5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

We had a non existent RW as per usual so Newcastle nullified our left attacker concentrating their attention on Martial and Pogba. Still tried to make things happen, and should keep his place as our LW without doubt.

Devil81

Bad couple of games but we move on and he's in direct competition with Sanchez now so he needs to make sure he ups his game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
For some reason we were not operational on the other wing and as such it was quite congested on Martials side. Was actually thinking to take off Rashford instead of Martial because Rashers looked knackered. Worked out in the end though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Mixed performance. Was our biggest threat first half, full of dynamism but lacked precision with final ball and finish. Second half was made redundant and passing was poor... didn't help that our right flank was utterly non existent and therefore he got crowded out and marked by multiple players. Got very congested second half.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Poor tonight. Way too laid back and when he did get into good positions he always made the wrong decision. Should have played Mata in, in the first half, he was wide open, yet he decided to shoot. Second half, he played Rashford, rather than Pogba. Poor decisions.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Would still start him against Spurs. Hard decision between Lingard and Sanchez for the other spot.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He had 3 players on him whenever he had the ball. Still tried to create something, should definitely stay on the left and I'd like to see Alexis in the right so we can be a bit more balanced on the flanks.

gza the genius

Mixed performance. Was our biggest threat first half, full of dynamism but lacked precision with final ball and finish. Second half was made redundant and passing was poor... didn't help that our right flank was utterly non existent and therefore he got crowded out and marked by multiple players. Got very congested second half.
This. I don't think he was as bad as people are making out, he was one of our better players the first half.

Nep77

Wow some in here are calling he had two bad games in a row. Seriously?? He had a mixed game and our lopsided attack got blocked out of the game with both Pogba and Martial marked by multiple players. Still had lots of good moment. Not the best game but which attacker had better until that set piece went through and Newcastle came out?

yfoFC

Looked poor to me all honestly. Didn't affect the game much and subbing him off was the correct decision.
I don't think you watched the same match I did

He was our best player in the first half with flicks that others didn't make much off, had a shot or two and would have scored if mata played the one-two with him better

He was the last person that should have been subbed as when the game opened up, he will surely have squared the ball for easy tap ins rather than the selfishness on display (Rashford, Pogba and lukaku) or found the net himself

Art

Art the artist
Newcastle were able to put the clamps on him because they knew there wouldn't be anything down the right from Mata and TonyV. The one time there was, Martial was immediately threatening.

yfoFC

Bad couple of games but we move on and he's in direct competition with Sanchez now so he needs to make sure he ups his game.
So whenever a player doesn't score it equates a bad game, good to know

The state of some of the posts in here is just dreadful

3KDré

I thought he looked dangerous at times but there was clearly no space. Should still be starting every game as he made several good chances for Rashford.

fezzerUTD

Martial was quite poor tonight hence why he came off. 6/10. Don't like his demeanour really, seems a bit of a fair weather player to me.

Ace of Spades

Was okay. Some good mixed with poor decisions. Not helped by the fact that his wing was too congested, and Newcastle nullified it by packing it with bodies.

Crashoutcassius

Thought he was fine don't really get the complaints for withdrawing him, maybe that people would rather rashford came off but I think Ole had a shape in mind with Sanchez on the left. Glad Sanchez got on the pitch as we need these players getting their fitness back and getting the rotation. Honestly I think some comments here and on twitter are a bit naive, from people with zero appreciate of why a team needs a squad and some rotation and competition rather than 'this is our best 11, never play this player, this player this player and go and name 7-9 players

Raven

Martial was quite poor tonight hence why he came off. 6/10. Don't like his demeanour really, seems a bit of a fair weather player to me.
What a thing to come out with.:lol:

The guy scores 7 in 7 in the premier league at a point when when we were playing some of the worst football I've seen from a United team. Some how he's a fair weather player?

Moving past the worst post in this thread since September, I think he had a good game today. Quiet in the second half but our most dangerous in the first. I actually thought Rashford was getting nowhere against the 2 CB's and should have been subbed. Obviously I ended up being wrong, but I certainly thought Martial was good this evening even if he wasn't at his best.

el3mel

I don't think you watched the same match I did

He was our best player in the first half with flicks that others didn't make much off, had a shot or two and would have scored if mata played the one-two with him better

He was the last person that should have been subbed as when the game opened up, he will surely have squared the ball for easy tap ins rather than the selfishness on display (Rashford, Pogba and lukaku) or found the net himself
He had that backheel pass but nothing more. Nothing was going for him and his dribbles were always cut off. He couldn't trouble Newcastle much. People just find it hard with Martial to admit he has poor games from times to times.

Andersons Dietician

He had that backheel pass but nothing more. Nothing was going for him and his dribbles were always cut off. He couldn't trouble Newcastle much. People just find it hard with Martial to admit he has poor games from times to times.
He had 2 back heel passes, he then again slipped in Rashford and put in 2 crosses. He linked up play, waltzed past people, should have had a goal if Mata didn’t screw up that pass. He was also a constant threat when he ran at Newcastle but don’t let that stop you, carry on.

Foxbatt

it is bleeding obvious that they would double up on him as there was nothing from our right side. That is why against Bournemouth Young and Lingaard got so much joy out of our right side.

Bwuk

Newcastle doubled up on him as we had nothing going down the right. We can’t play Mata off the right unless the RB gets forward and keeps width otherwise it’s too obvious we’re playing through Pogba/Martial on the left.

Shaw was non existent with his overlapping today as well.

Grande

Newcastle played well organized today, tight spaces and with good pressing. I thought Martial let himself affect more than most, started brightly but has the first half dragged on he started first overdoing it a bit, and in the second half his head seemed to drop a bit when actually the game should start to suit him more. Today it was natural taking him off and leaving Rash on. He needs to learn to deal better with frustration (him and Pog).

fezzerUTD

What a thing to come out with.:lol:

The guy scores 7 in 7 in the premier league at a point when when we were playing some of the worst football I've seen from a United team. Some how he's a fair weather player?

Moving past the worst post in this thread since September, I think he had a good game today. Quiet in the second half but our most dangerous in the first. I actually thought Rashford was getting nowhere against the 2 CB's and should have been subbed. Obviously I ended up being wrong, but I certainly thought Martial was good this evening even if he wasn't at his best.
7 in 7 up to a point :lol: and my posts bad:confused:

Sauldogba

Terrible game.
Ive noticed that he sruggles against pacey defenders and teams that press vigorously.

yfoFC

He had 2 back heel passes, he then again slipped in Rashford and put in 2 crosses. He linked up play, waltzed past people, should have had a goal if Mata didn’t screw up that pass. He was also a constant threat when he ran at Newcastle but don’t let that stop you, carry on.
It's as if people mentally edit the good play martial does if he doesn't have a goal or an assist

Rashford was worse before the FK opened the game up and should have been the one subbed but it turned out okay in the end

What I'm liking about martial is even his "off-days" like the past two games have been quite solid and that's the mark of a top player, his bad games have been a 7 on average and can't wait till it all clicks once more and he gets to pad his stats

Devil may care

Started the game brightly and he links with Pogba and Rashford well, I think Newcastle quickly realized we had nothing to offer out on the right so they clogged up on him and Pogba. Having said that Pogba pushed through where as I felt Tony faded in the 2nd half and was rightly subbed. One thing to remember is that he supposedly had food poisoning over Christmas, he could still have some lingering effects from that.

Anustart89

Harsh to judge him on today's performance. If we would've had any threat from the right hand side Newcastle wouldn't have been able to congest our left side of the pitch. Neither Martial nor Pogba had any space to operate in, and that's because our right side was absolutely toothless.

Jib

better than alexis, Ole isn't a fool... he just needs to rest against reading.

Martial-Rashford-Lingard
--------Pogba-------------

they are our hope for the top 4... not Sanchez or Lukaku.

Andersons Dietician

It's as if people mentally edit the good play martial does if he doesn't have a goal or an assist

Rashford was worse before the FK opened the game up and should have been the one subbed but it turned out okay in the end

What I'm liking about martial is even his "off-days" like the past two games have been quite solid and that's the mark of a top player, his bad games have been a 7 on average and can't wait till it all clicks once more and he gets to pad his stats
Yup it’s crazy some of the things you read on here not even just for Martial. I think that’s it, he maybe hasn’t been at his dazzling best but in all honesty I think he has shown in the last 2 games what a good player he really is in all the things he brings to use when he isn’t scoring or assisting.

In a way I can see why he was subbed as Valencia needed help and we needed to add width on the right to open Newcastle up and Rashford is probably the best option there to provide that and still get back and protect Valencia plus I think Ole even said he planned to give minutes to Sanchez.

Ashley R1+O

Pretty standard for him, when he's not scoring goals he can't really get into a groove and make things happen despite trying. I don't mind that, but you can see the difference in mentality from a Rashford for example. I felt like guys kept moving into his area on the left and getting in his way closing the space, bringing guys into his area. Pogba and Mata kept bringing guys from midfield and collapsing them on Martial.

He just plays with almost zero anticipation though. He doesn't move to get into a position he thinks might happen, he'll miss a lot of loose ball opportunities because he stands there and then reacts when he thinks he can get on the ball but much of the time it is too late.

Bola

Having literally nothing on the right side puts more impetus on him to deliver on the left.
And the tactics allowed Newcastle to shift the defence over, to restrict Martial's movement and ability to find space

Not a great performance, but the team was below par tonight

Hope he is rested on Sat to come back fresh for Spurs

Canagel

Harsh to judge him on today's performance. If we would've had any threat from the right hand side Newcastle wouldn't have been able to congest our left side of the pitch. Neither Martial nor Pogba had any space to operate in, and that's because our right side was absolutely toothless.
It's amazing he does what he does with absolutely zero space to work with because of lopsided formation . Players left tripping over each on the left whilst we've got acres of space on right wing waiting to be exploited and without the players to take advantage of it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
First half he was probably the most dangerous player on the team, created some good chances for Rashford, and looked like he was going to make something happen. Second half, outside of that little pass for Rashford that was a bit long, he was bad and out of rhythm. It was a good substitution, and Lukaku and Sanchez showed some interesting things. I still think he's an automatic starter on the left, but I'd like to see Sanchez get a run on the right and Lukaku coming off the bench for Rashford or Sanchez (and you can either keep Martial or switch Sanchez to the left and sub Martial).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tough game for him given our right side was utterly pointless and Newcastle parked their bust infront of him and Pogba. Our entire attack was rendered toothless by our lopsided threat and none of them had a real impact until we nicked the goal.

Either way, he had a few a good moments and a few not so good ones where he could have done better.

The change was the right one.

criticalanalysis

Does anyone else question his dribbling ability? It's a weird critique because he's left defenders for dead so many times. But I find he often gets muddled up on the ball and almost forgets it behind him when taking players on.

He can obviously dribble no doubt, I just don't think he's as world class at it as I once did.
His dribbling style, touch and running is better off as a central striker with freedom to roam a little ala Henry. It's very direct, so he can run off the shoulder off defenders or face them up to get a shot away.

Unfortunately this doesn't work as well or is as efficient on the wing because he lacks a bit of variation. It is sometimes a bit too one-paced i.e full sprint and forwards. His natural talent will still get you those moments of magic but his dribbling choices are 50% to get into a position to score and 50% to get into a position to provide. It's neither here or there at times.

Of course he is still learning and the team is only starting to get properly coach afters years of stagnation.

Mcking

He is not very dynamic, and dynamism is something that is very important for forwards. I think it is one of the reasons he plays in patches and struggles to consistently effect a game at times.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nothing can be said about him much this game. For the majority of his time on the pitch we had no right wing due to Mata being on and Valencia’s fear of a panic attack if he crosses the half way line. Martial played with the ball pretty much completely slammed to the sideline due to the lack of space. You saw when we opened up a right wing we started to get a lot more space to exploit on that left wig and that’s when Martial murders opposition.

Martials struggle was also the reason Pogba struggled in that left channel. Pogba only found relative success in the game when he went a little more central.

Classical Rafa tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.