5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

Are we saying that Martial should have not tracked Zabaleta?

It’s not a winger’s job to establish control of a football match. If we had control of the ball, Zabaleta would be the one defending. West Ham dominated the ball, hence Martial has to defend.

Or are we saying JM gives him instruction to not attack but defend?
He is saying that our attacking structure is soo bad that west ham right spent more time attacking than our winger.

mancan92

Martial did nothing... Tracking back is part of his job. Shouldn't be commended, or seen as some favour.

He needs to learn how to really play this game, because he is far too ineffective for someone of his ability, and thinks he is better than what he currently is.

Talented yes, but he has to change his attitude if he wishes to be the player he could become.

Great young players inspire teams. Anthony Martial doesn't do this. Look at Sterling. Look at Rashford (who also really doesn't benefit from the side-show called our Manager).. he is an inspirational player.

Martial has many supporters on here, but some people need to see things as they are, not what they wish.

As someone mentioned, this isn't PlayStation.
Wait Rashford is an inspirational player but martial isn't?

Charlie Foley

He made I don’t know how many runs in that first half that his teammates didn’t pick out or didn’t want to take the risk.

Now perhaps that comes from the manager or perhaps that is the players not wanting to give away possession against city which I understand but you have to take risks, if you play safe against them they’ll score eventually (especially with leaky defensive system).

E-mal

Martial did nothing... Tracking back is part of his job. Shouldn't be commended, or seen as some favour.

He needs to learn how to really play this game, because he is far too ineffective for someone of his ability, and thinks he is better than what he currently is.

Talented yes, but he has to change his attitude if he wishes to be the player he could become.

Great young players inspire teams. Anthony Martial doesn't do this. Look at Sterling. Look at Rashford (who also really doesn't benefit from the side-show called our Manager).. he is an inspirational player.

Martial has many supporters on here, but some people need to see things as they are, not what they wish.

A post without a substance. How did Rashford inspire anything today? Also Sterling didnt do any real defending today.
The real question is how the whole team looked frightened to play the ball.

shahzy

If asking Martial to work harder to get in to positions to hurt the opposition is asking too much then I wonder at what level you rate him? Because my impression over recent weeks is that most of this forum rate him as currently a world class player (and, if not, then not far off). If that's the case then we have to take the children's gloves off and be candid about the still existing flaws in his game and where he can improve.

Certainly he could be helped by more dynamic passers in midfield, but conversely our midfielders could be helped by a player working harder to get himself into space. It isn't a zero sum game, and I don't mean to absolve other players of blame. I just think Martial is being a bit molly coddled at the minute and that more can still be expected from him.
Do you expect a left back to make a run and get into attacking positions in a blink of an eye because essentially thats what youre askin for. You could have Usain Bolt on your team and even he cant cover that much ground. How about the manager leave the wingers further up so when you win the ball back they are already 10-20 metres ahead so that when they make their runs its at the back four of the opposition and not against the midfielders which if they beat they have another line of defence to beat aswell. Surely you can see this otherwise theres no real point discussing

shahzy

I only have 1 post remaining today but ill use it on this. My god that is one of the worst posts ive read on here.
We have Pablo Zabelleta coming out and saying that when West Ham played Utd he felt sorry for Martial having to track back every single run he made and then you compare that with Sterling who tracked back maybe once or twice after losing the ball (which is easy as mentally youre always trying to attack so tracking back once in a while is not a big deal).
Rashford as inspirataional? The guy who runs the balls into players shins and out of touch as an inspiration?

RedCurry

You typed so much and not a word of that made any sense.

Rossa

No mention of his pass that put Lukaku through?
Hey, I was criticizing him! Stop being sensible. Yeah, that was nice, and there were a couple of times when he found space that he showed how dangerous he can be. As a team we are not good at creating space, so every attacker suffer

Jacob

Those six are the best forwards we've had in the Premier League era. In good company indeed. Could go on to be as good as them.
Irrelevant.. He scored a pen, in a loss.

Oldgiggsfan

I lost count of the runs Martial made and no one picking him out, Anders being the main culprit who just waited to long to pass the ball.

Kostov

No point in analysing either him or Rashford when the midfield we played couldn't make a forward pass to save their lives. Did well for the penalty, stepped up and scored.
While I agree with that, Rashford was being shit on a whole different level and it was not just down the midfield. That attack when he literally ran the ball out of play was amateurish and it's clearly in his head.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
While I agree with that, Rashford was being shit on a whole different level and it was not just down the midfield. That attack when he literally ran the ball out of play was amateurish and it's clearly in his head.
I agree. I mean you can analyze various moments of the game and say that for:
Situation A: Rashford/ Martial are isolated or received a terrible pass
Situation B: Rashford/Martial have to do much better there

Rashford running out of play, like you said, cannot be blamed on anybody else but him

Kostov

I agree. I mean you can analyze various moments of the game and say that for:
Situation A: Rashford/ Martial are isolated or received a terrible pass
Situation B: Rashford/Martial have to do much better there

Rashford running out of play, like you said, cannot be blamed on anybody else but him
And his reaction after that was telling, he was frustrated with himself.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And his reaction after that was telling, he was frustrated with himself.
That is what's worrying for me. He's too arrogant this kid when he plays. It made no sense the whole sequence with him running away from his teammates to isolate himself like that. A bit like Lingard vs Juventus where he ran away from the dangerous counter attacking zone.
Why are they so thick ?

Kostov

That is what's worrying for me. He's too arrogant this kid when he plays. It made no sense the whole sequence with him running away from his teammates to isolate himself like that. A bit like Lingard vs Juventus where he ran away from the dangerous counter attacking zone.
Why are they so thick ?
That's a question I so often ask myself watching this team.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I wish he’d stop tracking back and sit high up on the left to kickstart our counters. Best case he’s left one on one with the fb, worst case they have their DM sit deep to cover and we don’t get smothered in CM like we do.

Raven

Your vendetta is pathetic.

I wish he’d stop tracking back and sit high up on the left to kickstart our counters. Best case he’s left one on one with the fb, worst case they have their DM sit deep to cover and we don’t get smothered in CM like we do.
If he doesn't track back Jose will bench him

yfoFC

Whatever that means. Sometimes people want to criticize a player without any depth or analysis as to how or why said player couldn't win them the game, or even get the ball whenever they were making runs. My itch has been scratched a while ago, Martial is back to where he belongs in the starting line up and is being decisive. Only, I'm not going to expect anything more than what he did today when you look at the state of the midfield, especially against a team like City. But I guess it's easier to just blame without thinking too much into it.

As far as pre-worded posts, mine was actually a direct response to another poster. Sometimes, it's like people don't have much to contribute to the conversation so they resort to passive-aggressive posts without an ounce of analysis or intelligence behind it.

Haha, you misunderstand me

I meant the "pre-worded posts" for the person you were replying to @NinjaFletch

I was actually supporting you bro

yfoFC

Also it is quite damning of our midfield that martial had to step back and pick out the run of lukaku which created our goal and is something they Never did once throughout the game... He had to do the job of the midfielders which they were failing pathetically at

And then we get posts like he needs to be more "involved", "inspirational" and some other arrant nonsense but can you tell me what is more "inspirational" than stepping up to do the job of your other players, creating our best chance and then stepping up to slot home the PK?

Not to mention sparking the comeback against Newcastle, going on a scoring run that coincided with our best results run and being one of the main reasons we got our best result of the season against Juve just a couple of days back... in short, carrying our entire attack on his shoulders

What more do you want from a player who all agree isn't the finished article in such a dysfunctional team?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm genuinely curious to what you think he should have done considering our 3 DMF are so limited at passing the ball forward, he needed to drop extra deep in order to receive the ball, but by then it was him vs. whole City's defense considering we weren't really all that into attacking to begin with.
After we scored, there was a period of about 10 minutes of so where we had the ball on our left wing with Martial. He kept trying to cross with his left and failed to create a single opportunity. Conversely, against Juventus, in a similar period, he ripped that side to pieces. I think he lacks the intelligence.

Fracture90

After we scored, there was a period of about 10 minutes of so where we had the ball on our left wing with Martial. He kept trying to cross with his left and failed to create a single opportunity. Conversely, against Juventus, in a similar period, he ripped that side to pieces. I think he lacks the intelligence.
We were actually attacking for a moment against Juventus and he had somewhat of a support in Shaw and Pogba, latter being the one who could actually make a pass should the opportunity presents itself.

Seriously you suggesting he could or should have done more yesterday is basically asking for him to go full Messi.

Trizy

It's a tactic by City and Juventus (at O.T). As good as Martial got the ball, Walker was up his arse and support came instantly to double up on him. We were sitting too deep for Martial to catch Walker 1v1 with a bit of space. The exact same thing happen vs Juventus at O.T and first half in Turin. It was only when Juventus went 3 at the back Martial at the space to attack and run at the defense.

I don't understand how our fans expect Martial to beat 2 players every time he gets the ball. He's our only attacking threat, double up on him and you'll stop him, just like all players. This wouldn't be the case if we actually had something to offer from the right side as the defenders would be too preoccupied. But we don't, we haven't had a good RW player since prime Nani.

Di Maria's angel

We were actually attacking for a moment against Juventus and he had somewhat of a support in Shaw and Pogba, latter being the one who could actually make a pass should the opportunity presents itself.

Seriously you suggesting he could or should have done more yesterday is basically asking for him to go full Messi.
What? So Messi is the only attacker capable of playing against the mighty Kyle Walker?

My point is, if he used his head a little more, he could easily make some space for himself. He either comes far too deep for the ball or never sticks to the wing. The way the goal posts change for each player on this forum is ironic.

Di Maria's angel

It's a tactic by City and Juventus (at O.T). As good as Martial got the ball, Walker was up his arse and support came instantly to double up on him. We were sitting too deep for Martial to catch Walker 1v1 with a bit of space. The exact same thing happen vs Juventus at O.T and first half in Turin. It was only when Juventus went 3 at the back Martial at the space to attack and run at the defense.

I don't understand how our fans expect Martial to beat 2 players every time he gets the ball. He's our only attacking threat, double up on him and you'll stop him, just like all players. This wouldn't be the case if we actually had something to offer from the right side as the defenders would be too preoccupied. But we don't, we haven't had a good RW player since prime Nani.
There was a point in yesterdays game where Sane glided past every player in our team yet you're telling me theres no Martial can get past two players?

Valencia Shin Crosses

There was a point in yesterdays game where Sane glided past every player in our team yet you're telling me theres no Martial can get past two players?
It's a big difference going against De Sciglio and Kyle Walker, and then going against Ashley fecking Young. Plus Sane had more space than Martial ever did in that game, especially since we were throwing people forward at that point.

This is the same thing that teams have been doing to Tony since midway through his first year with us. Double up on him every time he gets the ball on the left, and allow space to be had on the right side because they know we don't have a player that will punish them accordingly. Young operates in acres of space almost every game that Martial plays because the entire defense is shifted towards one side of the field, but rarely does he put any decent delivery into the box, so teams let him have it. Plus, we haven't had a decent RW in ages to solve the problem either. The day we decide to actually buy one (fingers crossed), is the day you'll see Martial back to skinning his defender regularly and having more space. Right now teams just disregard the entire right wing and let us mindlessly cross it in from there, knowing nothing will come of it. It drives me crazy though when fans complain about Martial not taking on his man, when he has two guys standing in front of them, because if he did and screwed up people would be bashing him for being selfish and trying to do it all himself.

Di Maria's angel

It's a big difference going against De Sciglio and Kyle Walker, and then going against Ashley fecking Young. Plus Sane had more space than Martial ever did in that game, especially since we were throwing people forward at that point.

This is the same thing that teams have been doing to Tony since midway through his first year with us. Double up on him every time he gets the ball on the left, and allow space to be had on the right side because they know we don't have a player that will punish them accordingly. Young operates in acres of space almost every game that Martial plays because the entire defense is shifted towards one side of the field, but rarely does he put any decent delivery into the box, so teams let him have it. Plus, we haven't had a decent RW in ages to solve the problem either. The day we decide to actually buy one (fingers crossed), is the day you'll see Martial back to skinning his defender regularly and having more space. Right now teams just disregard the entire right wing and let us mindlessly cross it in from there, knowing nothing will come of it. It drives me crazy though when fans complain about Martial not taking on his man, when he has two guys standing in front of them, because if he did and screwed up people would be bashing him for being selfish and trying to do it all himself.
OK. Lets just make these excuses for every player, that way we never have to say anything bad about any player.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Laporte and Stone probably spent more time in our half then Martial did in theirs.

Trizy

With fresh legs ran in a straight line across the field while our players lined up on the 18 yard line scared shitless to move more than 2 yards outside our box. Not exactly impressive as what Hazard and Messi do now, is it?

Fracture90

What? So Messi is the only attacker capable of playing against the mighty Kyle Walker?

My point is, if he used his head a little more, he could easily make some space for himself. He either comes far too deep for the ball or never sticks to the wing. The way the goal posts change for each player on this forum is ironic.
You didn't get the point I was alluding to, he was alone vs. Walker and another player most of the time, he was always doubled.

He can use his head but it matters little when he's doomed to do stuff on his own without any backup.

The reason he comes too deep for the ball is because there was no one remotely capable of making a proper pass in our MF yesterday, hence why not only him, but Rashford and Lingard as well had to drop deep in order to get the ball.

You're arguing all the wrong points here.

Di Maria's angel

With fresh legs ran in a straight line across the field while our players lined up on the 18 yard line scared shitless to move more than 2 yards outside our box. Not exactly impressive as what Hazard and Messi do now, is it?
So, what is he capable of? I mean, he's rated as our best attacker but we can't expect more from him? Like I said to another poster, it feels like he's afforded every excuse in the book in comparison to other players.

Canagel

What point are you trying to make here? I don't understand.. do you think actually believe he could've done any more yesterday?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So, what is he capable of? I mean, he's rated as our best attacker but we can't expect more from him? Like I said to another poster, it feels like he's afforded every excuse in the book in comparison to other players.
Which other players?

Di Maria's angel

You didn't get the point I was alluding to, he was alone vs. Walker and another player most of the time, he was always doubled.

He can use his head but it matters little when he's doomed to do stuff on his own without any backup.

The reason he comes too deep for the ball is because there was no one remotely capable of making a proper pass in our MF yesterday, hence why not only him, but Rashford and Lingard as well had to drop deep in order to get the ball.

You're arguing all the wrong points here.
Nah, I'm really not. They're all young so I'm very confident they'll learn. However, they lack the basic principles of the game. One of those being movement.

There was another instance in the game where Young delivered a delightful ball from the right across the goal. All three stood still and let Ederson claim it. In my opinion, Rashford, Lingard and Martial are capable of so much more than yesterday. Yes, it'd be helpful if we could have more of the ball. However, against a Pep team, that's always going to be unlikely.

We had around 35% possession and probably 40% after the first 10 minutes - that's actually not a bad amount of the ball. Unfortunately, we did very little with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.