5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

yfoFC

He's getting to the point now where he is still offering the team something on his quiet days.

Said it before in this thread,but these should be his base level when he isn't 100% on it and that's what we're starting to see now.
This

If these are his quiet games then I'll take it, but it would be unacceptable as his norm

I believe he will do well on Saturday and if he doesn't, then I'll start taking those inconsistent jabs at him more seriously

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This

If these are his quiet games then I'll take it, but it would be unacceptable as his norm

I believe he will do well on Saturday and if he doesn't, then I'll start taking those inconsistent jabs at him more seriously
I think that’s a fair comment. I don’t think his performance against Spurs was all that bad anyway. He’s had many more quieter, less effective performances that’s for sure. He did some good stuff at the weekend.

yfoFC

Or, maybe Rashford is going through a good patch of form just as Martial did not that long ago. You talk about Rashford's 'mental agility' (whatever that means), when he's had countless boneheaded decisions when on the ball in the past. Many, many times screwing up clear opportunities for teammates because he didn't know what to do, botched a simple touch, or decided to go at it on his own (when there's almost no chance of scoring) instead of laying it on a platter for a teammate.

There are countless examples of Martial showing work-rate, anticipation and IQ in his time at Manchester United, it's really not that hard to find. If you're going to use one player (like Rashford) to make a point on another (like Martial), I suggest you don't choose to forget everything that happened prior to OGS taking over because there's plenty of evidence to show you how wrong you are both on Martial and Rashford in your post.

It's not complicated, they've both had good moments in the season, this is Rashford's time right now and Martial is an active participant, not a passenger. Under this new attack fluidity, he will consistently contribute something, whether it's a goal/assist/key chance created. The reason why this thread gets so much activity is because there are clear agenda posters, they're always the same, most of them on my ignore list so I lose track of why there's so much activity going on here, and it is so poorly done or thought out by them that it makes this thread borderline toxic at times. They were nowhere to be seen just a month ago when Martial was saving Mourinho's job consistently, and the fact that they try to spew their nonsense now when his performances don't warrant it is just pathetic and why people respond in defense of Martial, which then they will ridiculously claim that you can't criticize Martial when I, and many others, have done in the past. Everyone deserves criticism, and Martial is no exception, but there's a clear difference between valid criticism and absolute rubbish for the service of some imbecile agenda.

PS: When I refer to agenda posters, I'm not speaking of you btw, just to be clear.
Top post, explained everything perfectly

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Or, maybe Rashford is going through a good patch of form just as Martial did not that long ago. You talk about Rashford's 'mental agility' (whatever that means), when he's had countless boneheaded decisions when on the ball in the past. Many, many times screwing up clear opportunities for teammates because he didn't know what to do, botched a simple touch, or decided to go at it on his own (when there's almost no chance of scoring) instead of laying it on a platter for a teammate.

There are countless examples of Martial showing work-rate, anticipation and IQ in his time at Manchester United, it's really not that hard to find. If you're going to use one player (like Rashford) to make a point on another (like Martial), I suggest you don't choose to forget everything that happened prior to OGS taking over because there's plenty of evidence to show you how wrong you are both on Martial and Rashford in your post.

It's not complicated, they've both had good moments in the season, this is Rashford's time right now and Martial is an active participant, not a passenger. Under this new attack fluidity, he will consistently contribute something, whether it's a goal/assist/key chance created. The reason why this thread gets so much activity is because there are clear agenda posters, they're always the same, most of them on my ignore list so I lose track of why there's so much activity going on here, and it is so poorly done or thought out by them that it makes this thread borderline toxic at times. They were nowhere to be seen just a month ago when Martial was saving Mourinho's job consistently, and the fact that they try to spew their nonsense now when his performances don't warrant it is just pathetic and why people respond in defense of Martial, which then they will ridiculously claim that you can't criticize Martial when I, and many others, have done in the past. Everyone deserves criticism, and Martial is no exception, but there's a clear difference between valid criticism and absolute rubbish for the service of some imbecile agenda.

PS: When I refer to agenda posters, I'm not speaking of you btw, just to be clear.
Top post.

tattico

Supports
SC Freiburg
I would like to see him in a role like Ronaldo in Madrid in his last years. Starting from width and sliding back to it, but frequently occupy the room next to a center forward (Lukaku). I think Martial has a good punch and the technical abilities to fulfill this role. I am a advocate for the view, that a good team needs at least two decent scorers in their squad. If you have them, they should be in the most dangerous zones on the pitch quit often.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We've (finally) a functioning attack, of which Martial is a crucial part. It's as silly to disregard his contribution to this over the last few weeks (and to give Rashers all the credit) as it is to write off Matic's contribution to our suddenly effective midfield and give all the credit to Pogba, who has been the one attracting the kudos. We're a team again and everyone is contributing. Our standouts at the moment, Lindelof at the back, Pogba and Rashford, won't always be our standouts but the point is that everyone s contributing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Still joint top scorer for us as a winger. First hat-trick next game? Sign him up:devil:

Suedesi

Nonsense eh? We will have to agree to disagree, because if you think Martial's end product is good, and his dribbling 'excellent' that is your opinion. I see and hear a lot of hype, but sorry, I don't see it. Running fast with the ball is of course useful. In fact I would argue that Pogba, Lindgard (when he gets his game together..) and Rashford are all more effective when running at opposing players. Martial's dribbling frequently seem to end in a stuttering or complete halt. And, 99% of the time, he moves inside onto his right foot. It is no longer as effective as it was when he first started to play as a left winger/left of a front three. His crossing is poor. Poor. How many assists has he this season? You suggesting his crossing is good? You accept that service for Man Utd forwards? Sorry, I do not. Look at the quality of service from Leroy Sane. Consistently. Look at Robertson at Liverpool. These players are providing quality crosses and crossing. Makes a difference when you need not always cut back on to your other foot to cross. Martial needs to develop a better, stronger, left foot. Look a the example of Christiano, who was all right-foot in his early years (as was Pogs btw...) CR7 developed this aspect of his game, and his heading ability. I want Martial to be doing the same. What is wrong with that? He's at Man United ffs!

Now, maybe it's how he applies his talent... Compare him to Hazard. Son. Mane. All right-footed. All (usually) play in similar positions. Martial is quicker than all of them! Look at their consistent game-management and impact and compare.

I have stated that Martial who arrived, all raw power, pace, scoring different types of goals, winning matches... I love this player. He was purely instinctive then. Now, he seems to be anything but instinctive, and his game has seems to have stopped developing a bit. Of course, the Mourinho' effect is significant, and I do expect more under Ole... But players also have to recognise where they need to improve. He has some terrific moments, but needs to find another gear of consistent performance for me. Rashford is at least trying to show that. Pogba is showing that. Lindeholf. Matic. Herrera... Ashley Young plays like a leader now. I want to see Martial now also step up. Because he has the talent, the platform. Everything.

Question is: How good does he want to be? Decent... Ok... Or superb, outstanding, critical-you-cannot-take-me-off type of consistency.

Mourinho said he had talent, but sometimes you do not see him for long periods of the game. I think this is a fair assessment of Martial. I hope he (Martial) addresses that.
Re: Dribbling - If you can't see it during games, there's many compilations you could refer to, but here are some

Is he the finished product? No, he's a 23-yr old kid learning his trade, but he's the most naturally gifted player at the club.

Suedesi

I'm probably in the minority here but I think Lingard is the closest to being undroppable, especially in the big games. He's so important to the way we break teams down. Anyway, do you not think Marcus Rashford can beat people one on one? Think back to the Bournemouth and Southampton games. Paul Pogba can beat people one on one, think of his assist for Jesse second last year at the Emirates. So Martial isn't the only one capable of doing it. As I explained to the other poster regarding Martial and Alexis, the front 3 the Ole is looking to play is fluid and interchangeable which means Sanchez won't have to stay wide and beat the full back every time, he can come inside and link play with Pogba and Jesse, leaving the left flank for Shaw to get down. And if the move breaks down, he'l be far more aggressive in winning it back than Martial.
The thing with Sanchez is (at least the United version) that he's very imprecise with the ball. Keeps giftin it away, keeps trying things that don't come off, etc. Unfortunately, he's going to have to be an impact player from the bench, not a regular starter.

He'lmurderyah15

The thing with Sanchez is (at least the United version) that he's very imprecise with the ball. Keeps giftin it away, keeps trying things that don't come off, etc. Unfortunately, he's going to have to be an impact player from the bench, not a regular starter.
You could say that Pogba was guilty of that under Mourinho, and that was put down to Mourinho putting the shackles on him and that he'd no movement ahead of him in that system. Under Ole he's been much better. We've only seen Sanchez play with the proper 11 for 20 minutes under Ole and he got an assist. Why can't the same excuses be made for Sanchez?

Suedesi

Because with Pogba, despite the horrendous performances, you could see his brilliance (Everton away, Arsenal away, City away etc). Sanchez just seems perpetually clumsy or injured.

I'd love for him to come back and prove me wrong, but I think we bought a lemon.

He'lmurderyah15

Because with Pogba, despite the horrendous performances, you could see his brilliance (Everton away, Arsenal away, City away etc). Sanchez just seems perpetually clumsy or injured.

I'd love for him to come back and prove me wrong, but I think we bought a lemon.
Ya I'd agree with that but I don't think Sanchez has been as bad as people make out, Spurs in the cup last year, City away, Liverpool at home and even Juventus away this year I thought he was very good. That's why I think judgement should be held off until he gets a consistant run under Ole. I think Friday week at the Emirates would suit him down to the ground and would be the perfect chance to bring him in.

Jeffthered

Re: Dribbling - If you can't see it during games, there's many compilations you could refer to, but here are some

Is he the finished product? No, he's a 23-yr old kid learning his trade, but he's the most naturally gifted player at the club.
Martial is undoubtedly talented. I just worry that he seems to be trying to see himself as this great dribbler.. I (personally) think, he's potential and strengths are when he is direct, instinctive and raw... who wants to score all types of goals. All of the time. If I see that desire, hunger... I will be his biggest fan (as I was when he arrived...). I give him a hard time, because he could do so much more. He's young, but he has been at good clubs for a while now. Not writing him off, no way as I think Ole and Phelan will really help him define his game. Interesting to read possible United interest in Cengiz Under' of Roma. Left Footed wide player.....

Frankstaple!

Thought he was pretty poor overall In this game. Tottenham easily marked him out the game as he did not want to run in behind and leave his wing.

RooneyLegend

Worried about him as he's not coming to the party. His team play is rather mediocre. He's got an outrageous amount of individual talent but it'll take him no where until he learns to gel with his teammates.

Raven

He hasn't hit his stride yet fully under the new system, still seems a little hesitant in a lot of the things he tries. In saying that, his performances, if you look at them objectively, have been good.

He's produced a number of chances per match, has looked relatively threatening with his dribbling and has linked up well with everyone else. He's not setting the world alight, but he's been good. I think the problem is rebuilding his confidence and his identity, he's a mercurial attacking talent and I think Mourinho did his level best to knock that out of him.

Once he does get going, he'll take this team to a new level, of that I'm fairly certain. I think he can be as important to us as Pogba is at the moment. I'm very excited about this team.

FerociousCorgis

what is good about having martial, rashford, and lingard starting as the front 3 is the different ways we can attack. Martial can be direct with ball at feet, lingard moves around a lot and can throw off opponent positioning, and rashford can make those runs in behind. The fluidity has increased exponentially as well compared to having lukaku up there and the static attack we witnessed. No surprise we struggle when we bring back those static type players or lose fluidity trying to peg mata into that RW slot.

mancan92

You guys are weird. On another day martial gets a goal and an assist and Rashford is the one who doesn't quite influence the match enough. The whole point of having both is they are constantly creating opportunities so one or the other will be the star.

Mcking

what is good about having martial, rashford, and lingard starting as the front 3 is the different ways we can attack. Martial can be direct with ball at feet, lingard moves around a lot and can throw off opponent positioning, and rashford can make those runs in behind. The fluidity has increased exponentially as well compared to having lukaku up there and the static attack we witnessed. No surprise we struggle when we bring back those static type players or lose fluidity trying to peg mata into that RW slot.
Yes, one thing I love about the trio is that they are three different type of players with different styles, and with Pogba behind them, all four offers something different. Long may it continue.

Janson

Your initial post

Reads like an attack on Martial tbf like he was just a passenger and putting the other two above him so you gotta understand people's reactions

Anyways, you won't get Rashford and Lingard work rate from martial and you also won't get Martial's "level" of finesse and creativity from them either which to many is the more critical standard to hold an attacker by

Anyways, I don't want to overflog this issue.. You see his performance as a 6/10 while I and some others see it more of a 7/10 especially when we were still attacking. To each his own
Actually Squawka gave him 6/10, while Lingard got 7/10 and Rashford 8/10. He got the worst grade out of all the attackers.

Raven

Actually Squawka gave him 6/10, while Lingard got 7/10 and Rashford 8/10. He got the worst grade out of all the attackers.
By all means back up what you're saying but don't dismiss a subjective opinion because Sqwuaka says so. I had Martial at a 7/10, just because Sqwuaka's number crunching says otherwise, isn't going to change what I witnessed.

meninred

The guy is hot and cold and inconsistent. He doesnot show passion and intensity in his game.

NoPace

8/10 on the ball, 3/10 off it. I spent the 15 seconds before Pogba almost chipped/deflected a 2nd goal over Llloris in like the 55th minute screaming for Martial to move off the ball as Trippier got dragged infield as we played on the center-right channel/half space whatever you call that area of the pitch.

We need a full-time wingers coach to teach Martial how to play off the ball.

UncleBob

8/10 on the ball, 3/10 off it. I spent the 15 seconds before Pogba almost chipped/deflected a 2nd goal over Llloris in like the 55th minute screaming for Martial to move off the ball as Trippier got dragged infield as we played on the center-right channel/half space whatever you call that area of the pitch.

We need a full-time wingers coach to teach Martial how to play off the ball.
I don't really agree with your view on it. See the pictures below, his positioning is fine in the situation you are referring to. He's made himself available for the pass, if he moves further in it'll be more difficult to get the ball to him and he'll just crowd an area that's already crowded. If Herrera crosses the ball to him, Trippier will have to move out of position to put pressure on him and that will free up space for Rashford and Pogba to get in behind.

Herrera opts for a easy pass to Lingard who rolls it back to Herrera (2nd pic, Herrera has already received the ball). Herrera moves inwards and plays Pogba (Pic 3). That's the only time Martial should make a run for it, as there's plenty of space behind Trippier, but it's by no means and easy pass to make as Pogba would have to shift the ball over to his left in order to get a decent angle to play him in. There's also the risk of getting hit on the counter attack, we've already committed Pogba, Lingard, Rashford and Young

Look at how he sets up the Pogba chance by playing a one two with Lingard before moving into space behind Trippier to expose Tottenhams defence..

During the majority of the match we had Lingard and Rashford who were putting pressure on Tottenhams defenders when they tried to play the ball out, with Martial positioned slightly behind them to get the ball at his feet and push forward. Not sure why some reckon he had a poor game, or how he's not suited to the way we're playing, he sets up Rashford nicely in the 11th min, sets up Pogba nicely in the second half, a better pass from Lingard and he's one on one with Lloris, a pass from Lingard in the first half instead of him taking a shot and it's a free shot at goal from close distance. Margins in a match where he could've easily had an assist and a goal

We've got a front 3 that's functioning very well together, where all of them are rotating positions and getting into goalscoring positions (and providing key passes), not sure what people are complaining about.

Aloysius's Back 3

Needs to be our false 9 to unlock his full abilities. He likes to play deeper and centrally rather than wider and in behind the defence.

I dont think he will get the chance until Sanchez gets form or Greenwood makes the step up eventually.

Raven

Kostov

DickDastardly

What irks me the most at this video is that he rarely follows up.

He delivers the pass, and then remains standing.
That is ssomething our coaching staff should work on.
He's brilliant, he just needs to work 10% more!
That 10% would mean he would follow up on this and probably find himself in a goal scoring opportunity more often then not. Pick the scraps.

Raven

What irks me the most at this video is that he rarely follows up.

He delivers the pass, and then remains standing.
That is ssomething our coaching staff should work on.
He's brilliant, he just needs to work 10% more!
That 10% would mean he would follow up on this and probably find himself in a goal scoring opportunity more often then not. Pick the scraps.
Yeah, fair enough, I'm one of his biggest fans and this is something I notice as well

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
https://mobile.twitter.com/hs_10ftbol/status/1085314796118048768?s=21

A small video that shows his creativity but isn't often noticed because the chances weren't converted and resulted in goals.

So those wondering what Martial does in his "quiet" games if he doesn't score or assist should take a look.
Watched this few mins back, it's a very good video which shows other aspects of his game. He is not just a dribble, dribble player. He has good eye for the pass in final third.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The good thing is he now has a coach that will cost his game, not just give him tactical instructions.
But I think his creativity is underrated. For such a skilful player, he's very unselfish.

Last edited:

meamth

You guys are weird. On another day martial gets a goal and an assist and Rashford is the one who doesn't quite influence the match enough. The whole point of having both is they are constantly creating opportunities so one or the other will be the star.
This made me wonder, what was it like back then when we had Rooney and Ronaldo? I wasn't aware of caf back then.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. I don't know if any team fans have these FCs. Martial and Rashford are both young players with so much potential. They are playing together now, instead of competing for 1 position.

Rashford fans think Martial lacks mentality, Martial fans think Rashford lacks technical ability or nowhere near Martial level talent. Well both are just wrong. They are very close to each other when it comes to talent and their impact on pitch.

Greck

Exactly. I don't know if any team fans have these FCs. Martial and Rashford are both young players with so much potential. They are playing together now, instead of competing for 1 position.

Rashford fans think Martial lacks mentality, Martial fans think Rashford lacks technical ability or nowhere near Martial level talent. Well both are just wrong. They are very close to each other when it comes to talent and their impact on pitch.
Yes, Can't remember any Rooney v Ronaldo FC trolling each other in numbers. These people need to wake up. Jose is gone. We no longer have to choose one or the other. They aren't even competing for the same position any more. How can fans of a club be rooting against productive youngsters? The remnant's of Jose's toxicity will linger for a year or 2 because the Pogba, Shaw, Martial and Rashford threads have boneheads waiting to start a hate circlejerk after every average game

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Fans of Martial and Rashford thinks that life is good. And bonus, Lingard is doing well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.