Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
:nervous: There are host of other clubs who are better equipped to win titles than us. Bit about Germany is worrying, I don't think I can stomach another disappointment if Bayern snap him up.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Maybe our resident french speakers could translate.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry

Basically says what we already know, that he's not satisfied playing well and scoring goals if Atletico are not winning trophies. He really wants to win trophies, and says the club, his family, etc. know that.

Then he goes on to say that if he wants to move, then he'll be allowed to do so. Whether it's England, China or the US, he's ready to leave.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Basically says what we already know, that he's not satisfied playing well and scoring goals if Atletico are not winning trophies. He really wants to win trophies, and says the club, his family, etc. know that.

Then he goes on to say that if he wants to move, then he'll be allowed to do so. Whether it's England, China or the US, he's ready to leave.
So why the hell he's coming to United? We're years away from winning EPL titles

CG1010

He's off then.

Very contradictory in saying he wants titles but then says he's happy to go to USA or China as its part of the "trend".

He clearly wants money too. We can help with that.
This. Including USA or China clearly means that it is the salary that is being negotiated. And he is trying to put pressure on us by (1) giving a deadline of 2 weeks to finish this in a way, (2) showing that there are other avenues for him too that will clearly pay him more. But I am shocked he has just candidly announced leaving Athletico Madrid in any case. I don't think the issue is CL anymore.

I can't see us not agreeing to pay him whatever he wants. Afterall, it can't be that more than Ibra's salary.

CM

I can't imagine Atletico and their PR team will be too happy with these comments

ovoxo

A league cup and possibly a EL after tomorrow. We got some trophies for you Griezzy boy:p

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, if you want titles - and I presume he means CL or PL - the 6th placed side in the PL seems a safe bet.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
In terms of trophies we've won 3 in the last 2 years with a chance of 4 with the EL and yeah I'm including the Charity Shield ;) I think despite our problems, we're not 1,000,000 miles away from the premiership. Let's not forget Leicester came out of no where and Chelsea the year before they won it, were poor. We can still come out of this tough season with two good trophies in League cup and Europa League. We've still work to do but we're improving. We just need more quality and we'll see what we do in the summer - but in addition we do have promising youngsters coming through.

Let's not forget how bad it was the last few years where we seemed to lose every other week. The only reason we didn't challenge this season - despite our flaws, was missing too many chances.

JoaquinJoaquin

As crap as we are right now, with 3-4 players coming in the Griezmann mould and we will be right back up there. If we balls up this window though we are in big trouble.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not true tbh.
There isn't a standout top team miles ahead of us in this league. We could conceivably mount a serious challenge next season with the right acquisitions.

On the why? Well I guess Mourinho and the project he is being sold. We'll have to see.

Womp

idiot
:nervous: There are host of other clubs who are better equipped to win titles than us. Bit about Germany is worrying, I don't think I can stomach another disappointment if Bayern snap him up.
No chance in hell Bayern will cop out 100m for Griezmann.

AgentP

We are the only club that's really in for him. The other clubs are either not interested or can't afford to pay his release clause. The EL win will seal it for us but even if we don't win it, we still have a pretty solid chance to sign him.

pascell

He's off then.

Very contradictory in saying he wants titles but then says he's happy to go to USA or China as its part of the "trend".

He clearly wants money too. We can help with that.
Like I said in the Twitter thread, I think it's us or Bayern. If we don't get CL he'll head over there, maybe this openness to leaving will lower his price.

Dazzmondo

Wow, that's a very open comment about probably leaving. Talks about wanting to win trophies with Atl Madrid and that they are quite close but we lose each time. Says the reason he plays football is to win trophies. He then outright says if I have to leave this season it won't be a problem, mentioning England, Germany, China, and the US as possible destinations. He says he is ready to leave. Then it just mentions his previous comment on a 6/10 chance he joins Utd.

midnightmare

Jose typically likes his signings wrapped up early. Been a signature of his in earlier clubs. Last season, he himself entered late, but I reckon most of the signings were closed earlier. The Euros delayed a lot of announcements. This one seems like a go to me. I can't see AG moving to China or the US and he's negated the chance of moving to Real, leaving Bayern, Juve and the English clubs. Juve don't need a striker and won't bust the record again this year (no Pogba sale to fund another Higuaín-like fee for a forward they don't need!). Bayern too don't specifically need him and they typically don't go overboard on the fees. That leaves the English clubs of which we'd be the most obvious bets.

Can't see Woody failing if it's a money matter; and I think he's right. We need the glamour, the big name signings and a series of major purchases to get to the level of Real and Barca over the years. This is yet another step in the right direction.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Like I said in the Twitter thread, I think it's us or Bayern. If we don't get CL he'll head over there, maybe this openness to leaving will lower his price.
Can Bayern afford him ad his wages?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wow, that's a very open comment about probably leaving. Talks about wanting to win trophies with Atl Madrid and that they are quite close but we lose each time. Says the reason he plays football is to win trophies. He then outright says if I have to leave this season it won't be a problem, mentioning England, Germany, China, and the US as possible destinations. He says he is ready to leave. Then it just mentions his previous comment on a 6/10 chance he joins Utd.
Yup and apart from this article, it was mentioned few times that United were first to present him interest and the actual offer with detailed plan of Jose's project... not to mention United are actually ones who are ready to pay required amount, straight away.

The whole deal looks extremely open and now him talking to the press directly about United confirms many things.

King Eric 7

Think he went too far with the 6/10 comment and has been advised to speak as if he's keeping all options open. That would make sense before putting pen to paper with us.

ZAGREB RED

I think he wants to stay at Atletico, especially if Simeone stays on.

Cassidy

Think he went too far with the 6/10 comment and has been advised to speak as if he's keeping all options open. That would make sense before putting pen to paper with us.
Agree

devilish

We're not.
As crap as we are right now, with 3-4 players coming in the Griezmann mould and we will be right back up there. If we balls up this window though we are in big trouble.
Not true tbh.
There isn't a standout top team miles ahead of us in this league. We could conceivably mount a serious challenge next season with the right acquisitions.

On the why? Well I guess Mourinho and the project he is being sold. We'll have to see.
It seems that I stuck a nerve here. So lets get to business

a- We're not the type of club to go for just 1 cup (ie we're not Liverpool). That means we will charge on all fronts and we will continue doing so until its mathematically impossible for us to win that title or cup. That requires a huge squad both in terms of players and quality

b- We seriously lack quality. If we remove the hype surrounding players such as the English answer to Fabio Da Silva, Luke Shaw, Smallingbauer, Jones and co then we probably need 6 players (CB, LB, DM*2, RW, LW, Stk). No club can bring so many top quality talent in 1 transfer window

c- Players don’t freeze in time. Some grow old, others lose hope in the club’s ability to win stuff etc. Take last season as an example. We brought one of the best CMs in the world only to notice that Carrick is simply too old to back him up. Therefore we were forced to rely on Fellaini to partner Pogba. Its like installing a mini minor engine on the Starship Enterprise. That means we’ll have to spend more £££ in CM despite already spent over 110m in Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba. If we sign Griezmann then that would be a coup. On the other hand we will probably lose DDG who had been so influential for us throughout the years. That’s the sort of catch 22 this club is facing on a yearly basis. The year after we’ll probably have to replace Valencia

d- Systems need time to be built. You cant just put a horde of world class players together and simply expect them to do well from day 1.Even the greatest man manager in football history needed years before he could win the EPL title and he had Robson in midfield not Fellaini.

Don’t take me wrong there are positives in our team. Martial and Rashford will become WC players and if I had to describe our youths performance against Palace in one word then that would be WOW. However, while I admit that Mou is a magnificent manager, I don’t see him as the right person to take the most out of those kids. We need a SAF and there’s no one like him

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They 'can' afford him if they actually want to. The thing is that they have generally wanted to not go too overboard with either transfers or wages. So it would be a change of direction for them. Well, I guess maybe not wages if he was willing to accept a bit lower than what the likes of ourselves, City, Chelsea, PSG were willing to pay (I'm sure it would still be a significant boost from what he's getting at the moment from Atletico).

Cassidy

a- We're not the type of club to go for just 1 cup (ie we're not Liverpool). That means we will charge on all fronts and we will continue doing so until its mathematically impossible for us to win that title or cup. That requires a huge squad both in terms of players and quality

b- We seriously lack quality. If we remove the hype surrounding players such as the English answer to Fabio Da Silva, Luke Shaw, Smallingbauer, Jones and co then we probably need 6 players (CB, LB, DM*2, RW, LW, Stk). No club can bring so many top quality talent in 1 transfer window

c- Players don’t freeze in time. Some grow old, others lose hope in the club’s ability to win stuff etc. Take last season as an example. We brought one of the best CMs in the world only to notice that Carrick is simply too old to back him up. Therefore we were forced to rely on Fellaini to partner Pogba. Its like installing a mini minor engine on the Starship Enterprise. That means we’ll have to spend more £££ in CM despite already spent over 110m in Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba. If we sign Griezmann then that would be a coup. On the other hand we will probably lose DDG who had been so influential for us throughout the years. That’s the sort of catch 22 this club is facing on a yearly basis. The year after we’ll probably have to replace Valencia

d- Systems need time to be built. You cant just put a horde of world class players together and simply expect them to do well from day 1.Even the greatest man manager in football history needed years before he could win the EPL title and he had Robson in midfield not Fellaini.

Don’t take me wrong there are positives in our team. Martial and Rashford will become WC players and if I had to describe our youths performance against Palace in one word then that would be WOW. However, while I admit that Mou is a magnificent manager, I don’t see him as the right person to take the most out of those kids. We need a SAF and there’s no one like him
I was talking in comparison to our rivals. I don't think we're at the levels of the top clubs. However non of our domestic rivals are either.
Also their squads also need a lot of work too.
Chelsea probably ahead a lot, but not a gap that cannot be closed. Spurs lack depth, City have about as much work to do as we do. Arsenal are Arsenal etc.

devilish

I was talking in comparison to our rivals. I don't think we're at the levels of the top clubs. However non of our domestic rivals are either.
Chelsea probably ahead a lot, but not a gap that cannot be closed. Spurs lack depth, City have about as much work to do as we do. Arsenal are Arsenal etc.
Assuming that Mou can find the right top quality players AND leaders to fit in this team than maybe its possible. However there are not many of those type of players around.

Adnandos

So keen to see his little darting runs and one-twos with Pogba/Herrera/Mkhi/Mata/Rashford/Silva? :drool:

Also don't know why people don't think we could get the best out of both him and Pogba. France do just fine, Griezmann was scoring for fun at the Euros and Pogba played great

Varun

Staff

My point is simply because I don't rate the clubs we're competing against that highly. With the right signings and a system that uses them well, I see no reason why we can't win the title in 2yrs. We're not up against the Barcas and Reals of this world so it's just about being the best of a good lot rather than overtaking top drawer teams.

Varun

Staff
Argh, could have saved myself some time had I seen this before starting my reply.

Cantona_Forever

You don't have confidence in our team. Great! Nobody's confident we will win the Treble in 99 with Dwight Yorke either. Football is bloody hell that way, so over-analyzing thing can be useless.

gica_7

Bayern can afford any player that they want. The question is whether they will pursue Griezmann. They already have Muller in his place. Griezmann is obviously a better player than him but do they really need Griezmann when they have that kind of attack and plus probably Alexis. Only challenge that we face could have been Juve, but I am not sure they will push him.

From what I see, if we manage to win tomorrow, he is ours. Simple as that. United is not too much far away from the titles. Turn those draws into wins, you are in the race. Buying players like Griezmann is the only way to do it.

Cassidy

Assuming that Mou can find the right top quality players AND leaders to fit in this team than maybe its possible. However there are not many of those type of players around.
Griezmann is one ;) Pogba was one too.
Its down to how he gets everything working next season.

devilish

You don't have confidence in our team. Great! Nobody's confident we will win the Treble in 99 with Dwight Yorke either. Football is bloody hell that way, so over-analyzing thing can be useless.
The treble squad was a magnificent squad that lacked 3 missing pieces ie a world class defender whose also a leader, a top quality cover for Giggs that allowed United to rest the Welsh wizard and avoid those nasty hamstrings of his and someone who could build a good relationship with Andy Cole. SAF was top notch in all his signings and we win the lot.

Mou's scenario is totally different. Our team is a hotpotch of 4 different ideologies that contrast so greatly from one another.

I have great confidence on the long term success of the team. Mou is a great manager and there's some terrific kids coming through. I mean Mitchell's performance on the left full back? Wow. I haven't been that excited since I've seen a young Zanetti working his magic at Inter. Short term? Its going to be tough, very tough

Status
Not open for further replies.