Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

How good is Griezeman?

I must admit I don't watch Spanish football but the fact that Aspas scored like 24 goals or something leads me to suspect that the quality is not that good beyond the top few teams (players like Soldado scored well in the past, etc).

How good is he compared to, say, Alexis Sanchez or Kane?
You can't compare him to Kane. Completely different player. Sanchez is more valid and I'd say Griezmann is a better player with a better mentality.

Also, comparing the leagues, well Costa, Aguero, Torres did equal or better even in England and that's just three Atletico players for example. One could say Griezmann would get more free reign in England and in United's set up (especially with Pogba) than he ever had under Cholo.

He's got a lot to his game. The obvious is that he's a phenomenal finisher up there with the most clinical in Europe and he's good in the air. He's also excellent and linking up and very unselfish - often sets his teammates up on a silver platter. His passing is very good and his intelligence and tactical discipline top notch. Though he's played mostly directly through the middle, in a lot of big games that are tight he's gone out left to pick up the ball and came in with successes.

In short; he will work his bollocks off and give him a decent sniff of goal and he'll put it away more often than not. He will find somebody in a better position other times. He can also strike a ball from distance.

A great player in the prime of his career that is hungry to win the biggest titles. It's about as logical as any transfer I can think of.

Peanut Butter

Is it wrong to wish this was done before the final so it takes the pressure off? To know we can sign the targets we wanted would take the pressure off for me as a watching supporter.
He is coming regardless of tomorrow's outcome I reckon. People overrate being in the CL group stages, it's not the be all and end all. Money talks as does the size and prestige of the club you're moving to.

Atletico to Utd is a huge step up for any player - yes, the current Atletico are a better side than us but what have they actually won over the last few decades? One title? That was a Leicester as well - we won't see Real or Borelona NOT win most Spanish trophies over the next decade and Griezmann knows this.

An Irish Red

I think people grossly overestimate what is required to win this league by claiming that every position needs to be world class. It really doesn't.

Liverpool nearly won the league off the back of Suarez while having average players elsewhere. Sign players like Griezmann and we're nearly there.

Sparky Rhiwabon

You can't compare him to Kane. Completely different player. Sanchez is more valid and I'd say Griezmann is a better player with a better mentality.

Also, comparing the leagues, well Costa, Aguero, Torres did equal or better even in England and that's just three Atletico players for example. One could say Griezmann would get more free reign in England and in United's set up (especially with Pogba) than he ever had under Cholo.

He's got a lot to his game. The obvious is that he's a phenomenal finisher up there with the most clinical in Europe and he's good in the air. He's also excellent and linking up and very unselfish - often sets his teammates up on a silver platter. His passing is very good and his intelligence and tactical discipline top notch. Though he's played mostly directly through the middle, in a lot of big games that are tight he's gone out left to pick up the ball and came in with successes.

In short; he will work his bollocks off and give him a decent sniff of goal and he'll put it away more often than not. He will find somebody in a better position other times. He can also strike a ball from distance.

A great player in the prime of his career that is hungry to win the biggest titles. It's about as logical as any transfer I can think of.
Thanks. Let's hope we beat Ajax and sign him then!

Just one observation though, I believe that both Costa (known as Diego back then) and Aguero both played more as "second strikers" in Spain whereas they play as main lone strikers in EPL so that might explain their more goals here. Not sure about Torres.

Inter Yer Nan

Thanks. Let's hope we beat Ajax and sign him then!

Just one observation though, I believe that both Costa (known as Diego back then) and Aguero both played more as "second strikers" in Spain whereas they play as main lone strikers in EPL so that might explain their more goals here. Not sure about Torres.
Costa was the point of the attack. Villa played off him.

itso 7

I think people grossly overestimate what is required to win this league by claiming that every position needs to be world class. It really doesn't.

Liverpool nearly won the league off the back of Suarez while having average players elsewhere. Sign players like Griezmann and we're nearly there.
Yeah its goals that win this league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You honestly think we'll be going for an even more high profile player than an 86m man!?

So you basically think we're getting one of Messi, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo or Lewandowski then
I have a feeling Ed will try for Neymar again.

Saying that though we won't get him, we will end up getting a few others though.

Inter Yer Nan

I have a feeling Ed will try for Neymar again.

Saying that though we won't get him, we will end up getting a few others though.
Depending on how next season goes (assuming with Griezmann) I think Neymar will be the talk of next summer. A lot more complicated deal and obviously Woody probably has him as his priority and I'm sure Jose or any manager with eyes will want him. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Stacks

2008 to 2013.

As for the bold part, I believe finishing is what cost us this season. For large parts of the season we were not winning games we really should have. 15 is an abnormally high number of games to draw and its not like we were drawing games we should have lost.
hmmmm. in that period they won the title twice, finished 2nd every other time and made CL semis 3 times. we are at the stage where we can barely finish in a champions league place through our own domestic league. i.e. we typically finish 5th or lower. Our average position is 5th actually. We are nowhere near a team that is competitive in the CL and are literally scraping through Europe's lower tier competition. That isn't all down to finishing. On the point of finishing, if all good teams took all their chances, they would all have 100+ points. Its part of the game. Clearly its more than finishing. Spurs have created more opportunities than us and Chelsea so perhaps they would be league champions if their finishing was better as they already many points ahead? same for City who from my recollection were woeful finishing at home. So many poor home results. I think most of the top teams are let down by their finishing to be honest, it isn't solely a United issue to fix.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

If he is not welcome then surely he is coming whatever the outcome tomorrow and with their transfer ban.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

If he is not welcome then surely he is coming whatever the outcome tomorrow and with their transfer ban.
He must have known the reaction his comments would get. Players these days at the top of the game are well versed in how to respond to a tricky question with a safe reply. All he had to say was, "Who knows what will happen in the future", which seems to be the standard reply of every footballer in the world when asked about a potential move.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Aye, can't see him staying at Atletico after these quotes. Reckon he'll come even if we miss out on a place in the CL.

Paxi

Antoine Griezmann left the door open for Atletico Madrid in the last hours. He was left wanting for Manchester United talking about chances of signing for the English club. The speculation had and has an origin, which is none other than the offer arrived from England, as Mourinho puts on the table 14 million euros to convince the French. Atletico refers to the 100 million euros contained in its clause Of termination, refusing in the beginning to negotiate the possible departure of the French. Mourinho has demanded a revolution in the current United squad to be able to aspire to higher heights than to fight for the Europa League and to stay out of the Champions League with the sixth place in the Premier.Griezmann, advised by Eric Olhats, scout responsible Of his arrival at the Royal Society, has not decided whether to accept the offer arrived from England. Before accepting it intends to speak with the rojiblancos leaders and to verify the intention of Atletico of a conditioned future in case he can sign or not next summer. Madrid does not consider his signing. Real Madrid has been another of the clubs that have followed closely the Evolutions of the striker. In the white entity now do not consider his signing but for a few weeks if he found himself in the Madrid point of view.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Aye, can't see him staying at Atletico after these quotes. Reckon he'll come even if we miss out on a place in the CL.
He might not really have a choice now.

Paxi

He must have known the reaction his comments would get. Players these days at the top of the game are well versed in how to respond to a tricky question with a safe reply. All he had to say was, "Who knows what will happen in the future", which seems to be the standard reply of every footballer in the world when asked about a potential move.

Absolutely. All players now are media trained. He has certainly changed his stance from his interview on Cadena SER just last week where he said that he's happy at Atleti and any suitors would just have to speak to Gil Martin. Quite a change, indeed. I really do not see him saying anything like what he said yesterday, unless the deal was agonisingly close. Which is amazing I suppose, as he's an incredible player.

Mister_Stubbs

Nothing but positive signs coming from the right people at the moment.. can also see this deal happen regardless of tomorrows result.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Sturridge was unplayable that season too

cyberman

Complete guesswork. It's just over 24 hrs since he made the fecking comments and now he's flip flopping this way and that? If staying were a possibility he wouldn't have bothered with this until he was sure.

PoTMS

Meh, we all hated De Gea for a while until the fax machine intervened and then a few weeks later he signed a new contract. Football fans are fickle. If a move doesn't end up materialising, the Atletico fans will forgive and forget.

littlepeasoup

Meh, we all hated De Gea for a while until the fax machine intervened and then a few weeks later he signed a new contract. Football fans are fickle. If a move doesn't end up materialising, the Atletico fans will forgive and forget.
To be fair to DDG he didn't openly throw his toys at the pram or publicly talk up a move away, I think that's why most fans welcomed him back. We all knew he wanted to leave (and lots of people didn't blame him for wanting away), but he didn't disrespect the club, at least in my eyes.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Antoine Griezmann left the door open for Atletico Madrid in the last hours. He was left wanting for Manchester United talking about chances of signing for the English club. The speculation had and has an origin, which is none other than the offer arrived from England, as Mourinho puts on the table 14 million euros to convince the French. Atletico refers to the 100 million euros contained in its clause Of termination, refusing in the beginning to negotiate the possible departure of the French. Mourinho has demanded a revolution in the current United squad to be able to aspire to higher heights than to fight for the Europa League and to stay out of the Champions League with the sixth place in the Premier.Griezmann, advised by Eric Olhats, scout responsible Of his arrival at the Royal Society, has not decided whether to accept the offer arrived from England. Before accepting it intends to speak with the rojiblancos leaders and to verify the intention of Atletico of a conditioned future in case he can sign or not next summer. Madrid does not consider his signing. Real Madrid has been another of the clubs that have followed closely the Evolutions of the striker. In the white entity now do not consider his signing but for a few weeks if he found himself in the Madrid point of view.
Reads like something from the Daily Mirror.

TheMod

Does anyone know the date when Atletico find out about whether their appeal of the transfer ban to the Court of Arbitration has been a success or failure?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It doesn't come as a shock that he was able to perform with Suarez in the team mate.
Tbh Sturridge has always performed he's genuinely a great striker, it's just his body is paper mache these days.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does anyone know the date when Atletico find out about whether their appeal of the transfer ban to the Court of Arbitration has been a success or failure?
Next week/1st or 2nd of June

Status
Not open for further replies.