Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That would be from him looking, you know, tired?

He even admitted himself he had a bad game, on his instagram page. Why are you insisting the opposite is true?
To be fair, he was poor, but being tired is different. Maybe mentally tired if anything, and could ideally do with a break as you said. Unfortunately, our attack is so poor that we couldn't even get away with giving him a proper rest in the League Cup to a Championship side.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be fair, he was poor, but being tired is different. Maybe mentally tired if anything, and could ideally do with a break as you said. Unfortunately, our attack is so poor that we couldn't even get away with giving him a proper rest in the League Cup to a Championship side.
He was poor and got worse as the game went on. Wouldn't you say it's fair to call that a tired looking performance?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
They put 2 men on him all the time and crowded him out. If we were 1-0 already then I think it would have been accepted easier but people were nervy. I think LVG handled it well enough. Good to see the player being honest and i'm glad he didn't thank the supporters for their 'support' as he seems to back the managers decision.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was poor and got worse as the game went on. Wouldn't you say it's fair to call that a tired looking performance?
I think it's fair to call it a poor one, that got worse, as you said. I think to call it tired, you'd need to see signs of tiredness, not poor form. I saw him running around up until he went off, sprinting for loose balls (and winning these sprints). Nothing was working.

He may well have been tired, and you may well have detected tiredness, I'm just saying I didn't observe it specifically.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think it's fair to call it a poor one, that got worse, as you said. I think to call it tired, you'd need to see signs of tiredness, not poor form. I saw him running around up until he went off, sprinting for loose balls (and winning these sprints). Nothing was working.

He may well have been tired, and you may well have detected tiredness, I'm just saying I didn't observe it specifically.
I think tiredness can be mental as well as physical. He seemed to lose his focus. Getting caught offside, taking the wrong option, not being aware of what was around him. Tired in mind as much as body.

Anyhoo, we're arguing about semantics here. When someone is having a bad game and gets worse as the game goes on, then it's a no brainer to sub him off.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think tiredness can be mental as well as physical. He seemed to lose his focus. Getting caught offside, taking the wrong option, not being aware of what was around him. Tired in mind as much as body.

Anyhoo, we're arguing about semantics here. When someone is having a bad game and gets worse as the game goes on, then it's a no brainer to sub him off.
Indeed, we are fundamentally in agreement, as I believe he was mentally tired, and should have come off.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
A downturn was inevitable, he's just 19 and it's been amazing what he has already done for us. He was poor last night for sure. I'm sure he'll bounce back quickly though.

Gladiator

Maybe it's just me but when I watch Martial, it seems like he doesn't waste any motion. No matter if he's having a good game or a bad one. Which at his age is remarkable.
His hold up play for a 19 year old is just incredible.
His composure is ridiculous for a 19 year old

Sparky Rhiwabon

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but it seems, from his instagram posts, that he thinks that the crowd were booing him when he was subbed due to his performance

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Don't know if this has already been mentioned but it seems, from his instagram posts, that he thinks that the crowd were booing him when he was subbed due to his performance
"Bad match for me tonight but good win #Workhard"

Did he say anything else? If not, then I wouldn't say he thought he was being booed. Probably just thought he didn't play well enough. His personal standards are probably high.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Did he say anything else? If not, then I wouldn't say he thought he was being booed. Probably just thought he didn't play well enough. His personal standards are probably high.
So he thought he didn't play well, then heard a chorus of boos while he walked off the pitch. Follower immediately by applause for Fellaini. You can see why he might misinterpet the jeers.

Unlikely lad

So he thought he didn't play well, then heard a chorus of boos while he walked off the pitch. Follower immediately by applause for Fellaini. You can see why he might misinterpet the jeers.
I was worried he would at the time, but we started chanting his name a minute after Fellaini came on.

The Red Thinker

I fecking love this kid. Has the attitude of a true footballer with the kind of potential that could see him turning into a legend. Feet well and truly on the ground for the lad.

By the way, might I add that subbing Martial was a great decision by LVG. A brave one. The boy should not be the be all and end all of our attack. If it gets into his head that the club needs him more than he wants to play for the club then that's how you spoil them. Subbing him off also preserved the lad. He's been playing non-stop ever since he's come in and that amount of football could easily burn up talent. He needs to stay fresh for the weekend and I'm sure that was a part of thinking.

The way the lad ran off the pitch without a moment's hesitation was such a refreshing sight. No complaints. No fuss. Straight off. Well done lad. You are my favourite player at United right now. Well... maybe after De Gea, Smalling and Mata.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's why I don't agree with people jeering their own team regardless of circumstance. Very easy to be misinterpreted.

Gerald G

I was thinking this at the time. I really hope someone tries to get it across to him that he wasn't being booed because I won't be surprised if he thinks he was booed off.
I've always disagreed with booing anyway. I just don't see how it helps.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The Thing is that even in one of his weaker games you can always see glimpses of his Quality. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about Depay.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Followed immediately by the crowd singing his name.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I'm sure he understood that the boos were just disagreement with the substitution. After all, the fans chanted his name afterwards. I don't think he's that thick.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's odd the papers have stopped quoting his price tag incessantly, wonder why that is? :angel:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
That's the first time he's been subbed early, and given how we were chasing a goal - he probably thought that spoke volumes that he didn't play well enough.

I seriously doubt he thought the fans were booing him :lol: He's not stupid I'm sure. He's been here for 2 months or so now, not booed anyone during that time so I'm sure he realised it was the fans booing the surprising decision.

It doesn't matter at the end of the day I guess.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You know him, do you?
Typical from you. At what point has he appeared thick? Going by his interviews he's not exactly a stupid boy.

Schneiderlin has singled out intelligence as one of his assets.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He has to adapt to being the center of attention, but still created himself a great chance. Nonetheless, quite easily my favorite United player on the current team and probably in a while.

ZDwyr

Too much pressure on him to create really. Mata and Rooney should be the ones carrying this burden (not saying they have been poor, just not creative enough).

Wade3

Too much pressure on him to create really. Mata and Rooney should be the ones carrying this burden (not saying they have been poor, just not creative enough).
I disagree, I thought he was plenty creative, but look at how many players he's surrounded by. He can't force it or else will look stupid.

Wade3

He being who? Mata or Rooney?
My bad, thought you were talking about Martial, clearly should learn to read even short posts properly and not just fly over them. :lol:

EDIT: Nonetheless, I think it's difficult for us to be very creative with the way West Brom is playing. Typical Tony Pulis tactics against a big club. I saw a couple of dangerous passes by Mata.

Wade3

Best player of the first half. Created our two best chances, one for Lingard and one for himself. We need more players of his caliber.
That Lingard one was basically handed to him though, he didn't have to do too much. Shame Lingard's first touch was poor, otherwise that could've been our best chance of the game.

Devil may care

His footwork is a joy to watch.

That Lingard one was basically handed to him though, he didn't have to do too much. Shame Lingard's first touch was poor, otherwise that could've been our best chance of the game.
It wasn't a hard chance to create but his quickness of thought, awareness and weight of pass were all good, which is not always the case with young players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Funnily enough I think we'd be more dangerous with him on the left right now, as he's the only one who can take players on and go past them consistently.

Jev

Hit and miss but still our most dangerous player. Good stuff for the chance but probably should have scored.

Jev

It wasn't a hard chance to create but his quickness of thought, awareness and weight of pass were all good, which is not always the case with young players.
The pass was underhit in my opinion, part of the reason why Lingard couldn't get a shot in quicker.

Wade3

The pass was underhit in my opinion, part of the reason why Lingard couldn't get a shot in quicker.
It was a poor first touch by Lingard, he simply hit the ball a little too hard.

Martial looks tired again in the second half. He really needs a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.