Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm just happy we seem to have a wide goalscorer again. Haven't since Ronaldo left. Arsenal went damn near 10 trophyless years without one between Pires getting old and Sanchez arriving. Spurs haven't had one in the history of the Prem.
:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think hes been average tbh, I think he has just not had the support around him. Its obvious he has a lot more in his locker though
No it has nothing to do with the support, his striking technique his average and he stopped improving his runs and positioning. Obviously people are satisfied by his performances since he is a lot more talented than anyone else in our roster but it doesn't mean that he is having a good season, by his standards that's an average season.
And lets be clear I'm not blaming him, I'm just judging his evolution and the quality of his individual performances.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No it has nothing to do with the support, his striking technique his average and he stopped improving his runs and positioning. Obviously people are satisfied by his performances since he is a lot more talented than anyone else in our roster but it doesn't mean that he is having a good season, by his standards that's an average season.
And lets be clear I'm not blaming him, I'm just judging his evolution and the quality of his individual performances.
I agree on his striking technique. The thing with the runs and positioning for me is that his team mates are not helping him, he is the creative outlet in the team so he keeps coming to get the ball to make things happen, instead of making runs. Watching him for France he seems to make a lot more runs off the ball (where he knows his team mates will find him)

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm just happy we seem to have a wide goalscorer again. Haven't since Ronaldo left. Arsenal went damn near 10 trophyless years without one between Pires getting old and Sanchez arriving. Spurs haven't had one in the history of the Prem.
Gareth Bale might dispute this

Riz

I agree on his striking technique. The thing with the runs and positioning for me is that his team mates are not helping him, he is the creative outlet in the team so he keeps coming to get the ball to make things happen, instead of making runs. Watching him for France he seems to make a lot more runs off the ball (where he knows his team mates will find him)
That's why I wish we'd give Mata a sustained run as the #10 with Lingard on the right and Rashford up front. Not 2-3 games or a half.

Dobbs

You keep mentioning his standards. He was 19 when he arrived, having only played four full games in a weaker league the previous season. These "standards" don't really exist. He like all young players is an ever changing work in progress.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Haha. I totally forgot. Bale definitely qualifies. Change Spurs to Liverpool? McManaman only topped 7 goals in one of his 7 seasons and nobody else comes to mind.
Kuyt mainly played on the right didn't he?

NoPace

Gareth Bale might dispute this
On 2nd look, Bale only topped 9 goals once in the league, so while he was a good goalscoring threat, the fact that they played him on the left instead of on the right probably meant he created more goals for others with crosses but he wasn't exactly banging them in until his final season as Spurs, where he played centrally too but scored wherever he was deployed.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martial hasn't been that amazing as he was a few months ago, there is no denying that, but that is partly due to teams now using 2 players on him. Although, there are no excuses for some not so good finishing. Makes me wonder why don't we hire someone like Van Nistelrooy as one of our coaches. Let him earn his badges here instead of PSV

Smores

I'm not sure I'd class him as that just yet. I mean he's only got 8 prem goals and I'm pretty sure only 4 of those were from wide?

He's young though so that's not bad. It just shows LvG/club were really short sighted in not getting another proven attacking threat in to support him, no matter how much potential he has.

Litch

Anybody notice how deep his collecting the ball now and how He's being asked to 'knit the play'....?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Too true, it weirdly reminds me of Welbeck's.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Almost got a quality assist for Memphis, great footwork to create the opening and a neat pass. The rest will have done him good.
Strictly speaking, he did get a rest somewhat since we had a game and he wasn't starting. Reality is it will have been a normal week between his next game and that's not much is it seeing as usually we play every week.

Certainly not going to rejuvenate him after having played nearly every game since he joined us.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I know the MEN is a piece of trash for most stuff, but found this admission by Martial interesting and smart at the same time. I think quickness, agility and mobility are much more important for him going forward. Memphis, to me, is the prime example of too much added muscle weight having gone wrong.

Sylar

Was happy he was rested. Given the game was kinda hoping he would have the whole game to rest.

Hopefully he gets a few more games to rest in before next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally got a bit of a rest. Pretty sure he has played every game he has been fit for since signing which is a bit ridiculous considering his age. He has seemed tired in recent weeks and less effective then earlier in the season... Though that could just be him being vangled.

One thing I will need to criticize him for is that he has seemed less and less interested and motivated on the pitch as the season has wore on. Like he looks like he knows he is the only player for us who can do something attacking wise on the pitch, and he is getting more and more frustrated. He still works hard defensively and all that though so fair play to him, and you can't blame him too much because of our overall style and tactics and how everyone else is basically useless in attack. But there is still a clear attitude difference between the start of the season when he came and now, and I'm not sure it helps his development as there is nothing pushing him on to be better.

That's why we seriously need to bring in top class quality, someone like Ibra, or a top right winger, so Martial has someone to compete with to be the top guy here, and push him on to improve. Right now, there is nobody close, and he's only 20, so it could easily make him complacent (if it hasn't a little already).

I know the MEN is a piece of trash for most stuff, but found this admission by Martial interesting and smart at the same time. I think quickness, agility and mobility are much more important for him going forward. Memphis, to me, is the prime example of too much added muscle weight having gone wrong.
Yep. In fact I was kinda thinking that he looked a decent amount bigger then he did at the start of the season and I'm not sure if that helped his agility.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Very good first half, but didn't have many chances to have an impact after he was moved centrally.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That left footed shot was pretty unlucky, he struck it with fair venom. Yeh he could have gone abit wider or on the ground but was still a very good stop from speroni. Overall tho, it wasn't his best showing but I can let him off as long as he tears Everton apart this weekend.

LouisDanGaal

He had a good game but certainly needs to do a bit of shooting practice for scenarios where he can't cut inside so just has to drill it with his left, he had a few in the game which he couldn't make the most out of, the most promising thing is that he is getting the chances though and is always a threat.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's obvious he's working on his shooting. When he first came, he simply refused to shoot. Still the part of his game that needs to most work.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Fortunately, improving their final ball or shooting is at the top of the improvement list for nearly all young forwards. He's got everything else (other than aerial aggression which should improve given his height).

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Not his best game, but still a joy to watch. Young and Lernin.

Fer

Between Martial and Rashford, who do you think has been better as the main striker?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The guy is clearly tired its honestly ridiculous that hes had to play this many games. Then he has the Euros in the summer, no rest at all for the lad.
I fear for him. This is like Wenger overplaying one of his talented young players to completely burn him out.

Like you said, with the amount he has played this season and the Euros, where France will surely go a long way, we are likely to see a huge drop in performance from this guy next season.

mancan92

I fear for him. This is like Wenger overplaying one of his talented young players to completely burn him out.

Like you said, with the amount he has played this season and the Euros, where France will surely go a long way, we are likely to see a huge drop in performance from this guy next season.
Yep and I'd argue that we've already started seeing the drop in his performances. The last few games he has been very average sprinkled with quality which shows a play who is struggling to keep their level. Theres clearly times where he gets the ball with space and would normally go for the defenders but around the 60minute mark he is dead on his feet and just waits for support to pass it round.

Dan

Quoted in today's i newspaper.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Funny how they left out the part about Wenger :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.