Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

Done dealio as far as I'm concerned. No way would he say this shit if there was any chance of staying.

ypsipeos

While you're correct that it's easier to score in La Liga than the Premier League, in no way does that mean we shouldn't get Griezmann. Your argument would be a lot better if we had loads of quality in our team but we do not. He's easily better than any of our front 4 (not counting Zlatan), so it's an improvement even if he can't quite match the numbers he reached at Atletico. As another poster showed, there are plenty of examples of players succeeding in both La Liga and the Premier League as well. Griezmann has also performed to a high level for his country too. If he's available it would make little sense to not sign him.
Keep on reading. You 'll find out that this is my point. I never said don't buy him. Instead, I fully support the possible purchase. I 'm just saying don't be overenthused.

In fact, if we buy 4 top class players, I will be very happy if 2 of them come good.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I always said this: ATM is a club who sells.They pretty much did the same with Aguero, Falcao and Costa. It doesn't matter that much if we win the Europa League or not. The real problem is the transfer ban.
That'll probably be lifted and if they get Lacazette and Costa in they'll arguably be stronger for it (assuming Griezmann does leave)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"I've got to a point where playing nice football and scoring goals isn't required" - Jose Mourinho

Infra-red

I'm sure the club would love to have all of their top targets signed up before tomorrow night. They won't, of course. They'll all (quite rightly) be waiting to see what happens, along with the rest of us.

Cheekiey

I just realized....He has never actually won anything. Rashford in his 18 month career has more medals than him! No wonder he wants to leave.
He's won the Spanish super cup (charity shield type I think), France U19 euros and got the golden boot in the 2016 Euros. That's it!!

Like you say Rashford has won the FA Cup, League Cup, Charity Shield, U21 prem and a potential Europa League. I can see how Griezzy wants to leave/come

Z_Wolf

I'm going against the grain and saying that CL qualification won't actually make a
difference on this.

How many teams can realistically win the CL next year? Couple of Spanish ones,
maybe a German team or an Italian team.

I don't see any other team out there that are going to win it. Is he going to go to
one of those? I can't imagine it in any way.

So he wants to win league titles. Definitely not going to Barca or Real. No ties to
German or Italian teams.
A love for United though. Best friend players there. In all likelihood a summer
transfer window that is going to give him an actual chance at going for a league title
next year.

Unless a huge shock comes and he signs for City, Chelsea or Spurs, who else is he
going to sign for?

He stays where he is, almost no chance for the league title. So if he wants a league
title chance, he needs to move and United are still a great option to compete next
year. He will get paid a ton and help make his boyhood team great again? Why
wouldn't he come either way.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Griezmann £86m (buyout clause?).
Bale £90m-£100m (no way Real sell for less than £80m when that's the price they want for the likes of Di Maria).
Costa £40m (Bayern don't need to sell, we'd be lucky to get him for £40m truth be told).
Mendy £45m (there will be a lot of bidders).
Aurier £40m (PSG are loaded, but there are problems with Aurier's private life).
Varane £60m (could be more, given his age and the club. De Gea would have to be part of the deal to get both him and Bale in the same window, but I don't see it).
Oblak £50m (we won't get him for 40m if we also buy Griezmann. Atletico have Werner and Moya, but can't see them wanting to lose two of their most important players in the same window).

About £450m I think. You have to go wit the higher end of these estimates because it's us. We have a reputation of paying over the odds for players and that will follow us around until we win the league again and aren't seen as desperate.
Bale value will be offset by De Gea, and mass sales of players. But yeah it would be a big transfer window.. to be honest, if you're getting Antoine Griezmann in the first few weeks.. you've set the bar high and are well set to breaking records in terms of biggest transfer spend of all time and lord knows, United definitely need that level of summer if they're going to be back in the big time competing for titles.

You're quite optimistic, aren't you? :lol: Alba, Marquinhos, Aurier, Dier, Silva, and Griezmann all in this window? I think getting 2-3 of them seems to be a bit of a stretch.

But I wouldn't complain if it actually happened.
Mourinho has previous for signing 6+ players in transfer windows and revamping sides in the space of one window, especially second season window. He does so regularly. Last year where he brought in just 4 players was actually an outlier.. he usually spends much more and brings in large numbers and sells large numbers.

If we can get a guy who was third in the Ballon D'or and one of the leading players in the modern game, probably equal to Neymar in terms of status in the current game and not to mention Pogba the year before, we should really think the likes of Marquinhos/Aurier/Dier/Silva are beyond us, we can pretty much signing anyone bar Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Suarez or Bayern stars.

Having said that, of course it would be difficult to bring in all those level of players and agree terms in a window, but Mourinho has no doubt been planning a serious revamp and would have spoken to the targets and agreed in principle deals months in advance, it is how he usually operates. I expect our transfer dealing to be swift and with minimal fuss, and for the muppet juices to be flowing like never before this summer.

If we lose to Ajax, we're pretty much fecked though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I always said this: ATM is a club who sells.They pretty much did the same with Aguero, Falcao and Costa. It doesn't matter that much if we win the Europa League or not. The real problem is the transfer ban.
Don't forget Torres as well.

Inter Yer Nan

Their scouting and recruitment is such I'm sure they will have good replacements. Sandro is linked today and the Lacazette deal seems almost done. I'm sure they will strengthen other areas with some of the Griezmann fee.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's easier to score in Spanish League.
I would like to add this here because everyone thinks that buying a proven La Liga scorer will also buy you a definite EPL scorer.

So, some examples of strikers that were good or better in Spain, but crap or worse in EPL and other champions.

Kanoute
- He was African Footballer of the year (2007, Sevilla), but mediocre for the two London teams he played for, West Ham and Tottenham. He scored 1 goal per 2 games for Sevilla, but achieved only a 1:3 and 1:4 ratio for West Ham and Tottenham respectively.

Ricardo Oliveira - He always scored in a 1:2 ratio for every Spanish team he played for. Milan? It was 3 goals in 26 games. Almost 1:3.

Roberto Soldado - For Getafe and Valencia combined he scored more than one goal per 2 games, for Tottenham he was a crappaticious crap.

Adnriy Shevchenko - ... no words... OK, he didn't play in Spain, but the amount of crappiness we witnessed, proved how difficult the EPL is.
Bullocks, Michu, Aguero for that matter. Even Mata.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Is it wrong to wish this was done before the final so it takes the pressure off? To know we can sign the targets we wanted would take the pressure off for me as a watching supporter.
Maybe it is and the players know?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Release clause doesn't care about transfer ban.
As far as i know, transfer ban only counts for buying, not selling - if there wasn't a release clause involved.

crossy1686

career ending
Got a feeling that the EL final is going to be a sliding doors moment. If we win it, we could have a very fruitful summer, if not, we could miss out on some major talent. Wednesday's game is big for many reasons other than winning a trophy.

JustinC00

Gotta love the people who say "If he's looking for trophies, United isn't the place for him" Ya I mean because we haven't won 2 possibly 3 trophies (3 possibly 4 if you want to count the CS) in the last 2 seasons or anything... Atletico hasn't won any thing in 3 years. So just going on trophies alone we'd be a step up for him compared to Atletico or even a team like City

Last edited:

Inter Yer Nan

Gotta love the people who say "If he's looking for trophies, United isn't the place for him" Ya I mean because we haven't won 2 possibly 3 trophies (3 possibly 4 if you want to count he CS) in the last 2 seasons or anything... Atletico hasn't won any thing in 3 years. So just going on trophies alone we'd be a step up for him compared to Atletico or even a team like City
Yeah, that's always a laugh especially when it's mostly fans of Liverpool, Spurs etc;

AndyJ1985

Gotta love the people who say "If he's looking for trophies, United isn't the place for him" Ya I mean because we haven't won 2 possibly 3 trophies (3 possibly 4 if you want to count he CS) in the last 2 seasons or anything... Atletico hasn't won any thing in 3 years. So just going on trophies alone we'd be a step up for him compared to Atletico or even a team like City
Yeah even during our worst period in decades we're still picking up more trophies than Liverpool and Spurs, who ironically have the most cocky fans that like to mock us.

Sparky Rhiwabon

How good is Griezeman?

I must admit I don't watch Spanish football but the fact that Aspas scored like 24 goals or something leads me to suspect that the quality is not that good beyond the top few teams (players like Soldado scored well in the past, etc).

How good is he compared to, say, Alexis Sanchez or Kane?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How good is Griezeman?

I must admit I don't watch Spanish football but the fact that Aspas scored like 24 goals or something leads me to suspect that the quality is not that good beyond the top few teams (players like Soldado scored well in the past, etc).

How good is he compared to, say, Alexis Sanchez or Kane?
You need to ask?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This one's just the starter.

I have a feeling the main course could be pretty tasty :drool:
You honestly think we'll be going for an even more high profile player than an 86m man!?

So you basically think we're getting one of Messi, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo or Lewandowski then

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I wouldn't be asking otherwise!
He was France's leading scorer at the Euros, scores in the UCL and in La Liga. Kane has yet to make his mark on the international or European stage

Kane is sensational in the EPL without having any great dribbling skills or genuine pace. Griezmann has both and is a good header of the ball. Kane is proven at EPL level. We don't know how good AG would be yet.

Sanchez is unbelievable at EPL and international level for Chile. He can produce something from nothing even when he or the team are not playing well. Sensational dribbling and shooting ability.

IMO, Kane could lead the line for us better and finish those moves we are struggling to right now. AG, not convinced he would be as good in the EPL.
Sanchez, I'd have in a heartbeat but the image of him joking when Arsenal were getting stuffed makes me think of him as a bit of a cnut.

I'd still have Kane over the both of them

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Griezmann for under £100m, Bale less than £80m (and if part of De Gea deal, probably worth £10-15m due to his injury situation), Costa £20-40m, Mendy £45m, Aurier £30m, Varane £60m, Oblak £40m

about £300m.

If you sold Mata, Fellaini, Smalling, Jones.. other riffraff, you'd probably get £50m back minimum.
Bale?!
How on earth hasn't anyone called you out for insane optimism!

Sparky Rhiwabon

He was France's leading scorer at the Euros, scores in the UCL and in La Liga. Kane has yet to make his mark on the international or European stage

Kane is sensational in the EPL without having any great dribbling skills or genuine pace. Griezmann has both and is a good header of the ball. Kane is proven at EPL level. We don't know how good AG would be yet.

Sanchez is unbelievable at EPL and international level for Chile. He can produce something from nothing even when he or the team are not playing well. Sensational dribbling and shooting ability.

IMO, Kane could lead the line for us better and finish those moves we are struggling to right now. AG, not convinced he would be as good in the EPL.
Sanchez, I'd have in a heartbeat but the image of him joking when Arsenal were getting stuffed makes me think of him as a bit of a cnut.

I'd still have Kane over the both of them
Thanks. I think the difference between Sanchez and Kane is that Kane finishes off chances that others create for him (and does it very well) whereas Sanchez creates his own chances very often and drives his team forward. We could probably do with one of each type. It sounds like Griezeman is more the Sanchez type.

Boycott

Griezmann for under £100m, Bale less than £80m (and if part of De Gea deal, probably worth £10-15m due to his injury situation), Costa £20-40m, Mendy £45m, Aurier £30m, Varane £60m, Oblak £40m

about £300m.

If you sold Mata, Fellaini, Smalling, Jones.. other riffraff, you'd probably get £50m back minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.