Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
This is actually my biggest problem with Tony - always needs that extra touch. Most attacking players would have buried that first time.

That's probably why so many of his crosses are blocked...
Yeah, he never really seems to surprise the opponent, one of the most predictable pro players out there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Made an assist for the third one too. And this is against Chile!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't understand how he performs so well offensively for Ecuador and is just plain average with us.
From what I've seen over the years he doesn't play as a winger for them - more like a right sided attacker. He cuts inside and occupies central spaces, shoots more often (well, he just shoots, which he didn't do for us for a few seasons, I think).

Plus the confidence and responsibility, obviously. With us he is a support player - always was and always will be. With his national team he was their superstar for years (there are a few talented players there now, but he still is the brightest one), playing for Manchester United and all. It elevates his game massively

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
From what I've seen over the years he doesn't play as a winger for them - more like a right sided attacker. He cuts inside and occupies central spaces, shoots more often (well, he just shoots, which he didn't do for us for a few seasons, I think).

Plus the confidence and responsibility, obviously. With us he is a support player - always was and always will be. With his national team he was their superstar for years (there are a few talented players there now, but he still is the brightest one), playing for Manchester United and all. It elevates his game massively
Yes that hit the nail on the head.

Interestingly, while most international players get criticized for not replicating their club form for their national team, Valencia's one of those who has been the opposite. He always performed for Ecuador even when playing poorly at United.

Further to this, apparently he's just recently separated from his wife, something which has been reported in Ecuadorian media outlets. Somehow as a result he's playing the best football he has in years.

criticalanalysis

1st half: Feck me, look at the amount of times he's having touches in the middle of the park, drifting around, linking up play and yet still have those trademark surging right wing runs. We really should vary the play so that he can come inside more.

2nd half: Feck me, look at all that space and insane acceleration and pace he has. Oh and whytf doesn't he have a left foot? How many chances/potential opportunities did he let go due not be able to vary his game because of said missing left foot. Sigh.

What an athlete and professional. All that mental and physical dedication, surely there's some space for a bit of left foot training?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
1st half: Feck me, look at the amount of times he's having touches in the middle of the park, drifting around, linking up play and yet still have those trademark surging right wing runs. We really should vary the play so that he can come inside more.

2nd half: Feck me, look at all that space and insane acceleration and pace he has. Oh and whytf doesn't he have a left foot? How many chances/potential opportunities did he let go due not be able to vary his game because of said missing left foot. Sigh.

What an athlete and professional. All that mental and physical dedication, surely there's some space for a bit of left foot training?
He's in his 30s, I doubt there's anytime left for that. And I don't see the big issue with his left foot, loads of players are dominant footed in one or an other and never get criticised for using one over the other.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's in his 30s, I doubt there's anytime left for that. And I don't see the big issue with his left foot, loads of players are dominant footed in one or an other and never get criticised for using one over the other.
It's more to do with how predictable it makes him on the ball, position yourself to show him inside and it's half the job done.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jesus that tackle was impressive.

Crazy that after all these years, I am still impressed at his pace and power.

tom33

Probably the second best player on the pitch after Herrera in my opinion. Defended really well and managed to get forward every now and again without losing his discipline.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I said it in the De Gea thread and I'll say it here; where's the GIF?

That was a fantastic challenge.

Djemba-Djemba

An absolutely heroic tackle there at the end. I'd already resigned myself to it being a goal before Tony saved the day.

Was very good in general too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Incase anyone didn't notice it was his shocking positioning that led to the chance. But it was an absolutely fantastic recovery.
Clever positioning from firmino more tbh.
He sat between Valencia and Bailly, he couldn't really tuck in too much as the right side was wide open.

lem8sh

Clever positioning from firmino more tbh.
He sat between Valencia and Bailly, he couldn't really tuck in too much as the right side was wide open.
Still would question his position but his pace off the mark is incredible
You're probably right, but what do you actually get out of posting negative shit in here? It's really tedious.
?? Don't see what was negative its just what did happen, actually think he has improved positionally and his raw power and pace is a huge asset.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That tackle on Firmino was absolutely fantastic, he's had to catch up with him first because the lesbian was metres ahead of him still managed to pull out a beauty. Very good performance overall I thought.

twitter thread suggester
Must say Tony is slowly becoming one of my favorite players. The most solid player in the world. I am never anxious when he is near the ball.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That tackle sealed the deal for MOTM for me, he, Herrera and DDG were tied at that point

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
That tackle was amazing but he also closed the gapto Firminho within no time, he's still quick as feck.

Rossa

That tackle was amazing but he also closed the gapto Firminho within no time, he's still quick as feck.
Don't think he has lost pace. I talked to a guy who still trains as an athlete as well as plays football; some time ago he dislocated his shoulder and some other injury whilst running at full pelt. After that, he has noticed that when carrying the ball he is hesitant at running full out, whereas tracking the ball he has lost no pace, and he is closer to 40. I'm thinking the same might have happened with Valencia as I've never seen him outpaced defensively, not once, but he has become more reluctant to take on players, slowly recovering though. That tackle was immense, but he also had some great surging runs forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.