Anthony Elanga | Forest watch

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because context is relevant. I think it's quite difficult to quantify that there is more pressure at x club than y club for players because each player is unique and is battling different things. Both players at the clubs and the clubs themselves are battling different pressures (albeit in some examples, similar types). I've seen some players say they found a title challenge pressure tougher than anything and some players say they found a relegation battle tougher than anything. It's not a one rule fits all.
The context here is a player that used to play for Manchester United and looking very much out of his depth, now playing for Nottingham Forest and looking like he's playing at a more comfortable level.

It's not like he's gone to Forest and suddenly looks like a player good enough for a team with United's ambitions. He's simply looked a bit more useful for them than he did for United, and that's because the pressure and expectations are that much lower at Forest than they are at United.

As I joked earlier, the logic that players being "unique" and "battling different things", or as our resident Forest supporter mentioned, having to meet certain club ambitions, can be applied to every player, at every club in the pyramid, and by extension, mean that, by and large, there is no difference in the pressure faced by Odegaard as he tried to lead Arsenal to their first title in yonks last season, than there is for Jaime Walker, Ilkeston Town's current leading scorer in the Northern Premier League, to keep banging in goals on a regular basis.

It's clearly utter bollocks that the pressure isn't greater the closer to the top of the game you get. It's the ability to deal with that pressure that is very often the difference between players. It's the difference between, your Ashley Youngs and your Wilfried Zahas.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The context here is a player that used to play for Manchester United and looking very much out of his depth, now playing for Nottingham Forest and looking like he's playing at a more comfortable level.

It's not like he's gone to Forest and suddenly looks like a player good enough for a team with United's ambitions. He's simply looked a bit more useful for them than he did for United, and that's because the pressure and expectations are that much lower at Forest than they are at United.

As I joked earlier, the logic that players being "unique" and "battling different things", or as our resident Forest supporter mentioned, having to meet certain club ambitions, can be applied to every player, at every club in the pyramid, and by extension, mean that, by and large, there is no difference in the pressure faced by Odegaard as he tried to lead Arsenal to their first title in yonks last season, than there is for Jaime Walker, Ilkeston Town's current leading scorer in the Northern Premier League, to keep banging in goals on a regular basis.

It's clearly utter bollocks that the pressure isn't greater the closer to the top of the game you get. It's the ability to deal with that pressure that is very often the difference between players. It's the difference between, your Ashley Youngs and your Wilfried Zahas.
But then you can argue that there are players that play for fallen giants in the lesser leagues that could be under more pressure than players at Luton for example.

While there are differences I still think it's hard to quantify and it's very individual as to how players handle pressure and what pressure they may be under. It is dependent on so many variables.

Anyway, Elanga is clearly at the right club currently and he's doing well. So is Garner with us.

I'm not sure what you have attached with Elanga but with Garner you have a sell on clause so if he gets a big move you'll get some money back. Sometimes the player just isn't quite good enough at the time but it's important you start making money off them past the summer they're sold in as you've been bad at that recently.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
But then you can argue that there are players that play for fallen giants in the lesser leagues that could be under more pressure than players at Luton for example.

While there are differences I still think it's hard to quantify and it's very individual as to how players handle pressure and what pressure they may be under. It is dependent on so many variables.

Anyway, Elanga is clearly at the right club currently and he's doing well. So is Garner with us.

I'm not sure what you have attached with Elanga but with Garner you have a sell on clause so if he gets a big move you'll get some money back. Sometimes the player just isn't quite good enough at the time but it's important you start making money off them past the summer they're sold in as you've been bad at that recently.
Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule and different variables, but it's abundantly clear that the general trend is more pressure the higher up the game you go.

We've been bad at making money off players for decades, so that, at least, isn't a new problem.

PoTMS

Buyback clause? I'm sure we could sell him to Dortmund for £40m.

El Zoido

If he’d stayed here he’d have been crap, hardly played, and people would be saying he’s bottom half Championship level.

gfactor86

Has now scored 3x more goals than every Man United forward combined this season.

let that sink in.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We need Martinez back for our forwards to score though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was never great, but many of us believed he should be playing ahead of Weghorst in many games with Rashford up front was another thing that goes against Ten Hag who was so stubborn in playing him in every game just because he was his mate. Elanga is at least Premier league level, while Weghorst isn't even Championship level.

Gazautd18

Commentator just asked if we've got better wingers than Elanga at the moment.
This club man.

Idxomer

Should've kept him if the plan was always to be a transition team.

CallyRed

Would have been perfect for us in an away game at Anfield or Emirates.

luck&neat

He's been excellent today. Been providing through balls, crosses and cut backs. Actual winger things. Seems almost alien watching it.

Now where's the Chris Wood thread...

ehizario

Hurts me seeing Elanga do this! Ten Hag is to blame, he's turned good players to average players, and average players to poor players! Ten Hag out please, before he empties our team. Rashford couldn't have become so bad overnight, Hojlund isn't getting the service. Ten Hag out before he sells all our promising stars.

el3mel

Of course this has to happen. Once he left United he immediately became good. As I said earlier, it's time to think the issue is with United and not the players. We're the graveyard of any talented player.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's a good player, will never understand the hate he got here
What hate did he get? Acknowledging that a player isn't United level isn't hate. The fact that our other wingers are cack doesn't change that.

KeanoMagicHat

What hate did he get? Acknowledging that a player isn't United level isn't hate. The fact that our other wingers are cack doesn't change that.
How can you be sure he’s not United level when he was 20 years of age? Don’t think he got much benefit of the doubt and is improving plenty as he gets older as most footballers do.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Another Murtough masterclass selling this guy for £15m. If we'd loaned him out somewhere he'd be worth double that now

MiceOnMeth

:lol: Are we really crying that we sold Elanga? Most were agreeing 15 mil was a decent fee for someone who clearly wasn't united quality. Antony and Rashford currently being even more shite than Elanga ever was is quite funny though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need a right winger isn't it? How much would it cost to buy him back?

JustAGuest

Interestingly Rangnick put a lot of faith in him, then Ten Hag came in and seemingly didn't rate him. He definitely would not be doing worse than Antony for us...

antsmithmk

Hates women.
He's looked class in this game...
Forest front 3 have looked great. It's a tried and tested recipe. Pace out wide, big lad through the middle to knit it all together. All working for each other and seemingly as happy with an assist as a goal for themselves.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Forest front 3 have looked great. It's a tried and tested recipe. Pace out wide, big lad through the middle to knit it all together. All working for each other and seemingly as happy with an assist as a goal for themselves.
Not to mention a press resistant creative and dynamic dribbler as the 10 to carry it through the middle. They've got a 3 behind the striker who love running with the ball and when it clicks like today, it'll cause havoc against anyone. Said it I'm the other thread... It's like a lite version of Bayerns setup. Great fun.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He's still shite and ye are all getting giddy over a subpar player we were right to get rid of.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fair play to him, I thought he was absolutely terrible and Championship level at best - but he's proven to be a competent Premier League footballer.

He's also probably better then Antony - who I'm confident is actually Championship level.

PoTMS

He's average as feck. Our forward players are just worse despite them costing in excess of £200m.