Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Didn't watch the game but the difference in opinions here is unreal :lol: No idea whether he did well or not.
There are two camps in the Valencia thread.

Those who compare him to other right backs in which he should compare positively.

Those who refuse to accept that he can play anywhere else but right wing and have apparently become experts on full back positioning and decision making. This expertise and in depth analysis is not seen in any other defender's thread however.

No true right back has ever been beaten by Aguero's skill.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Did very well to force that foul by blocking their man and going down right at the death. There's only one winner when Valencia has the ball and he's got his back to his opposite number. He's immovable in those situations.

Man Utd 1:0 Aston Villa

Walters_19_MuFc

This is why I love when Valencia plays at full back, espeically if we have someone like Mata out wide, who is going to drift inside. He constantly gives you an outlet ball. Looked dangerous throughout the first half, and created a very good assist for the goal.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not his biggest fan but hopefully this mean we won't see Darmian anymore this season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So much better than Darmain by God we have missed him and Shaw

Devil may care

Got caught out a couple of times defensively but added more to the attack than we've gotten from Darmian.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Villa created 3 chances. 2 were from our right, 1 was from a corner following a shot from our right. He was not in the fecking frame for that 1st half chance.

I'm not a football coach so I can't say what exactly he's doing wrong (in this instance, in others it's obvious even to me) but it's a consistent pattern of opposition teams making openings from his side whenever he plays.

Of course attacking-wise he's better, though Darmian does usually have 1 good cross/game too.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
So much better than Darmian. Hopefully that's the end of Darmian at the club.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Lovely stuff from Valencia, Mata and Rooney. Probably the best moment besides the goal, which again was a brilliant set up from Valencia and Rooney

Thought he was good today but what exactly he did there? :lol:

More dangerous player would at least get a good shot out of it.

Norris

So much better than Darmian. Hopefully that's the end of Darmian at the club.
:|
Apart from the assist, what exactly did he do ? He was presented a golden opportunity by Mata with the lob and what does he do ? Lays a backward pass. You can't judge him from a game like this where Villa were non-existent. I like him, but I still rate Darmian higher defensively. Attacking wise, both are pretty woeful tbh.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Energy, commitment, physical and he plays for the shirt. Good lad!
That you'll always get from Tony V and that's one of the reason I'm fine with him sticking around as a squad player. The problem with him often is, people remember his outstanding season and with that in the back of their minds judge him. Those days are over now, but he's still useful as an experienced, hard-working squad player.

Lawman

Apart from the assist, what exactly did he do ? He was presented a golden opportunity by Mata with the lob and what does he do ? Lays a backward pass. You can't judge him from a game like this where Villa were non-existent. I like him, but I still rate Darmian higher defensively. Attacking wise, both are pretty woeful tbh.
It's not really what he did its more what he didn't do! Unlike Darmain or Rojo he keeps possession well and players don't run riot against him. Darmain first 4/5 games aside has had a woeful debut season. Rojo and Memphis are both the same.

Norris

It's not really what he did its more what he didn't do! Unlike Darmain or Rojo he keeps possession well and players don't run riot against him. Darmain first 4/5 games aside has had a woeful debut season. Rojo and Memphis are both the same.
You are talking like LvG :rolleyes:
What point is there in keeping the ball if you can't do much with it ? Rojo atleast tries to make himself a nuisance when attacking and always gets to the byline as much as he can even if his final ball is lacking. Darmian is probably one of the best at the club in 1 on 1 situations. He usually has to go up against fleet footed wingers and he does really well. He's also tactically very astute. He's also put himself in danger more than a couple of times in defending situations. Yeah, he's not great going forward, but that was never a forte of his game. Those that watched him for Italy and seen him at Torino know that. So, I am sure the scouts and the coaches at United know that as well. So why make unrealistic expectations of a player who is not used to that aspect of the game as much as others. He wasn't actually all that bad going forward for Torino either from what I read, but clearly it's not good enough for us at the moment.
Varela has got to be first choice next season, and then Darmian. If someone like Mourinho comes in, I expect TFM to probably take that slot. Either him or Darmian.

Sigma

That you'll always get from Tony V and that's one of the reason I'm fine with him sticking around as a squad player. The problem with him often is, people remember his outstanding season and with that in the back of their minds judge him. Those days are over now, but he's still useful as an experienced, hard-working squad player.
The truth is actually the opposite. Last season and this season he has been pretty good at right back, much better than the majority of the caf says he has been. The reason for this is they can't forget his performances in the couple of years before.

Eugenius

He still can't defend, I don't get why people think he's a top full back when he clearly has no positional sense or anticipation. He offers pace and width and puts people on the back foot, so in other words he does Mata's job for him. I think Valencia's effectiveness says more about our RW than RB position.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
wait what? are people arguing if he had a good game?
Do you guys not remeber that mini spell of Villa's consecutive chances started with Tony getting skinned in the first place. A simple turn was enough to beat him. Half decent winger, poor defender these days.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is the kind of nonsense that needs to stop. Valencia has lots of faults (And he's a bit shite himself tbf) but he's still miles better than Darmian which says a lot about how utterly shite Darmian is. How in the world of feck was that a golden opportunity? The ball is over his head and he has 2 defenders converging ahead of him. Good touch and layoff to Rooney in my book. And aside from his assist (why would you ignore that?) his movement going forward was excellent.

Darmian is horrific defensively and going forward. He'd behind Varela, Valencia, Young and every other half decent youngster in the youth squad in the pecking order. Shambles of a player. And less said the better about calamity Rojo.

Sylar

Hes a good asset to help us going forward (as seen with his assist). The problem is how he manages to make the play come to standstill due to his inability to use a left foot, thus having to either go backwards or try and do a 360 spin to get it back to his right foot (you can kinda seen an element in the video posted above, where his first touch takes it away from goal, a left foot allows a cross, but as he has to use his right foot, its a pass back).

At fault for us almost conceding as well. A good team (or even a decent team) punishes us on the back of that.

Saying that, im happy hes back and is a decent squad player to have.

Lawman

You are talking like LvG :rolleyes:
What point is there in keeping the ball if you can't do much with it ? Rojo atleast tries to make himself a nuisance when attacking and always gets to the byline as much as he can even if his final ball is lacking. Darmian is probably one of the best at the club in 1 on 1 situations. He usually has to go up against fleet footed wingers and he does really well. He's also tactically very astute. He's also put himself in danger more than a couple of times in defending situations. Yeah, he's not great going forward, but that was never a forte of his game. Those that watched him for Italy and seen him at Torino know that. So, I am sure the scouts and the coaches at United know that as well. So why make unrealistic expectations of a player who is not used to that aspect of the game as much as others. He wasn't actually all that bad going forward for Torino either from what I read, but clearly it's not good enough for us at the moment.
Varela has got to be first choice next season, and then Darmian. If someone like Mourinho comes in, I expect TFM to probably take that slot. Either him or Darmian.
You are talking complete nonsense! You say I am talking like LVG! What does that mean? Rojo is one of the worst players I have ever seen at United. He looks like a centre back playing left back and when playing centre back looks like a left back. He is 50/50 whether he keeps the ball or not and a time bomb when defending. Darmain looks like an under 16 playing in an adult game. At least with Valencia who is not the greatest he doesn't get dominated (by fleet foot wingers) wtf he has to play against the same players as Darmain does. He works the ball well going forward yes he can't cross but neither can Darmain. So I have no idea about the rubbish you are spouting. You are clearly watching different players from me.

Lawman

This is the kind of nonsense that needs to stop. Valencia has lots of faults (And he's a bit shite himself tbf) but he's still miles better than Darmian which says a lot about how utterly shite Darmian is. How in the world of feck was that a golden opportunity? The ball is over his head and he has 2 defenders converging ahead of him. Good touch and layoff to Rooney in my book. And aside from his assist (why would you ignore that?) his movement going forward was excellent.

Darmian is horrific defensively and going forward. He'd behind Varela, Valencia, Young and every other half decent youngster in the youth squad in the pecking order. Shambles of a player. And less said the better about calamity Rojo.
Spot on!

Norris

Darmian horrific defensively ? I am sorry, but that is just plain wrong. On two ocassions, he saved us with crucial clearances in the season, moments where he ended up being injured because of that. He's the best I have seen this season at 1 v 1s. And he's tactically very sound. He's not great going forward, but like I mentioned before that was never his strong suit. No point complaining about him being rubbish in attacking when he's never been great at it throughout his career.

And Valencia is a squad player at best. He is woefully inept in defense (Though he has improved a lot since he first started out at RB). In attacking, all he cares about is not losing possession. He will protect that at all cost, fair play to him for that though. But defensively, it is a no contest between him and Darmian. In the same way, it's a no contest between those two in an attacking sense. It just depends on what you are looking for in that RB position on a game to game basis.

You are talking complete nonsense! You say I am talking like LVG! What does that mean? Rojo is one of the worst players I have ever seen at United. He looks like a centre back playing left back and when playing centre back looks like a left back. He is 50/50 whether he keeps the ball or not and a time bomb when defending. Darmain looks like an under 16 playing in an adult game. At least with Valencia who is not the greatest he doesn't get dominated (by fleet foot wingers) wtf he has to play against the same players as Darmain does. He works the ball well going forward yes he can't cross but neither can Darmain. So I have no idea about the rubbish you are spouting. You are clearly watching different players from me.
Rojo had a pretty decent season last year, which you might have forgotten. Yeah, I am not going to claim he's great or anything, since all I spoke about him was like one sentence, but you've made it more than that.

Since you have already agreed that Valencia and Darmian are both rubbish at crosses, I am going to leave it at that. Regarding your point that "Darmain looks like an under 16 playing in an adult game. At least with Valencia who is not the greatest he doesn't get dominated (by fleet foot wingers)" , I am just going to share some simple statistics to make my point.
Source: Squawka
Link: This

I checked the duels section too and as expected Darmian was better in Defensive duels and Valencia in offensive one's. Same goes for attacking stats, Valencia was far ahead. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a simple case of how you want the team to set-up. If you are not going to expect much of a threat down your right hand side, case in point the Villa game, it makes sense to use Valencia. But if you want some Tactical solidity defensively, Darmian is the way to go. I personally prefer the former, but even then I would prefer someone like Varela being given that responsibility over Valencia. So I am not really watching a different game tbh, especially stats seem to back up what I have been saying all along.

Norris

But @Lawman, you are right, Valencia sure loves keeping possession :lol:

Edit: Darmian's attacking numbers were actually pretty decent for Torino in previous seasons, but yeah, it has become just non-existent at United.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Darmian horrific defensively ? I am sorry, but that is just plain wrong. On two ocassions, he saved us with crucial clearances in the season, moments where he ended up being injured because of that. He's the best I have seen this season at 1 v 1s. And he's tactically very sound. He's not great going forward, but like I mentioned before that was never his strong suit. No point complaining about him being rubbish in attacking when he's never been great at it throughout his career.

And Valencia is a squad player at best. He is woefully inept in defense (Though he has improved a lot since he first started out at RB). In attacking, all he cares about is not losing possession. He will protect that at all cost, fair play to him for that though. But defensively, it is a no contest between him and Darmian. In the same way, it's a no contest between those two in an attacking sense. It just depends on what you are looking for in that RB position on a game to game basis.

Rojo had a pretty decent season last year, which you might have forgotten. Yeah, I am not going to claim he's great or anything, since all I spoke about him was like one sentence, but you've made it more than that.
What the actual feck? Darmain looks like someone who was a lucky loser in a contest to get into the United team. Horrific might have been an understatement if anything. He's been terrible defensively. At every aspect of defensive play in fact. It's only the new toy syndrome that's preventing the criticism towards him from being even worse.

You're right about Valencia being a squad player at best but when the other option is Darmian then he's got to be an unquestionable starter. I don't even like Valencia, who in an ideal world would have been sold long ago.

Rojo had a terrible season last time round as well. Just took some time for the new signing feel good factor to wear off before people realized just how shite he was. Definitely the worst defender I've seen at United.

Norris

What the actual feck? Darmain looks like someone who was a lucky loser in a contest to get into the United team. Horrific might have been an understatement if anything. He's been terrible defensively. At every aspect of defensive play in fact. It's only the new toy syndrome that's preventing the criticism towards him from being even worse.

You're right about Valencia being a squad player at best but when the other option is Darmian then he's got to be an unquestionable starter. I don't even like Valencia, who in an ideal world would have been sold long ago.

Rojo had a terrible season last time round as well. Just took some time for the new signing feel good factor to wear off before people realized just how shite he was. Definitely the worst defender I've seen at United.
There's no new toy syndrome for either of Darmian or Rojo. People are just the using that as a reason to damage them more than needed. People are just over-reacting like crazy. If you go check squawka and compare those three players for the season, like expected Darmian wins most of the Defensive categories and Valencia the attacking one's. So how is it possible that what you are saying about Darmian being woeful defensively is not agreeing with actual statistics ?? That doesn't make sense to me. I agree he hasn't had a great debut season, but I do think he can get much much better. And confidence wise, he is shot. That's plain as day to anyone who sees him in a game. But to suggest Valencia is miles ahead is just plain wrong. They offer different things to a game. Personally, I still want to see Varela given more game time, and Valencia his back-up. But in tight tactical games against maybe Pep's City or Chelsea, Darmian to play at RB.

As for Rojo, again more over-reaction. He's not played much this season and there have been better LB's than him as well. But he was indeed very good last season except for the moments of madness he produced every now and then. Again, like Valencia, he's a good squad player to have. Once Shaw returns, that's exactly what he will be as well. So I don't see the point in castigating him so much and going as as far as calling him the worst defender to have ever donned a United Jersey. His role is clearly defined once we have a full strength squad. Same an Valencia, same as Darmian.

Sigma

@Ijazz17 Your showing average per game. Bearing in mind how Darmian as started more games and Valencia has come of the bench in most games that skews the results quite severely.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I would rate the like this:

1v1 defending:
Valencia- 7
Darmian- 5

Positioning:
Valencia- 3
Darmian- 9

Attacking:
Valencia- 7
Darmian- 3

And I think Valencia's positioning is bad enough that I'd prefer Darmian for most games.
FWIW, I'd give Rafael 7s in all 3 categories, making him comfortably better than both overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.