Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He certainly divides opinions although at the moment lots of our players seem to do that.

I listened to the Newcastle match on the radio and late in the 2nd half, I think when we had taken the lead that Mourinho was shouting and waving Martial to get back (can't recall the reason) and Martial just stood there staring back at his manager. Even the commentator said how bad it looked.

Whatever the agenda between Martial and Mourinho, to completely ignore his manager's instructions is not only unprofessional but it is hardly going to impress the manager or the fans for that matter.

Imagine if he did that to SAF. He would have had more than a teacup kicked his way.
I think Martial was either exhausted or had picked up a small knock at that point. Just before that he'd taken quite a while to pick himself up after being knocked over during an attack.

If it was just exhaustion (he was obviously very tired once the match finished), it is something he needs to work on. But how often has he actually played a full 90 minutes in the last two years? If he gets more gametime that should improve.

Raven

Don't need to get all sarcy lad. He's notoriously inconsistent and people notoriously go ott every time he puts in a single good performance, which isn't very often. I want him get a run now like anyone and do well, but I'll wait and see if he can do it.
No doubt some will wanna get aggy because of such a wild suggestion. I bet someone says the word agenda
Yeaaaaah... he's been one of our better players since young boys. How can people not go ott when you're downplaying everything the lad does? Clearly not been given the chances that other players have been, yet people like you refuse to see that. Pointing at things like his attitude and mentality as if you're the club psychologist.

This is now the second time Martial has forced his way into the starting XI under Mourinho, yet some people still have this notion he's weak mentally and not good enough for United.

To conclude, get a clue.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What season was that?

Agreed his shit crossing began under SAF. The year he wore number 7 he was not good.
It was 2009/2010 season or the one next. The same year Rooney was scoring loads. Valancia was providing Rooney with juicy crosses and he was just getting at the end of those.

Smores

calm down dude. Thats all he ever does now. If you could relax and not inflate things you will see that I meant he should run more at defenders and make cut back crosses instead of crossing immediately when he gets into a wide position. Mourinho has him playing to the benefite of lukaku which I don't believe is best for our attack right now.

It would actually benefit both players if martial made easy passes for lukaku at the line instead of always crossing the ball which he isn't particularly good at.

we need a more dimensional front three working for each other instead of all our players working for lukaku who can't find the back of the net right now.
What your arguing is a falsehood though, the stats show that he isn't crossing at a high rate at all and he didn't last season either.

The infamous poster above spends so much of his time trying to sell the idea it's incredibly irritating to see others buy into this nonsense.

I agree as a general rule regarding Lukaku but if Lukaku was in better form the likes of Martial would have assists and others would be brought into play. Lukaku is just half the player than usual right now

mancan92

Don't need to get all sarcy lad. He's notoriously inconsistent and people notoriously go ott every time he puts in a single good performance, which isn't very often. I want him get a run now like anyone and do well, but I'll wait and see if he can do it.
No doubt some will wanna get aggy because of such a wild suggestion. I bet someone says the word agenda
He is onl6 inconsistent when he is in and out of the team. As soon as he is played consistently he is always our most effective player stats wise. That has been proven time and again. Play him and he is consistent

Charlie Foley

It was 2009/2010 season or the one next. The same year Rooney was scoring loads. Valancia was providing Rooney with juicy crosses and he was just getting at the end of those.
He was very good 2009/10. There was a run around spring where he really kicked on and was providing assists for Rooney every week. That year, he was in the PFA team of the year.

2010 September he broke his leg. Came back Spring 2011 against Arsenal I believe, and finished that season very strongly, though his CL final performance was dreadful. But around this time he was routinely tearing Ashley Cole, and everyone else, a new one.

In 2011/12 he was like a train. That season, he won the Sir Matt Busby POTY, the Players' POTY, as well as the club goal of the season.

This 'one good season' is as much of a myth as the "he was never good after his 2010 injury' myth. He may not have been fancy, or tricky, or as skillful as Nani (who unfortunately suffered in 2011 by being moved to the left) but from 2009 to 2012 while his leg worked he was an absolute monster.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I assume he's not in the French national squad again?
You've assumed right.

Called up:
Dembele - 5 goals in 691 minutes (9 starts, 1 sub, 1 unused sub)
*Fekir - 3 goals, 3 assists in 520 minutes (7 starts, 1 sub, 3 not in squad)
Giroud - 4 assists in 367 minutes (4 starts, 4 subs, 1 unused sub, 3 not in squad)
Griezmann - 4 goals, 3 assists in 888 minutes (11 starts)
Lemar - 1 goal, 2 assists in 733 minutes (9 starts, 2 subs)
Mbappe - 10 goals, 4 assists in 570 minutes (6 starts, 1 sub, 5 not in squad (3 suspended))
Thauvin - 7 goals, 4 assists in 715 minutes (8 starts, 2 subs, 1 not in squad)

*replaced by Payet - 5 goals, 6 assists in 863 minutes (10 starts, 1 sub)

----
Martial - 2 goals in 461 minutes (5 starts, 3 subs, 2 unused sub, 1 not in squad)

There is no reason why he'd be called up ahead of any of those based on performances this season and the role he'd have in the team (no point in comparing him to Giroud and Griezmann for example)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good thing that he's not in the squad, means he's likely going to start against Chelsea after good 2nd half performance against Newcastle United. It's pointless to be in the national squad at this stage anyway.

Martial needs more game time and love from the manager to build up his confidence, Jose shouldn't keep dropping him everytime he scored or he didn't perform in 2 or 3 games in a row. The quality is in there, just needs more touch of love and trust from the manager, he had a good run of good performance last season and dropped right after we signed Alexis, that's such a poor management last season.

And also needs to be given less defensive work. We are Manchester United, we don't need to have 10 players on the field to be discipline to do defensive work.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Really desperate to see what kind of player he is after 10/15 games starting. Same as Shaw, I think they both have the desire to succeed here. Both have the potential to be great but comes down to confidence and stability in the lineup.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeaaaaah... he's been one of our better players since young boys. How can people not go ott when you're downplaying everything the lad does? Clearly not been given the chances that other players have been, yet people like you refuse to see that. Pointing at things like his attitude and mentality as if you're the club psychologist.

This is now the second time Martial has forced his way into the starting XI under Mourinho, yet some people still have this notion he's weak mentally and not good enough for United.

To conclude, get a clue.
Wow. Typical in the Martial thread for people go into aggy mode right off the bat despite nothing bad being said. 'Downplaying' because of not getting overly excited about someone actually playing alright. To conclude, learn to speak with adults.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He is onl6 inconsistent when he is in and out of the team. As soon as he is played consistently he is always our most effective player stats wise. That has been proven time and again. Play him and he is consistent
You have to prove you're useful to get games. I'm glad he had a good game so he'll have more opportunity to. Anyone would think I'm saying outrageous stuff against the lad (Revan would anyway).

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He was very good 2009/10. There was a run around spring where he really kicked on and was providing assists for Rooney every week. That year, he was in the PFA team of the year.

2010 September he broke his leg. Came back Spring 2011 against Arsenal I believe, and finished that season very strongly, though his CL final performance was dreadful. But around this time he was routinely tearing Ashley Cole, and everyone else, a new one.

In 2011/12 he was like a train. That season, he won the Sir Matt Busby POTY, the Players' POTY, as well as the club goal of the season.

This 'one good season' is as much of a myth as the "he was never good after his 2010 injury' myth. He may not have been fancy, or tricky, or as skillful as Nani (who unfortunately suffered in 2011 by being moved to the left) but from 2009 to 2012 while his leg worked he was an absolute monster.
Don't get me wrong, Valancia was good during that period but when I'm talking about top season, I'm likening it to a RVP level of season or 2009/2010 Rooney type of top season. Basically a world class season.

Valancia has managed that once(2011/2012) which prompted talks of him getting the number 7 and actually got it the next season but struggled throughout the season(which he mostly attributed to the pressure of wearing the number 7). After that Valancia has never met those height again.

Again I'm talking about a top season here almost comparable to Van Persie epic season with us.

mancan92

You have to prove you're useful to get games. I'm glad he had a good game so he'll have more opportunity to. Anyone would think I'm saying outrageous stuff against the lad (Revan would anyway).
You are saying he is inconsistent. He isn't, any player that doesn't get into a consistent run of games will be inconsistent. But as soon as martial gets a run of games he has shown to be our most productive player.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You are saying he is inconsistent. He isn't, any player that doesn't get into a consistent run of games will be inconsistent. But as soon as martial gets a run of games he has shown to be our most productive player.
Players can put in more of a performance when they come in than he has many times. Simple as that. He's not not been given chances, despite a lot on here pretending otherwise. You don't need to blow the world away, but you do need to not be static and invisible like he was.

El Jefe

We absolutely must not sell him. I just watched his debut season highlights and he looked a totally different player.

LVG for all his faults understood Martial and played him in a way to maximise his ability. Jose only seems to play Martial in this way when we're chasing games, especially at home. For the most part, Jose plays him too far from the box and that's where he's at his best. Asking him to drive with the ball from the half way line or deliver accurate crosses from the wing is a misuse of his talent.

In and around the box, he's very dangerous but we don't get him in these positions anywhere near enough because he's too busy delivering crosses to Lukaku :houllier:

Web of Bissaka

We absolutely must not sell him. I just watched his debut season highlights and he looked a totally different player.

LVG for all his faults understood Martial and played him in a way to maximise his ability. Jose only seems to play Martial in this way when we're chasing games, especially at home. For the most part, Jose plays him too far from the box and that's where he's at his best. Asking him to drive with the ball from the half way line or deliver accurate crosses from the wing is a misuse of his talent.

In and around the box, he's very dangerous but we don't get him in these positions anywhere near enough because he's too busy delivering crosses to Lukaku :houllier:
Does he (LVG) though...
I mean highlights is very bias, and very selective choosing just short good clips, ignoring the bad ones and full matches. I remember the first few games Tony was excellent, then quickly faded as LVG vangalised him, shifted him around from left to right to centre and back to left and so on. He's not that consistent, and his play is too predictable, strict, invisible and too static then. Not surprising since it's sleeping philosophy - LVG's system is more on this zone thing where players need to be there don't wander off, keep very safe possession, cautionary approach don't take too much risks, etc.

For all the criticism, Mou uses a system starting in his first season, where Martial is more freer to wander around cutting inwards, stay width or rush into box - up to you, but added defensive responsibility. Took Martial one season to adapt to it, and we get the rewards starting the second season onwards till now.

I have no problems with Martial adding this crossing (high and low) weapon to his arsenal. Used to be so shit, now it's improving. So kept on doing it Martial. The good thing is he knows how to balance it - when to high cross, low cross, when to dribble, move inwards or stay out wide, link up play, etc.

Web of Bissaka

Who the heck negotiated this deal for us?

That's why Woodward was miserable after the goal!
:D Maybe that's also why early this year Martial is shifted out of the squad or bench, not getting many games.

Feb 18'.
Ed whispered to Jose "Psst, you know that piano guy is more talented. Could you give Martial less games from now on. Just for 11 more months."

NinjaFletch

It always amazes me how capable journalists are of getting incredibly basic parts of their job wrong such as, you know, fact checking.

Martial's contract leaked online years ago, the clause was related to 25 goals in all first team competitions (defined as being PL, FA Cup, League Cup or any Uefa competitions).

He scored 17 goals in his first season and 8 in his second meaning his 25th goal in all competitions came in the 2-0 win over Burnley over a year ago, or in other words, exactly how it was fecking reported at the time!

Martial returned to the attack alongside Rooney and Jesse Lingard and played a part in both first-half goals.

The Frenchman sprinted forward after being sent on his way by Rooney, and after a delicate lay-off from Ander Herrera, Martial swept the ball past Tom Heaton in the Burnley goal.

It was Martial's 25th goal for the club and a clause in his contract, which he signed last year, means United will now have to pay an extra £8.5m to his former team Monaco.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39612236

Darkhorsez

It always amazes me how capable journalists are of getting incredibly basic parts of their job wrong such as, you know, fact checking.

Martial's contract leaked online years ago, the clause was related to 25 goals in all first team competitions (defined as being PL, FA Cup, League Cup or any Uefa competitions).

He scored 17 goals in his first season and 8 in his second meaning his 25th goal in all competitions came in the 2-0 win over Burnley over a year ago, or in other words, exactly how it was fecking reported at the time!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39612236
Wow! Thanks for posting this. I am not surprised really - incredible on how sloppy their work is.

ash_86

Martial is not the guy who can play multiple roles, but he's effective when given one single highly focussed role in attack. Asking him to go up and down the pitch does not suit him one bit. Whether Mourinho agrees with this or not is a different question.

meninred

I would rather see martial (also rashford) play in the middle Mourinho almost plays one strker commonly with 4 - 3 - 3 formation
He should try two strikers with lukaku also avail.dont know why football evolved from " two strikers" era but let us get it back.
Arsenal are also trying.

el3mel

Our best attacking player by a mile again.

He's the only one in the front 3 who knows what to do with the ball.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's our best attacking player, no contest really. Really hope we can convince him to stay, we'll need players like him for what comes next. No way around it now, should be the first name on the team sheet with how poor our attack has been this season.

snk123

Appropriate time to say those who have repeatedly critisized him know feck all about football.

Skills

Snitch
He's our best attacking player, no contest really. Really hope we can convince him to stay, we'll need players like him for what comes next. No way around it now, should be the first name on the team sheet with how poor our attack has been this season.
Might be too late unfortunately. His treatment for the last few seasons has been disgraceful.

Eugenius

One dimensional, lazy, doesn't do it in big games, Martial FC etc.

Some geniuses on the caf.

He's by far our most composed finisher. You want those chances to fall to him.

TsuWave

he's always been productive, even when out of form. chances are we would have been better off with him in the team for all those months he was out of the first team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’d do this a lot more often if he were starting regularly.
Looks like the manager's finally seen sense, started consistently recently and long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.