g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This one's just the starter.

I have a feeling the main course could be pretty tasty :drool:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Aurier, Marquinhos, Alba likely? :lol:

It is more likelier to see De Gea in goal than one of the three line up for us.
Aurier is definitely gettable.

Marquinhos is difficult, but I can't see any alternatives in the market and Mourinho will definitely be in the market for a top top CB this summer, he'll want either Varane or Marquinhos. I can't see him settling for anything less.

Alba, might be replaced as part of the overhaul needed at Barca. Might, just might be gettable but again it is another position where Mourinho will be craving top class experience.. and if Mendy goes City, he won't want to be caught with his pants down relying on Darmian or Shaw.

Borden

If we win tomorrow and he signs before the weekend, he can say he's joined the current "Europa League, Community Shield, FA Cup & League Cup holders"

Not too bad a club to join if you want to win stuff. Rashford has probably won more in 15 months as a United player than Griezmann has in his career.

And if Griezmann has confidence in his own ability, he'll be able to help towards the PL title.
The only one of those trophies worth bragging about is the FA cup though, and we won't be holders for more than 4 more days. Not really that impressive a list. I doubt Griezmann gives a toss about the EL, CS and League Cup. He'll want to win the PL and CL, with the FA cup as a bonus. And we shouldn't be aiming any lower either.

RedStarUnited

What period was this? almost every team regularly challenged for their domestic league. They have finished 1st or 2nd for almost the last 10 years straight. we haven't even been in the picture for 4 straight seasons. Its not even about winning it, just a mere challenge or be in contention. 7th,4th,5th,6th doesn't seem like a side that is on the rise to something special. I wonder what stage you think we are at?
2008 to 2013.

As for the bold part, I believe finishing is what cost us this season. For large parts of the season we were not winning games we really should have. 15 is an abnormally high number of games to draw and its not like we were drawing games we should have lost.

Von Mistelroum

People seem to be going a bit overboard here. I'd LOVE to see Griezmann sign for us, but isn't he currently negotiating for a new contract with Atletico? Surely this is very likely to be a tactic to improve his position in negotiations?

My ideal team for next season would definitely include him if possible, but I don't really see why he'd come here other than money atm.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why is it in your graphic only 3 players can move?

At least pogba can go backwards...the poor fullbacks cant.
If I start giving everyone arrows.. I'll end up losing my shit.

tomaldinho1

What other clubs? The only other club mentioned was Real Madrid and they were given a no chance. The 6 out of 10 was pretty logical. CL is probably important BUT we have to have an offer accepted. So giving Athletico a 7 or higher number was obvious as it's too early to give much away. When he say's 6? It's probably an 8 ;) . We've obviously talked to him. I think he was aware of the questions and this is part of the game. It's disrespectful to the fans and the supporters but they reason it away. He could have said, he's heard nothing or it's in the hands of his agent. Look at how the player celebrates! He's a player and he's just having a bit of fun. Look how after xmas he was starting to 'get irritated' and now he's relaxed....it's all a show not to let the cat out the bad so soon and during a big period for his club. I would assume he did them a favour staying another year. That's just the feeling I get because he had a chance to say - if the coach stays I stay and he didn't....he didn't even given them a 10. He gave them a 7.
The clubs he would rather go to. That's my point.

He probably has an offer from United on the table, he's not sure on United but no other clubs are committing. What better way to generate some interest than effectively saying a) he is open to leaving Atleti and b) he's not blown away by the Man Utd opportunity. Has pissed me off because I think Man Utd have effectively become a bargaining chip to many players (think Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos) because we are cash rich and a desperate to hire superstar names.

RedStarUnited

I just realized....He has never actually won anything. Rashford in his 18 month career has more medals than him! No wonder he wants to leave.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I just realized....He has never actually won anything. Rashford in his 18 month career has more medals than him! No wonder he wants to leave.
Heard that last night, was he not in the squad that won La Liga a few years back?

ypsipeos

It's easier to score in Spanish League.
I would like to add this here because everyone thinks that buying a proven La Liga scorer will also buy you a definite EPL scorer.

So, some examples of strikers that were good or better in Spain, but crap or worse in EPL and other champions.

Kanoute
- He was African Footballer of the year (2007, Sevilla), but mediocre for the two London teams he played for, West Ham and Tottenham. He scored 1 goal per 2 games for Sevilla, but achieved only a 1:3 and 1:4 ratio for West Ham and Tottenham respectively.

Ricardo Oliveira - He always scored in a 1:2 ratio for every Spanish team he played for. Milan? It was 3 goals in 26 games. Almost 1:3.

Roberto Soldado - For Getafe and Valencia combined he scored more than one goal per 2 games, for Tottenham he was a crappaticious crap.

Adnriy Shevchenko - ... no words... OK, he didn't play in Spain, but the amount of crappiness we witnessed, proved how difficult the EPL is.

FrantikChicken

Those words are from a player that has decided to leave, knows where he is going and knows there's nothing his club can do about it.
That's what it sounds like to me as well, except maybe he's still picking between a couple of different offers.

Does anyone know if he's good friends with Pogba? I feel like that could potentially help influence his decision

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

I'd love to see this.. but more likely to see this..

The first XI would cost about 500m and replaces 8 starting players. The second is more realistic, but there's no way we'll see three new starters in the back line (four if you include Dier as CDM).

Striker, AM, CM, LB, CB. Five players tops I think, and not all will be marquee names.

midnightmare

I would like to add this here because everyone thinks that buying a proven La Liga scorer will also buy you a definite EPL scorer.

So, some examples of strikers that were good or better in Spain, but crap or worse in EPL and other champions.

Kanoute
- He was African Footballer of the year (2007, Sevilla), but mediocre for the two London teams he played for, West Ham and Tottenham. He scored 1 goal per 2 games for Sevilla, but achieved only a 1:3 and 1:4 ratio for West Ham and Tottenham respectively.

Ricardo Oliveira - He always scored in a 1:2 ratio for every Spanish team he played for. Milan? It was 3 goals in 26 games. Almost 1:3.

Roberto Soldado - For Getafe and Valencia combined he scored more than one goal per 2 games, for Tottenham he was a crappaticious crap.

Adnriy Shevchenko - ... no words... OK, he didn't play in Spain, but the amount of crappiness we witnessed, proved how difficult the EPL is.
This is the kind of argument I just don't get. Off the top of my head:
1. Fernando Torres
2. Diego Costa
3. Sergio Aguero

That's just three from Atleti who moved. So, should we now say that buying an Atletico striker is a virtual guarantee of success?

Wan

People seem to be going a bit overboard here. I'd LOVE to see Griezmann sign for us, but isn't he currently negotiating for a new contract with Atletico? Surely this is very likely to be a tactic to improve his position in negotiations?

My ideal team for next season would definitely include him if possible, but I don't really see why he'd come here other than money atm.
Pogba, Mkhi and Zlatan says hello.

Think a little.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
1. Fernando Torres
2. Diego Costa
3. Sergio Aguero

That's just three from Atleti who moved. So, should we now say that buying an Atletico striker is a virtual guarantee of success?
David Silva

Mihai

Just think he's a bit wee. I suppose if we drop Martial we could fit him in, just think we're suckered for always buying the same position rather than what we need.
We need people who can score. Our problem this year wasn't against big team, but rather teams like Stoke, Hull, liverpool etc.

We can play with AG as a second striker/ attacking midfielder.

ypsipeos

1. Fernando Torres
2. Diego Costa
3. Sergio Aguero

They were not worse, that's for sure. But I think they would have scored even more goals and each one of them would have lasted more seasons without injuries. Torres had stated something like "the pace of english football is torturing my body, I won't be able to carry on like this".\

My point is not "Don't buy Griezmann". My point is "let's see what happens".

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
There's an interesting article on FFT on why Griezmann would be perfect for us: https://goo.gl/fSmRuC

There are plenty of superficial reasons why Antoine Griezmann would make a suitable signing for Manchester United. The Atletico Madrid forward, strongly linked with a costly summer move to Old Trafford, is a prolific striker in his prime at 26 years old, with enough allure to woo fans and sell shirts. Ed Woodward, United executive vice-chairman and commercial king, would surely be pleased.

But so would Jose Mourinho, for very different reasons. Most observers will identify the Frenchman as one of the world’s leading strikers, the top scorer and player of the tournament at the Euros last year, and the star of Atletico. Yet what makes him particularly attractive to United is that his qualities already seem tailor-made for the project Mourinho is trying to build.

One part of that is down to Griezmann’s sheer talent and versatility. The other centres on the high degree of commonality between Mourinho and Diego Simeone.
BETTER THAN ZLATAN

The ‘technical’ factors are the most obvious. Griezmann is both a sharp finisher and a playmaker capable of dropping deep. His goalscoring record at Atleti is not in the class of Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, but it is consistent: he hit 22 league goals in each of his first two seasons, and has struck 16 this campaign.

All this for a team that use a more reactive style than Barcelona and Real Madrid, in which Griezmann has often operated as the deepest of two strikers.

Certainly, his efficiency is unquestionable. Over his three seasons at Atleti, the Frenchman has put away 23.4% of his shots, a superb average that would sharpen a blunt United attack. To compare, the much-lauded Zlatan Ibrahimovic has averaged 14.8% this season.

Griezmann would also give Mourinho versatility. He can play up front, behind the striker or on either flank. He can provide lively movement around Ibrahimovic, or feed Marcus Rashford from deep. Stats reflect his blossoming playmaking skills: Griezmann recorded one assist in his debut season at Atleti, but has made 12 over the subsequent two campaigns. Since his breakthrough year, his key passes per game have jumped from 0.6 to 1.6 and his passes per game from 23.9 to 35.3.

Adding to that is a surprisingly strong aerial game. That leaves you with an all-round attacker that would add new dimensions to this stale United attack.

And then you have the other crucial element: the mental qualities instilled by Simeone.
THE SIMEONE PARALLEL

Mourinho and Simeone have much in common. They are fiery motivators who prefer direct and intense football to slow possession play. They usually base their tactics on solid defending and counter-attacking. Intolerant of luxury players, they demand blood, sweat and tears.

At Atleti, Simeone has channelled this through punishing fitness work and mental growth. He parrots the virtues of fighting each day and never giving in – qualities few symbolise like Atleti. He instills in his players a phenomenal capacity to work hard and stick to a gameplan, which is partly how he has come close to bridging the vast financial gap up to Barça and Real Madrid. Looking at his team, there are no exceptions.

Even Griezmann can regularly be seen near his own penalty area, as in the recent semi-final at home to Madrid, harrying players and making clearances.

This is the kind of stuff that warms Mourinho’s heart. The Portuguese manager’s career has featured several disputes with talented attackers averse to defensive work, such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Eden Hazard. He has tried to change them, but has more often had to design the side so that it accommodates these players while compensating for the defensive imbalances they trigger. This never happens under Simeone.

It’s therefore no surprise that Mourinho has targeted Atleti players in the past. There were no transactions when he managed Madrid, who rarely do business with their crosstown rivals, but the second summer after returning to Chelsea he snatched three players from the Vicente Calderon: Thibaut Courtois (recalled from a three-year loan), Diego Costa and Filipe Luis.
HEAVY CHANGES

In this context, it makes particular sense that Mourinho is chasing Griezmann. Since joining Atleti from Real Sociedad in 2014, the forward has been moulded by Simeone, evolving from a threatening winger into an all-round forward.

The growth has not only been technical and positional. The brutal training regime initially left him with heavy legs and an even heavier breath, and he did not get his first league goal until November. But he has adapted. He has credited Simeone with turning him into a winner, and his concentration and endurance now match the high demands Simeone sets.

“Simeone has great rigour, discipline and intensity in workouts,” Griezmann has said. “It changed me completely.”

This means Griezmann has already endured the kind of physical and mental transition that might have been necessary under Mourinho. More than once, Mourinho has sealed a big transfer, only to drop the player because he is not physically or mentally ready; a concept that applies not only to arriving in a new country, but also to a new regime.

One example was Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who got benched at the start of this season even though he was fit, and was only gradually brought into the team once he had spent a few months under his new coach.

The similarities between Mourinho and Simeone would thus reduce the chances of Griezmann failing to adapt at United, which is crucial in a potentially expensive, high-stakes transfer. The required qualities are all there – technically, physically and mentally – and there should be no reason why Griezmann could not have a similar effect to that Costa had at Chelsea in 2014/15.

The match is close to ideal. Now they only need to actually get him.

Wan

Could say the same about every signings then.

Fact is he is a top level player. That's all we need to know.

beingshe7don

na! you cracked the hidden code! Give this man the noble prize! WE got him boysss
I was being sarcastic about the conjecture surrounding Griezmann and what he said in the interview. lol... PS: I wouldn't mind the nobel prize though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The first XI would cost about 500m and replaces 8 starting players. The second is more realistic, but there's no way we'll see three new starters in the back line (four if you include Dier as CDM).

Striker, AM, CM, LB, CB. Five players tops I think, and not all will be marquee names.
Griezmann for under £100m, Bale less than £80m (and if part of De Gea deal, probably worth £10-15m due to his injury situation), Costa £20-40m, Mendy £45m, Aurier £30m, Varane £60m, Oblak £40m

about £300m.

If you sold Mata, Fellaini, Smalling, Jones.. other riffraff, you'd probably get £50m back minimum.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
In English??

This is definetly the saga for this Summer. Can Woody do it again?
Can and will.

I've been saying this all season; with the release clause, all we need to do is make a move.

Of course he will come running to join us.

We are also a lot more likely to win trophies in the next few years than Athletico.

We are going to be Buy some absolute top tier talent this summer.

OohAahMartial

He seems a bit peeved about going out of the CL agaiiin. He said he is 7/10 to stay and only 6/10 to move to us, and that it depends on who Atletico sign--and therefore also on their transfer ban being lifted. If transfer ban is lifted and they sign his mate Lacazette amongst others, and he gets the pay he wants, then he will stay. If not, there is always us. We are being used as part of a negotiating tactic again. He sounds less than enthused about joining us, which is unsurprising if two CL semis and one final is not enough for him. Realistically he is still more likely to win the CL at Atletico than with us.

Gasolin

Think the 6 is the chance he'll resign with Atletico.
No the 6 is really the chance to sign at Manchester United, that's what he says in French. The journalist asks him if he realises what he's saying, and Antoine answered "yes".

Chip

I'd love to see this.. but more likely to see this..

You're quite optimistic, aren't you? :lol: Alba, Marquinhos, Aurier, Dier, Silva, and Griezmann all in this window? I think getting 2-3 of them seems to be a bit of a stretch.

But I wouldn't complain if it actually happened.

Gasolin

Could you please transcribe the entire video into English ?
Journalist: Where will we be next season, Antoine Griezmann?

Antoine: Very good question, I think it will be decided in the next 2 weeks.

J: (drinking)

A: Oh, it's not bad for a response! Without stonewalling.

J: So, not, well, let's say for example, if I tell you Manchester United, like, David Beckam, what do you respond?

A: Possible.

J: (looking at Antoine)

A: Possible.

J: OK. So from 1 to 10, knowing that 10...

A: 10 it's done, right?

J: 10, you signed.

A: Alright, 6.

J: Oh yeah, really? Do you realise what you're saying?

A: Yeah, yeah.

J: Alright. It's the first time you're saying that.

A: Yeah, it's the first time.

J: So there is 6 chances out of 10 to go to Manchester United.

A: Yeah.

J: OK. I was expecting a real stonewalling but I didn't have it, thank you!

Chip

Griezmann for under £100m, Bale less than £80m (and if part of De Gea deal, probably worth £10-15m due to his injury situation), Costa £20-40m, Mendy £45m, Aurier £30m, Varane £60m, Oblak £40m

about £300m.

If you sold Mata, Fellaini, Smalling, Jones.. other riffraff, you'd probably get £50m back minimum.
In today's market, I'd say that we should try to get at least £70-80m for those players. But then again, we often sell at our players at a very generous rate.

Dazzmondo

Kanoute

While you're correct that it's easier to score in La Liga than the Premier League, in no way does that mean we shouldn't get Griezmann. Your argument would be a lot better if we had loads of quality in our team but we do not. He's easily better than any of our front 4 (not counting Zlatan), so it's an improvement even if he can't quite match the numbers he reached at Atletico. As another poster showed, there are plenty of examples of players succeeding in both La Liga and the Premier League as well. Griezmann has also performed to a high level for his country too. If he's available it would make little sense to not sign him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

about £300m.
Griezmann £86m (buyout clause?).
Bale £90m-£100m (no way Real sell for less than £80m when that's the price they want for the likes of Di Maria).
Costa £40m (Bayern don't need to sell, we'd be lucky to get him for £40m truth be told).
Mendy £45m (there will be a lot of bidders).
Aurier £40m (PSG are loaded, but there are problems with Aurier's private life).
Varane £60m (could be more, given his age and the club. De Gea would have to be part of the deal to get both him and Bale in the same window, but I don't see it).
Oblak £50m (we won't get him for 40m if we also buy Griezmann. Atletico have Werner and Moya, but can't see them wanting to lose two of their most important players in the same window).

About £450m I think. You have to go wit the higher end of these estimates because it's us. We have a reputation of paying over the odds for players and that will follow us around until we win the league again and aren't seen as desperate.

Fraud

I always said this: ATM is a club who sells.They pretty much did the same with Aguero, Falcao and Costa. It doesn't matter that much if we win the Europa League or not. The real problem is the transfer ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.