5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

Gomes is 19, if the staff doesn't think he's strong enough for the PL (cop out really) then he should maybe move to La Liga, and if that happens, then we'll regret it.
No need for that. The good thing is we are in the Europa League, so there's definitely a silver lining to both situations.

jb8521

From what I've heard from someone at the club the plan is & has always been to let the younger lads make a case for themselves in the cup competitions over the next month & they've been working them hard in the behind closed doors games trying to get them super fit for when they get their opportunity. He said Ole is very much about squad unity & making players feel valued so doesn't want to throw lads in ahead of the more experienced players until the young lads make it impossible to ignore them/the older players play themselves out of the team. He also that they're very keen to stick to this plan as they think it will give the lads the best chance of being properly integrated & having a chance of staying in the first team rather than just throwing them in & saying it's sink or swim time. It might not be what those lacking patience want to hear but at least it shows there is actual forward planning which hasn't been the case for a few years.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From what I've heard from someone at the club the plan is & has always been to let the younger lads make a case for themselves in the cup competitions over the next month & they've been working them hard in the behind closed doors games trying to get them super fit for when they get their opportunity. He said Ole is very much about squad unity & making players feel valued so doesn't want to throw lads in ahead of the more experienced players until the young lads make it impossible to ignore them/the older players play themselves out of the team. He also that they're very keen to stick to this plan as they think it will give the lads the best chance of being properly integrated & having a chance of staying in the first team rather than just throwing them in & saying it's sink or swim time. It might not be what those lacking patience want to hear but at least it shows there is actual forward planning which hasn't been the case for a few years.
It is what I suspected I just hope that it doesn't take too long for Gomes to make his case

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That sounds good to me. Thank you!

MAME DIOUF 32

Sir Alex used to talk about Ole watching a game from the bench. Maybe he's trying to get Gomes used to doing that.

Ekeke

That makes sense when your experienced players are playing well. It doesnt make sense when Mata has forgotten how to pass or control the ball

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
2 Europa league games,1 League Cup and 1 football league trophy game in the next 3 1/2 weeks.

Hopefully he starts them all.
I won’t be surprised if the only one he starts is the League Cup game and gets like 5 minutes in one of the EL games. Quite clearly he is far, far behind more experienced players and it will stay this way for a while.

Sarni

That makes sense when your experienced players are playing well. It doesnt make sense when Mata has forgotten how to pass or control the ball
It will not matter how badly they play, older players will always get the nod over the likes of Gomes, Greenwood and Tuanzebe for Ole, it seems.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's hard not to think his contract is playing a part in this. Even the as-yet-visibly-unready Chong has some minutes to his name.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's hard not to think his contract is playing a part in this. Even the as-yet-visibly-unready Chong has some minutes to his name.
Chong's contract ends next year as well. I have no problem with him being introduced gradually but the experienced pros are stinking up the place.

Cassidy

It will not matter how badly they play, older players will always get the nod over the likes of Gomes, Greenwood and Tuanzebe for Ole, it seems.
Not always

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Chong's contract ends next year as well. I have no problem with him being introduced gradually but the experienced pros are stinking up the place.
Didn't know that, maybe I'm talking out my arse then. I agree, I could understand Gomes being perma-benched if Mata and Lingard were racking up the goals and assists, and yet...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's face it, Ole simply doesn't rate him. So far this season, he already give some game time for Greenwood, Chong and Tuanzebe, and a lot more game time for Lingard and Mata. It very clear Ole just simply doesn't rate Gomes at all.

Cassidy

Let's face it, Ole simply doesn't rate him. So far this season, he already give some game time for Greenwood, Chong and Tuanzebe, and a lot more game time for Lingard and Mata. It very clear Ole just simply doesn't rate Gomes at all.
Also got limited minutes in pre season.
Lets see over the next few weeks though, I'll reserve judgement till then

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This should be apparent to anyone with common sense or someone who's actually experienced a proper workplace. In no organization, will a new guy just jump up the pecking order over more experienced pros until the performance of the older guy is really bad. You have to the manage the older pros as well and if the performance of the younger players makes them impossible to drop, then they'll stay in the team, otherwise they'll be integrated slowly.

People compare Lampard with Ole and how he's playing the kids, all of Chelsea's kids are 21, ours are 17, 18 or 19 year olds. People need to have patience.

For every Rooney or Ronaldo, who excelled after being thrust in as a teenager, there's a Januzaj or a Wilson who suffered from being thrust into the first team when they weren't totally ready for it.

Cassidy

This should be apparent to anyone with common sense or someone who's actually experienced a proper workplace. In no organization, will a new guy just jump up the pecking order over more experienced pros until the performance of the older guy is really bad. You have to the manage the older pros as well and if the performance of the younger players makes them impossible to drop, then they'll stay in the team, otherwise they'll be integrated slowly.

People compare Lampard with Ole and how he's playing the kids, all of Chelsea's kids are 21, ours are 17, 18 or 19 year olds. People need to have patience.

For every Rooney or Ronaldo, who excelled after being thrust in as a teenager, there's a Januzaj or a Wilson who suffered from being thrust into the first team when they weren't totally ready for it.
This happened already ages ago and we saw it in pre season too

R'hllor

Only in United they aint strong/big/tall enough, midgets playing elsewhere just fine, we are really special.

King7Eric

This happened already ages ago and we saw it in pre season too
As everyone here doesn't hesitate to point out, performance in pre season doesn't count. Plus, it's a new season and if we've given Mata a new contract, we have to play him at least initially. We already saw Lingard dropped for the Soton game, and if Mata continues his poor form it's a matter of time before he'll be dropped as well. Matic has already been overtaken in the pecking order by McTominay, so the older guys who aren't performing will be dropped, but you can't just drop everyone after one or two poor games because then the same standards will apply to the young lads too. And being dropped unceremoniously will do no good to their confidence level.

Fosu-Mens

Only in United they aint strong/big/tall enough, midgets playing elsewhere just fine, we are really special.
Since we are not able to play possessionbased football, Gomes will struggle. That being said, we are unable to play possessionbased football partly because we do not have enough players with the ability on the ball like Gomes have. Then again we play Mata, who is useless when the team is not in possession.

Cassidy

As everyone here doesn't hesitate to point out, performance in pre season doesn't count. Plus, it's a new season and if we've given Mata a new contract, we have to play him at least initially. We already saw Lingard dropped for the Soton game, and if Mata continues his poor form it's a matter of time before he'll be dropped as well. Matic has already been overtaken in the pecking order by McTominay, so the older guys who aren't performing will be dropped, but you can't just drop everyone after one or two poor games because then the same standards will apply to the young lads too. And being dropped unceremoniously will do no good to their confidence level.
Again there is about 2 years of evidence before that. Giving Mata the new deal was a mistake and exactly what I was talking about with regards to rewarding mediocrity which breeds complacency.

Overall though I think the approach is ok, but lets not pretend like we don't all know the likes of Pereira Mata and Lingard were not good enough way before the season started

Bestietom

McTominay was 5' 6" and skinny. He was getting leg pains and was out about a year. When he came back the lads didn't know him. He was 6' 4" and looked like a man mountain. Maybe it was all the haggis he ate.
Should give Gomes some of the same.

Last edited:

Sarni

Not always
I haven’t really seen indication that young players would have a shot at getting games ahead of older ones this season. Seems clear we want experience over potential.

Mark Pawelek

This should be apparent to anyone with common sense or someone who's actually experienced a proper workplace. In no organization, will a new guy just jump up the pecking order over more experienced pros until the performance of the older guy is really bad.
New guys in sport jump up the pecking order all the time.

King7Eric

New guys in sport jump up the pecking order all the time.
Of course. It is littered with examples of players having less than 100 senior minutes under their belt, starting league games over established 30 year olds after they have a couple of bad games.

jb8521

I haven’t really seen indication that young players would have a shot at getting games ahead of older ones this season. Seems clear we want experience over potential.
What about the fact that we've gotten rid of a 33 year old, a 30 year old & 3 29 year olds while bringing in 2 21 year olds who have been starting or the fact we've got rid of Lukaku & his place has been taken by a 17 year old or us having the youngest lineup in the league for most of the games this season, McTominay starting ahead of Matic, Pereira starting ahead of more experienced players, Tuanzebe moving ahead of Jones or the fact that in yesterday's game we had a 17 year old, 2 19 year olds, 3 21 year olds, a 22 year old & a 23 year old in the squad. If this doesn't show you the willingness to give young players chances then not much will.

The United

Of course experience is important. We have been introducing some kids from academy over a few last games. None of them actually showed them they are ready yet.

Who can say Gomes will be different? I hope he will. But, He is a good youth player. That's about it. Far from the likes of Rooneys and Ronaldos.

Sterling Archer

Hmmm a Redcafe ITK. I shall call you Snuffy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thanks for the update. Hopefully players like Gomes,Greenwood and Tuanzebe proves their worth in Europa league.

Tarrou

Yes you have, we've got rid of a bunch of older players and they've been replaced in the squad by kids. It's not that surprising we haven't used them much playing one game per week. They will have to get game time through the course of the season, there is nothing else we can do.

NWRed

Of course experience is important. We have been introducing some kids from academy over a few last games. None of them actually showed them they are ready yet.

Who can say Gomes will be different? I hope he will. But, He is a good youth player. That's about it. Far from the likes of Rooneys and Ronaldos.
Physically, yes. In terms of footballing talent he's right up there, he has the potential to be genuinely world class.

roonster09

Scout
We have reduced the age in almost every position this season.

Rashford and Martial are playing bigger role instead of Lukaku and Sanchez.
McTominay is playing ahead of Matic.
James is playing instead of other wingers we have.
AWB is still just 21.

Next step is to integrate players like Greenwood, Gomes and now we have good chance to give them game time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We have reduced the age in almost every position this season.

Rashford and Martial are playing bigger role instead of Lukaku and Sanchez.
McTominay is playing ahead of Matic.
James is playing instead of other wingers we have.
AWB is still just 21.

Next step is to integrate players like Greenwood, Gomes and now we have good chance to give them game time.
I think that's fair. Ole probably feels he's trusting the younger plenty and to extend that to the youth players needs to be done careful. I personally have shared the frustration of many here at Greenwood and Gomes not getting starts and minutes respectively, but as long as they eventually do and are developed well, it won't matter.

Cassidy

I think that's fair. Ole probably feels he's trusting the younger plenty and to extend that to the youth players needs to be done careful. I personally have shared the frustration of many here at Greenwood and Gomes not getting starts and minutes respectively, but as long as they eventually do and are developed well, it won't matter.
Pretty much

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, I wanted Gomes to be part of match day squad and come on as a sub. 4 games or 5 games is too early to make any judgement. It's a long season and Europa league starts this week, this will be a test for Ole and young players.

Hopefully Gomes and Greenwood will start the games. I'm sure that Greenwood and Tuanzebe will start, hopefully Gomes will start too.

Status
Not open for further replies.