g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Antoine Griezmann | Signs new contract until 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Use whatever word you word but there's conflicting testimonies/anecdotes either way. You can name players that suggest England is more physical, I can point to players looking like weak little boys in Spain (Cesc...).

There's absolutely no way you can convince me it's any more difficult for a slow/weak player to adapt in England than elsewhere, you are right about that part.
He's not even a slow or a weak player. He plays up front for the most physical and intense team in European football.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He's not even a slow or a weak player. He plays up front for the most physical and intense team in European football.
Indeed. If you can handle the intensity at Atlético you can handle it anywhere.

cyberman

But he's not playing against the most physical and intense team though.
Griezmann is their creative outlet. He needs a physical player in front of him to carry the load and he has a sort of roaming role in behind. He's hardly this intense workhorse.

Adisa

But he's not playing against the most physical and intense team though.
Griezmann is their creative outlet. He needs a physical player in front of him to carry the load and he has a sort of roaming role in behind. He's hardly this intense workhorse.
Do you watch Atletico? He works just as hard as any player in that team.

cyberman

Do you watch Atletico? He works just as hard as any player in that team.
He does his share but there is little burden on the front two to work as hard as the rest of the side simply because it's not possible from their position.
Theres a reason they went big on Martinez and brought Torres back. Griezmann needs a physical presence in front of him. Do you think Simeone wants to play Torres in an ideal world?
Look at the Bayern goal for example. All men behind the ball, a quick break and it's Torres playing a ball in behind to Griezmann. He is the creative outlet for Atletico. You cannot have him helping out the fullbacks or being too far behind the ball.
He works hard and does what is asked but he is far down the Atletico scale of intense workers.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He does his share but there is little burden on the front two to work as hard as the rest of the side simply because it's not possible from their position.
Theres a reason they went big on Martinez and brought Torres back. Griezmann needs a physical presence in front of him. Do you think Simeone wants to play Torres in an ideal world?
Look at the Bayern goal for example. All men behind the ball, a quick break and it's Torres playing a ball in behind to Griezmann. He is the creative outlet for Atletico. You cannot have him helping out the fullbacks or being too far behind the ball.
He works hard and does what is asked but he is far down the Atletico scale of intense workers.
That's not true. Simeone's team press from the front and while Griezmann took his time to get used to that he's now excellent at pressing the defence. Tracking back isn't the only way to contribute defensively - it was crucial that Griezmann hassled defenders like Diego Costa did for them.

Adisa

Why is this thread in the Transfer Forum?
We've been linked with him in the past.
My point remains, you can't be slow and weak in that side. Even if he does not do as much as some of his teammates, he gets through so much work for someone expected to create things for his teams. Just watch Atletico in big games.
As for him being slow. That part is ridiculous.

Enigma_87

You know who

That's not true. He works pretty hard and you can see him all over the pitch especially in big games. Torres you are right about he's probably the least hard working player in the team but Griezmann is different from him.

m1y2

I got carried away by the hype here, he's a great player but nowehere near 60-80m pounds price tag.. yeah he played out of position but for me exceptional players can be the difference from more than a single position, Griezzman almost looked average against bellow par Romania... he's no exceptional player for me worth the money they are asking for him

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I got carried away by the hype here, he's a great player but nowehere near 60-80m pounds price tag.. yeah he played out of position but for me exceptional players can be the difference from more than a single position, Griezzman almost looked average against bellow par Romania... he's no exceptional player for me worth the money they are asking for him
True. The time to sign Griezmann was two summers ago when he was still in the emerging category.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Some of the comments are shocking. Did they all forget Griezmann scoring the only goal in all those tight games where they won 1-0, scoring decisive goals against Barca (header and penalty), going 1v1 against Neuer and scoring the vital away goal. Also scoring the winner goal away against Real in the league?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Some of the comments are shocking. Did they all forget Griezmann scoring the only goal in all those tight games where they won 1-0, scoring decisive goals against Barca (header and penalty), going 1v1 against Neuer and scoring the vital away goal. Also scoring the winner goal away against Real in the league?
They didn't forget, they just didn't watch those games (or even highlights).

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
But he's just signed a new 5 year contract so isn't that thread closed now? Move to general football?
He hasn't signed a new contract. His agent cooled that talk also, saying that he might but they are also talking to other clubs that are "interesting".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But he's just signed a new 5 year contract so isn't that thread closed now? Move to general football?
Most of the talk will always be about a transfer so its best done in here for the summer, at which point we can close this and start a new one in the Footy.

Martial'sgaze

I think people are getting the whole thing wrong.It is down to preference and system.Griezmann is not a good wide forward and most posters will allude to it.Some people will prefer a 3 man midfield or a No 10 who is very creative and has the ability to open a defense through dribbling or a great pass something which is not Griezmann's forte.
So the question now arise,what system does Griezmann best fit in?
For me he has great movement and is a composed finisher who like to arrive in the box and get on the end of things like prime Rooney or Muller, so he needs wide playmakers whose sole responsibility is creativity and not finishing and where the responsibility of creating does not lie with him.Therefore a system that uses wide strikers or forward which depends on the centre to create will not use the services of Griezman e.g Madrid or Barcelona.
Personally as an aside I think Dybala is a more talented second striker and for the money that Griezmann will go for with his new contract I had rather take Dybala and if the system requires a pure no 10 I will prefer an Ozil or a Silva to Griezmann.
People must accept that he has limitations in his game and a team with a front three of good finishers, Griezmann is really not required.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
After watching him struggle in CL final and in yesterdays game im convinced he is the real deal. Its great when you are in top form and everything you do turns to gold so i always like to see how player acts when everything isnt going his way. In both games his response was spot on IMO, he worked his ass off, specially yesterday. Didnt force things, didnt bitch around and blamed everyone else, toke responsibility when needed even though he already missed the penalty earlier in the game.
Would be a fantastic singing, front 3 of him, Martial and Ibra looks great on paper.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
You play FM also? Or do you think he would improve us at a cost of £50 mill +?, It amazes me the amount of unemployed scouts we have on this thing....
It's fair to say football is not for you if you believe Griezmann is average and not better than what Man United have, simple....

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
He's best as a second striker, limited elsewhere. He'd be a fool to leave Atletico, he'd be exposed in another team where he's forced to play a wider role. Doesn't have the dribbling or creative ability to consistently hurt teams which is why he was such a non-factor in the CL final where Real parked the bus.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He's best as a second striker, limited elsewhere. He'd be a fool to leave Atletico, he'd be exposed in another team where he's forced to play a wider role. Doesn't have the dribbling or creative ability to consistently hurt teams which is why he was such a non-factor in the CL final where Real parked the bus.
i would second this. from what i have seen of griezman is that his forte is his movement off the ball and not his skill on the ball. i dont think hes much of a dribbler. i think we need a martial on the other wing (someone who can beat a player or two and make things happen)

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What a lot of rubbish on another night he'd have scored a couple. Great little player and super talented. Would be a step up to Mata and even Martial.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
What a lot of rubbish on another night he'd have scored a couple. Great little player and super talented. Would be a step up to Mata and even Martial.
Martial is a much better player or at least will be in the near future. It's silly to compare the two.

He's superior to Mata but that's not saying much, he's been average since he had that purple patch of a season. Griezmann's a very good forward but for £70m pricetag being quoted a player like Mahrez would be the far better option. I prefer players who have the ability to hurt you in various ways, those multi-dimensional players are the ones Bayern, Madrid & Barca are always after.

Martial'sgaze

This...
Martial is a much better player or at least will be in the near future. It's silly to compare the two.

He's superior to Mata but that's not saying much, he's been average since he had that purple patch of a season. Griezmann's a very good forward but for £70m pricetag being quoted a player like Mahrez would be the far better option. I prefer players who have the ability to hurt you in various ways, those multi-dimensional players are the ones Bayern, Madrid & Barca are always after.
And this.
Not this.
The question is if you had a choice between Douglas Costa,Marhez or Coman and Griezmann for our right wing spot ,which of these two options is more reasonable?
He is a very good second striker but if the system prefers a creative no 10 playmaker then he is really not needed regardless of his qualities because if the front three are good finishers then a creative player becomes more relevant .

Greatest No 10

i would second this. from what i have seen of griezman is that his forte is his movement off the ball and not his skill on the ball. i dont think hes much of a dribbler. i think we need a martial on the other wing (someone who can beat a player or two and make things happen)
Agree with everything ye say!!

Litch

That's a lottery no matter what, I'm not even sure that the internal market has a higher success rate.
But at least the risks are lesser based on the fact we've actually seen how they've faired.....French are gonna be the new Spanish this year!

paulscholes18

Maybe France should play 4-2-3-1 with Griezmann in the no10, looked a bit lost in the RW role Friday

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Why would he forced to play a wider role in other teams? Agree he's pretty average out wide compared to in the middle, but if someone spends big money on Griezmann it's surely for a central role?

Martial'sgaze

The thing is all their other players including Martial are best in a 433.
Yeah, and even if they played 4231, Payet offers more in terms of creativity through the middle especially for this french team that are without a metronome in central midfield (and this is not saying Payet is the better player overall)

HabeasC

There was always at least one of those feckers on every team I played on as a kid, with the Predator boots and their heads oozing with Brylcreem
Those predator boots were ace though. Nowadays boots look shit in comparison in all shades of luminescent green and yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.