5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

M16Red

Was poor in last u23s to be fair. Chong did well to say hard to knock it too much
Didn't play Vs Fulham, if you mean the West Ham game did he not score?

I watch the game, he was running the show, the second half before he was injured West Ham had like two players on him.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Was not the game to sub him on in. Thought he should've started but as we had the lead, fully agreed with Ole's subs.
I agree that it was right not to sub him on.

Still, seeing Mata ahead of him in the pecking order is disheartening.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I agree that it was right not to sub him on.

Still, seeing Mata ahead of him in the pecking order is disheartening.
It's not a massive surprise early on in the season. Always takes some rotation in smaller games first for the others to make their mark before they work their way ahead of the experienced guys in bigger games. None of that is very surprising, my main criticism before the game was going with Pereira wide when he never proved to be reliable as anything.

Sylar

Hope he starts mid week (rather than just gets minutes). Would be better than trying to catch up to the pace of a game.

Raven

I don't get it, why are people so anxious if he leaves anyway? I've seen people say that even Pogba can leave if we are able to replace him, so why the hysteria around someone of much lesser quality?
What's to say he's of much lesser quality? He's of much lesser experience, but quality wise, he looks as good as anyone in our squad.

red4ever 79

What's to say he's of much lesser quality? He's of much lesser experience, but quality wise, he looks as good as anyone in our squad.
Was the captain of the England U23 side recently that contained some seriously good players. I watch a lot of the youth games and I think he is absolute class. Cant understand why Ole doesnt give him a go

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The next few weeks is where I expect him to get quite a few matches now that the cups are starting. The questions are whether Ole will have him starting or only coming off the bench, and if he performs better than Mata/Lingard/Pereira have been will he start getting chances ahead of them in the league matches?

Trophy Room

fecking September in a game where we were struggling.

Was the right choice. Come back early next year with this shit.
This doesn't make any sense. He's ready, he should be played irrespective of the circumstances. I didn't realise September was such a special month mate.

flappyjay

The next few weeks is where I expect him to get quite a few matches now that the cups are starting. The questions are whether Ole will have him starting or only coming off the bench, and if he performs better than Mata/Lingard/Pereira have been will he start getting chances ahead of them in the league matches?
With you on this. Don't need to get pissy now but if he still doesn't get significant minutes in the carabao and Europa I would be concerned

Raven

Was the captain of the England U23 side recently that contained some seriously good players. I watch a lot of the youth games and I think he is absolute class. Cant understand why Ole doesnt give him a go
I didnt think he made the step up to U23s yet? Either way, he's an exceptional talent, probably our biggest since Ravel.

He'sRaldo

The world cup winner who is 26? I watched Pogba in the youth teams when he was 17/18, he was no more impressive than Gomes.
Yeah, the 26 year old. If people are willing to get rid of the 26 year old world cup winner as long as we find a replacement, then why the fuss over Gomes?

R'hllor

"Its September" what kind of weird ass logic is that, how isnt September for some others.

Raven

Yeah, the 26 year old. If people are willing to get rid of the 26 year old world cup winner as long as we find a replacement, then why the fuss over Gomes?
I remember exactly how pissed off I was when Pogba left, especially since Ravel left at the same time. I was distraught. Whilst I don't want Pogba to leave either, it seems far less preventable, getting Gomes to stay is easy. All you have to do is play him. He is a lad brought up in Manchester, he's been at the club since he was 6 and his godfather is Nani. I'd be annoyed if Pogba left, even though I see that as more of a certainty than anything, but I'd be out right disgusted if Gomes left because he wasn't given the chances he deserves.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
"Its September" what kind of weird ass logic is that, how isnt September for some others.
A youth player starting off the season below experienced players is nothing new. It almost always takes some rotation through fixture congestion for that to change. Players who have played at this level for years vs players who have like 3 sub appearances in the league (in generally easier games). Its not a huge shock, patience is just needed. Ole has the squad thin to give them chances, and while I would've wanted one to start today, it worked out and Chong still got a good chunk himself. Would assume both Gomes and Greenwood see a lot of game time on Thursday.

R'hllor

A youth player starting off the season below experienced players is nothing new. It almost always takes some rotation through fixture congestion for that to change. Players who have played at this level for years vs players who have like 3 sub appearances in the league (in generally easier games). Its not a huge shock, patience is just needed. Ole has the squad thin to give them chances, and while I would've wanted one to start today, it worked out and Chong still got a good chunk himself. Would assume both Gomes and Greenwood see a lot of game time on Thursday.
I meant more in general, regardless of the senior player in question, i mean, hell, i would put a bucket full with water in front of CBs than to have Matic there, September or not.

He'sRaldo

I remember exactly how pissed off I was when Pogba left, especially since Ravel left at the same time. I was distraught. Whilst I don't want Pogba to leave either, it seems far less preventable, getting Gomes to stay is easy. All you have to do is play him. He is a lad brought up in Manchester, he's been at the club since he was 6 and his godfather is Nani. I'd be annoyed if Pogba left, even though I see that as more of a certainty than anything, but I'd be out right disgusted if Gomes left because he wasn't given the chances he deserves.
Understandable, it definitely wouldn't be ideal if either left.

My question then would be, hypothetically speaking, would you rather Ole included Gomes to the detriment of the team, as long as it makes him sign a new contract?

Raven

Understandable, it definitely wouldn't be ideal if either left.

My question then would be, hypothetically speaking, would you rather Ole included Gomes to the detriment of the team, as long as it makes him sign a new contract?
No, that would be outrageous. I see what you're saying, but I see Gomes as the type of talent that will eclipse Mata, Pereira and Lingard almost immediately.

RedDevilRoshi

Was hoping he would come on today for the closing stages. He’s a fantastic player that deserves a chance.

Really want him to start midweek against Astana.

Tapori

Added much needed energy in our pressing
I genuinely can't wait for Gomes, Greenwood, Chong to play at the senior level regularly.
Unfortunately we have no patience in this world. Could be the new generation that lasts a long time. Gomes for me is the pick of the 3. His decision making and view of the game is very mature for his age and I hope they all do well.

Very similar to the crop coming through at Chelsea under Lampard in terms of potential.

He'sRaldo

No, that would be outrageous. I see what you're saying, but I see Gomes as the type of talent that will eclipse Mata, Pereira and Lingard almost immediately.
I generally agree with that, but it's hard to judge from U23 games, and it would also be harsh to judge him via Premier League games solely. That's why I think Ole is saving him for the EL matches.

It would be smart to kill 2 bird with one stone by giving senior players a rest, as well as giving chances to players such as Gomes. If he impresses, then he'll soon take the place of one of the senior players and Lingard and Pereira etc. can play in the EL.

At least that's what I'm assuming Ole is planning to do, and communicated to him as well, so he would be patient and wait for his chance. If so it would be a good plan IMO.

Raven

I generally agree with that, but it's hard to judge from U23 games, and it would also be harsh to judge him via Premier League games solely. That's why I think Ole is saving him for the EL matches.

It would be smart to kill 2 bird with one stone by giving senior players a rest, as well as giving chances to players such as Gomes. If he impresses, then he'll soon take the place of one of the senior players and Lingard and Pereira etc. can play in the EL.

At least that's what I'm assuming Ole is planning to do, and communicated to him as well, so he would be patient and wait for his chance. If so it would be a good plan IMO.
As long as he starts against Astana I'll be relatively happy, I do think he should have been given a chance from the bench already though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looking forward to seeing him Thursday.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
2 Europa league games,1 League Cup and 1 football league trophy game in the next 3 1/2 weeks.

Hopefully he starts them all.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
How physical is La Liga? I doubt more than the EPL.
Gomes is 19, if the staff doesn't think he's strong enough for the PL (cop out really) then he should maybe move to La Liga, and if that happens, then we'll regret it.

Giuliano Maiorana

Reminds me of when west ham signed Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano then didn't play them

If I remember Mascherano played 5 games for West Ham, when he was so much better than what they had

Comedy gold that Angel Gomes doesn't get a minute, while the two statues do ( Matic and mata ) and pereira is awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

He'sRaldo

We shall see if he gets starts there.

What do you expect to change for him in EPL with time with respect to physicality?
Mental attributes, the important ones being anticipation and spatial awareness. He has very good agility and decent balance, so if he can develop that quickly he won't need to worry about being physically manhandled, as they won't even be able to get near him.

Similar to how he already plays in the U23's, but a level higher. For a high-level example think of how Frenkie de Jong plays.

The worry is if he makes too many mistakes at first, he may lose that playstyle due to lack of confidence, especially if he's always getting dispossessed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.