in ahead of Mata or Rooney in the No 10 role but maybe he can find a place in Van Gaal's system - if not, I'm sure there would be takers for him.

Hamadovich86

I like Di Maria but I believe he is overpriced and I am concerned about him adapting to the PL. I would rather spend big cash on Vidal rather than a winger or a CB.

IhabX7

Di Maria is a top tier player, of course it would be fantastic if we could pull it off.

Jev

Really amazed to see so many being on the fence about this. He's a world-class player, one of the best players in European football last season. He's tactically flexible, can perform fantastically in a three-man midfield and rip teams apart from the wing. He runs tirelessly in defence and is a real big-game player, and he has the pace and the dribbling skills to decide a match on his own. We should jump at the chance to sign him. What is there to think about? If we can spend 30 million on Luke Shaw then 40 million for Di Maria is a steal.

Is it because he's a Real reject? So were Sneijder, Robben, Makelele and van der Vaart. Besides, Angel Di Maria was arguably their best, second-best or third-best player last season (take your pick between him, Modric and Ronaldo). If Real want him out, it says more about them than it does about Di Maria.

NMF

Our wide areas are in bid shape we should go all out for Di Maria. Everyone talks about the amount of attacking players we have but our natural wide players are poor and it won't make much difference playing the likes of Kagawa, Mata or Rooney there either. Di Maria is one of Europe's best players and plays in an area where we have a serious lack of quality, I do hope we go for him and the way Van Gaal utilizes Robben for the Dutch I can see him taking a like in Di Maria because we don't have a wide player willing to commit defenders.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Really amazed to see so many being on the fence about this. He's a world-class player, one of the best players in European football last season. He's tactically flexible, can perform fantastically in a three-man midfield and rip teams apart from the wing. He runs tirelessly in defence and is a real big-game player, and he has the pace and the dribbling skills to decide a match on his own. We should jump at the chance to sign him. What is there to think about? If we can spend 30 million on Luke Shaw then 40 million for Di Maria is a steal.

Is it because he's a Real reject? So were Sneijder, Robben, Makelele and van der Vaart. Besides, Angel Di Maria was arguably their best, second-best or third-best player last season (take your pick between him, Modric and Ronaldo). If Real want him out, it says more about them than it does about Di Maria.
All this is correct. To say the lad never tires is an understatement, he honestly looks like he could run a marathon every day of the year. His energy and pace is endless.

Shark

@NotShark
I like Di Maria but I believe he is overpriced and I am concerned about him adapting to the PL. I would rather spend big cash on Vidal rather than a winger or a CB.
It's completely baffling to me how anybody could even think this. He's a world class winger and his game would be perfect for the Premier League. It's a fecking no-brainer if he is available.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If we can get Di Maria we should. Last season was his best ever IMO. He adapted incredibly to being moved into midfield and still made driving runs down the left when Ronaldo moved in field within matches. He's a level or two above any other winger we have in our squad. I'd actually be willing to sell pretty much all of our wingers, excluding Adnan, to get Di Maria.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It's completely baffling to me how anybody could even think this. He's a world class winger and his game would be perfect for the Premier League. It's a fecking no-brainer if he is available.
I think we've seen with Young and Valencia what happens when we buy 'prem proven' wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.