Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

If Griezmann is being told about our plan to sign world class players every season then it's easy to see why he sees us as a top side in a year or two.
I remember reports about Pogba joining us based on the same principal. If Antoine believes we're signing the likes of Silva to play alongside him then why shouldn't he believe we could become an elite side? He'll be sold on our plans to buy Neymar etc when they become available, not on our season past with Lingard and Fellaini as the spine of our side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Griezmann is one ;) Pogba was one too.
Its down to how he gets everything working next season.
Pogba and Griezmann is yet another issue altogether. Has France been able to fit them both into the same team? Mind you, I do believe that they can work together. I've been dreaming of a false 9 lone striker for months with Rashford/Griezmann swapping positions with Mkhitaryan/Mata, Martial and Bernardo Silva. However such system is very complex and requires time for it to gell together.

Baxter

I think he wants to stay at Atletico, especially if Simeone stays on.
I think if that was the case he wouldn't have even responded to the United rumours and let things play out instead. The quotes from today suggest he thinks 2nd or 3rd is the best he can do there. I think it hinges on the potential removal of the transfer ban.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well he did state that staying at Atleti was 7/10...

Which means nothing to be honest. It's what you expect a player to say. What you don't expect is him speaking so openly about moving to United. Hence the 20 pages in 20 odd hours.

Cantona_Forever

The treble squad was a magnificent squad that lacked 3 missing pieces ie a world class defender whose also a leader, a top quality cover for Giggs that allowed United to rest the Welsh wizard and avoid those nasty hamstrings of his and someone who could build a good relationship with Andy Cole. SAF was top notch in all his signings and we win the lot.
That's because we have the luxury of knowing about it now. At that time we couldn't even be sure to beat Arsenal for the league. The margin of errors in that season between winning them all and winning nothing was so slim a couple of goals could destroy our season completely.
Nobody said Mourinho will win PL next year and I'm sure Griezmann, if he comes, wouldn't think we will win CL easily either but in the long run (4-5 years) we will no doubt have much better chance to win more big things than Atletico that's almost for sure.

devilish

That's because we have the luxury of knowing about it now. At that time we couldn't even be sure to beat Arsenal for the league. The margin of errors in that season between winning them all and winning nothing was so slim a couple of goals could destroy our season completely.
Nobody said Mourinho will win PL next year and I'm sure Griezmann, if he comes, wouldn't think we will win CL easily either but in the long run (4-5 years) we will no doubt have much better chance to win more big things than Atletico that's almost for sure.
You might be right about Yorke. Sure Cole needed a partner he felt at ease to work with but finding that partner was difficult. He had issues with both Teddy and Cantona + Ole played too much upfront to be a good partner for Coley. However you can't say the same about Blomqvist and Stam. The defense was screaming for a leader at the back and we went on buying the best defender available. Also Giggs hamstrings had screwed us in the CL before so its only fair to invest into a top quality winger to cover for him.

The big difference between that side and this side is that while the treble side was already made up of top quality players who knew each other inside out you can't say the same about the current side. Its a hotpotch of four different ideologies (SAF-WhiteWalker-LVG-Mou) who vary alot from one another.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Be careful not to be too excited about him coming to united.

Yesterday we had info that Griezmann was still negotiating a new pay rise with Atletico and currently putted pressure on his club by exposing United like this.

He s launching a new book and his putting pressure on Madrid.

A journalist close to him said yesterday that he wants to stay one year and then waiting to see if Real will be after him as he wants to stay in Madrid.

I hope that he ll come too but I m not really sure. Looks to be a new Sergio Ramos episode here.

beingshe7don

Lol... He mentioned his chances were 6/10 to join us. Kind of a coincidence since we were 6th in the league. I don't think we can read too much into this just yet. Let's focus on winning the Europa and qualifying for Champions League first.

Lowkey

Lol... He mentioned his chances were 6/10 to join us. Kind of a coincidence since we were 6th in the league. I don't think we can read too much into this just yet. Let's focus on winning the Europa and qualifying for Champions League first.
na! you cracked the hidden code! Give this man the noble prize! WE got him boysss

JoaquinJoaquin

It seems that I stuck a nerve here. So lets get to business

b- We seriously lack quality. If we remove the hype surrounding players such as the English answer to Fabio Da Silva, Luke Shaw, Smallingbauer, Jones and co then we probably need 6 players (CB, LB, DM*2, RW, LW, Stk). No club can bring so many top quality talent in 1 transfer window

c- Players don’t freeze in time. Some grow old, others lose hope in the club’s ability to win stuff etc. Take last season as an example. We brought one of the best CMs in the world only to notice that Carrick is simply too old to back him up. Therefore we were forced to rely on Fellaini to partner Pogba. Its like installing a mini minor engine on the Starship Enterprise. That means we’ll have to spend more £££ in CM despite already spent over 110m in Herrera, Fellaini and Pogba. If we sign Griezmann then that would be a coup. On the other hand we will probably lose DDG who had been so influential for us throughout the years. That’s the sort of catch 22 this club is facing on a yearly basis. The year after we’ll probably have to replace Valencia

d- Systems need time to be built. You cant just put a horde of world class players together and simply expect them to do well from day 1.Even the greatest man manager in football history needed years before he could win the EPL title and he had Robson in midfield not Fellaini.

Don’t take me wrong there are positives in our team. Martial and Rashford will become WC players and if I had to describe our youths performance against Palace in one word then that would be WOW. However, while I admit that Mou is a magnificent manager, I don’t see him as the right person to take the most out of those kids. We need a SAF and there’s no one like him
I agree that we have a lack of quality in the squad. I have said many times if we have to watch the likes of Lingard, Fellaini and Darmian starting so many games we won't progress and I stick by that. HOWEVER I do think that if we bring world class players such as Griezmann, A top class striker like an Icardi, A CM and a new CB then we will be right back up there fighting next season. The players we have surrounding that are good. Pogba, Herrera, Mkhi (be better next season), Bailly, De Gea (hopefully) and Valencia form a good strong core. Then you add in the potential of Rashford and Martial, possibly Mitchell, Shaw and Pereira and you have good young talent to play a squad role. I think this would be more than capable of challenging for the league when you look at the opposition teams:

- Chelsea: Have had it easy this season with 1 game a week and virtually no injuries. That will change next season, and they don't have the deepest squad. Are the likes of Nathan Ake, Loftus-Cheek and Solanke really going to be good options off the bench? I'm not so sure. Add the fact Diego Costa may leave. If they bought Lukaku to replace him that would be a downgrade IMO.

- City: Probably the biggest competitor next season I feel once Pep spends lots of money, which he will. His job depends on it so they are going to strengthen alot therefore making them dangerous. However they are in a similar boat to us that if they mess up this window they could be in big trouble.

- Tottenham: Cannot see them spending alot of money in Summer. Probably making 1 or 2 tweaks but that would be it i'd say. The thing is with Tottenham is that they are a very good team but they just don't have it in them to go and win the league. And I cannot see that changing next season.

- Liverpool: Have the worst squad by far out of the Top 6. Their bench this past Sunday for example was a joke for a team heading into the Champions League. The likes of Alexander-Arnold, Grujic and Origi will need to play more next season when they have 3 games a week. Does that improve or weaken them? I'd go with the latter. Add in Coutinho may also leave.

So, when you look at it there is no reason we cannot be up challenging with the right signings.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Despite half the caf thinking our manager is shite, he is one of, if not the best at winning trophies.
There are only a few clubs that can buy him, and a lot of them are english. Of all the clubs that can buy him, we can offer the most money and prestige.

I think the Euro and Champions league final defeats convinced him to sell his soul to the devil :devil:
Forget about taking the high road and trying to win with an underdog, he wants to go to a superclub. Because Barca and Real our out of the question the next step is Bayern or United.

gr3yham3

All this flirting with the media just reminds me of the Pogba saga one year ago. Exactly the same thing happened - the constant "maybes" to the media, posting regularly on Twitter, interviews where he does not deny he is coming etc etc - same tactics with slightly different packaging. This is all done to drum up interest in the move and generate traffic before the move takes place. Thus, once #AG7 comes into fruition, the mentions will just go out of the roof again. All marketing if you ask me, and I think the deal is further along than we expect.

As to why people think that Pogba and Griezmann can't play together - I don't see why not? Throughout the season, Jose has played Pogba in a midfield 2 very frequently, expecting him to do his fair share of defensive work while still being a threat further up the pitch. Lingard's role in our team is just a place-holder as to where and how Griezmann will function in a 4231 with Pogba-Herrera as a midfield duo. This formation means that the attacking quartet has to do their fair share of closing down and defending, and our links to hard-working attackers like Griezmann and Silva only show that Jose wants that in his attackers. Hence his insistence that Martial up his defensive side this season as well. Besides, Pogba, while not great defensively, is not slouch there and offers his fair share of tackles, interceptions and headed clearances when needed. The way I see some people describe him is like he does not do any defensive duties at all, which is not true. Our defensive record in game this season is actually pretty solid, and defending is always a TEAM EFFORT rather than the efforts of an individual player anyway. Each player has to do their defensive work and fulfill responsibilities for a team to be defensively solid.

In addition, the 4231 will be used mainly against "weaker" sides, which truthfully, have been our problem this season with us failing to find the net often enough to put them to the sword, especially at Old Trafford. A front 6 of Rashford, Mkhi, Griezmann, Silva, Pogba and Herrera should score plenty of goals, with the likes of Mata, Martial, Lingard and Zlatan when he returns to be ready to be called in when needed. Superb options to have at Jose's disposal.

devilish

I agree that we have a lack of quality in the squad. I have said many times if we have to watch the likes of Lingard, Fellaini and Darmian starting so many games we won't progress and I stick by that. HOWEVER I do think that if we bring world class players such as Griezmann, A top class striker like an Icardi, A CM and a new CB then we will be right back up there fighting next season. The players we have surrounding that are good. Pogba, Herrera, Mkhi (be better next season), Bailly, De Gea (hopefully) and Valencia form a good strong core. Then you add in the potential of Rashford and Martial, possibly Mitchell, Shaw and Pereira and you have good young talent to play a squad role. I think this would be more than capable of challenging for the league when you look at the opposition teams:

- Chelsea: Have had it easy this season with 1 game a week and virtually no injuries. That will change next season, and they don't have the deepest squad. Are the likes of Nathan Ake, Loftus-Cheek and Solanke really going to be good options off the bench? I'm not so sure. Add the fact Diego Costa may leave, If they bought Lukaku to replace him that would be a downgrade IMO.

- City: Probably the biggest competitor next season I feel once Pep spends lots of money, which he will. His job depends on it so they are going to strengthen alot therefore making them dangerous. However they are in a similar boat to us that if they mess up this window they could be in big trouble.

- Tottenham: Cannot see them spending alot of money in Summer. Probably making 1 or 2 tweaks but that would be it i'd say. The thing is with Tottenham is that they are a very good team but they just don't have it in them to go and win the league. And I cannot see that changing next season.

- Liverpool: Have the worst squad by far out of the Top 6. Their bench this past Sunday for example was a joke for a team heading into the Champions League. The likes of Alexander-Arnold, Grujic and Origi will need to play more next season when they have 3 games a week. Does that improve or weaken them? I'd go with the latter. Add in Coutinho may also leave.

So, when you look at it there is no reason we cannot be up challenging with the right signings.
Top quality players help and I am sure that United will add to what we've already got. However a great system is what is needed to dominate the league. SAF's last team was weak but thanks to his guidance and a proven/stable system he was able to win the EPL comfortable. Conte did the same with Chelsea (last year the team turned against Mou but as a whole Chelsea is a good team with a proven system that works)

Don't take me wrong, I have full confidence that we'll get there eventually and Mou is the best man for the job. I have my doubts whether that can be achieved in such a short period of time though.

Z_Wolf

Does anyone think we could get him for less than his release clause? Just think £86m is an awful lot of money to spend on one player given the massive turn over the squad needs to compete again.

SATA

I really think Chelsea will come in and try to hijack this, especially when Diego Costa leaves. It's all too obvious this

devilish

Does anyone think we could get him for less than his release clause? Just think £86m is an awful lot of money to spend on one player given the massive turn over the squad needs to compete again.
true but maybe they will accept £86m + Fellaini. That would be fair enough

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm no muppet but even my juices are starting to flow with these developments. Rooney replaced by Griezmann. What an upgrade! :drool:

Makes the stakes even higher for tomorrow's match! :nervous:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This year, not a chance... not with a Finalist of Best Fifa Player Awards badge.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
From Cadena SER. Doesn't really say anything knew but let's keep the muppets happy.

Antoine Griezmann has returned to talk about his future in France. The Atletico Madrid player has taken advantage of the presentation of his autobiography to add more uncertainty to his future. Following the statements in the program Quotidien in which he stated in "a 6 out of 10" the possibility of going to Manchester United but also added that there is a "7 out of 10" that remains in Atletico Madrid, the player has made clear Today that "we have finished third, it was the goal of the club, but the players want more.I want to win titles.Has come to a point where nice game and score goals is not enough.I want to win titles, that's what I go To look for this summer when deciding my future "in statements collected by L'Equipe.
Griezmann added that "the club will look at what it should do, it will depend on the signings.I do not know if you will understand, but all the players, the media, my family know that I love football to win trophies. This time I want to taste it. See what it feels like. "
The striker has concluded by saying that "today, if I have to move, it will not be a problem for me" and that "it may be England, which is in fashion, Germany, China or the United States. I'm ready to go, "he acknowledged.
Your representative will meet Gil Marín
Antoine Griezmann will decide his future in the coming weeks. The player has a contract with Atletico Madrid until 2,019 and has a termination clause of 100 million euros. The rojiblanco club improved conditions last summer and is willing to make an effort to increase them this summer for the second consecutive year and ensure the continuity of its star. Atletico offers Griezmann a salary increase up to 10 million euros and wants to double his termination clause. The player sees with good eyes the raise of salary but not the clause of rescission that considers excessive. In El Larguero already recognized that "is much" in reference to the hundred million of its clause. The player wants a competitive team to fight for better goals. All of them will mark the decision on their future that is negotiated in these weeks.

Stacks

It comes in stages. If you look at Madrid for example - They sent around 800m euros and 'only' had a league to show for it. But all that spending meant they were assembling a hell of a squad which is now paying dividends in the last 2/3 years.
What period was this? almost every team regularly challenged for their domestic league. They have finished 1st or 2nd for almost the last 10 years straight. we haven't even been in the picture for 4 straight seasons. Its not even about winning it, just a mere challenge or be in contention. 7th,4th,5th,6th doesn't seem like a side that is on the rise to something special. I wonder what stage you think we are at?

MrSingh2002

I hope he's not just using United to bait other big clubs to offer him what he wants, or a pay rise from Atletico. We've had enough of that over recent years. If we do win tomorrow then I hope he signs quickly so he can have a full summer and pre season etc as our player.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Yeah, if you want titles - and I presume he means CL or PL - the 6th placed side in the PL seems a safe bet.
If we win tomorrow and he signs before the weekend, he can say he's joined the current "Europa League, Community Shield, FA Cup & League Cup holders"

Not too bad a club to join if you want to win stuff. Rashford has probably won more in 15 months as a United player than Griezmann has in his career.

And if Griezmann has confidence in his own ability, he'll be able to help towards the PL title.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:nervous: There are host of other clubs who are better equipped to win titles than us. Bit about Germany is worrying, I don't think I can stomach another disappointment if Bayern snap him up.
If we don't win the EL it is Bayern's player to lose... so long as they splash the cash, which they rarely do.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I'd love to see this.. but more likely to see this..

Last edited:

Wan

So why the hell he's coming to United? We're years away from winning EPL titles
Years away? We already won something and are in the final of the Europa League. We'll be challenging soon enough for the league.

We got Bailly, Pogba, Mkhi and Zlatan last season when we didn't have CL football. I bet there will be a couple more names that will join them this summer.

SSSSnake

Something has certainly changed in his attitude. I remember not too long ago he was walking away from interviews when being questioned about his future. The signs are all there now. I'm sure Woody is knee deep in negotiations. Bring him home woody!!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Those words are from a player that has decided to leave, knows where he is going and knows there's nothing his club can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.