Antoine "Lebron" Griezmann | "I Stay"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

New full-backs should help massively, for sure. Still, I think an attack where none of the forwards can really offer penetration through dribbling might not be the best idea. Every top attack should have someone like that imo. Barca have Messi and Dembele, City have Sterling and Sane, Real have Ronaldo (less so these days), Isco and Bale, Juve have Costa and Dybala, Bayern have Robben and Ribery, PSG have Neymar and Mbappe, Chelsea have Hazard, etc. All players that are/were capable of beating one or two men on their own and stretching the play when needed. I figured that it would be Sanchez for us, but he barely tries to beat his man lately and seems to have slowed down. I'll wait until next season to decide whether it's a decline or just fatigue though.

Different level of player obviously, but I remember a game (might have been West Ham away) where we paired Sanchez with Mata as the wide attackers and they spent most of their time passing it about in the middle because they couldn't get past their marker. On the counter, they'd probably be great, but we'll be on the front foot in a lot of games against a low block, which is where we might see problems every now and then.

Let me make it clear that I'm not saying Griezmann would be a disaster here. It could work out, but, unless we go back to a 4231, I don't feel he's the ideal option for us as some are saying.

As good a goalscorer Griezmann is, you are exactly right and I dont get why more people here cannot see this.
We need a winger who can beat his man off the dribble like Costa/Pulisic etc and Griezmann isnt that. He isnt even a RW

BlueHaze

I saw this reddit thread the day it was posted and I think its bs tbh. He was right about the Kohler sleeve deal though and I hadn't read or heard about that anywhere so take whatever you want from that. However I am one of those who think Griezmann should be a priority target so I would be more than happy if this actually happens.

gajender

There was some journos saying we were after Lukaku though, especially very early on, the majority were saying Chelsea, but there were some at least who said we were very interested.
I believe Jamie Jackson from Guardian claimed Mourinho was obsessed with Lukaku and he was his top priority even ahead of Griezmann but here English journalists seem to have very low credibility even this transfer window Lukhhurst broke Fred to United story first but De Marzio seem to getting all the credit.

edcunited1878

Don't need him unless United offload Sanchez and/or Mata to make room. United have much more pressing needs in central midfield, leftback and either wide area. Griezmann could fill in on the right or left side, but he's most effective playing in the hole/second striker/false 9. This would be another luxury signing a la Sanchez. I am all for signing players, regardless of age, because they bring the much needed professional, winning and sacrificial mindset which has been lacking for years but improved under Jose.

No thanks, one year too late. But if it happens, then United's goal output MUST increase and MUST challenge for the league.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
As good a goalscorer Griezmann is, you are exactly right and I dont get why more people here cannot see this.
We need a winger who can beat his man off the dribble like Costa/Pulisic etc and Griezmann isnt that. He isnt even a RW
Not how Mourinho builds his teams anymore. He has played Eto'o, Higuan and Di Maria on the wing to great effect. He also bought Sanchez who is not a winger either.

Kostov

Can somebody who is following Griezman more closely explain why the Barca link has gone cold?

I know there were illegal talks and Barca apologized for it, but there were reports of him staying just some days ago, even though Griezmann was booed by his own fans.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Not how Mourinho builds his teams anymore. He has played Eto'o, Higuan and Di Maria on the wing to great effect. He also bought Sanchez who is not a winger either.
Don’t forget Ozil as well who wasn’t/isn’t a true winger.

Marcus

I believe this will happen. Barca players falling over themselves to tap him up makes me believe that they are trying to change his current decision to join United.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Can somebody who is following Griezman more closely explain why the Barca link has gone cold?

I know there were illegal talks and Barca apologized for it, but there were reports of him staying just some days ago, even though Griezmann was booed by his own fans.
More so Griezmann understanding it’d be backstabbing Atletico. Torres mentioned it to him during the last game too on the pitch and Griezmann sort of broke down.

...he stayed at Madrid last summer/didn’t come to United out of loyalty supposedly due to them having a transfer ban and he didn’t want to leave them short handed. What logic would there be in having waited a year and now leaving but this time choosing to go to a direct rival? That does far more harm to Madrid than leaving to United last summer would have done and I feel he gets that bit and how devastating it would be for the club.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Well, I see that this Kohler deal has been announced now. Must not get invested in this story after the huge disappointment last year.

Also a Griezmann transfer does not seem very likely since there have not been any links to Man Utd at all. However, no one reported Liverpool´s Fabinho deal either...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Also agree. This rumour from random user aside, I think it is a waste to buy Griezmann and play him as a RW. And can't see Griezmann agree to come here and regularly play in that position.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Felt sure it would happen last year, just not feeling it this summer. And the way Jose completely upset the balance of the team by signing Sanchez, I'm not even sure he'd know how to get the best out of him anyway. Meh.

Paranoid Android

--------------------------DDG----------------------------------

Dalot--------Bailly------Alderweireld-------Sandro

---------------------Fred-------Pogba-----------------------

Bale---------------Griezmann-------------Sanchez

-------------------------Lukaku------------------------------

Hnnnnnhghgh :devil:

$inner_88

6 new players in the first eleven and Pogba in a two man midfield?

That’s a second season manager mode selection.

space

The meltdown when he signs for Barca. Don't do it to yourself lads.

ravi2

Poor Fred :(

SuperiorXI

Looks like someone got the low down on the sleeve sponsorship and have just been opportunist and slapped on Griezmann for a laugh... one of the oldest tricks in the book and will see many a egg on many a faces.

Why the feck would a sleeve sponsorship nerd know anything about a high-level top secret potential world record transfer is beyond me.

James Peril

Felt sure it would happen last year, just not feeling it this summer. And the way Jose completely upset the balance of the team by signing Sanchez, I'm not even sure he'd know how to get the best out of him anyway. Meh.
What balance are you talking about? Serious question.

James Peril

More so Griezmann understanding it’d be backstabbing Atletico. Torres mentioned it to him during the last game too on the pitch and Griezmann sort of broke down.

...he stayed at Madrid last summer/didn’t come to United out of loyalty supposedly due to them having a transfer ban and he didn’t want to leave them short handed. What logic would there be in having waited a year and now leaving but this time choosing to go to a direct rival? That does far more harm to Madrid than leaving to United last summer would have done and I feel he gets that bit and how devastating it would be for the club.
Ok cool, are you personal friends with Torres or just able to read lips?

podurban2

That makes sense.

Bring him here now!:drool:

Utdstar01

That is what I'm wondering as well.

Gets their name out there and sticking in people's minds, and it'll stay there even if this rumour turns out to be rubbish. It's not like it'll come back to hurt them. After all, it's just some random reddit user, nothing to do with Kohler themselves. *wink wink*

Alternatively, it could easily be somebody who knew about the Kohler sponsorship (which would have a larger group of people in the know) and wanted to pretend to have a scoop. This is probable the most likely scenario.

Or who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be legit after all.
It doesn't really make any sense to be marketing. They've already landed the sponsorship which is going to be seen by millions of people around the world who watch United in the coming 3 seasons.

Why would they go out of their way to lie about a rumour and piss off countless United fans who then think 'THE cnuts LIED ABOUT GRIEZMANN, feck KOHLER!'.

BaneIsPain

I can see it if Martial go to Atleti with cash for Griezmann.would be win-win for everyone

Cliche Guevara

What’s going on, where has Kohler been announced?

I think it will happen, the whole point of the Griezmann rumour is on account of the guy knowing about it in my view. Is everyone losing their minds, however, and the power of critical thinking?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
What balance are you talking about? Serious question.
Mainly the balance in terms of personnel - we had 2 very decent players in that position and very little on the right. The fact Jose tried Martial on the right at Newcastle, one of our worst performances, was a sign of things to come. And it's rarely clicked since.

sam147

The way we play means our wingers come narrow. So why would we need someone who is always trying to beat there man. You can see how Jose players. He wants to overload the center of the pitch and use quick play to interchange and break opposition down. Right now we have Rashford and Martial who cant do any of that. We have Sanchez who is fatigued. That leaves Pogba who has static players ahead of him. Fred is a player who uses quick one twos and then finds the killer pass. Grizi can drift from RW to the ST roll when Lukaku drifts out wide and he can also link up and operate in tight spaces. We are not ones to turn our noses up at anyone especially with our current squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.