Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
There's also Sanson, Lecomte, Imbula, Digne, Amavi, Mendy, Umtiti, Ntep and Tolisso to consider. Ridiculous really. Whether they actually win something is a different matter, but they should with that amount of talent in the future.

Weird, if he really believes that. He always looked more like a striker IMO and his performances suffered out wide.
Wenger believes he was more of a winger than a striker because he likes to drift out wide. Pretty sure that's what Henry did every single time he scored so I'm not sure why he seems to think he would have only been suited to playing the wing role. With their current lack of goals I'd be extremely quiet if I were Wenger and someone else's striker was scoring and looking good.

Red Stone

There's also Sanson, Lecomte, Imbula, Digne, Amavi, Mendy, Umtiti, Ntep and Tolisso to consider. Ridiculous really. Whether they actually win something is a different matter, but they should with that amount of talent in the future.
And Rabiot and Areola. Decided I hat to draw a line at some point or I'd feel like I was writing a book.

Cheeky bet on France being one of the finalists in 2018 or 2022? Wouldn't surprise me at all. Ever since they got rid of Domenech they've actually looked like a solid team unit as well. Belgium and France have been doing some extremely sound work with their youngsters in the last 15-20 years or so. Germany too.

bucky

And Rabiot and Areola. Decided I hat to draw a line at some point or I'd feel like I was writing a book.

Cheeky bet on France being one of the finalists in 2018 or 2022? Wouldn't surprise me at all. Ever since they got rid of Domenech they've actually looked like a solid team unit as well. Belgium and France have been doing some extremely sound work with their youngsters in the last 15-20 years or so. Germany too.
Wouldn't surprise me either. They actually should win something with that talent, everything else would probably be disappointing for them. Deschamps needs to stop playing players like Tremoulinas, Valbuena and Sissoko. They simply have better players than that.

Jerch

Of course they count headers. Passing completion is such a pointless statistic for a forward but in days of post-Moneyball and the gazillion of Opta stats it's inevitable that people would rather use Excel than their eyes to assess footballer hence nonsense like 'Rooney's link up has been good' because numbers specifically show that he's had 84.4214215125124% pass completion which is 2.52132151243125% over the average and 1.25135315523% better than Messi and converts to 0.41241251265124% better chance of winning the game and 0.021515124345% better chance to win trophy. In total Rooney's productivity has been estimated at $4.412412512million.
You really hate the numbers higher then 5, you only used 8 once and 6 once other than that all the numbers are 5 or lower and because of this i don't believe you stats, they might be fake.

Jerch

I would think most top clubs have an extensive enough scouting network to keep tabs on most stand out youngsters or even youngsters with half decent potential. Wenger just seem to like stating it more than others.
He played against them in the last year CL matches with Monaco. He played on wing and i bet that Wenger got an idea that he is winger from that experience, he just want to look knowledgeable.

United again!

You need to put that number in perspective out of 13 unsuccessful passes 7 are headers, yesterday Rooney refused to play close to Martial when the latter was in an aerial dual.
It is in perspective, he is a young and talented player who scored twice. So we move on and hope he improves. Like I said, goals outweigh the negatives. We are all fine with that, it has been like that for Rooney in the past.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It is in perspective, he is a young and talented player who scored twice. So we move on and hope he improves. Like I said, goals outweigh the negatives. We are all fine with that, it has been like that for Rooney in the past.
He can always improve, but even if he keeps playing like this it should be enough to be considered one of the best strikers in the league and easily our best striker, well ahead of Rooney.

Anustart89

You need to put that number in perspective out of 13 unsuccessful passes 7 are headers, yesterday Rooney refused to play close to Martial when the latter was in an aerial dual.
Additionally, passing percentage requires you to be able to control the ball with your first touch and then attempt to play a pass. If your first touch lets you down 40% of the time, you can't trap the ball and allow a defender to nick it, it's not going to show up in the passing percentage column.

RedStarUnited

Whoever scouted him and convinced the management team that he was worth paying over the odds for, needs a big pat on the back. In a weird sort of way, I love buying a nobody because you have such little expectation.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I never realised it until that video, but it's fascinating to see that he was getting jeered a few times for little mistakes by the Southampton fans, yet he still managed to keep calm and collected. How can a teenager be so fecking unaffected by crowd pressure?! This guy is brilliant.

NoPace

What :lol: linked play well? His link up play was dreadful apart from the goals. He gave it away loads. Cool as a cucumber on the goals however, still a lot of developing to do but this is some dynamite game time that he's getting and he really does look like he has the goods. Pretty stoked for how it is going for him so far.
Watch the video in this thread. He really did have a fair few decent hold up plays.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Whoever scouted him and convinced the management team that he was worth paying over the odds for, needs a big pat on the back. In a weird sort of way, I love buying a nobody because you have such little expectation.
For £56 million there are plenty of expectations.

United again!

Watch the video in this thread. He really did have a fair few decent hold up plays.
Hold up play is different to link up play. His hold up play is actually very good, but his link up play was not in that Soton game.
Yeah, your Ole's and Vidic's and Chichas for 250k/7m respectively.

We shelled out some serious coin on this kid, it honestly sounds more like pulling the trigger to obtain him than unearthing an unknown gem.

ThePlaymaker

Listening to Neville (from earlier on after the match) saying that we have to be careful how much we play him and that he should only be eased him, but I'm struggling to agree with him on it. Granted, we don't want to tire him out by playing him constantly, but he fully deserves to play, irrespective of how young he may be.
What Neville said was that ideally you want to introduce a 19yrs old player slowly and not start him every game. But seeing we currently have only 1 or 2 strikers, and also the fact that Martial is our only striker who can offer pace upfront, its a necessity that he starts 95% of our games, which is true.

Rake

Additionally, passing percentage requires you to be able to control the ball with your first touch and then attempt to play a pass. If your first touch lets you down 40% of the time, you can't trap the ball and allow a defender to nick it, it's not going to show up in the passing percentage column.
I was watching highlights of De Gea agains Southampton and in the second half Martial won 4-5 headers after goalkicks when there was abolutely nobody from oute team in 20 meter radius. Stats can be misleading.

finneh

What Neville said was that ideally you want to introduce a 19yrs old player slowly and not start him every game. But seeing we currently have only 1 or 2 strikers, and also the fact that Martial is our only striker who can offer pace upfront, its a necessity that he starts 95% of our games, which is true.
I disagree with that premise. Ronaldo played 50 games when he was 19 and played 40 games the season before when he was still 18. He's our best striker and should start every week if he's fit; resting him for League Cup, CL dead rubbers and lower level FA Cup games when required.

United again!

I disagree with that premise. Ronaldo played 50 games when he was 19 and played 40 games the season before when he was still 18. He's our best striker and should start every week if he's fit; resting him for League Cup, CL dead rubbers and lower level FA Cup games when required.
Wingers are a bit different, they play more of a 'give em hell' position and one of less pressure. Ronaldo wasn't our best striker/winger back then either.

finneh

Wingers are a bit different, they play more of a 'give em hell' position and one of less pressure. Ronaldo wasn't our best striker/winger back then either.
To be honest Ronaldo almost instantly became our best right winger and certainly by the time he was Martial's age he was beginning to eclipse Giggs as our best winger full stop. There's no reason why Martial can't play every week; even if we end up moving Rooney up front, Mata behind and Martial to the right for a few games here and there if we feel the pressure is getting to him.

United again!

To be honest Ronaldo almost instantly became our best right winger and certainly by the time he was Martial's age he was beginning to eclipse Giggs as our best winger full stop. There's no reason why Martial can't play every week; even if we end up moving Rooney up front, Mata behind and Martial to the right for a few games here and there if we feel the pressure is getting to him.
Yeah true.

Ixion

Ronaldo was not eclipsing Giggs when he was 19, that was end of his first season/start of his second season. He was still very inconsistent then and his goal/assist output was nothing like it would be by 2006.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
You really hate the numbers higher then 5, you only used 8 once and 6 once other than that all the numbers are 5 or lower and because of this i don't believe you stats, they might be fake.
Looks like there is not much appreciation for numbers in this forum!

finneh

Ronaldo was not eclipsing Giggs when he was 19, that was end of his first season/start of his second season. He was still very inconsistent then and his goal/assist output was nothing like it would be by 2006.
By the end of Ronaldo's second season he was starting to (in my opinion) and bear in mind Martial is a year further in his development age wise there's no reason that by the end of the season we can't be looking at him in a similar vein.

The main point though is that Martial should be fine with playing 40 games this season. We just need to keep a close eye to make sure that firstly he isn't letting the pressure of being our main striker get to him (he doesn't seem the sort but who knows) and secondly that he isn't starting to get mentally tired (which links in to the aforementioned pressure of playing for a club like United). I remember Fergie sending Ronaldo home to Portugal for a week when he was a similar age and he came back completely re-vitalised, which is always an option.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He need support. I would still move for Berahino in January.
Don't want him anywhere near our club, and thankfully I don't think the management do either.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For £56 million there are plenty of expectations.
There really isn't though. Unless you don't actually follow football and just look at the price tag then sure, but most will know the fee is irrelevant these days, which is why most are "undisclosed". We needed a striker and pretty much gave them a blank chequebook, but so far it's looked good money spent.

CG1010

gotta love when people use the Euro amount to make the fee seem bigger....
He didn't:confused: Although he included all bonus payments, which he should as a true United fan because we should all hope he meets all the criteria stipulating the full payment, including becoming the best player in the world!

m1y2

I hink he starts for the sake of getting into it and gaining even more confidence against "poor" Ipswich side

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Absolute finisher. That's 5 shots, 4 goals now.

Edit: Wait no, he missed one today! 6 shots, 4 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.