Anthony Elanga | signs for Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The only thing that worries me about it is that he doesn’t score a lot of goals which is the reason we should be bringing in forward players. If it’s just him I’d be disappointed but if we bring in one or two more I won’t be. I think 10ish is justifiable as we can recoup that probably if he left in two or three years and is average and if he does really well we could double it. I don’t really think you can expect that 20m as he’s been such a bit part player and hasn’t shown anything ‘incredible’.

Golden Nugget

I like Elanga - seems like a perfect player for Dyche - hard working and works for the manager and team. He’s just not at the level we want to be but there’s definitely potential there.

Devil You Know

I like Elanga I think he will be great. He was really good under Ole, just wasn't a Ten Hag favorite. Would rather see him go on loan.
Under Ole, he played a total of 5 minutes in the FA Cup and 17 minutes in the League Cup.

Elanga was very much a Rangnick favourite rather than a Solksjaer one.

cyberman

About right. He played well in a shit team, had enough good moments to cost the same as some unproven 19 years old we always seem to see going for these prices.
Should open up ffp nicely as well.

MUFC OK

They have have him for 15m and a 50% sell on clause.
Where is the 50% part coming from?

decent fee, have a feeling we will try to squeeze 20m. Club knows of its perception re sales.

Lee565

Just wish we had sold him last summer instead of pointlessly keeping him for another season

prateik

Where is the 50% part coming from?

decent fee, have a feeling we will try to squeeze 20m. Club knows of its perception re sales.
Nowhere. I'm saying I would be happy with 15 + decent sell on fee.. I think he'll be good .. he needs regular minutes.

also, we had a sell on clause on Garner when we sold him to Everton last season.. its a thing we are doing with most transfers now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Id say thats a fair price. Hope it goes through. Wish him the best but nowhere near the level for United

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That’s steep for someone who hasn’t scored much and hasn't been a first team player. I know Willy is about the same price but he excites me a lot more… :nervous:

Eric_the_Red99

You drive a hard bargain, Everton. But you've got the better of us this time. We'll grudgingly accept. Bye.
"My wife is going to be furious at me but I'll do you this special favour this one time. This is just for you mind, I don't want to see Elanga loaned out to a Championship team in a few months' tiem..."

Grande

Under Ole, he played a total of 5 minutes in the FA Cup and 17 minutes in the League Cup.

Elanga was very much a Rangnick favourite rather than a Solksjaer one.
While I agree about Rangnick being the one to make integral to the first team, I am sure you are wrong about Solskjær. Your minutes are wrong, plainly. But Solskjær gave him his PL debut, two PL starts actually, at a point where many would prefer to see others prioritized more. He played him in preseason as well, and spoke very highly of his future at United. That he played him 17 minutes during the trainwreck of August-Octobre 2021, was not so strange considering the apparent necessity of getting Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford (back from injury) going, while Greenwood, Martial and Lingard were all ahead in the pecking order at that point, and the attempt at playing Pogba in a LF playmaker role to get more out of him and Bruno together was also a priority (which looked rather promising when the season opener contained a Bruno hat trick and Pogba assist quadruple, without neither Rashford, Sancho nor Martial starting the game even). When things went to shit, it’s very understandable that itwasn’t seen as the time, atmosphere and place to blood a fresh 19 year old ahead of that competition.

Rangnick clearly felt that several of the attacking players were the problem rather than the solution, as they collided with his MO. He was half right, half wrong about the reasons for that, has Ten Hag showed us last season. But it’s easy to understand why he would fast track a player with Elangas attitude, physicality and discipline in that situation.

Elanga seems like a terrific guy, who deserves more playing time than he’s likely to get at United. Hope an Everton move will work out for him.

devil99

Nowhere. I'm saying I would be happy with 15 + decent sell on fee.. I think he'll be good .. he needs regular minutes.

also, we had a sell on clause on Garner when we sold him to Everton last season.. its a thing we are doing with most transfers now.
I was thinking about similar value. 15m + 25% sell on fee or 12m + 40% sell on fee would be fantastic .

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
1 mil or leave it. Need to show them who's boss just like how we showed Utrecht when they're interested in Iqbal.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don’t think we can get over 10m for him. We likely could have sold him for 20m last summer when his stock was high, but we never sell players at the right time.

ShinjiNinja26

How the feck can City get £19m for a fecking goalkeeper who has never kicked a ball for their first team and spent the last 2 seasons on loan at a League One club. Yet we’re struggling to even get £10m for a Swedish international who has made multiple appearances for our first team. He also can’t be on that high a wage either so I’m not buying the usual high wage, low fee line of thought.

MUFC OK

That’s steep for someone who hasn’t scored much and hasn't been a first team player. I know Willy is about the same price but he excites me a lot more… :nervous:
he's done more than Garner had done and a similar price. Played CL - scored a huge goal in doing so but starved of minutes. If it were a City youngster yet to make his debut no one would blink at 20-25m.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How the feck can City get £19m for a fecking goalkeeper who has never kicked a ball for their first team and spent the last 2 seasons on loan at a League One club. Yet we’re struggling to even get £10m for a Swedish international who has made multiple appearances for our first team. He also can’t be on that high a wage either so I’m not buying the usual high wage, low fee line of thought.
While I also disagree with some of the fees Southampton have been paying for players who haven’t really done anything, if you look at the minutes Elanga has for United over the last two seasons they only add up to roughly 24 90 minute games. Last season only added up to 8 90 minute games. He’s just not had the game time and in the limited game time he’s not really shown anything that incredible. I think the fee for Garner (c. 15m) was pretty fair considering his season for Forest. I think a fair of roughly 10m would be fair considering all of this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
he's done more than Garner had done and a similar price. Played CL - scored a huge goal in doing so but starved of minutes. If it were a City youngster yet to make his debut no one would blink at 20-25m.
I really disagree that he’s done more than Garner has. Garner was a key component of the Forest side that got promoted. His stock was high compared to Elanga.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If you're on about Trafford, he is one of the most highly rated young GKs in the country right now and City don't really want to let him go.
And look who is meant to be buying him, massive City links just like there was at Southampton when they brough a few City youth players.

Elanga has declined from his breakthrough a few seasons ago and it's obvious he is surplus to requirements, hence his fee will be lower.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's about timing. Garner was coming off a very good loan deal, stock high. Elanga got past that phase and into the "no future at the club, just a wasted squad spot" and his stock plummets. The key with young players is deciding early on if actually make it here as starters/key players, and if the answer is no, sell them shortly after they get their exposure when people are thinking they do have a future. Amad Diallo for example. A decision needs to be made. Does he have what it takes to be a key United player, ahead of Antony? If it's not a no, then you ask will a loan to a bigger league raise his price to sell next season, or what can we get if we were to sell him now (and of course relative to what we paid).

Of course he'll stay, but it's an example of the timing of when a club should be making these decisions. If you keep them until it's clear they don't have United level potential, then the price plummets.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
15m for Elanga
15ish for Fred
15 for Henderson
^ Conservative estimates of 45m in. If West Ham go in for McT we can probably squeeze 25-30m which takes us to 70m from sales. That would be a big help and that's before we consider Maguire and VDB.

70m helps fund Amrabat plus a lot of change. Maguire can fund a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.