Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Martial FC originated on twitter.
:lol::lol::lol: Nothing originates on twitter because its a social media platform. You might be thinking about popularising.

Me and a few other posters were using that term on here before it was a thing on Twitter, and we were most likely not the first to think of it either. It's probably been used by people since he carried our attack in his first season.

Greck

:lol::lol::lol: Nothing originates on twitter because its a social media platform. You might be thinking about popularising.

Me and a few other posters were using that term on here before it was a thing on Twitter, and we were most likely not the first to think of it either. It's probably been used by people since he carried our attack in his first season.
Lol pretty sure it originated there. A group of redcafe posters think they invented it though :lol:. It's possible they started using it on their own but it was around long before that

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lol pretty sure it originated there. A group of redcafe posters think they invented it though :lol:
The earliest I heard the term was by a match going fan in 15/16. Long before there was any mention of it on Twitter. Twitter inventing anything would be a first since it's a social media platform and not a person.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The fact of the matter is that Martial has been treated much harsher than the people he is competing with for playing time.
You are right about that. Not just in Martial's case. Some players have way more credit than others. But my opinion about that( and i am not talking only about Jose) is that it is a manager's job. Manager is not there to only pick a team and formation. He must know how to approach to some player to get best out of him. Maybe Jose thinks that for example Rashford needs soft approach and Martial needed tough approach. Also, as Jose said today, if you have a player who can be one of the best then coach has his vision how he will become that.
Maybe i am wrong in all this but for me, Martial today is a different player. Better player.

Greck

The earliest I heard the term was by a match going fan in 15/16. Long before there was any mention of it on Twitter. Twitter inventing anything would be a first since it's a social media platform and not a person.
Nah twitter generates a lot of memes,jokes and punchlines eg lukaku timberland and jeans. It's not like only closed communities like forums can do so. Redcafe is also technically somewhat a social media/platform. Twitter doesn't have the same continuity and consistent participation as closed forums but you can find some semblance of continuity and fan community on follower accounts likes utdxtra and the United stand.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maybe i am wrong in all this but for me, Martial today is a different player. Better player.
I don't see any real difference between now and this time a year ago when he was finally playing regularly again.

When Martial's not confident his workrate suffers. That is an issue with him. As such he is certainly working harder now than he was in the second half of last season and the first month or two of this season (as his confidence was understandably destroyed by his treatment). But considering that, surely the best way to get the best out of him (and the best for the team) is to try to keep his confidence up. Instead, Mourinho has done pretty much the exact opposite, and almost everything that he's done since he joined us is like it's been designed to destroy Martial's confidence.

I hate comparing to Ferguson, but he was the master at knowing that different players need different treatment. Some players need to be pushed hard, while others need the arm around the shoulder. Mourinho seems to have no idea how to treat the latter group, which is where Martial seems to fit in.

RedDevil@84

This is the way "I speculate" the whole Martial story so far

Martial came in as a promising youngster. Made a good name in his first season. Was a happy boy on and off the pitch with ice cool finishing.
The 2nd seasons had lot of setbacks, be it his no 9 jersey being taken away in a year, his family broken, coming of Ibra and need to start all over again. He started becoming sad and his form took a nosedive.
The season after that, his life started stabilizing somewhat and then he was finally picked some form and things were going fine again.
Then Woodward told Jose that Sanchez was available and we could pull this right from under the nose of City. Sanchez had a big reputation and Woodward was giddy about the deal and Jose was never letting of such an opportunity, though Sanchez was never in his plans originally.
Sanchez came in and announced publicly (check his 1st interview) that his favorite place was left or central. He was on big wages, a bigger star than Martial and his needs would be put ahead of Martial (just like Ibra taking his jersey number).
Martial was once again disturbed/sad by all this and his form (in trainings and one-off matches he played) was nothing to be proud of.
Meanwhile Sanchez had an underwhelming few months, but as we have seen with Miki before or Lukaku now, Jose gives some players (not sure based on what, maybe trainings) a very long rope. So Sanchez continuously got picked.
Sanchez continued to be underwhelming this season, along with Martial now more receptive to Mourinho's tactics, which meant Sanchez lost his place to Martial, finally.

I might sound like a Jose apologetic, but that is not my intention or point. I think Martial is a bit more emotional and small things (on or off the pitch) affect his concentration/focus. Not all players become very mature by age of 21/22. So it is a bit difficult to keep him motivated unlike others.

Anyways, I hope Jose gives a long rope to Martial (like what he gave some players) and hope the good form continues for long.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Martial came in as a promising youngster. Made a good name in his first season. Was a happy boy on and off the pitch with ice cool finishing.
The 2nd seasons had lot of setbacks, be it his no 9 jersey being taken away in a year, his family broken, coming of Ibra and need to start all over again. He started becoming sad and his form took a nosedive.
The season after that, his life started stabilizing somewhat and then he was finally picked some form and things were going fine again.
Then Woodward told Jose that Sanchez was available and we could pull this right from under the nose of City. Sanchez had a big reputation and Woodward was giddy about the deal and Jose was never letting of such an opportunity, though Sanchez was never in his plans originally.
Sanchez came in and announced publicly (check his 1st interview) that his favorite place was left or central. He was on big wages, a bigger star than Martial and his needs would be put ahead of Martial (just like Ibra taking his jersey number).
Martial was once again disturbed/sad by all this and his form (in trainings and one-off matches he played) was nothing to be proud of.
Meanwhile Sanchez had an underwhelming few months, but as we have seen with Miki before or Lukaku now, Jose gives some players (not sure based on what, maybe trainings) a very long rope. So Sanchez continuously got picked.
Sanchez continued to be underwhelming this season, along with Martial now more receptive to Mourinho's tactics, which meant Sanchez lost his place to Martial, finally.

I might sound like a Jose apologetic, but that is not my intention or point. I think Martial is a bit more emotional and small things (on or off the pitch) affect his concentration/focus. Not all players become very mature by age of 21/22. So it is a bit difficult to keep him motivated unlike others.

Anyways, I hope Jose gives a long rope to Martial (like what he gave some players) and hope the good form continues for long.
I think you may be right and it's very plausible.

Stactix

I think his handling of Martial has been poor, when you compare how bad Lukaku has been this season yet played practically every game or Sanchez last season but played every game.. he has his favourites.
Same with Matic this season
I think Periera should of fecked off on Loan again, would of got more playing time.

Martial has had his ups and downs and I think he certainly should of handled things better and put more effort in but in all honesty how can it not be demoralising when the manager clearly has favourites, that get more chances than others even if they're considerably worse.

KennyBurner

That's why I was one of the first to use the phrase Martial FC on here

I mean I’ve been ghosting this forum since 2014 and I can tell you martial fc started on twitter before it made its way here. You mustn’t really be on Twitter not to know this. Most memes originate from there.

Congratulations though on starting it if it’s origin really bothers you that much.

mancan92

You are right about that. Not just in Martial's case. Some players have way more credit than others. But my opinion about that( and i am not talking only about Jose) is that it is a manager's job. Manager is not there to only pick a team and formation. He must know how to approach to some player to get best out of him. Maybe Jose thinks that for example Rashford needs soft approach and Martial needed tough approach. Also, as Jose said today, if you have a player who can be one of the best then coach has his vision how he will become that.
How can you of watched him in his first season and seriously think that he's a better player now?

Aloysius's Back 3

How can you of watched him in his first season and seriously think that he's a better player now?
He's playing the same as he did when he got dropped in form for Sanchez - was still scoring a goal a game.

Bit better defensively - the rest is due to Lukaku being dropped has made our team more cohesive - not the most cohesive but definitely more.

sp_107

I think he is playing for a better contract from UTD or from other top European clubs.Would like to see if he can keep it up after the renewal

LoveFootball

You’re barking up the wrong tree here mate, I’m not one of those who think he should become an all-rounder. I’ve been a huge fan since day one, and up until his first couple of subs this season where he didn’t seem bothered and I kind of felt like it wouldn’t matter much if we sold him, because he wouldn’t make it here.

I’m not going to bother looking up the stats, but yes, he contributed in bursts his first season. I understand your need to use the ‘opinions and remembering what we want’, but imo that’s what you’re guilty of. Our attack was blunt, at best, the whole time under LVG, and it’s natural to think Martial was consistently good, because he was, in fact, our best and most dangerous attacking player, be that scoring or creating. Now, over to something that isn’t matter of opinion: We are, and have been, creating a lot more chances under Mou than we did with LVGs sideway-pass the oppos to death, and now Martial has, for 5 straight games, been top or second highest creator of chances and shot taker, in addition to scoring a goal a game average (for 5 games).

I agree with your wish of letting him use the majority of his energy in attack, initiating or finishing them. He hasn’t consistently shown enough, not even now for me, to have earned that privilege, though. He’s slowly getting there imo. It would look pretty stupid in those two games vs Juve if we let him stand around up top/left the whole time. Juventus is still a much better team than us, and performances like he had, goes a long way of proving that he can, unequivocally, be an important part of the team even when he has to work hard defensively for 80 minutes, which isn’t really his area of expertise. I believe it will also push him closer to undroppable, and cut him some more slack when he has the occasional bad game or two.

So yeah, he has tactically and mentally developed a lot since 2015. To be clear, Mou has had a part in it, but I give Martial 85% of the credit, and believe a manager that doesn’t thrive on conflict could’ve got him there much sooner.
I can use same logic to anti-Jose brigade. So when Martial had bad games( and he had them a lot, lets stop talking only about that 2 months in pre Sanchez period) then it was on Jose. Now when Martial plays excellent then it is on Martial.
As i said before, Jose is far from blameless here and i was also so pissed when Martial was on the bench, because i love that player since day one but to say that Martial is victim here is just not true.
I think there is a reason why people were screaming for Martial to play, there is a reason why this "Martial FC" thing do exist. The truth is Mourinho has contributed to something new in his development that is being stronger mentally and overcome any obstacle that will cross his way; did he do it voluntary or involuntary that's another debate. There's nothing new in the way Martial is playing now, the only thing noticeable is that he's spending more time doing defensive duties (for the good or the worst, that's another debate) and that's a Mourinho influence and everyone can notice it; do I like? No, is it necessary? YES for the way Mourinho wants his team to play.

The truth is Martial has always been instrumental to our attack, be it under LVG or under Mourinho; when he got dropped to accommodate another player we struggled for goals (see last January till lately when he became a starter).

Handré1990

I think there is a reason why people were screaming for Martial to play, there is a reason why this "Martial FC" thing do exist. The truth is Mourinho has contributed to something new in his development that is being stronger mentally and overcome any obstacle that will cross his way; did he do it voluntary or involuntary that's another debate. There's nothing new in the way Martial is playing now, the only thing noticeable is that he's spending more time doing defensive duties (for the good or the worst, that's another debate) and that's a Mourinho influence and everyone can notice it; do I like? No, is it necessary? YES for the way Mourinho wants his team to play.

The truth is Martial has always been instrumental to our attack, be it under LVG or under Mourinho; when he got dropped to accommodate another player we struggled for goals (see last January till lately when he became a starter).
Your not adressing any of the points I made, but agree that there is noticable development, contrary to your original point. Then you backtrack and say there is nothing new, except his willingness to put in a defensive shift when required. Am I understanding you right? Make up your mind man!

I don’t even know why you bothered to answer. Like I said, you’re not making me into some echo chamber for an imaginary Mourinho apoligist or whatever.

There has been development in his game, tactically (taking responsibility and putting in a defensive shift when needed) and mentally (getting more consistently involved throughout the games).

You don’t like a player maturing and taking on more responsibility? Tough titties! We’re not Barca 09-12, and he’s not Messi. He will have to work harder defensively and spend more time in our own half occasionally. I don’t like Mourinho’s playing style any more than you do. However, irregardless of who our manager is, we will face better teams, especially in the CL, where we will see less of the ball. Martial was crucial at both ends of the field on Wednesday, and I for one, love it!

Cliche Guevara

He's playing the same as he did when he got dropped in form for Sanchez - was still scoring a goal a game.

Bit better defensively - the rest is due to Lukaku being dropped has made our team more cohesive - not the most cohesive but definitely more.
Come on, he scored two goals immediately prior to Sánchez singing, having not scored in eight games. After that he failed to score in fifteen.

There might have been reasons for that but a goal a game is pish. He had a run of six goals in forty games overall.

Last edited:

Lj82

You’re barking up the wrong tree here mate, I’m not one of those who think he should become an all-rounder. I’ve been a huge fan since day one, and up until his first couple of subs this season where he didn’t seem bothered and I kind of felt like it wouldn’t matter much if we sold him, because he wouldn’t make it here.

I’m not going to bother looking up the stats, but yes, he contributed in bursts his first season. I understand your need to use the ‘opinions and remembering what we want’, but imo that’s what you’re guilty of. Our attack was blunt, at best, the whole time under LVG, and it’s natural to think Martial was consistently good, because he was, in fact, our best and most dangerous attacking player, be that scoring or creating. Now, over to something that isn’t matter of opinion: We are, and have been, creating a lot more chances under Mou than we did with LVGs sideway-pass the oppos to death, and now Martial has, for 5 straight games, been top or second highest creator of chances and shot taker, in addition to scoring a goal a game average (for 5 games).

I agree with your wish of letting him use the majority of his energy in attack, initiating or finishing them. He hasn’t consistently shown enough, not even now for me, to have earned that privilege, though. He’s slowly getting there imo. It would look pretty stupid in those two games vs Juve if we let him stand around up top/left the whole time. Juventus is still a much better team than us, and performances like he had, goes a long way of proving that he can, unequivocally, be an important part of the team even when he has to work hard defensively for 80 minutes, which isn’t really his area of expertise. I believe it will also push him closer to undroppable, and cut him some more slack when he has the occasional bad game or two.

So yeah, he has tactically and mentally developed a lot since 2015. To be clear, Mou has had a part in it, but I give Martial 85% of the credit, and believe a manager that doesn’t thrive on conflict could’ve got him there much sooner.
Good post. Agree with what you said

Lj82

Your point about Martial being more emotional is interesting. Very plausible

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think his handling of Martial has been poor, when you compare how bad Lukaku has been this season yet played practically every game or Sanchez last season but played every game.. he has his favourites.
Same with Matic this season
I think Periera should of fecked off on Loan again, would of got more playing time.

Martial has had his ups and downs and I think he certainly should of handled things better and put more effort in but in all honesty how can it not be demoralising when the manager clearly has favourites, that get more chances than others even if they're considerably worse.
It's been before everyone's eyes, but some were unwilling to see it. Players that work hard and try are allowed bad days. That's football. But a player that is lacking in effort or dedication, either on the pitch, in training or their personal life, isn't going to be awarded the same leniency. These are the players that Jose has challenged to force them to push themselves to a higher level. And it's mainly the more talented players that he did this with because he recognises they're the ones that can make a difference.

I think it's been obvious all along and Jose's interview finally confirms it.

redIndianDevil

It's been before everyone's eyes, but some were unwilling to see it. Players that work hard and try are allowed bad days. That's football. But a player that is lacking in effort or dedication, either on the pitch, in training or their personal life, isn't going to be awarded the same leniency. These are the players that Jose has challenged to force them to push themselves to a higher level. And it's mainly the more talented players that he did this with because he recognises they're the ones that can make a difference.

I think it's been obvious all along and Jose's interview finally confirms it.
Another one up Mourinho's arsehole I see. You can all twist things however you want but the truth is Mourinho never preferred Martial. He wanted Perisic then got Sanchez who he gave 10 months before determining he was shite and started Martial(who had a bad game and Mourinho made a snarky statement that Martial wasn't good enough either), now that Martial has come good despite Mourinho, Mourinho and his fanboys are claiming undeserved credit now.

Quinzaine

Come on, he scored two goals immediately prior to Sánchez singing, having not scored in eight games. After that he failed to score in fifteen.

There might have been reasons for that but a goal a game is pish. He had a run of six goals in forty games overall.
One of the most bizarre and factually incorrect posts I've seen here. He scored three games in a row prior to Sanchez arriving, and that was his first spell in the team as the clear starter over Rashford. He also had 10 goals and 10 assists by January having played half of the minutes available due to his competition with Rashford. If you take those figures and average them out over a whole season you're looking at 40 goal involvements without being a guaranteed starter which is insane. Not sure where you got six goals in forty games from?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Another one up Mourinho's arsehole I see. You can all twist things however you want but the truth is Mourinho never preferred Martial. He wanted Perisic then got Sanchez who he gave 10 months before determining he was shite and started Martial(who had a bad game and Mourinho made a snarky statement that Martial wasn't good enough either), now that Martial has come good despite Mourinho, Mourinho and his fanboys are claiming undeserved credit now.
Except I said the same thing from the beginning. I said the same thing when he did it with Shaw, Mkhitaryan even though cocks like you think Jose just wants to come in and piss off every single player because he hates them for no reason :houllier: Yeah, okay then...

Ban

So glad for him, he's in great form and full of confidence. Great comments by the manager too.
He looks even better now than before.

Cliche Guevara

One of the most bizarre and factually incorrect posts I've seen here. He scored three games in a row prior to Sanchez arriving, and that was his first spell in the team as the clear starter over Rashford. He also had 10 goals and 10 assists by January having played half of the minutes available due to his competition with Rashford. If you take those figures and average them out over a whole season you're looking at 40 goal involvements without being a guaranteed starter which is insane. Not sure where you got six goals in forty games from?
What part is inaccurate?

Your averaging out business is nonsense. Prior to January Martial went eight games without a goal, and after he went fifteen. That’s not a goal a game form by any stretch.

I’m not actually criticising Martial either, just the ridiculous revisionism regarding his form.

Handré1990

Wow! Really unnecessery to be so rude! Nothing he says is controversial. He’s right about Mourinho’s methods, and tread carefully before you decide to label me a Mourinho fan.

He pushes all players who doesn’t run through brick walls for him. I disagree with his methods because he seems to apply the same one’s to all of the most talented players, and think he thrives on conflict. He has lost more ‘phenomenal talents’ than he has managed to make his men, imo.

No reason to use that kind of language just because you disagree with someone. Try arguing your point instead. That’s kind of the point with these forums. Occasionally you’re going to see differing opinions. Luckily this isn’t rawk;)

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What part is inaccurate?

Your averaging out business is nonsense. Prior to January Martial went eight games without a goal, and after he went fifteen. That’s not a goal a game form by any stretch.

I’m not actually criticising Martial either, just the ridiculous revisionism regarding his form.
No the revisionism is pretending that Martial wasn't playing well prior to January. He'd already won 2 potm award out of 4 months prior to January.

Also not scoring goals doesn't mean he wasn't paying well, people are forgetting that Martial is a winger and his contribution shouldn't be solely defined by goal scored.

Cliche Guevara

No the revisionism is pretending that Martial wasn't playing well prior to January. He'd already won 2 potm award out of 4 months prior to January.

Also not scoring goals doesn't mean he wasn't paying well, people are forgetting that Martial is a winger and his contribution shouldn't be solely defined by goal scored.
I was responding to the claim he was scoring a goal per game prior to Sánchez arriving. Nothing else.

He clearly didn’t.

Eugenius

You don't have to go back far in this thread to see how the anti Martial lot were questioning his talent and calling him overrated.

Now it's 'the talent was always there, but needed Mourinho to unlock it'.

It's just the way Jose works. He has some people he treats irrationally, and to justify it he questions their mentality because it deflects the blame/onus for change from him.

At Chelsea Lukaku 'wasn't motivated to fight for his place' (his competition behind Demba Ba, a past it Torres and Drogba brought back at the end of his career). De Bruyne 'didn't work hard enough in training' and Salah 'wasn't mentally ready'.

Has anyone heard similar comments from any of their other managers since? Luckily for us Martial didn't have to go elsewhere before we realised his ability though.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You don't have to go back far in this thread to see how the anti Martial lot were questioning his talent and calling him overrated.

Now it's 'the talent was always there, but needed Mourinho to unlock it'.

It's just the way Jose works. He has some people he treats irrationally, and to justify it he questions their mentality because it deflects the blame/onus for change from him.

At Chelsea Lukaku 'wasn't motivated to fight for his place' (his competition behind Demba Ba, a past it Torres and Drogba brought back at the end of his career). De Bruyne 'didn't work hard enough in training' and Salah 'wasn't mentally ready'.

Has anyone heard similar comments from any of their other managers since? Luckily for us Martial didn't have to go elsewhere before we realised his ability though.
I'm sure if you just go back to the Juve home game you'd see some tendencies to shit on Martial were already rearing their ugly heads. Some just can't help it.

Posh Red

Personally think Martial still hasn’t reached the heights he hit in his first season purely from an attacking perspective. Although that might be down to the overall system we use.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Personally think Martial still hasn’t reached the heights he hit in his first season purely from an attacking perspective. Although that might be down to the overall system we use.
I agree

mancan92

One aspect of martials play I have always enjoyed is that he isn't a snowboater. He has all the tricks you see from a neymar but he never uses skills in the attempt to embarrass defenders. Only to maximise his ability to get past them. Mebappe is the same. Actually reminds me of Messi in that sense aswell.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
To be fair that’s not something exclusive to Martial, some of the shite posted about De Gea at the start of the season with laughable. Just comes with the whole “fans are fickle” stuff.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
On this forum all threads became "we and they". If you are for one player you are against other and of course everything ends with Mourinho boys and anti-Mourinho boys.

Martial is my favourite player but still i am quoted 20 times here because i rate Mourinho. Ridiculous.

It's because of the tactics, under LVG he played a lot higher up the pitch now Jose makes he play much deeper.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His thread is becoming tiring. So many factions with fans arguing over who loves him first and who loves him more. Fecking ridiculous tbh.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's 'looked better' in his first season (don't think he actually has) because very few defenders in the league knew him. Ever since his game was closely analysed by the other teams and the tricks that worked in the beginning are just not working as well anymore because the defenders/players are aware of his playstyle. Bit weird that it has to be explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.