g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Going forward he's more than good enough for a right full back. He's quick, strong and has always been a good outlet despite his iffy crossing.

It's his positioning he needs to work on. He's fine against smaller sides but gets dragged out of position too often against the better players. He also makes too many silly fouls in our own half. I think these are things that Mourinho can work on, though. Especially if he's to set the defence up zonally, leaving less room for defenders to roam about and leave gaps.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think his crossing was pretty abysmal, considering he was hitting shins the whole time. But he looks to be much more confident going forward so far under Jose. I've been really impressed with him this preseason.

ti vu

So was it our strikers making Valencia look bad?
Not really. His crossings already turned shite in SAF's last couple seasons despite we still have Rooney in good shape (better than the last couple seasons), and RVP's 20th PL title. For some weird reasons (not sure if it's coaching since he had the same problem with 3 different coaches), he's just persistent with the shin killing cross for years. Last few pre season games, he actually crosses better (similar to his prime as winger).

Robbie Boy

He definitely still has his shortcomings as a fullback but I also think he does a decent job there.

We need an rvn

I'm afraid I shall be in the minority here but here goes. Much as I love the fact that he has learnt how to cross the ball in the air again, he was caught out several times by long balls over his head to the opposing winger yesterday - he is no hot shot at heading either. He is not the answer at full back in my opinion.
I'm with you on this one. He's still a one trick pony, crosses aren't fantastic and at his age I doubt he'll be able to improve his positional sense as much as we need for him to become a top RB.

I think though we'll have to put up with him until next summer given our net spend this summer.

Nothing personal against him, just not for me. But please prove me wrong and I'll gladly put my hands up and say sorry.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'm with you on this one. He's still a one trick pony, crosses aren't fantastic and at his age I doubt he'll be able to improve his positional sense as much as we need for him to become a top RB.

I think though we'll have to put up with him until next summer given our net spend this summer.

Nothing personal against him, just not for me. But please prove me wrong and I'll gladly put my hands up and say sorry.
Have to put up with him assisting Zlatan?

Being a one trick pony is fine if the trick is effective.

Steven7290

When he has a big target up front, his crossing is not that dreadful is it? He has been the creator for all of Zlatan's goals for us thus far.

stevoc

Yes. I am beginning to think that his crossing last season wasn't that bad and that our strikers just didn't capitalise on them.
His crossing was bad, the forwards rarely had the opportunity to capitalise on them as it was a rare occurrence when one made it past the fullbacks shin.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I have a feeling that the Valencia -> Ibrahimovic route is going to be rather fruitful for us this season.
Although I don't expect any praise for my foresight considering they've already linked up well in pre-season.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That is terrific play right there.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's doing really well isn't he. Pleased for him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Looked like the Valencia circa 2011/12 which was probably his best season for us; regularly bombing forward, powerful, strong and of course important to the goal as well. Can be very pleased with his performance, should definitely be our first choice RB for now.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
How many goals has he been involved in so far? Looking good, Tony!

Bugshot

He's not a squad player. He's fecking brilliant and should be the first name on the team sheet.

DeOddi

Has been really good since coming back from injury last season. Running up and down the right side all game. He was basically our only offensive outlet in the first half today, and played well all game (defensively and on the offense).

I just hope Shaw starts contributing anyhting going forward as well, then we´ll be really hard to defend against.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Immense as always

But yeah he is one mistake away from his detractors calling for his head

Status
Not open for further replies.